• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

matmanx1

I'm sure it's been mentioned but Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is just brilliant as a Vita game. The d pad is so much better than the PSP and indeed the overall ergonomics of the Vita trump the PSP that it makes for a really great portable Castlevania experience.

Add in a great pair of headphones and the OLED and Symphony has never looked or sounded as good. Despite 100%'ing the game back in the day I find myself sucked right back in these past few nights. There's just something about it that's so right.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'm sure it's been mentioned but Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is just brilliant as a Vita game. The d pad is so much better than the PSP and indeed the overall ergonomics of the Vita trump the PSP that it makes for a really great portable Castlevania experience.

Add in a great pair of headphones and the OLED and Symphony has never looked or sounded as good. Despite 100%'ing the game back in the day I find myself sucked right back in these past few nights. There's just something about it that's so right.
I have $40 on my account that I've saved for Jet Set Radio and Retro City Rampage, and I've been considering spending the last ten dollars on Tomba! or Symphony of the Night or just waiting to see if a new downloadable game comes out in that time. I hate making decisions and your post is making me lean towards rebuying Symphony of the Night. It's such a fantastic game.

Edit: I just caved and bought it. I can't wait to replay the game.

I have $40 on my account that I've saved for Jet Set Radio and Retro City Rampage, and I've been considering spending the last ten dollars on Tomba! or Symphony of the Night or just waiting to see if a new downloadable game comes out in that time. I hate making decisions and your post is making me lean towards rebuying Symphony of the Night. It's such a fantastic game.

I caved the other night and bought Dracula X Chronicles (I have SotN on PSone Classics as well, due to PS+). I have them both on my Vita at the moment.

I started playing the Dracula X Chronicles version after unlocking it the other night and I was pleasantly surprised, though it's a shame it forces 4:3 and won't let you change any of the options other than the frame borders... but it still looks good.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I caved the other night and bought Dracula X Chronicles (I have SotN on PSone Classics as well, due to PS+). I have them both on my Vita at the moment.

I started playing the Dracula X Chronicles version after unlocking it the other night and I was pleasantly surprised, though it's a shame it forces 4:3 and won't let you change any of the options other than the frame borders... but it still looks good.
I played Symphony of the Night for the first time through Dracula X Chronicles, and I considered rebuying Dracula X, but I didn't care for the actual Dracula X game, and the aforementioned limited emulation options are a turnoff. This is the first time I'll be able to experience the original voice acting though, so I'm excited. I know there's no chance, but I really wish the Vita would get a 2D Castlevania. I keep hoping that someday Symphony of the Night will just get an "HD version" with proper widescreen support.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon

You are making me want to play it right now, sadly, i own it on my US account, along with other PS1 games so i can't play for now. Oh well, going to continue my Corpse Party playthrough, about to start chapter 3. Really great game so far.

Then it will be either Trails in the sky that i got from the EU sale, or maybe finally even play a Vita game on my Vita! Got Gravity Rush, and have Project Diva F coming.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

God damn, I wish it was on the EU store. I ask almost every week on the PlayStation Store if there are any updates, they along with the guys on the Konami UK twitter don't have a clue why.

Carl

And Wake Up Club.

Don't kid yourself into thinking that's coming any time soon!

Personally i'm looking forward to the ecosystem game more, anyway :)

Finally NA Vita owners can experience the thrill of getting nothing like PS3 people do!

Luckily i live in Europe! ;)

Would you count cloud saving on vita under that?

If Vita was getting cloud saving soon i think it would have come in the firmware update this week. It might be coming at some point though.

branny

I'm actually fine with nothing coming out to Vita right now because soon it's going to be heaven for me with Tekken Tag 2, DoA5, Resident Evil 6, and then Code of Princess all lined up nicely right before Ragnarok Odyssey.

100%? Don't you mean...200.6%? :p

It's nice playing it on Vita because a lot of the stupid spell combos are easier to do than on PSP. That and it looks fuck awesome.

I played Symphony of the Night for the first time through Dracula X Chronicles, and I considered rebuying Dracula X, but I didn't care for the actual Dracula X game, and the aforementioned limited emulation options are a turnoff. This is the first time I'll be able to experience the original voice acting though, so I'm excited. I know there's no chance, but I really wish the Vita would get a 2D Castlevania. I keep hoping that someday Symphony of the Night will just get an "HD version" with proper widescreen support.
Yeah, that's why it's hard to tell people which version to get. The PSone Classics version supports a lot more user customization due to the emulator, while the Dracula X version is really different. There are new voice actors, a revamped script, a new familiar or two, and you can play as Maria, but it isn't the original that people know and love.

I don't like Rondo anywhere near as much as SotN, but it's still one of my favorite pre-SotN CVs. Plowing through it with Maria is so fun. Then again, I bought Castlevania Chronicles just to listen to the music so I'm in no position to suggest anything to anyone.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm sure it'll be good, but I've been LBP'ed out. After 1 and 2 (and quickly trying and deleting the PSP game), I'm set and don't really need LBP, which leaves me looking at (maybe) Ragnarok Odyssey, SFxT, and P4G as my next potential retail Vita purchases. I think Lumines or UMvC3 would be good to own digitally, the question is "will the be a sale on a digital Lumines or UMvC3 in the near future?" I guess. I mean, I have all my console games for the year paid off (TTT2 and RE6), so that just leaves impulse Vita buys and deals left... I'm thinking I want to use this card now for some reason; it's burning a hole in my pocket apparently.

So yeah, I already own UMvC3 on a cart, so Lumines is the front runner at the moment. :|

Yeah I can totally see that. I'll probably be getting P4G too, but I'm not sure if I'm sold on Ragnarok yet or not.

As far as Lumines goes, it's really a good game. I personally think it's a bit skimpy for $40 though, even if you have a gift card, I just feel like it's a lot to spend on a puzzle game.

Finally NA Vita owners can experience the thrill of getting nothing like PS3 people do!

I know, right?
At least over the years it's given me some cool stuff prior to it just making questionable decision after questionable decision. Lately, I'd consider dumping my subscription if I wasn't paid up for awhile... it's just been garbage.

At least cloud saving storage space increase will help, though it's too late, I already had to delete a lot of large save files and ended up with corruption and stuff before my PS3 had to go in for service.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Don't kid yourself into thinking that's coming any time soon!

Personally i'm looking forward to the ecosystem game more, anyway :)

:(

What ecosystem game are you referring to?

Yeah, that's why it's hard to tell people which version to get. The PSone Classics version supports a lot more user customization due to the emulator, while the Dracula X version is really different. There are new voice actors, a revamped script, a new familiar or two, and you can play as Maria, but it isn't the original that people know and love.

I don't like Rondo anywhere near as much as SotN, but it's still one of my favorite pre-SotN CVs. Plowing through it with Maria is so fun. Then again, I bought Castlevania Chronicles just to listen to the music so I'm in no position to suggest anything to anyone.
Revamped script made me gag a bit; I didn't know that the Dracula X version also had script changes, nor did I know you could play as Maria in Symphony of the Night.

I never unlocked the original Rondo of Blood, but I just found the remake slightly bland, and I wish there were difficulty options (unless there were, in which case I wish there was an easier difficulty) for people like me who don't have the reflexes or concentration to play the game. It was still decently enjoyable until I reached the werewolf, or whatever boss I got stuck on. That reminds me that I need to get back into Chronicles sometime soon. I didn't care for what I played of the game, but I never got too far into it.

Carl

This one

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/05/30/travel-ecology-music-all-coming-soon-to-playstation-vita/

Take on a divine role in Ecolibrium, an imaginative eco-system simulator where the aim is to maintain harmony within your own created environment. If your environment becomes unbalanced, species in your eco-system must be fed manually by you until you have restored balance and created the optimum environment for your animals and plants. You can also collect different species and trade them with your PS Vita friends using “near”.

Revamped script made me gag a bit; I didn't know that the Dracula X version also had script changes, nor did I know you could play as Maria in Symphony of the Night.

I never unlocked the original Rondo of Blood, but I just found the remake slightly bland, and I wish there were difficulty options (unless there were, in which case I wish there was an easier difficulty) for people like me who don't have the reflexes or concentration to play the game. It was still decently enjoyable until I reached the werewolf, or whatever boss I got stuck on. That reminds me that I need to get back into Chronicles sometime soon. I didn't care for what I played of the game, but I never got too far into it.

Is Chronicles just a remade NES Castlevania? It seemed like it when I played for 3 minutes the other day... How did I not know about that? I loved Castlevania; but I could never beat the Grim Reaper. :|

And yeah, script changes and all...

PSX Classic:
Dracula: What is a man? (throws glass) A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk. Have at you!

Dracula X:
Dracula: Ha! Mankind. (throws glass) A cesspit of hatred and lies. Fight for them, then, and die for their sins!

Carl

I remember seeing that in the Gamescom trailer, but reading the details about the game makes me excited. Not too excited of course, because North America still doesn't have Frobisher Says!, so I'm keeping my expectations in check.

Was playing Frobisher Says with my girlfriend, Sister, and her boyfriend the other night. Great fun. Many laughs were had.

Andrefpvs

Just wondering. What games could they possibly offer for Vita on PS+ this early in the system's life cycle? Launch games? PS3 games offered on Plus that support Cross Buy?

branny

Is Chronicles just a remade NES Castlevania? It seemed like it when I played for 3 minutes the other day... How did I not know about that? I loved Castlevania; but I could never beat the Grim Reaper. :|
Chronicles is actually a remake of Castlevania X68000 which was heavily inspired from the first Castlevania. It shares some similar stage layouts but also has totally different stuff. It's notable for its music, and the Chronicles remake bears one of the most interesting CV soundtracks I've ever heard. Sota Fujimori is the person behind remixing the funkier-sounding X68000 tracks, and the result is kind of like what happened to R4 Ridge Racer Type 4. The PS1 version includes the Sharp X68000 version along with the rebalanced Chronicles remake, and you can even change the sound modules for the original.

To be honest, I hate playing it, but I really like the overblown remixes.

Edit: FAIL! I thought he was talking about Dracula X Chronicles on PSP. Castlevania Chronicles soundtrack(s) are so good. It was cool playing with the new Simon sprite.

Carl

Just wondering. What games could they possibly offer for Vita on PS+ this early in the system's life cycle? Launch games? PS3 games offered on Plus that support Cross Buy?

I'm thinking it will be PSP games with a couple of Vita games. Maybe Mutant Blobs, Everybody's Golf and ModNation Racers, or something.

PSP games at first, followed by crappy Vita games(Little Deviants, Modnation, etc.) with a diamond in the rough(Hot Shots or something).

IMACOMPUTA

Phantasy Star Portable 2

i fucking wish i could play that on vita :(
Isnt the physical version worth money? I have it laying around.

Also, to anybody saying the vita has no games :
My wallet disagrees.

Looks like I'm gonna have to be buying LBP, P4G, and Ragnorok Oddesey. :(

I've been playing Darkstalkers 3 PS1, so I figured I would share some shots. :p

iLU1fqFuIUzxj.png

lilith getting some of her "sister's" traits i see

iPT60BEAudEVD.png

Come on, baby~

iOOWvMw6JzfB8.png

Dear lord what did I do to Demitri?

It looks pretty good on the screen, but I'm sure the PSP version would look best.

It's so bizarre seeing you without a moe girl avatar.

But Sir Dan's kawaii, ne?

Skyzard

Banned
The ecosystem sounds like some sort of tamogochi sims? The screenshots through me off for a bit too, no pics of the main game from what I can tell, I might be wrong about it though.

Carl

The ecosystem sounds like some sort of tamogochi sims? The screenshots through me off for a bit too, no pics of the main game from what I can tell, I might be wrong about it though.

Ehh sort of. Tamogochi with lots of animals where you have to balance the ecosystem so everything has food and stuff.

They said it was "coming soon" in May. Stupid Sony.

It already did. Oddworld on PS1 has a Plus logo next to it when viewed on the Store through the Vita.

That's clearly not what they meant. It was SCEE that announced PS+ for Vita, and SCEE has had PS+ discounts on games on the Vita store since the second week on sale.

Skyzard

Banned
A few ps1 titles have the plus discount in UK. edit: but not the odd world titles.

EU ps1 sale is coming though, didn't get the impression that it would be ps+ only either.

Carl

Even so, as i said that clearly isn't what they meant. We've had PS+ discounts on Vita since a week or two after release.

Skyzard

Banned
I didn't know they were drumming up upcoming ps+ support for vita in the eu too, thought it was just US?...as yeah, I've seen the odd ps+ discount on vita titles like sound shapes etc.

btw vita is looking so good now*. few months..the digital library of this thing will be so awesome.

I've decided to go 64/32 when they release the folder update or increase 10 screen limit (hopefully both). Perhaps get lucky with a nice amazon deal...some of you guys in states got steals on the 32 I read.

*I think it has a bit to do with how awesome the icons can look with a nice background.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Even so, as i said that clearly isn't what they meant. We've had PS+ discounts on Vita since a week or two after release.

Indeed, I thought it was pretty obvious Sony meant PlayStation Plus functionality and not just a sale on something now and then.

Skyzard

Banned
If they made backing up save files separate to the game files itself just to make it easier to get ps+ subs from the vita for cloud saves..I'll be annoyed. ... let me see this workaround that's been mentioned

edit: ah I see you just copy the file, take out the save from the temp folder in the vita backup folder (save files get copied first)...not bad..but still bit ridiculous, especially when we are hearing about people corrupting save files from simply exiting games...and the slow backup rates.

Was Oddworld ever a PS+ title? Maybe it's possible that it was given out earlier as PS+ and the person who posted it had that so it added the icon?

Carl

I didn't know they were drumming up upcoming ps+ support for vita in the eu too, thought it was just US?

It was announced by SCEE at GamesCom. They announced it then US said they're doing it too.

Indeed, I thought it was pretty obvious Sony meant PlayStation Plus functionality and not just a sale on something now and then.

Yeah, exactly.

Was Oddworld ever a PS+ title? Maybe it's possible that it was given out earlier as PS+ and the person who posted it had that so it added the icon?

Quick google shows yes it has been free on PS+ before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom