• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
I can't imagine ZoE HD not coming to Vita, MGS HD seems to be the biggest Vita release outside of Uncharted so far, it must be making money.

patsu

Going by how hard it is to find matches these days.... not many.

For the first year or so, I think Sony and partners should make MP Vita games CrossPlay with PS3. It would solve the MP player base issue too.

I play Vita games all over the place. I seldom start MP game on Vita because I hate to quit out half way.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I can't imagine ZoE HD not coming to Vita, MGS HD seems to be the biggest Vita release outside of Uncharted so far, it must be making money.

MGS is well known IP to PlayStation fans (maybe their biggest nostalgic IP after Gran turismo), ZOE is bomba IP.

and you can't blame Konami if they don't bring it to Vita,since even something obvious and fit handhelds like LBP Karting or Tokyo jungle aren't coming to Vita and these are Sony's titles.

StuBurns

Banned
MGS is well known IP to PlayStation fans (maybe their biggest nostalgic IP after Gran turismo), ZOE is bomba IP.

and you can't blame Konami if they don't bring it to Vita,since even something obvious and fit handhelds like LBP Karting or Tokyo jungle aren't coming to Vita and these are Sony's titles.
Good points certainly. It seems like such a great fit, but maybe they feel they need the Rising demo to pull in decent numbers.

Takao

Banned
I didn't see myself buying multiplatform games on Vita, but the HD Remasters are the exception really. I'd buy FFX on Vita over PS3 no doubt.

Which makes you wonder why the Jak, and Ratchet HD Collections don't have Vita SKUs.

Oh wait, those are SCEA releases. Makes sense.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Which makes you wonder why the Jak, and Ratchet HD Collections don't have Vita SKUs.

Oh wait, those are SCEA releases. Makes sense.

it's no like SCEJ and SCEE are doing any better supporting Vita (no team Never HD Collection, no LBP Karting, Killzone Vita is nowhere..ect).

Takao

Banned
it's no like SCEJ and SCEE are doing any better supporting Vita (no team Never HD Collection, no LBP Karting, Killzone Vita is nowhere..ect).

Team Ico Collection is getting Vita exclusive remote play patched in
LBP Karting is an SCEA game
Cambridge is still working on Killzone

RpgN

Kazerei said:
GAF, let's post reviews/recommendations of the Vita games we've played.

Your mini-reviews are neat! I'm going to post reviews/recommendations only for the games I've cleared on the main campaign/offline mode at least.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss

The game started pretty weak that I was getting worried wether it was the right decision to play this. The first three of so chapters were very typical, bland and uninspiring. The only thing it had going on for it were the graphics. Then it picked up in chapter 4, it started showing elements that were unique to this Uncharted game and I started appreciating the motion controls. The game kept getting better until you reach a point where it becomes really good.

The game has beautiful graphics and great music. The controls are good for the most part but you'll need to get used with the aiming at first, combining aiming with motion controls helped the game a lot. It is also well paced with fairly short chapters to keep you motivated and interested to play more. The story is nothing out of the ordinary, however the characters are very likeable and I liked that it wasn't over the top like some hollywood wannabe games.

What made this Uncharted game more unique was the way you collect treasures and the motion controls. Unlike Uncharted 1 (I have yet to play part 2 or 3), Bend found a way to make treasures more enjoyable to collect and actually add a bit to the background story. Sometimes you have to take pictures, rubb pieces of objects, form puzzles and simply collect them. This made you feel like you was more of a treasure hunter. Motion controls do add to the game and make it more involving, though not all of it was just as strong. Also while I like the idea of bounties, they really should have upped the time limit. Three hours is too short. A statistic menu would have been welcome too, it's nice to have some messages that show up in the game but it would be nice to be able to access this information at all times as well.

The game is a must have for Uncharted fans and a well rounded package to have for Vita owners. You'd think the game would be a short one based on how gorgeous it looks, but it actually has a decent amount of content on your first playthrough. Personally I think it's better than Uncharted 1 overall.

Everybody's Golf

Also my first game in the series. The game gives you pleasant feeling with all the colourful characters and everything being so cute. But looks can be deceiving. The game is all about raw skill and it happily ups the difficulty drastically. If you stick with it however, the game will be a very rewarding one.

The game has a lot of depth with its system and mechanic, that I honestly didn't see this coming. I think this is a good thing though, it keeps the game interesting. It can be the kind of game you'd always come back to and play for a long time. I think that was the reason way there are so many items to buy and characters to train, it's not meant to be done on your first playthrough.

The game has fine graphics, I find them basic and very appealing at the same. The music is fine too and the controls are just right. This is a game that you don't have much to complain about. If you want to have a golf game on the Vita and don't mind some challenge, then this too should be part of your collection.

Little Deviants

This is the kind of game that is going to get a lot of hate on Neogaf. The game has all kinds of touch inputs except for the good old traditional buttons. Also because it was showcased as a more original take on platforming. It turned out to be a mini-games collection in the end.

The game consists of 30 mini-games, 16 kinds being original and the rest being variations from the previous ones. The game is divided in 6 regions, each having different themes. You can also collect moggers (cats), one being scattered in every game.

Let's start with the graphics. The game looks gorgeous, it looks very vibrant, is native resolution and I think it's 60fps. It runs very smoothly with a bit of loading times here and there (it's normal and nothing crazy). The game has an enjoyable and fitting music as well. There's a lot to do if you're trying to get gold in every game and care about highscores.

As for the controls and the way the games are build up. I don't feel this game is a traditional mini-games collection, it feels more gamey and has bit more depth than what you'd expect. It feels like a mini-games collection for gamers instead of casuals (if that makes sense). The controls are fine for the majority of the games. There are some where you need to get used to and rare once where you wish you could use buttons but that disappears once you get used to those ones.

The game is not going to convince gamers who are allergic to anything that has to do with motion controls. If you do enjoy playing those type of games once in a while, then this would be nice to have. Certainly when it doesn't cost much now. It is better than many mini-games collections.

WipEout 2048

The first WipEout game I completed (WipEout HD is going to be completed tomorrow) :) With WipEout games, you expect products that are close to perfection. Expectations are very high based on how Studio Liverpool handled the games with care. 2048 feels a bit different but yet familiar and more inviting.

The game is a bit of a prologue with the timeline and therefore we have a setting that is more urban and more familiar instead of futuristic and surreal. The new areas are gorgeous to look at and are a sight to behold. Sure it's not 1080p or 60fps, but it didn't distract from the experience. As expected, the presentation and menus has that WipEout standard. The menu is enjoyable to navigate thanks to the touch screen. It's only a shame the loading times are on the long side.

Gameplay has been tweaked a bit, with slightly different controls, speed class changed to A, B etc, defence and offence pads being separate, stats for the ships also changed a bit and more of those minor tweaks. The game feels more inviting for the less punishing requirements and obtaining normal and elite pass instead of bronze, zilver and gold medals. Also some of the real challenging A+ races, have become optional instead of a requirement to finish the game. The game has good challenge but you won't be doing races like the 8th event from WipEout HD to finish the main mode.

The game is a good old WipEout yet it feels like its own game with a slightly different take. I loved it so much that it got me motivated to find my old WipEout HD save and finish it (huge backlog yo).

Shinobido 2

I'm going to be short about this one (omg, I typed too much). If you like Tenchu games, you're going to love this. It's a more refined version with more freedom, variety and some lite rpg elements. It controls great, has crazy depth with the alchemy system and there is a lot to unlock once you finish it once. This game begs you to play more than once with its different endings, factions to support, alt costumes, character swaps, everything brought over to new game plus and higher difficulty settings that are exciting apparently.

You only have to keep in mind that this feels like a very sharp ps2 looking game with its animation and graphics. The environments can be downright ps1 bad. But if you're an oldschool gamer that just wants a good Tenchu game, this is worth looking into.

Escape Plan

Almost forgot about this little one. This is a unique little game. It's a great example of an experimental PSN game that has charm and something about it. The stages are so short, they can take seconds. That's what makes it enjoyable to pick up and have that one more round. I finished this recently with the latest patch and it feels pretty perfect if you ask me. It has a great style, good graphics, nice humour, good music. It all works well together.

It's a must have if you like playing with experiments that have succeeded.

It's rare for me to finish many so quickly during a launch period and enjoy every one of them. This has been a great launch to experience as far as I'm concerned. And still I'm not done, I'm far enough with Motorstorm RC and Gravity Rush and I have Unit 13, Viruta Tennis 4, Mutant Blobs Attack and Super Stardust Delta waiting to be played.

Mileena

Banned
Uh it's a 2 year old port being sold at a premium close to launch. I don't understand what their expectations could be.
Apparently no one bought it for $9.99 either! Let's be honest here, price and quality have nothing to do with Vita games selling poorly. More people bought Resistance than Gravity Rush.

Crap! It's been about 1.5 months now, and I'm still in the "honeymoon" phase with my PS Vita, but as of today I suddenly have two small scratches on my front touch screen. It's not unusable now, but it's quite noticeable when the screen is displaying white or other bright colours.

I don't have any screen protectors but I always kept the Vita in a case and take care of the screen with a microfiber cloth. I guess it must have happend during normal operations :( Well, I guess it had to happen some day...

Crap! It's been about 1.5 months now, and I'm still in the "honeymoon" phase with my PS Vita, but as of today I suddenly have two small scratches on my front touch screen. It's not unusable now, but it's quite noticeable when the screen is displaying white or other bright colours.

I don't have any screen protectors but I always kept the Vita in a case and take care of the screen with a microfiber cloth. I guess it must have happend during normal operations :( Well, I guess it had to happen some day...

Sorry to hear that. I learned with my PSP that no matter how well I took care of it - it'd get screen scratches eventually. Which is why I went and put down the 9 bucks for a screen protector this time around.

SO ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO HAVE NAKED SCREEN VITAS BE WARNED. IT. WILL. SCRATCH.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
SCEJ seem to be pushing Time Travellers a lot more than Nintendo are.

sadly Time Travellers look horrible and uninteresting (well just like all their games since after Dark Cloud 2), I wish if Awful-5 kept Ushiro alive instead of this, Ushiro at least was interesting with Persona vibes all over it.

patsu

I did it ! I finally excavated the @$;/($&@$)%}* Nyko Power Grip from the San Jose GameStop ruins.

I haz double the super power now !!!

spannicus

I hope we get more Uncharted level graphics because that game was beautiful. If COD can pull that off with multiplayer intact it will be awesome.

Koroviev

Sorry to hear that. I learned with my PSP that no matter how well I took care of it - it'd get screen scratches eventually. Which is why I went and put down the 9 bucks for a screen protector this time around.

SO ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO HAVE NAKED SCREEN VITAS BE WARNED. IT. WILL. SCRATCH.

The only scratch I had on my NDS was from trying to apply a bloody screen protector. No thanks.

DR2K

Banned
Apparently no one bought it for $9.99 either! Let's be honest here, price and quality have nothing to do with Vita games selling poorly. More people bought Resistance than Gravity Rush.

It sold out at most Gamestops for that price. I'm just saying that their expectations should not be so high at launch for a game that most people have already played.

StuBurns

Banned
sadly Time Travellers look horrible and uninteresting (well just like all their games since after Dark Cloud 2), I wish if Awful-5 kept Ushiro alive instead of this, Ushiro at least was interesting with Persona vibes all over it.
Well, this kind of attack of Ni no Kuni will not go unpunished. Await your verdict, it will be swift and brutal.

I bought the Vita, Uncharted, Wipeout, and Gravity Rush. Good choices? I'm now a part of this party. Been wanting a Vita since reveal and this was the right choice for me, I think. I wanted to get on board before Ass Creed came out.

Yes. Welcome to the cool club. :3 More Vitas need to sell before we can afford snacks, but we have punch!

Koroviev

I bought the Vita, Uncharted, Wipeout, and Gravity Rush. Good choices? I'm now a part of this party. Been wanting a Vita since reveal and this was the right choice for me, I think. I wanted to get on board before Ass Creed came out.

I'm doing Vita's work.

kuroshiki

It sold out in most of my nearby gamestops (which are 6 of them) in one day.

I don't know what you talking about.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I hope we get more Uncharted level graphics because that game was beautiful.

Bend is good studio,one of the best at SCEWWS, Syphon Filter on this engine on Vita will be heavenly
Bend working on Syphon Filter again lolololololololz keep dreamn guys

anyway I think Gravity Rush (an open world) just needed some AA to completely blow Uncharted GA, but unfortunately lack of AA hurt it visually.

Well, this kind of attack of Ni no Kuni will not go unpunished. Await your verdict, it will be swift and brutal.

Well I am still waiting for the US version of Ni no Kuni but I heard that Awful-5 were at their worst in this game,and that it was complete disgrace to Ghibli's name,also it bombed hard in japan too so..

Well, don't you sound bitter. :p

I moved on on Ushiro's death long time ago.

StuBurns

Banned
Well I am still waiting for the US version of Ni no Kuni but I heard that Awful-5 were at their worst in this game,and that is was complete disgrace to Ghibli name, it bombed hard in japan too so..
To be fair, I've heard all the same, but my heart is covering it's ears, shouting "lalalalala I'm not listening", so we shall have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom