• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane86

Wish there was a vertical fit option for ps one games, no need to have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, but don't want the image stretched sideways either.

Wish there was a vertical fit option for ps one games, no need to have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, but don't want the image stretched sideways either.

In my experience, "normal" is pretty close; if there's any black bars, they're ever so small... it's definitely better than the default and doesn't do anything to the screen like zoom/full as far as I can tell.

kodt

Banned
In my experience, "normal" is pretty close; if there's any black bars, they're ever so small... it's definitely better than the default and doesn't do anything to the screen like zoom/full as far as I can tell.

I tried Normal with MGS and it seemed to change the aspect ratio.

Cornbread78

its already translated lol except the extra stuff added

I'll say this, but please listen to it as if it's coming from a 5 yr old...

"Ya, but....."

Well, it's not Level-5, so we should see it pretty quickly, hopefully there will be retail copies as well and not just DD.

I tried Normal with MGS and it seemed to change the aspect ratio.

It might, slightly, but that's the closest thing to "vertical fit" there is, as far as I know... the aspect ratio didn't seem *that* off to me, but I think I only tried it quick with FF7 or Castlevania Chronicles.

AkuMifune

Banned
It might, slightly, but that's the closest thing to "vertical fit" there is, as far as I know... the aspect ratio didn't seem *that* off to me, but I think I only tried it quick with FF7 or Castlevania Chronicles.

Normal seems only to stretch the screen vertically. It definitely changes the ratio from original, you can tell from the UI in FF7. They need a custom screen option ASAP.

And I need someone to let me use their PS3 so I can put RE2 on my bad boy, also ASAP!

qcf x2

Yeah, I want some browser improvement, checkerboards all over the place.

The browser feels a LOT better. I actually used it last night for an hour or so; I couldn't stand using the original version for more than a minute at a time. There are still scrolling issues, but not to the extent that there used to be.

I still really want portrait view capability like the other poster suggested. For those of us that read articles (or manga) frequently, the vertical view would be invaluable, and more importantly would give me a reason to browser with the Vita instead of the iphone.

KalBalboa

Banned
The browser feels a LOT better. I actually used it last night for an hour or so; I couldn't stand using the original version for more than a minute at a time. There are still scrolling issues, but not to the extent that there used to be.

I still really want portrait view capability like the other poster suggested. For those of us that read articles (or manga) frequently, the vertical view would be invaluable, and more importantly would give me a reason to browser with the Vita instead of the iphone.

I hadn't even thought about a portrait view for the web browser... should that be added to the "Common Sense" updates?

Sony CEO and president Kaz Hirai says the PlayStation Vita is performing near expectations overall, but that it's "maybe trending behind in certain territories."

Huh, you don't say. Could that "territory" be NA because SCEA has their heads up their asses? :\

so IS there anyway to disable the rear touch inputs in PSOne titles?

Shit is driving me bonkers due to how I hold my Vita (fingers always wrapped around the back)

Owzers

I finally got to see a vita in person at my local target, it's smaller than i expected, especially the analog sticks. It's sad that Sony and third parties let it die, it looks like decent hardware.

KalBalboa

Banned
I finally got to see a vita in person at my local target, it's smaller than i expected, especially the analog sticks. It's sad that Sony and third parties let it die, it looks like decent hardware.

The hardware is unparalleled, if you ask me. It hasn't even seen a Christmas yet either... give it time. It wont suddenly become a super-hit, but I think it's got more legs than you're giving it credit for.

Cornbread78

The hardware is unparalleled, if you ask me. It hasn't even seen a Christmas yet either... give it time. It wont suddenly become a super-hit, but I think it's got more legs than you're giving it credit for.

If they keep it stocked with retailers and create some good bundles, i will sell well. Sony just has to get game stocks up with retailers such as Wal-Mart and Target because they only carry a limited amount of games and it looks really bad next to 3DS's library...

Glix

So I took my PSP out and about with me today instead of my Vita so I can play Tomba!

IS THIS REALLY HOW YOU WANT IT, SONY?

Glix

Normal seems only to stretch the screen vertically. It definitely changes the ratio from original, you can tell from the UI in FF7. They need a custom screen option ASAP.

And I need someone to let me use their PS3 so I can put RE2 on my bad boy, also ASAP!

You are wrong. There are landmarks you can use on the options screen to see that it is being horizontally stretched as well. What you are seeing in FF is the pixel ratio being different on normal, that is the entire reason original exists, in case you want to match pixel for pixel.

Sid

Thanks!

How will making an EU account impact my PS3? Or will it?
It won't though your trophy earning will be unified

If they keep it stocked with retailers and create some good bundles, i will sell well. Sony just has to get game stocks up with retailers such as Wal-Mart and Target because they only carry a limited amount of games and it looks really bad next to 3DS's library...
The 5 major fall vita games will have bundles
-Cod dc
-Ac:l
-Nfs:Mw
-Ps all stars
-Fifa 13

Owzers

I'm keeping an eye out for good bundles and new game announcements, the bundles also have to include a memory card, with 8GB or more being ideal. Problem is the games they are bundling so far, CoD and Assassin's Creed for the U.S. look like inferior installments instead of "unique" installments like RE Revelations or MGS Peace Walkers. A lot seems to be riding on TGS.

Takao

Banned
I'm keeping an eye out for good bundles and new game announcements, the bundles also have to include a memory card, with 8GB or more being ideal. Problem is the games they are bundling so far, CoD and Assassin's Creed for the U.S. look like inferior installments instead of "unique" installments like RE Revelations or MGS Peace Walkers. A lot seems to be riding on TGS.

AC: Liberation has looked excellent, and seems to be full featured.

Owzers

AC: Liberation has looked excellent, and seems to be full featured.

I keep giving AC sequels a shot because they always look promising yet i don't end up enjoying the gameplay. AC 3 looks great graphically and mayyyyyyybe they'll finally get one right with me, but that hype doesn't translate to the vita version.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Haven't had a chance to check through the thread as I've been away to hospital with my son, but are they still doing a 99p sale on PSone games?

As far as we know, we don't know, lol.

But they said last week in the comments something was coming and this week they mentioned setting up some PS1 deals.
So hopefully, just not right now, maybe they will do the weekend thing again otherwise any sale probably won't be here till next Wednesday.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm back :O

1.80 so good!

Welcome back!

Well ... fuck. I was playing Virtua Tennis 4 when I decided to close the application midway through a training session that was going poorly. Ended up corrupting and erasing ALL the data somehow. Wish I had made a backup at some point. *sigh*

I worry about this every time I close an app...it just seems to close too fast! That really sucks :/ Haven't got round to backing up all my save files either - would be cool if we can back those up separately.

Some more replies on the blog about EU PS1 Sales:

Posted on 30 August, 2012 at 4:11 pm by Fred Dutton
Ahoy, Mr Sony Man here. Yes, Andy is working hard on getting a PS1 sale together for you all. He hopes to have a post on that ready for next week.
@ Corris – Well, ‘silly’ seems a bit strong. Saving cash on vintage games that you might not have gotten around to buying yet sounds like a pretty solid idea to me. Apologies we couldn’t get something together quicker, but it takes time to arrange offers with third parties. Hopefully there’ll be something in there you like.

Posted on 30 August, 2012 at 4:21 pm by Fred Dutton
Ah, I’m not sure whether a sale will actually start next week. It may well – but Andy will confirm the details when he has everything tied down.

I picked up the titles I really wanted to try already, will sit with these for a little while. Having so much fun with some of them!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You can use the combo Vita/PS3 to play online via Ad-hoc Party. Of course, PS3 versions of NGS games has online play, but only the last 6 games (KOF 95, 96, MS2, BS2, Shock Troopers and World Heroes) has good netcode.

There is Gang Wars in the Minis section, is a very old SNK/Alpha beat em up, but it is kinda cool.

You have to buy a PS3 when it drops the price SAB, I want another friend to play old and new SNK games online (now that Fersis has forsaken me).

There was a warning on the Media Go Store that warned that PSP1000s wouldn't be able to take advantage of neogeo station features, so that's what I was concerned about with that first q. My PSP is an oldie:)

World Heroes with good netcode... heh.

Wish Gang Wars was compatable with Vita. Though I'm a bit made the game doesn't seem to let you play the Jackie Chan-a-like 2nd player in any way. Wish it was a full station release!

I'll need some SNK friends on PS3 eventually, so I look forward to it (though I'll have to find a way to mod/adapter my 360 stick, haha.) One more reason to get one sooner than later, thanks :)

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Welcome back!

I worry about this every time I close an app...it just seems to close too fast! That really sucks :/ Haven't got round to backing up all my save files either - would be cool if we can back those up separately.

Some more replies on the blog about EU PS1 Sales:

I picked up the titles I really wanted to try already, will sit with these for a little while. Having so much fun with some of them!

Nice to see them reply to my post on there, both of them, lol, though I don't think the blog guy got what I meant when I was saying it was silly.

Skyzard

Banned
Thanks, feels good to be back on Vitagaf. :)

Wasn't too long! Always welcome in best gaf.

Nice to see them reply to my post on there, both of them, lol, though I don't think the blog guy got what I meant when I was saying it was silly.

I didn't know that was your question! You're right would have been better (for us) to get the sale earlier, but this isn't too bad (better than not) if you can manage with some patience..I would recommend to pick up one or two titles now that you'll get a lot of replay time from to hold you for 1-2 weeks till the sale (especially with all this mention of £0.99! CB is just as fun as it was...(but don't tell NA too much).

RE: ps1 emu image stretch---Also, yeah would love to have a fit to height option without actually stretching the image - it should be possible right? I know "normal" is close and someone mentioned pixel ratio as to why it still stretches..but still seems quite a bit off for some games..

ibopxGSzjhTEja.jpg

So this shit's off the hook.
Too bad it's only the demo and I won't have my copy for another week or two. ):

kodt

Banned
You are wrong. There are landmarks you can use on the options screen to see that it is being horizontally stretched as well. What you are seeing in FF is the pixel ratio being different on normal, that is the entire reason original exists, in case you want to match pixel for pixel.

Yeah it stretches both vertically and horizontally, but for some dumb reason it does not maintain the same aspect ratio... I can't figure out why they didn't have a setting to have it scale to fill the full vertical space while maintaining the correct aspect ratio...

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I didn't know that was your question! You're right would have been better (for us) to get the sale earlier, but this isn't too bad (better than not) if you can manage with some patience..I would recommend to pick up one or two titles now that you'll get a lot of replay time from to hold you for 1-2 weeks till the sale (especially with all this mention of £0.99! CB is just as fun as it was...(but don't tell NA too much).

I guess, I just really want to get Ridge Racer Type 4 but with the possibility for a sale the money I save could go to a whole other game, but I don't mind waiting, I have FF7/8/9 and Medievil from previous sales to play through for now.

My name on here was the same till I made a sarcastic comment about the breasts of the new Lara Croft voice actress, a mod decided this would be an adequate punishment, lol.

What there's a demo? Too bad I don't feel like formatting my whole memorycard and login with my Japanese account. :/

Yeah, it went up earlier. I had no clue as to what I was doing so I'm sure I screwed something up, but I used my backup 4 GB to get it(and other JP region demos).

But it's still good! I didn't like the touch controls/stars when they were first announced but I think the demo sold me on them.

Cornbread78

The Holiday bundles should include the system, a game, a memory card and at least the soft case.

Those are the bundles they need to be selling for the hoiday rush to get people going.

BosSin

Is it me or is the vita browser much better now, I mean the fact that I can simply post this message through it shows they've improved it as I coldnt login before

Shane86

My version of final fantasy 6 has a black bar at the bottom of the image (just above the height of the start select buttons) and there''s a slimmer bar above the image too. Maybe it's because it's the PAL version but I'm not sure. I'll post a picture in a moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom