• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitacat

I also don't really care about the bubbles.

But then my vision is kinda poor, so maybe I'm just not seeing the fine details.

EDIT:

I wish we'd get some details about PS+ for Vita. Depending on how they handle it, it could be pretty cool.

Hanmik

I heard you can buy the game, beat it and platinum it all on the same day.

It is my fastest platinum yet (if you do not count trine 2, which was faster if you used GraverobberX´s fast guide)...

I had fun during my playthrough of Resistance on the Vita.. it might not be a looker, but it is fun and varied and had me entertained all the way untill the end (and my platinum trophy).. just don´t try to play the game lying down in a bed onboard a cruise ship, you WILL get seasick..

Carl

I had fun during my playthrough of Resistance on the Vita.. it might not be a looker, but it is fun and varied and had me entertained all the way untill the end (and my platinum trophy).. just don´t try to play the game lying down in a bed onboard a cruise ship, you WILL get seasick..

Yeah. Like i said before, it's a GOOD game, game wise. But technically it's fucking horrible. Cutscenes look like shit, it sounds like shit, sound effects don't work half of the time. But in terms of being fun, it's good.

As for being an easy platinum, you basically just have to complete it.

Yeah. Like i said before, it's a GOOD game, game wise. But technically it's fucking horrible. Cutscenes look like shit, it sounds like shit, sound effects don't work half of the time. But in terms of being fun, it's good.

Yeah, the sound is just awful, some weapons sound like microwave popcorn

Vitacat

Holy shit, looks like SCEE will actually be doing some adverts for Vita this month. LBP Vita and FIFA, at least.

Bit of a behind the scenes preview on this week's Playstation Access if you're interested http://youtu.be/hElpsnrTu0M?t=8m56s

Wow, it's like SCEE a shit about Vita. SCEA sure doesn't. And if they do, I'd like to see proof.

I really want Vita to last. This hardware is too damn great to never get fully used. If they can do games like Uncharted GA and Wipeout 2048 at launch, just imagine what might be possible by good devs after a couple of years. Hope we get to see that.

Skyzard

Banned
Finally took a look at the Earth Defence Force videos that were posted earlier.

The game actually looks like quite a lot of fun - I haven't played the original or any from the series - I think the art style and colours put me off a bit but gameplay looks pretty great to me.

Also just saw the new persona 4 screenshots thread...really nice. First persona game for me too - will import it if it doesn't get announced for EU at least by early next year.

To the person asking about the full upgrade for ZP2 - I think it was just confusing/misleading in-game text - I think it wants you to buy their newest pack for the "online"....not sure about the trophies though, perhaps for that too :( Bit confused about it too really, will probably grab those new marvel table pack down the line once I've played through the new ones I picked up.

Treasure Park is growing on me too surprisingly!

I will get Resistance no doubt, but I need to find the game below €20. Its €50 at retail here and if I can beat the game in 5 hours that means I have paid €10/hour for the game. -_-

Averon

Wow, it's like SCEE a shit about Vita. SCEA sure doesn't. And if they do, I'd like to see proof.

It's one of the downsides of SCEI giving their divisions so much freedom. Pretty hard for the Vita to succeed when a third of your global branches doesn't give two crap about it, on top of the other problems the platform faces.

Vitacat

Finally took a look at the Earth Defence Force videos that were posted earlier.

The game actually looks like quite a lot of fun - I haven't played the original or any from the series - I think the art style and colours put me off a bit but gameplay looks pretty great to me.

I have the first EDF for XB360. It's really quite fun. It's basically an arcade game. Graphically nothing special (it often looks like crap), but it's the gameplay that shines as you're overwhelmed by massive numbers of alien bugs.

It's basically a cult B movie of gaming. Fun, satisfying junk that's good at what it does. :p

Cornbread78

I really want Vita to last. This hardware is too damn great to never get fully used. If they can do games like Uncharted GA and Wipeout 2048 at launch, just imagine what might be possible by good devs after a couple of years. Hope we get to see that.

I'm pretty sure at thsi point, SCEA has pretty much given up on this market, since they just keep $hitting on us more and more each day.... PS+, VITA, etc..... at least SCEE loves their peeps....

Vitacat

I'll tell you another really depressing thing about Vita...

NAMCO

Remember when Namco was awesome? Remember brilliant PSP games like Ridge Racer and Tekken DR? What are the chances we'll even see a Tekken for Vita? And just look at the mess they made of Vita RR. *cries*

I'll tell you another really depressing thing about Vita...

NAMCO

Remember when Namco was awesome? Remember brilliant PSP games like Ridge Racer and Tekken DR? What are the chances we'll even see a Tekken for Vita? And just look at the mess they made of Vita RR. *cries*

RR will never be the same.

IMO, Resistance Retribution is a much better game - it even looks better to me, despite being a PSP game. Certainly the sound design is superior, and the story and characters were more interesting... Granted, Retribution doesn't have trophies (if you care about that, which I don't), but it's a superior experience to Burning Skies...

Vitacat

notice to Canadians:

you can pre-order LBP Vita, Persona 4 Golden, or any other $39.99 Vita game for $24.99 right now. Check the Canadian Deals thread for details.

Damn nice discounts. Anyone know if we have some similar deals in USA?

I wish PSN would do pre-order discounts for DD versions. But that would require thinking and caring, and they don't like that sort of thing at Sony.

EDIT: Looking at Amazon... So SFxTekken Vita is gonna be $40, but the console versions are less than $20? WTF?! Capcom, seriously?

Ok, can someone help me interpret this pre-order bonus:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007UM59AM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Alternate Costumes Pre-order Bonus
Pre-order Street Fighter X Tekken for PS Vita and receive the alternate costumes for all 12 new characters. In addition to the robust roster of 43 characters from the PS3 version, the PS Vita version features 12 new playable characters Blanka, Cody, Dudley, Elena, Guy and Sakura from the Street Fighter side and Alisa Bosconovitch, Bryan Fury, Christie Monteiro, Jack, Lars Alexandersson and Lei Wulong from the Tekken side. For players who choose to own the PS Vita version and already have the PlayStation 3 version of the game, they will receive these additional 12 characters and 38 alternate costumes for the original roster of characters as free DLC. We will send you the code to access this bonus content via email within two days of your order shipment. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. This offer will be extended to all existing pre-orders. Limit one per customer. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time.

So you only get the bonus 12 characters and costumes if you already own the PS3 version? How will they even know if you do? Gotta say, as a 360-only owner, I'm feeling trolled by all the PS3 bonus stuff for Vita games. Really wish I had a PS3 instead. I don't even play my 360 anymore. :-/

Ohnonono

Ended up picking up a Vita on the day the PS1 support patch happened (which was a nice surprise!) I have MK, MVC3, Gravity Rush, MGSHD, Rayman Origins, and Unit 13. Also put FF7-9 , Vagrant Story, and Tactics Ogre on it. The biggest surprise so far is that every game I have purchased is pretty great. MK and MVC3 are pretty amazing ports (though MVC3 does look better), The gameplay in both is amazing though, and the D-pad is so amazing. Gravity Rush is a really awesome open world quirky experience, MGS is MGS looking better with no compromise. Rayman Origins is my favorite platformer I have played in a long time. Most surprising though is that Unit 13 is a really fun score/time attack 3rd person shooter. It is not perfect for sure, but makes me really look forward to 3rd person shooters on this thing. Only thing left to get is BlazBlue and maybe Uncharted, then its waiting a bit for AC, and Persona 4. Very happy with my purchase. I have wife and kid and don't get to game much on the PS3, so it has been really great to be playing more games (and I like playing portables more anyway.)

Ended up picking up a Vita on the day the PS1 support patch happened (which was a nice surprise!) I have MK, MVC3, Gravity Rush, MGSHD, Rayman Origins, and Unit 13. Also put FF7-9 , Vagrant Story, and Tactics Ogre on it. The biggest surprise so far is that every game I have purchased is pretty great. MK and MVC3 are pretty amazing ports (though MVC3 does look better), The gameplay in both is amazing though, and the D-pad is so amazing. Gravity Rush is a really awesome open world quirky experience, MGS is MGS looking better with no compromise. Rayman Origins is my favorite platformer I have played in a long time. Most surprising though is that Unit 13 is a really fun score/time attack 3rd person shooter. It is not perfect for sure, but makes me really look forward to 3rd person shooters on this thing. Only thing left to get is BlazBlue and maybe Uncharted, then its waiting a bit for AC, and Persona 4. Very happy with my purchase. I have wife and kid and don't get to game much on the PS3, so it has been really great to be playing more games (and I like playing portables more anyway.)

Congrats with your purchase, glad you enjoy it. Don't forget to import Hatsune Miku.

Carl

IMO, Resistance Retribution is a much better game - it even looks better to me, despite being a PSP game. Certainly the sound design is superior, and the story and characters were more interesting... Granted, Retribution doesn't have trophies (if you care about that, which I don't), but it's a superior experience to Burning Skies...

Oh yeah i totally agree. Was just saying that it's not a terrible game. Just terrible technically.

I'm not seeing anywhere in here that you bought Mutant Blobs Attack...

fernoca

EDIT: Looking at Amazon... So SFxTekken Vita is gonna be $40, but the console versions are less than $20? WTF?! Capcom, seriously?
Well, Vita version is a "newer game" .. :p... and it also includes the DLC, which you have to pay an extra $20 on the console versions; also making it $40*.

*MSRP of the console version is still $40, it just goes on sale more frequently.

So you only get the bonus 12 characters and costumes if you already own the PS3 version? How will they even know if you do?
You get 12 costumes for the 12 extra characters. Like with UMvC3, getting the DLC on Vita also unlocks it on the PS3 version.

I heard you can buy the game, beat it and platinum it all on the same day.

haha yeah. Its honestly hard to not platinum the game.

Its no where near as bad as some people make out. its just increadibly average. It controls really well. Even the touch screen stuff works well I think. Its just very easy. I played it on hard as I heard this and it was easy even then. Until the final boss which is really hard. bit of a dumb decision there. Graphics are OK. not good, not bad. Just totally middle of the road.

All in all im happy I bought it. I just wish the online had a more stable frame rate and the shot gun wasnt so totally over powered that people only use that or the sniper.

The 4v4 works fine as the maps are small.

The campaign is decent enough if rather generic. I honestly preferred it to the totally ham fest / stereo type central crap that was retribution. I had to force my self to finish that game. I honestly don't see how certain reviewers can give retribution such praise for things like its story when that was really rather terrible in that game. stereo types and cheese fest aside the story was still riddled with BS and plot holes. At least resistance BS tries to be a little serious.

Anyway. Resistance BS - a distinctly average game that is fun but wont exactly blow your mind. Mutliplayer is fun till the lag / framerate drops do your head in after a few games.

On my lunch break I thought Id do a little more sound shapes death mode levels as I havnt done much since a couple of weeks ago.

God damn the randomness makes this mode soooo brutal.

I did one of the lvls in album 2. Realised it had taken me 40 mins lol. Then flew through the next few and then got stuck on one on album 3. One attempt I was 1 away. Sooooo anoying. Still good fun and rewarding when you do it. However I kinda wish it wasn't random but actually placed. Random means that it is actually impossible to complete a level sometimes.

zroid

Banned
Damn nice discounts.

Hahaha, it was just discovered we can also get $10 off any $19.99 game, including WipEout, HSG, etc.

I'm probably going to pass though, $9.99 is good for those games but I have too many things to play and they are pretty low on the priority list. Just happy to get $25 P4G! ^_^

Vitacat

Hahaha, it was just discovered we can also get $10 off any $19.99 game, including WipEout, HSG, etc.

I'm probably going to pass though, $9.99 is good for those games but I have too many things to play and those are pretty low on the priority list. Just happy to get $25 P4G! ^_^

HOLY?!?! O_O

I am very, very jealous of Canada right now. FUCK.

BTW, Wipeout and HSG are both great games, you really should get them for that price even if you don't play them right away.

haha yeah. Its honestly hard to not platinum the game.

Its no where near as bad as some people make out. its just increadibly average. It controls really well. Even the touch screen stuff works well I think. Its just very easy. I played it on hard as I heard this and it was easy even then. Until the final boss which is really hard. bit of a dumb decision there. Graphics are OK. not good, not bad. Just totally middle of the road.

All in all im happy I bought it. I just wish the online had a more stable frame rate and the shot gun wasnt so totally over powered that people only use that or the sniper.

The 4v4 works fine as the maps are small.

The campaign is decent enough if rather generic. I honestly preferred it to the totally ham fest / stereo type central crap that was retribution. I had to force my self to finish that game. I honestly don't see how certain reviewers can give retribution such praise for things like its story when that was really rather terrible in that game. stereo types and cheese fest aside the story was still riddled with BS and plot holes. At least resistance BS tries to be a little serious.

Anyway. Resistance BS - a distinctly average game that is fun but wont exactly blow your mind. Mutliplayer is fun till the lag / framerate drops do your head in after a few games.

On my lunch break I thought Id do a little more sound shapes death mode levels as I havnt done much since a couple of weeks ago.

God damn the randomness makes this mode soooo brutal.

I did one of the lvls in album 2. Realised it had taken me 40 mins lol. Then flew through the next few and then got stuck on one on album 3. One attempt I was 1 away. Sooooo anoying. Still good fun and rewarding when you do it. However I kinda wish it wasn't random but actually placed. Random means that it is actually impossible to complete a level sometimes.

Whats with Nihilistic and 4v4 :(

Cornbread78

It is my fastest platinum yet (if you do not count trine 2, which was faster if you used GraverobberX´s fast guide)...

Do you still happen to have a link to that in the trophies threads? I was thinking of spending two hours doing that this weekend in between some WKC2.

Hanmik

Do you still happen to have a link to that in the trophies threads? I was thinking of spending two hours doing that this weekend in between some WKC2.

graverobberx said:
Trine 2
So easy, it's not even funny.
Go Online, find room with a space, Hopefully Chapter 7+, if you get a Chapter 10+ room and has spots, try to join ASAP.
Even if you don't get in, you just need that intro for that chapter, if you see "Saving", you're set.
You accumulate all of Hosts XP/Unlocks.
Just go to SP, and just grab the Shiny Golds however you like
MUAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

it´s simple just join a room with people playing the later chapters.. then just look at the trophy list and get them, they are pretty easy..

Whats with Nihilistic and 4v4 :(

If there game / net code cant run 4v4 without lag and decent frame rate then I'm glad they don't allow more.

In all honesty though. The only reason I like larger games in things like COD is because of the lack of skill needed in the game in general. If a game is going to be hugely luck based then you may as well make it chaotic at the same time. Adds to the fun factor. However If the game is done right, smaller games can bring about a more skill based battle. Also the maps suit 4v4 so its not like you wonder around with no one to kill. Its the least of the problems with there games really haha.

Im interested to see how CoD actually turns out. if they can at least get a solid 30fps they game might actually do OK and be fun online. The frame rate online is prob RBS's biggest issue for me.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Wait, Sonic $ All Stars Racing pre order for 20$? Monkey Ball and Persona 4 for 25? I'm sold. Love you, Canada.

zroid

Banned
HOLY?!?! O_O

I am very, very jealous of Canada right now. FUCK.

BTW, Wipeout and HSG are both great games, you really should get them for that price even if you don't play them right away.

I know, there are a lot of games I'd love to order right now, believe me...

But I've made several impulse buys recently and am already way over budget. Need to hold back ;_;

I used to complain a lot about Canada being pretty shit for gaming deals, but things have really stepped up in the last little while. Quite sure it was the only place you could get a $150 new Vita in June or a sub-$80 3DS XL on day 1.

Shinriji

I just want to know how people are getting over 1 billion in the weekly leaderboards.

I average between 1-10 million per turn and my record is 22 mil.

Lightning Gem, TNT Gem and More Gems... Gem. I don't bother with Totems just because you have to line up the same colour twice in a row and it can be distracting.

37 million here. This week is 18 million, I think, but I am saving jewels right now.

Just a tip: disable the lightning gem. Just like the FF13 character, I spend many hours thinking that it was salvation of the game, but I realize that it is useless. The game became much better without it. :)

Vitacat

I know, there are a lot of games I'd love to order right now, believe me...

But I've made several impulse buys recently and am already way over budget. Need to hold back ;_;

I used to complain a lot about Canada being pretty shit for gaming deals, but things have really stepped up in the last little while. Quite sure it was the only place you could get a $150 new Vita in June or a sub-$80 3DS XL on day 1.

DON'T TELL ME THESE THINGS. O_O

Just buying PVZ doesnt unlock that bit no. As thats all I have bought and I dont get trophies or anything still. I think its one of the 4 packs to unlock those features but im not 100% sure as it doesn't make it to clear. Bit annoying really as so far PVZ is the only table I really like (and i think its brilliant)

You should be able to get any table specific trophies (there are two for PvZ I think) and the 4 "generic" zen pinball 2 trophies.

fernoca

it´s simple just join a room with people playing the later chapters.. then just look at the trophy list and get them, they are pretty easy..
Ha!
Kinda reminds me of the Ninja Gaiden Sigma (2? or 1?) glitch were you unlocked a few gameplay trophies, by just watching a replay. XD

Hanmik

Ha!
Kinda reminds me of the Ninja Gaiden Sigma (2? or 1?) glitch were you unlocked a few gameplay trophies, by just watching a replay. XD

ha.. it is not quite that simple.. but it saves you a playtrough of the game. You just get a lot of XP and open up for acces to the later levels by joining the online games. You still have to get the trophies yourself. But they are easy now that you have the XP to unlock some of the better moves/weapons..

ibsbdFioGh8zg9.jpg
i9j08vNIHy7af.jpg

fuck yeah you guys

Vitacat

MiniSquadron (ps mini) is on sale for 99cents. Just bought it. One of my favorite iOS games and looks/plays great on Vita, real controls ftw. :)

Images from iOS version, on PSP/Vita you won't see those crappy virtual controls. ;-)
IMG_0104.png

minisquadron_2.png

mini-squadron-1.jpg

Recommend you all pick it up. Really fun game, and hey, 99cent PSN games?! Yes, please.

You should be able to get any table specific trophies (there are two for PvZ I think) and the 4 "generic" zen pinball 2 trophies.

well I dont have any.... It says in the game to unlock things like trophies you need to buy the multipack.... Just not sure if it means any multipack or one specific one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom