• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what made me stop playing marvel online. Rage quitting after every match killed it for me. Their fraud records were warning signs. I used to love messaging people after a drop letting them know of their bitchassness. One guy told me he couldn't block dive kicks so he drops. Before people tell me to play player match/lobbies. I had people rage quit there too. Smh.

Lobbies are really the way to go. It stinks waiting a few matches for your turn, but you don't play player matches to worry about records (though apparently your online win-streak is counted in that leaderboard)

I only play ranked to keep my position on the first page on the leader board. If I didn't have so many wins to begin with, I would have reset my rankings already.

I joked with my brother that I'll probably reach first lord on my PS3 before vita due to all the rage quits. Keep in mind I bought it for PS3 a good 2.5 months after the vita.

I still get more pissed off about semi-legit people using auto block. If you suck, fine, you need a crutch. If you finally have a good handle on the game, it's unfair. It forces me to grab WAY more than I've ever wanted.

The game is really dictated by mixups, all of which is impossible with auto blocking on. You have to counter hit to start a combo, or have a character that can combo from a grab.

Sol1dus

I'm not familiar with this but good price. Is it a good game?

Foryourvitahype did a hands-on with the psp on vita version. ClassicGameRoom has a review for it. I can't link you right now since I'm on the iPhone.

Both of those pushed me to purchase it. It's artstyle is really pretty.

Takao

Banned
Hardly, they've given them their most recent fighter, and they're giving them their next one too. MonHun being locked down doesn't mean anything for support from Capcom for their other releases.

PS3, 360, and 3DS all got/will get Resident Evil games this year.

Vita can't even get a Revelations+Mercenaries port.

Pranay

In Japan of all places it appears to be 70:30 from what little we've gotten, so I imagine that figure could be bigger in the west.

Oh really ? A bit shocking considering retail is big in japan

I generally dont consider digital that big outside UK and NA. In NA it could be 60:40 then. Europe i genreally think retail is still big. [might change in future]

[PC games in NA is a different case since its dead in retail and has transistined into digital], so i dont think we should expect digital version selling like hotcakes for Vita since of what i know is retail is still doing good for handheld games interms of ratio as compared to digital .

Copenap

The reason why I almost refuse to play UMvC3 online on my Vita is because it's so easy to rage quit on it. Like, probably even easier than PS360.
That's like the sole reason I'm not getting this game. I can deal with rage quitting as long as I'm at least awarded the win.

Seriously, what were they thinking? I won't ever buy a fighting game were that's possible as I would feal cheated of a well deserved.victory everytime that would happen.

Mzo

Hardly, they've given them their most recent fighter, and they're giving them their next one too. MonHun being locked down doesn't mean anything for support from Capcom for their other releases.
Goddamn, I want a full blown, gorgeous-looking MonHun game made specifically for the Vita.

Godses Eaters sequel would work as well. I guess that's what Soul Sacrifice will be?

Takao

Banned
And you believe that's because Nintendo is paying Capcom not to do so? No, it's not. It's because the Vita is a bomb.

Nintendo may have paid for Revelations. There was really no reason that game couldn't have launched with a Vita SKU. It was built on Framework and would've been a very quick and easy port done for western launch. Based on the reported sales so far it definitely could've used the help of being on multiple platforms.

StuBurns

Banned
Nintendo may have paid for Revelations. There was really no reason that game couldn't have launched with a Vita SKU. Based on the reported sales so far it definitely could've used the help of being on multiple platforms.
Oh yeah, that's certainly possible. But there is no way Nintendo is paying Capcom not to support the Vita. And it could still get a Rev port, six or twelve months would be the expected timed exclusivity contract, more likely twelve, in which case, they wouldn't even announce it for months.

Lobbies are really the way to go. It stinks waiting a few matches for your turn, but you don't play player matches to worry about records (though apparently your online win-streak is counted in that leaderboard)

I only play ranked to keep my position on the first page on the leader board. If I didn't have so many wins to begin with, I would have reset my rankings already.

I joked with my brother that I'll probably reach first lord on my PS3 before vita due to all the rage quits. Keep in mind I bought it for PS3 a good 2.5 months after the vita.

I still get more pissed off about semi-legit people using auto block. If you suck, fine, you need a crutch. If you finally have a good handle on the game, it's unfair. It forces me to grab WAY more than I've ever wanted.

The game is really dictated by mixups, all of which is impossible with auto blocking on. You have to counter hit to start a combo, or have a character that can combo from a grab.

I wish there was a filter for this kinda shit. I also wish you could map some buttons to the rear pad. I could change around buttons for easier charging of buster/round trip stuff

PS3, 360, and 3DS all got/will get Resident Evil games this year.

Vita can't even get a Revelations+Mercenaries port.

This. I would like something more from them then just ports of fighters (even though they are awesome).

Sol1dus

Oh yeah, that's certainly possible. But there is no way Nintendo is paying Capcom not to support the Vita.

I'm betting that Nintendo paid for some form of exclusivity for it but that when the contract expires it will be ported over to other consoles, much like RE4.

All is right in the world again. One step closer to a Gravity Rush sequel?
Outselling ports of a few games that have been released at least 4 different times by now doesn't seem like much to hang your hat on. Honestly it looks like GR did pretty poorly and I'm not surprised at all. It is a shame though, the game is excellent and very unique.

ZeroAKA

Outselling ports of a few games that have been released at least 4 different times by now doesn't seem like much to hang your hat on. Honestly it looks like GR did pretty poorly and I'm not surprised at all. It is a shame though, the game is excellent and very unique.
Gravity Rush sold less than MGSHD according to the top downloads list though. Just leave me in my delusions. :(

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I understand Sony's reasoning behind not showing digital sales but i feel like numbers from the PSN store are much bigger and would provide publishers as well as devs with a positive outlook on the platform. I've found titles like Mutant Blobs and Unit 13 in pretty much every vita I've seen, with Unit 13 being a digital download instead of a retail copy.

To be fair, if the numbers were that much bigger Sony would be shouting them from the rooftops. Just looking at system sales alone in the U.S. there's no way digital sales could be that much more.

Takao

Banned
Oh yeah, that's certainly possible. But there is no way Nintendo is paying Capcom not to support the Vita. And it could still get a Rev port, six or twelve months would be the expected timed exclusivity contract, more likely twelve, in which case, they wouldn't even announce it for months.

You said their support for the platform is jank because the platform hasn't sold well. 6 or 12 months from now the situation likely won't have improved much. A Revelations Vita port missing out on all the RE marketing this year is a poor decision too. You have RE6, and the new live action movie to help build interest for RE. Which brings me to something, who releases those RE movies? Sony. Sony releases both the live action and animated RE movies worldwide. Man, Capcom is so supportive.

As an aside, I think Capcom's Vita lineup is one of the worst of any major publisher. They're probably only rivaled by Activision who so far only has a likely outsourced to a butt munch Z-tier studio Call of Duty in development. Fighting games are supposedly some of the easiest games to port, and Capcom's entire Vita lineup consists of late fighting game ports.

StuBurns

Banned
You said their support for the platform is jank because the platform hasn't sold well. 6 or 12 months from now the situation likely won't have improved much.
No, it won't. But a Rev port would be dirt cheap, it's perfectly inline with shit platform support. I just said Nintendo isn't responsible for their poor support, and they're not. They might be holding back ports of SKUs they've paid to make exclusive, but they aren't paying to poison the well in general.

Shinriji

As long as the device stays piracy-free, with some big games here and there, the Vita is sure to stay afloat for some time. As for me, I already buy 8 retail games (thanks, BestBuy), 2 PSN games and about 10 PSP games and some Mini games. That is way more than the PSP attach rate, and only will grow with time.

Maybe we can do a Neogaf Vita attach rate survey.

see5harp

The reason why I almost refuse to play UMvC3 online on my Vita is because it's so easy to rage quit on it. Like, probably even easier than PS360.

Pretty much every competitive game on Vita is going to need to deal with this issue. That's why I really don't begin to understand why so many Vita fans in here assume online on Vita is better than it is on 360 much less PS3.

patsu

Oh really ? A bit shocking considering retail is big in japan

I generally dont consider digital that big outside UK and NA. In NA it could be 60:40 then. Europe i genreally think retail is still big. [might change in future]

[PC games in NA is a different case since its dead in retail and has transistined into digital], so i dont think we should expect digital version selling like hotcakes for Vita since of what i know is retail is still doing good for handheld games interms of ratio as compared to digital .

On Vita, DD should have bigger draw because your game library needs to be portable. People will feel more frustrated/inconvenienced if they left their favorite game(s) at home, or in another room. And then there's the fear of losing, and dropping the tiny game cards.

In retail market, consumers have the choice to buy used. Perhaps as time goes on, Vita's retail game sale will slow down as the used market and DD market mature. It is possible for people to sell their retail copy and move to DD when there is a DD sales. We got a few questions like this in OT3. The used games can further support other new Vita owners while they wait for newer DD sales.

Perhaps tracking the Vita memcard sales is interesting too.

I wish there was a filter for this kinda shit. I also wish you could map some buttons to the rear pad. I could change around buttons for easier charging of buster/round trip stuff.

You basically have to change your light attack to one of the shoulder buttons. I change it to the R button when I use them.

It takes some getting used to. The less you play the game before you make the switch, the easier it is to be able to do this.

patsu

Pretty much every competitive game on Vita is going to need to deal with this issue. That's why I really don't begin to understand why so many Vita fans in here assume online on Vita is better than it is on 360 much less PS3.

I'm curious to see PS3 and Vita CrossPlay. The PS3 should be able to provide a stable online user base for Vita owners.

The enemy of Vita's online venture is its power. Right now, the online experience is optimized for battery saving. To see Vita's full online potential, Sony needs to implement an "Always Connected" mode for powered Vita first.

Then the healthy supply of Vita memory can make a difference since it can run games and other stuff in the background at the same time.

Takao

Banned
No, it won't. But a Rev port would be dirt cheap, it's perfectly inline with shit platform support. I just said Nintendo isn't responsible for their poor support, and they're not. They might be holding back ports of SKUs they've paid to make exclusive, but they aren't paying to poison the well in general.

Unless Vita's situation improves dramatically I won't be surprised if SFxT is Capcom's last Vita release.

see5harp

I agree that many of the features that would make the Vita better are hampered by battery saving but I really think that disconnection from network when you hit the PS button is a design problem. It again puts the impetus on developers to create solutions for invites and social stuff in the game.

patsu

I agree that many of the features that would make the Vita better are hampered by battery saving but I really think that disconnection from network when you hit the PS button is a design problem. It again puts the impetus on developers to create solutions for invites and social stuff in the game.

It's not a design problem if the first principle is to support power saving, tethered gaming. The apps and games will not make any assumption on connectivity. e.g., Pinball Arcade will take advantage of the network if it's there, or go solo otherwise.

When they add an "Always Connected" mode, then it's problematic. When that happens, it should not be difficult to change the behavior of the PS button.

spannicus

Unless Vita's situation improves dramatically I won't be surprised if SFxT is Capcom's last Vita release.

Sure hope not, I want resident evil. Revelations was great on the 3ds a Vita exclusive RE would be even better. I really hope Sony lowers the price and get the right Software or we're gonna be looking at a Wii scenario with the Vita.

Takao

Banned
Sure hope not, I want resident evil. Revelations was great on the 3ds a Vita exclusive RE would be even better. I really hope Sony lowers the price and get the right Software or we're gonna be looking at a Wii scenario with the Vita.

Yeah, this will never happen.

Mileena

Banned
You mean Dreamcast right?

It's gonna be sad when Vita dies to underpowered shit hardware :(

brentech

I don't buy this doom and gloom shit in the first year of a life cycle. Sony survived a $599 PS3 for some time. They got through it.

Nintendo Wii sold like crazy, yet no 3rd party games really flourished on the system.

Whatever happens in the first year or two doesn't make or a break a system. Sure, more systems sold would help since Sony does generally get good support, but it's not the determining factor of what gets put to the system.

The Vita is not going away over night. Let the chips fall where they may, I'm sure it'll work out.

I think we'll be lucky if we even get revelations, let alone a platform exclusive RE game.

Also, I still find it incredibly bizarre that the vita didn't launch with psone games right out of the gate. How hard couldve that have been?

Third party support? Look how crappy the first party is! We've got Wii tier shovelware like Modnation, Resistance: BS, reality fighters (or whatever its called) and Little Deviants. Plus no PS1 games 5 months later.....
I was just saying, I think he was referencing the Wii because of its notorious lack of quality third party support.

But yeah, I don't think first party support has been very good on the Vita post-launch but I thought the launch lineup was pretty solid.

Don't know if this is the best place to ask this question, but has anybody here played Mana Khemia: student alliance on his Vita and can tell me if there is problem with the frequelt loading?

Takao

Banned
I don't buy this doom and gloom shit in the first year of a life cycle. Sony survived a $599 PS3 for some time. They got through it.

Nintendo Wii sold like crazy, yet no 3rd party games really flourished on the system.

Whatever happens in the first year or two doesn't make or a break a system. Sure, more systems sold would help since Sony does generally get good support, but it's not the determining factor of what gets put to the system.

The Vita is not going away over night. Let the chips fall where they may, I'm sure it'll work out.

There's a huge difference between $599 PS3 and Vita. PS3 was coming off of the best selling console of all time and thus third parties assumed Sony would three-peat and threw their support on it. Vita's coming off of a platform that outside of Japan was never really a huge success. When it became clear that the PS3 wasn't going to repeat the PS2's success third parties didn't bail out of supporting the platform but went multiplatform because game budgets were too expensive to stick with only 1. Vita doesn't have a large library it's sharing with the 3DS like the PS3 did with the 360 because handheld game budgets are a lot more constrained. When Sony realized they lost so many exclusives they accelerated their first party studio growth to support the platform with their own exclusives. Vita has one division almost intentionally trying to sabotage the platform with its top studios laughing at the idea of supporting it.

No good 1st party support. But there are many sleeper hits coming, and there is AC and CoD for the end of the year.
Indeed, and I'm looking forward to those titles because I love my Vita. Still, I have little confidence that they will do much to change the long-term outlook of the Vita in terms of future third party support. I'm not optimistic or pessimistic at this point --- more curious and hopeful than anything.

Indeed, and I'm looking forward to those titles because I love my Vita. Still, I have little confidence that they will do much to change the long-term outlook of the Vita in terms of future third party support. I'm not optimistic or pessimistic at this point --- more curious and hopeful than anything.

Vita needs games like Minecraft, Terraria and popular indie titles for the western market, I dont think big budget 3D titles appeal to them anymore.

Shinriji

There's a huge difference between $599 PS3 and Vita. PS3 was coming off of the best selling console of all time and thus third parties assumed Sony would three-peat and threw their support on it. Vita's coming off of a platform that outside of Japan was never really a huge success. When it became clear that the PS3 wasn't going to repeat the PS2's success third parties didn't bail out of supporting the platform but went multiplatform because game budgets were too expensive to stick with only 1.

Actually, I keep hearing this argument over and over, but the fact is that the PS3 had better strong third party support starting in 2008-2009. I have my PS3 since 2007, and only god knows how barren and shitty things were until MGS4. Way worst than we have now.

Vita is PS3 all over again. But in the meantime we have good games before his 2 year anniversary.

Vita needs games like Minecraft, Terraria and popular indie titles for the western market, I dont think big budget 3D titles appeal to them anymore.
I think it needs everything. The entire scope of games from $1 (or free) to $50 should be well supported on the Vita. That's the dream but unfortunately it doesn't look like Sony is very interested in making it happen so far.

Shinriji said:
Vita is PS3 all over again. But in the meantime we have good games before his 2 year anniversary.
Still, there is a key difference. PS3 was/is Sony's next major platform so first party support was never in doubt. There was no reason for them to divert resources away from supporting it. That might not necessarily be the case with Vita, especially with the PS4 most likely arriving in the next few years.

StuBurns

Banned
Sony had a few great games early in the PS3's life, Folklore and Uncharted were both excellent, lots of people like Resistance and Motorstorm. There were great games all the time. And it's support was always inline with 360, the quality of the SKUs weren't, but the support was, more or less.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

Minecraft would be awesome on Vita, not only would it be neat to have both Touch and Analog/Button controls together to do different things, but jumping online with some friends wherever I am as long as there is a Wifi connection would be sweet.

But that makes too much sense, so it is probably never going to happen.

Takao

Banned
Actually, I keep hearing this argument over and over, but the fact is that the PS3 had better strong third party support starting in 2008-2009. I have my PS3 since 2007, and only god knows how barren and shitty things were until MGS4. Way worst than we have now.

The problem with this comparison is because of the struggle developers had entering into the HD era. 360's early life lineup wasn't that much better because coping with HD development took a lot of time. Vita was designed to exploit current development philosophies to get as many games as possible, and yet there are far less Vita games being released than 3DS, or PS3 ones.

I think it needs everything. The entire scope of games from $1 (or free) to $50 should be well supported on the Vita. That's the dream but unfortunately it doesn't look like Sony is very interested in making it happen so far.

PlayStation Mobile is supposed to be your 99 cent app store.

brentech

There's a huge difference between $599 PS3 and Vita. PS3 was coming off of the best selling console of all time and thus third parties assumed Sony would three-peat and threw their support on it. Vita's coming off of a platform that outside of Japan was never really a huge success. When it became clear that the PS3 wasn't going to repeat the PS2's success third parties didn't bail out of supporting the platform but went multiplatform because game budgets were too expensive to stick with only 1. Vita doesn't have a large library it's sharing with the 3DS like the PS3 did with the 360 because handheld game budgets are a lot more constrained. When Sony realized they lost so many exclusives they accelerated their first party studio growth to support the platform with their own exclusives. Vita has one division almost intentionally trying to sabotage the platform with its top studios laughing at the idea of supporting it.

Still essentially the same case. Slow adoption growth and few upcoming games in the first year.
I don't know how early you bought into PS3, if you got one, but I remember just waiting and waiting for Uncharted. There wasn't much out there besides sports games for a very long time.
I'd say Vita at least released with more titles available.

All I'm saying is that this isn't some unfounded territory. This stuff happens with console releases and more than likely, they'll find a way to get through it. There isn't much reason for people to speculate if the Vita is going to survive at this point. It's way way too early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom