• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well count me into the Vita stable, finally picked one up after reading this thread. It gets here Tuesday!! Quick question though..screen protector yes or no?? I picked up Uncharted and Mk on the cheap so I am ready to go. Now to find a cheap memory card.

Your world is in play now huh? You should get a screen protector for cheap. I don't use one, its hard to scratch the screen lol.

So, I take it nobody else here was using their free PSPGo promotional games on their Vita? I'm still quite bummed that they don't work anymore, except GTA VC.
I'm not sure if it would work properly if I bought them.

EDIT: I already have all of them on UMD as well.

gabbre

Qlj8Jl.jpg

Now I know why I'm having an issue with r2/l2.....I hope we get to adjust the zone at some point.
So they can remap L2 and R2 to the rear touchscreen and not to the second analogue? That's crazy. With Soul Reaver I mapped L2 with dpad down and R2 with dpad right, pressing them together center the camera. It's the most convenient solution ATM.

Vitacat

So, I take it nobody else here was using their free PSPGo promotional games on their Vita? I'm still quite bummed that they don't work anymore, except GTA VC.

That sucks. Why don't thy work? Are they not the same as the PSP games on psn?

Do the PSP games you bought digitally for the go work ok on vita?

JoshHood

My reward copies of Wipeout, SOCOM and whatever else it was I got have never worked on anything but my Go, including my Vita :(

Sounds like yours worked at least for a bit, mine never did for whatever reason :/

Vitacat

If you previously bought PSP games on PSN before Vita existed, you can download them and play them on Vita, righ?

Just wanna be sure.

If you previously bought PSP games on PSN before Vita existed, you can download them and play them on Vita, righ?

Just wanna be sure.

Any ones you bought digitally on that account that are available to buy from the vita will be available yes.

Got puzzlequest last light. Played like 2 hours straight. Awesome game.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I can't imagine any scenario where I would want to play a game where the back touch works as buttons. At that point you should reevaluate the control scheme 100% and maybe reevaluate if the game should even be made/ported.

They should just let us map and change the size and position in both back and front touch, i would not mind some icons at the sides of the screen, the games are 4:3, there´s room for Ls and Rs there...and please, in the next update let us map things in the right stick ffs.

I don't know why....but here's what I'm looking for.

1v9VDl.jpg

No way. Snake Eater uses the whole pad for some actions and it's annoying the hell out of me. My middle fingers always rest on the outer edges of the touch pad and Snake would not stop stabbing the air when I have the Knife equipped for example.
But honestly, the the touch pad sucks anyway. I wish games wouldn't use it to compensate for the lack of buttons. It's awkward to use.

That sucks. Why don't thy work? Are they not the same as the PSP games on psn?

Do the PSP games you bought digitally for the go work ok on vita?

They crash or give me an error message now, they worked fine before FW 1.8. The ones I bought work fine.

My reward copies of Wipeout, SOCOM and whatever else it was I got have never worked on anything but my Go, including my Vita :(

Sounds like yours worked at least for a bit, mine never did for whatever reason :/

That is odd. All of them worked for me before, downloaded directly on the Vita, except for Fifa and Avatar.

magawolaz

I want to know why it isn't obvious to place them there and R3/L3 on the front, seeing as that would be their general placement.
Problem with touch-screen on the front is that it's used for the emulation menu.

Sony should trow away the front touch emulation menu - and map R3/L3 there instead.

As for the emu menu, just put it in the LiveArea screen:
(quick photoshop)
bvS45.jpg

swipe up​

7j7cS.jpg

So we don't have to change settings for each game every time.
And do the same with PSone classics.

kthxbye

joshwaan

Hey Guys

Been a while since been on forum's finally the Vita get's Ps1 support about fucking time lol ;P.

Anyways my question is cause I don't have a Vita atm does the Pal games run in 50HZ or do they go at 60HZ on the Vita?

The games are hardcoded for 50HZ I thought.

Cheers

Josh

LuchaShaq

Banned
I really wish there was a way to "turn off" the back touch at a system level so games knew you didn't want to use that feature. (Like how the xbox 360 has a few system level things like always start games not inverted or inverted etc., wish they had MORE like subtitles on/off etc.

There is no comfortable way for me to hold this thing for more than 30 seconds 2 handed without touching the back screen. The grooves on the back for your fingers are basically the last place I would ever rest my hands. I have to make a contorted claw to hold it there.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Problem with touch-screen on the front is that it's used for the emulation menu.

Sony should trow away the front touch emulation menu - and map R3/L3 there instead.

As for the emu menu, just put it in the LiveArea screen:
(quick photoshop)
bvS45.jpg

swipe up​

7j7cS.jpg

So we don't have to change settings for each game every time.
And do the same with PSone classics.

kthxbye

While a nice example, they allow you to use the front touch menu for PSP games now, so it shouldn't be a problem for PS1 games either.

I really wish there was a way to "turn off" the back touch at a system level so games knew you didn't want to use that feature. (Like how the xbox 360 has a few system level things like always start games not inverted or inverted etc., wish they had MORE like subtitles on/off etc.

There is no comfortable way for me to hold this thing for more than 30 seconds 2 handed without touching the back screen. The grooves on the back for your fingers are basically the last place I would ever rest my hands. I have to make a contorted claw to hold it there.

Get the Nerf armor. It makes your hands naturally fall into the grooves and has removable a plate that covers the back screen. All while not really changing the Vita's appearance too much

Yeah that sound like a great idea.

Mondriaan

My personal issue with the back touch is that it's like having mouse over events activate stuff while at the same time having an invisible mouse cursor.

It would probably be better to do something like map L2 and R2 to back touch gestures instead of making it a pure location thing.

Vitacat

Question: when you buy games on PSN, can you transfer them back and forth between Vita and PC if you don't have an internet connection?

EDIT: what I'm really wondering is if we can backup and restore files when offline? Thanks.

Brera

Banned
Do we know if Ridge Racers 2 will be put up on the UK store anytime soon?

I already own Ridge Racers on the PSP (my first game!)...are they keeping it off the market as it makes the 1st redundant!?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Do we know if Ridge Racers 2 will be put up on the UK store anytime soon?

I already own Ridge Racers on the PSP (my first game!)...are they keeping it off the market as it makes the 1st redundant!?

It isn't about keeping it off the store, lol, there could be multiple different reasons why a title isn't up, from licensing to it just not being submitted, though I would go with that they know RRT4 was the best one and don't see the point of any of the other ones, lol.

Kerub

Banned
Can I play crash team racing with the stick? Or does it only work with the D-pad?

EDIT - Sweet, thanks badchoiceboobies

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So you call the Vita "PSP2" and Resident Evil "Bio"... man, you love to be different. :p

I call "Eggman," Dr. Robotnik. So, yeah... I go with what sounds good/proper to me. :p

And yeah, seeing that picture of the pressure points now I know what's up. Man, Sony really screwed up there and I hope they allow you to customize it and allow custom right-stick for the buttons as well. I mean if they allowed the thumbstick on the PSP to be L/R2 why not the PSP2!?

LuchaShaq said:

You and me both, dude. Turn off back touchpad, turn off gyro, leave touch-pad for maybe a few functions but not requiring it for zooming (sup, Uncharted?) in sniper rifles and the like: Final Destination.

Back touch-pad hinders more than it helps. I dunno who at Sony thought it was a good idea but it isn't. :/

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
You and me both, dude. Turn off back touchpad, turn off gyro, leave touch-pad for maybe a few functions but not requiring it for zooming (sup, Uncharted?) in sniper rifles and the like: Final Destination.

Back touch-pad hinders more than it helps. I dunno who at Sony thought it was a good idea but it isn't. :/

See, I don't have a problem with the sixaxis, just how developers use it. If every Vita game and even PS3 games now used the sixaxis to help aiming slightly like in Uncharted, I would be perfectly fine, if anything I would suggest it for more games.

TheSeks

See, I don't have a problem with the sixaxis, just how developers use it. If every Vita game and even PS3 games now used the sixaxis to help aiming slightly like in Uncharted, I would be perfectly fine, if anything I would suggest it for more games.

The six-axis "gimmick" I don't have a problem with. I have a problem when it hinders more than it helps. Which is the case with most games that use it.

billsmugs

If that R2/L2 PS1 image is correct, that explains why I had trouble when I tried MGS1. It's really bizarre though, because when I played it over remote play the entire back touchpad was segmented into four regions for R2, L2, R3 and L3. Why didn't they just carry that over for PS1 games? (Minus the L3/R3 if PS1 didn't have clickable sticks, I can't remember).

Grinchy

Banned
I don't doubt that the back touchpad is weird as hell for PS1 games (haven't tried any yet) but I do actually like the back touchpad in general.

If that R2/L2 PS1 image is correct, that explains why I had trouble when I tried MGS1. It's really bizarre though, because when I played it over remote play the entire back touchpad was segmented into four regions for R2, L2, R3 and L3. Why didn't they just carry that over for PS1 games? (Minus the L3/R3 if PS1 didn't have clickable sticks, I can't remember).

PS1 had R3/L3 but I think Ape Escape was the only game that ever actually used them.

I imagine Sony will in a few months release a firmware update that lets us assign areas of the touch pad for PS1 games similar to what they just added to PSP games. Analog stick assignment would be great as well, especially for those early PS1 games that didn't support them at all.

Ever since I updated to 1.80 whenever I try to look at photos on the livetweet app it pops up an error (A0000903) anybody else?
This is annoying =

PS1 had R3/L3 but I think Ape Escape was the only game that ever actually used them.

I imagine Sony will in a few months release a firmware update that lets us assign areas of the touch pad for PS1 games similar to what they just added to PSP games. Analog stick assignment would be great as well, especially for those early PS1 games that didn't support them at all.

I would very much like this, as I just want the left analog stick to function as the d-pad for FF7. :\

demigod

While a nice example, they allow you to use the front touch menu for PSP games now, so it shouldn't be a problem for PS1 games either.

Yep, just used it on MHFU. I hate clicking the start button on the Vita since its in an awkward position so I mapped it to the bottom right of the front touch. I kept pressing the damn touch and it wouldn't work. You literally HAVE to touch the damn edge of the screen.

Kazzy

I don't know if its the lapse in time, skill, controls, or a little of everything, but I'm struggling with UmJammer Lammy. I probably shouldn't admit this, but I failed the first stage a couple of times before simply quitting.

Ridge Racer Type 4 is still extremely playable, and I don't even think it looks too bad visually. I think that a strong art style is really cemented whenever you start revisiting these older games, particularly in 3D, where the discrepancy between each game can be huge.

TheSeks

Why in the world is Peace Walker PSP $29.99 but Peace Walker HD $19.99?

Because Konami.

I don't know if its the lapse in time, skill, controls, or a little of everything, but I'm struggling with UmJammer Lammy. I probably shouldn't admit this, but I failed the first stage a couple of times before simply quitting.

Er-You play it as a rhythm game? :/ In fact I'm gonna let you in a secret: You're parroting back the songs in Um Jammer Lammy just in a guitar format.

"Do you think you could play and calm it down?"
"X---X----X-X-X----X--X.." etc. is basically parroting back that line. Kinda disappointing (I don't recall Parappa doing this) when you learn that but then you start to learn that you can kinda free-style with it so long as you're still doing the proper rhythm of the lines.

But I already own MGS HD collection, whatever happened with the cross platform purchase?

Question: If I buy Peace Walker for PSP to play on my Vita, how does the multiplayer work?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
But I already own MGS HD collection, whatever happened with the cross platform purchase?
Metal Gear Solid HD allows you to carry over the saves of both editions, which you have to buy separately (although I don't believe Peace Walker on PSP has transfarring). It's not a cross-buy title.

TheSeks

Question: If I buy Peace Walker for PSP to play on my Vita, how does the multiplayer work?

It's not for earlier releases? Hell even Sony themselves aren't doing it for ALL games. It seems to be a case-by-case basis. :/

There's no online for the PSP/original version of Peace Walker. You need to play HD for infrastructure (true online) or use Ad Hoc Party (PS3 app)/XLink Kai (homebrew app) to have "true" online. Otherwise: Ad-hoc/local multiplayer only with recruiting being more than once a day on the PSP version.

Edit: Awww... you're not online, Space. I was gonna send you naughty messages and recommendations. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom