• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, is a game like Bastion possible on the Vita? The recent iOS release made me a little sad...

Why wouldn't it be? I should think it could be done, especially considering some of the stuff we've seen already on the Vita.

--

I love the fact that the US PSOne emulator gives the PSP warning screen. WTF.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Why wouldn't it be? I should think it could be done, especially considering some of the stuff we've seen already on the Vita.

--

I love the fact that the US PSOne emulator gives the PSP warning screen. WTF.

I think it was said back a few pages that it is using the PSX emulator that was on the PSP. I could be wrong though.

Boy's Don't Cry. She played a transgender.

Skyzard

Banned
That is a bit of a shame..about the psx emu. I do notice some slowdowns in a few games...but haven't ever tried them on ps3 anyway. Don't remember from ps1 that well either. It's definitely good enough though I hope we do keep getting some updates to it.

..also flying through crash bandicoot! man this was a lot harder when I was younger. Save system seems pretty weird though - only if you reach the end of the bonus stages...meh. Hope you guys get it patched soon. Seems like they must have went out of their way to prevent it working for you guys though :/ It has to be licensing ? Not sure why licensing of crash would be a bigger deal in US though.

patsu

Guys, is a game like Bastion possible on the Vita? The recent iOS release made me a little sad...

Technically ? Should be possible since Vita is powerful enough.

From what I read, Bastion runs on iPad via Mono.

It's the same development platform as Playstation Mobile. Porting could be relatively easy from the iPad version.

stupei

I think it was said back a few pages that it is using the PSX emulator that was on the PSP. I could be wrong though.

Boy's Don't Cry. She played a transgender.

Yes, I know. I wouldn't really describe a film about a transgendered character as oh that time Hillary swank pretended to have a dick because it seems to largely miss the actual premise of the entire film, but I guess that's the point of cleverly flippant responses on the internets.

Struck me as an odd thing for someone to say in the first place, let alone quoting as if it's an incredibly well-made point.

Also: the news about Blood Omen is hugely disappointing.

dochuge

So I bought an extra memory card so I can use my PS3 account and download PS1 games for my vita (vita and PS3 are on seperate accounts). I understand the process and it seems like you have to do a lot to get the 2nd card up and running. AFTER that do I simply switch memory cards and that's it or do I have to go through this process each time I switch cards?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I played Sam Sho yesterday online via Ad-hoc Party :)

That's through PS3 only, right? Did that work with a PSP 1000, or just later levels?

I went ahead and bought Shock Troopers, because I just needed SOMETHING from this sale, lol.

Wow, what a good emulation + package. Neo Geo Station titles work out to be about 8 bucks each (For PS3 and PSP versions) with this sale... if they'd re-release Neo-station to include both version for one purchase, and start releasing some new games, this would be a fantastic emulation method.

Man, I want some beat-em-ups on my Vita. They could at least get the Capcom Classics collections available for download on Vita... and would LOVE for Monkeypaw to be able to get Panzer Bandit as a PS1 Import!

With Minis, PS1, PSP games, Import Games games, and the Vita's own games all available for Vita itself, it really annoys me to see store updates with none of the back catalog playing catch-up to the store. WAY more than enough to be able to have new sales and store releases each week, without a single hitch.

Oh, and Dragon Fantasy Book II looks pretty cool. I've never heard of it before now, but now look forward to playing it:)

hwy_61

Banned
So, the only MGS I ever played was SoL. Thought it was amazing back then! Anyways, what's better to play through first, MGS1, or Snake Eater? I don't mind the PS1 graphics(FUCKING LOVE PIXELS), so that's not a deterrent.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
So, the only MGS I ever played was SoL. Thought it was amazing back then! Anyways, what's better to play through first, MGS1, or Snake Eater? I don't mind the PS1 graphics(FUCKING LOVE PIXELS), so that's not a deterrent.
Definitely MGS1. MGS3 kind of feels like a separate game from 1/2 (though good in its own, different way. You just had to expect it) So as someone who also loved 2 I fully recommend it. There are also references that will only make sense this way.

How does it implement the touch screen and touch pad?

It's used for zooming in cut scenes, inventory management, the "healing" menu stuff ie when you are healing burns fixing broken bones etc. You can also use it to leaning around cover, and some cqc moves.

All in all, the game itself is fantastic, the frame-rate is solid, controls are good, it was my first vita platinum. Highly recommended.

Just switched to my Japanese PSN to try out a few demos(including Project Diva f demo) and I really have no clue as to what I'm doing after this firmware update. Damn, man... (using a backup 4 GB card instead of my regular 16 GB.)

EDIT: Man, to rub salt in a wound, it's not reading my memory card anymore.

EDIT 2: Apparently it worked now and it made me format the card on my JPN account. Hopefully I backed up whatever was on it. =/

hwy_61

Banned
Definitely MGS1. MGS3 kind of feels like a separate game from 1/2 (though good in its own, different way. You just had to expect it) So as someone who also loved 2 I fully recommend it. There are also references that will only make sense this way.

Awesome! MGS1 it is! Thanks bro.

beason52

Neo Member

You could play MGS3 without the original but I think it makes more sense to play MGS first anyway. Playing MGS is required for MGS2 however...at least to follow the storyline

How does it implement the touch screen and touch pad?

You use the front touch to equip weapons and equipment etc.. For the rear touch you can use it to slit the throats of soldiers you have in a CQC hold. It was all very well done I thought. I think Snake Eater does have instructions on how to use the front and rear touch screens.

I think I'm going to buy a bunch of PSone games soon. I'm worried some of them will have input lag or run weird though. Is anyone keeping track of the supposed problem games (I think a couple of the Mega Man games, Hot Shots Golf 2, etc.)?

The general rule is to leave Disc Loading set to Normal and you should be fine. Setting it to fast on certain games makes them lag or glitch up.

zroid

Banned
Any good deals on Vita stuff in the US right now? I'm headed down there tomorrow for a few days, wondering if I should pick anything up.

Stores only, of course, online is no good to me.

whitehawk

Banned
Does the PSP emulator have the ability to use a DS3 as a controller like the Go did?
I would LOVE it if it did this. I could bring my dock with me and use the DS3 controller. I think we'll get an update for it, but not right now. It's also good to keep in mind that it wouldn't work for games that are touch screen and gyro heavy. But for something like Virtua Tennis, Ridge Racer, hell yeah.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
OMG these sniping controls for Uncharted's sniping portion of the demo is terrible. Please tell me there's a way to zoom in and out without using EITHER touch-pad (the back touchpad is awkward as fuck to use) and simply Ltrigger/right-stick and maybe up/down d-pad for it? I dunno how the hell you'd survive this section on Crushing if the controls are going to be this slow/awkward to use. :/

I haven't been keeping up with this thread too much recently. So I'm wondering, any opinons on downloads vs game card? Memory is still expensive, but it is tempting to have my games always available.

Do they still tie your save file to the game itself? I remember there being some complaints about that early on.

hwy_61

Banned
I haven't been keeping up with this thread too much recently. So I'm wondering, any opinons on downloads vs game card? Memory is still expensive, but it is tempting to have my games always available.

Look at it this way:

Wipeout at retail is $19.99
Wipeout on PSN is still full priced.

Until Sony can get their shit together with the pricing, I'd go with physical copies!

KalBalboa

Banned
Look at it this way:

Wipeout at retail is $19.99
Wipeout on PSN is still full priced.

Until Sony can get their shit together with the pricing, I'd go with physical copies!

It's as if they expect people to accidentally buy the more expensive versions of games rather than the retail ones they can trade in. Early adopters tend to be more technically savy, though... so what's their hold up?

hwy_61

Banned
It's as if they expect people to accidentally buy the more expensive versions of games rather than the retail ones they can trade in. Early adopters tend to be more technically savy, though... so what's their hold up?

Part of me thinks that a lot of these companies(Sony CAN'T be the only ones guilty of this) rely on the misinformed. I think there's still a pretty substantial amount of gamers out there who don't look for deals, who don't visit forums like GAF on the regular.

Or maybe Sony is just lazy.

patsu

OMG these sniping controls for Uncharted's sniping portion of the demo is terrible. Please tell me there's a way to zoom in and out without using EITHER touch-pad (the back touchpad is awkward as fuck to use) and simply Ltrigger/right-stick and maybe up/down d-pad for it? I dunno how the hell you'd survive this section on Crushing if the controls are going to be this slow/awkward to use. :/

Can't remember anymore. I think it's one of the shape buttons, and use gyro-aiming for fine adjustment.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Basically go PSN if you're getting it day one (or it's a Backwards Comp title... AKA: PSP/PSX). Retail if you aren't because Sony will NEVER price-drop according to the retail drops for their or third parties shit. :/

KalBalboa

Banned
Part of me thinks that a lot of these companies(Sony CAN'T be the only ones guilty of this) rely on the misinformed. I think there's still a pretty substantial amount of gamers out there who don't look for deals, who don't visit forums like GAF on the regular.

Sony definitely isn't. XBLA has some outrageous prices compared to retail, but... man, they dropped their own MSRP on these things. Wipeout 2048 at $17-20 on PSN would simply sell better, at least twice the volume it is now, wouldn't it? Hell, make it noteworthy on the Blog or something- do one Vita game a week if you have to be stingy about it.

So when will I be able to download FFVII on my PS Vita? Right now it just says that I can't download it on my PS Vita. Is this gonna change? I hope because otherwise I'm gonna demand a refund!

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
That's not... really what it's saying.

If you read the article, it mostly just asks the question: is it slightly disingenuous to promote casting a minority voice actor for one game while another game that also has a non-white lead (again, used as a bullet point in promotion) doesn't do likewise?

When it's not voice work, it is offensive and upsetting when minority actors don't get work because characters are whitewashed. Is it inconsequential in voice acting simply because we don't see the person the sounds come from? I think it's a legitimate thing to discuss, though obviously jumping on Ubi in a rage would be uncalled for.

Fortunately, Kotaku doesn't do that at all.

My apologies. I was being unfairly crass.

I'm of the opinion that it's inconsequential if a voice actor is of the same race as the character they're portraying, for the same reason that it doesn't bother me that gay characters in movies in movies are often portrayed by straight actors. I'd like games to have a more diverse set of characters, and Liberation accomplishes that regardless of the voice actor's ethnicity. The voice acting community seems largely incestuous anyway, so it doesn't surprise me that Ubisoft is going with a familiar, well-credited name. If she does justice to the character, I'll be happy, and I believe the actor can do the character justice regardless of whether or not her race matches up with the character she's portraying.

I didn't get the sense reading the article that Totillo is posing the question that you presented, so much as he's using that fact to frame the article and perhaps add support to his stance. I don't believe that casting a voice actor who has a similar ethnic background as the character she's portraying lends any credibility to that voice actor's performance; the performance itself is ultimately what I'll judge the voice actor on.

Same problem that SCEA had with the PSP prices on PSN. It looks like they haven't learned a damn thing. Very worrisome for Vita's future in the U.S.

Famassu

You really should play Arc the Lad sometime. AtL 1 adds some things to AtL2 and AtL is like 12 hours of gameplay at most. Pretty short for an RPG even less if you don't do the deep dungeon bit.
Everyone should finish the dungeon in 1 to get awesome shit in 2.

Bearpowers

Neo Member
Picking up a 32GB to upgrade from my 8GB, even 32GB isn't enough though.

I seriously hope we see 64GB mem cards soon.

Stupid PS1 classics and there being so many I want on my Vita.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom