• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzy

I think Kotaku is overblowing the significance of this, and I trust that, as a voice actor, Sarah Natochenny has more voices than just Ash. I don't have any problem with this news.

Yeah, but this is Kotaku we're talking about, being reductive is kind of their thing!

bede-x

By the way, the biggest complaint about ape escape psp remake was the lack of analogue....anyone tried it on vita?

Yep, I have it and would recommend avoiding it. Get it as a PS One classic at some point, because it really is too cluncky in the remake without that extra analog stick. Hasen't aged gracefully either with small areas with loading between them and too much chaperoning in tutorials.

Quite inventive though and there's tons of potential for a new game in the series.

Skyzard

Banned
It's also just a game kotaku, in fact, quite neat it is by the same person as Ash. More curious to see how it sounds now actually..Just seemed like he researched it way too much and his final point didn't really matter at all. I'm sure it will give the publisher a laugh when they read it, if he even dared to send the question..this article had to be approved? Anything to get some vita bashing, eh?

Yep, I have it and would recommend avoiding it. Get it as a PS One classic at some point, because it really is too cluncky in the remake without that extra analog stick. Hasen't aged gracefully either with small areas with loading between them and too much chaperoning in tutorials.

Quite inventive though and there's tons of potential for a new game in the series.

Thanks for the info. I was also wondering if those issues are fixed by possible remapping in the vita? I would prefer to get the original but it's not on the european store.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Remember a few weeks ago with Borderlands 2 and "girl friend mode"?
I don't think the two are comparable. Girlfriend mode shows a level of sexism that has become rooted in video games; this is an article that asks why a black video game character doesn't have a black voice actor so that she can "sound black."

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I don't think the two are comparable. Girlfriend mode shows a level of sexism that has become rooted in video games; this is an article that asks why a black video game character doesn't have a black voice actor so that she can "sound black."

That's even dumber.

My mistake then.

So, what are the chances of an Assassin's Creed III and Assassin's Creed: Liberation combo pack?

That's probably up to Ubisoft.

bede-x

Thanks for the info. I was also wondering if those issues are fixed by possible remapping in the vita?

In the original you had one stick to move and another to use gadgets with the direction you held deciding which way/direction you used the gadget. On PSP those functions are mapped to one stick that moves your character and a button that activates gadgets. You can remap certain functions of other buttons to the right stick, but not add new functions that weren't in the original game. You simply switch where the functions are activated. The following options are available:

6pO6j.jpg

What you're probably gonna end up doing is add the d-pad to the right stick, giving you camera control that's painfully slow on the second stick, but getting closer to the original would be mapping the left analog stick to the right one, so you move a gadget in the direction you point the right analog stick. It obviously doesn't work very well, since both sticks then control the main character and the way that works is the left stick takes precedent over the right. Doesn't work and doesn't feel like the original that seemed designed around showing off two analog sticks.

Add to that the feeling of early generation 3D platformer with all the limitations that involved in terms of camera handling, level geometry and size, and I think skipping this and trying out the original if you get the chance at some point, would be the better option.

MooMoo

Hm, the 32GB Mem Card is running for $71.99 on Amazon. Kind of tempted to bite...I think that's the lowest price I've seen yet.

Skyzard

Banned
Thank you for the detailed response bede-x, will take your advice and wait for the ps1 version to drop hopefully. Seems like it was a big enough title.

I never really knew about Ape Escape until recently when the MGS collection for vita came out and I found out why it didn't have the monkey chasing that I really used to enjoy. A whole game based on that...yes please.

=-=

I also recently watched the Spyro reviews and have to say that 1 looks a lot worse than 2, which probably won't come till even longer (to EU, not sure if US has it).

I still picked up Crash 1 as it does things reasonable well and will want to work my way up but is there even a point with Spyro 1?

Skyzard

Banned
^ Insane...even at £50 that is too much...although if I didn't already pay £40 or so for the 16GB I'd probably bite on £50. Now I'd basically want some half price reduction like amazon gave the 16 here..(not sure if that is still going).

edit: Perhaps you meant $79.99? I just checked amazon (UK anyway)...£58.49 not ridiculous..

PSOne Classics seems to be finally on the Vita PSN store, I assume that happened sometime today? I checked yesterday and was getting zip

Is Arc the Lad 1 worth a punt at £1.59?

Does anyone know if Portable Ops is compatible on Vita in North America?
Ya, I've got it on my Vita and it runs fine... I even transferred my PSP save over (but no Transfaring for me since I played/finished the game on my PSP long before the HD bundle was released)...

edit:
I mean Portable Ops not Peace Walker.
Ooops... reading comprehension fail... :) Haven't tried Portable Ops... I think I own the digital version of that as well as the UMD though, so I'll give it a try and report back...

Ya, I've got it on my Vita and it runs fine... I even transferred my PSP save over (but no Transfaring for me since I played/finished the game on my PSP long before the HD bundle was released)...

I think you need to PS3 transfer to the Vita -- it's not up on the store in the US at least.

Add it to the list of things I'd buy if SCEA got their heads out of their asses.

CLEEK

I want to see Wipeout 2097 and Wipeout 3 soon in the EU store. Are they available in other stores?

It's rare to find PSone games on PSN that have licensed music. The likes of Wipeout 2097, 3, GT and GT2 are all glaring omissions from the store, and I can only think of licensing being the reason they're missing.

I've got the physical discs for 2097 and Wip3out SE, and they still hold up today in the playability stakes, with 3 SE holding up graphically too (high res mode, widescreen etc). It's a real shame they'll probably never see light of day as a digital release.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Holy shit,Alundra look absolutely freaking amazing on the damn thing,I mean DAYUM.

Best Zelda game ever and it's now prettier than ever.

stupei

That's not... really what it's saying.

If you read the article, it mostly just asks the question: is it slightly disingenuous to promote casting a minority voice actor for one game while another game that also has a non-white lead (again, used as a bullet point in promotion) doesn't do likewise?

When it's not voice work, it is offensive and upsetting when minority actors don't get work because characters are whitewashed. Is it inconsequential in voice acting simply because we don't see the person the sounds come from? I think it's a legitimate thing to discuss, though obviously jumping on Ubi in a rage would be uncalled for.

Fortunately, Kotaku doesn't do that at all.

Has anyone had issues with transferring stuff between the PS3<->Vita since the 1.8 update?

My PS3 keeps freezing up unexpectedly when the Vita says it couldn't transfer the content. It seems to happen randomly (i.e. I can restart the PS3 and it'll work normally).

I'm using wireless (having my iMac generate a wireless signal since my router is busted and I have only one ethernet cable to work with) if that makes any difference.

patsu

Has anyone had issues with transferring stuff between the PS3<->Vita since the 1.8 update?

My PS3 keeps freezing up unexpectedly when the Vita says it couldn't transfer the content. It seems to happen randomly (i.e. I can restart the PS3 and it'll work normally).

I'm using wireless (having my iMac generate a wireless signal since my router is busted and I have only one ethernet cable to work with) if that makes any difference.

I transferred some stuff last 2 nights. Didn't see the problem.

Is your PS3 using the latest firmware ? I _think_ 4.21 is optional.

I transferred some stuff last 2 nights. Didn't see the problem.

Is your PS3 using the latest firmware ? I _think_ 4.21 is optional.

Yep, using 4.21 (PS+ autp-downloaded it for me). Only thing I can guess is that it contacts Sony's servers during the move and the wireless acted up during it.

I guess I'll just move the ethernet cord over and do the transfer wired on my PS3, then move it back and transfer to the PC (using that as my backup instead of my PS3 since I have a ton of digital games on my PS3).

branny

I think I'm going to buy a bunch of PSone games soon. I'm worried some of them will have input lag or run weird though. Is anyone keeping track of the supposed problem games (I think a couple of the Mega Man games, Hot Shots Golf 2, etc.)?

patsu

Yep, using 4.21 (PS+ autp-downloaded it for me). Only thing I can guess is that it contacts Sony's servers during the move and the wireless acted up during it.

I guess I'll just move the ethernet cord over and do the transfer wired on my PS3, then move it back and transfer to the PC (using that as my backup instead of my PS3 since I have a ton of digital games on my PS3).

Open /Application/Utilities/Console.app to see if there are any error messages on the Mac side.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Does the PSP emulator have the ability to use a DS3 as a controller like the Go did?

Carl

I really feel like buying:

MGS
FF7-9
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

But I feel like I'd be rewarding SCEA with $46 of my money for their blundering incompetence. :

MGS is good on Vita. Replaying it for the first time in a while. Looks and plays well. Kinda dark in thoe vents though :p

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm about to be done with Sound Shapes. What a great game. I even liked those death challenges!

Now I think I'm gonna start Mutant Blob, which I had since the day the Vita launched. I also started playing MediEvil and will also start RE2.

Question, does Soul Reaver hold up? I remember it being an awesome game back in the day.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
tick tick tick, 2nd job almost done and almost time to.d/l Wild Arms.. : )

You really should play Arc the Lad sometime. AtL 1 adds some things to AtL2 and AtL is like 12 hours of gameplay at most. Pretty short for an RPG even less if you don't do the deep dungeon bit.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Holy shit,Alundra look absolutely freaking amazing on the damn thing,I mean DAYUM.

Best Zelda game ever and it's now prettier than ever.

Yeah, I've been playing Alundra and Syphony of the Night. Alundra's sprite work and background work is stunning.

SOTN looks phenomenal as well. Loving them both. I'll eventually sink more time into Vagrant Story as well. I just want Chrono Cross to show up on the US store already. I'm dying to replay it on that screen. It looked great on the PSP, I can't imagine it's going to look worse on the Vita. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom