• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

branny

After reading through the recent racing game thread, I'm curious what NA Vita users have available to them that would satisfy the sudden itch I'm feeling for a good racer.

Basically, what available PSP and Vita (and PSX) racing games don't suck?

Random questions:
If I wanted a Ridge Racer, should I go for RR Vita, RR PSP, or R4 (provided we got PSX support sometime this century)?
If I wanted a Burnout, should I go for Legends or Dominator?
If I wanted a WipEout, should I go for the original, Pulse, Pure, or 2048?
Are the NFS PSP games any good?
What about Crash Team Racing and Crash Tag Team Racing?
How does MotorStorm Arctic Edge compare to Pacific Rift?
How was the Crazy Taxi PSP game?
Is Midnight Club 3 good?
Why don't we have OutRun 2006 or Ridge Racer 2 on our store? :(
Do the Jet Moto games still hold up?

ETC ETC ETC

That's not true. Sony is developing the whole PS Suite thing for those super-cheap games (and more), they have PS Minis already, they have PSN games that can be more expensive than Minis and they've got, like, 3 tiers of retail release pricings (29.99, 39.99 and 49.99$).
Of course, but there is still a massive gulf between the combination of quality and quantity in Sony's smaller digital offerings compared to something like Steam, wouldn't you say? I think the Vita needs a store that is constantly being updated with new software and is known for being a great place for indie developers to publish their games (as long as the games are good). I might have been a bit harsh in my wording because I do think Sony is doing okay in this regard (especially compared to Nintendo) but I still think there is a lot of room for improvement and I'd love to see Sony dedicate more time and effort to that area.

A perfect example of where Sony can improve in this regard is PSP game pricing. I know they aren't responsible for all of the prices in their store but they should really be doing something along the lines of Steam sales by now (I know they have sales but I'm talking a much larger scale), and it's honestly ridiculous how expensive a lot of PSP games still are on PSN.

patsu

I came in to talk about my new boomerang: The Nyko power grip.

It makes my Vita look like a giant Batarang (50%-100% larger than a DS3). It's more comfortable to hold and use the buttons + sticks with this grip. Touchscreen input is slightly more awkward now because my hands are slightly further apart.

I left it to charge the entire day. There is no switch, so as long as you plug this thing in, it will start to power the Vita. They claim to double Vita's battery power. The mAh rating we found seem to validate that claim, but we shall see.

The grip has a USB port (for power). Unfortunately, the port doesn't work with the Content Manager Assistant. 8^( I have to remove Vita from the grip and connect it to my Mac directly to transfer content.

When in use, the grip covers the game card bay and the accessory port bay. Since I'm all DD, it doesn't bother me at all. The memcard slot remains accessible.

That's it for now ! Been looking for an integrated backup battery for my Vita, this thing does the job in the mean time.

cyborg009

Banned
I was looking at the few pages back and I remember how Dissidia was one of the most pirated PSP games ever. 5+ million

But I would love to see a new one on the Vita

patsu

I was looking at the few pages back and I remember how Dissidia was one of the most pirated PSP games ever. 5+ million

I think Vita's DD is an interesting angle. For people who bought used retail games and then switch to DD on discounts (for convenience), it means the developers get to recover their lost dollars via DD eventually.

It's not a bad trick at all. Sony and partners should learn to optimize DD sales carefully.

The other thing is how much does it take to make a Vita game ? I remember one of the launch games was done in 8 months. How far can they improve it without sacrificing quality ? And then how much work to port to other ARM platforms later ?

sajj316

I think Vita's DD is an interesting angle. For people who bought used retail games and then switch to DD on discounts (for convenience), it means the developers get to recover their lost dollars via DD eventually.

It's not a bad trick at all. Sony and partners should learn to optimize DD sales carefully.

Agreed. Ask Valve, not EA for advice ;)

whitehawk

Banned
After reading through the recent racing game thread, I'm curious what NA Vita users have available to them that would satisfy the sudden itch I'm feeling for a good racer.

Basically, what available PSP and Vita (and PSX) racing games don't suck?

Random questions:
If I wanted a Ridge Racer, should I go for RR Vita, RR PSP, or R4 (provided we got PSX support sometime this century)?
RR Vita if you care about visuals and online play, otherwise RRPSP is better for single player.
If I wanted a Burnout, should I go for Legends or Dominator?
If I wanted a WipEout, should I go for the original, Pulse, Pure, or 2048?
Are the NFS PSP games any good?
What about Crash Team Racing and Crash Tag Team Racing?
How does MotorStorm Arctic Edge compare to Pacific Rift?
How was the Crazy Taxi PSP game?
Not bad. Short on content, although I'm not sure what I was expecting. It's crazy taxi and it runs well
Is Midnight Club 3 good?
Why don't we have OutRun 2006 or Ridge Racer 2 on our store? :(
Do the Jet Moto games still hold up?

ETC ETC ETC
Answered the ones I know.

Famassu

Of course, but there is still a massive gulf between the combination of quality and quantity in Sony's smaller digital offerings compared to something like Steam, wouldn't you say?
Sure, but Vita is just getting started. It's not like Live Arcade or PS3 PSN were filled with content right from the start. I mean, within the next month or two we should be getting Zen Pinball 2, Sound Shapes, Kickbeat, Retro City Rampage & Jet Set Radio HD, at the very least. I don't know about you buy that's plenty enough for me to last for some time, especially after the last month of sales on PS Store (and GOG) and with Ragnarok Odyssey and stuff like that coming.

I think the Vita needs a store that is constantly being updated with new software and is known for being a great place for indie developers to publish their games (as long as the games are good). I might have been a bit harsh in my wording because I do think Sony is doing okay in this regard (especially compared to Nintendo) but I still think there is a lot of room for improvement and I'd love to see Sony dedicate more time and effort to that area.
Hopefully PS Suite will bring in more indie devs. At least it should be easy enough.

A perfect example of where Sony can improve in this regard is PSP game pricing. I know they aren't responsible for all of the prices in their store but they should really be doing something along the lines of Steam sales by now (I know they have sales but I'm talking a much larger scale), and it's honestly ridiculous how expensive a lot of PSP games still are on PSN.
There's a great Atlus sale going on in the US at the moment and Europe's massive summer sale ended a couple of weeks ago (on which I spent way too much money) and we've got a Square Enix sale going on till tomorrow. That and close to Vita's release there were some huge permanent price drops for a lot of PSP games (at least in Europe). I think they are doing just fine on the sale-front, at least from an European's POV. There's always room for improvement, but I don't really think I'd have had the money to buy any more games on sale, let alone having time to actually play them.

cyborg009

Banned

The other thing is how much does it take to make a Vita game ? I remember one of the launch games was done in 8 months. How far can they improve it without sacrificing quality ? And then how much work to port to other ARM platforms later ?

They really need to take notes from Valve and get more PSP games on the store

Probably would be 3DS exclusive

Square doesn't give a shit about the Vita... yet

So weird since SE games on the PSP were so good too....

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
It's really SCEA. This is Sony's Saturn.

Lucky for you SCEA doesn't make GT games.

SCEA is not really the only problem here.

-SCEJ and SCEE support for Vita is not amazingly better or anything.

-SCEJ can't put all of their A-grade studios on Vita, unless Sony drop the support for their home consoles completey(which will kill PlayStation brand).

-SCEA studios most likely on PS4 development right now, should they start making strong titles to push PS4 or makes games for Vita and enter a huge gamble of fail or success.

What should SCE here do is

1) make smaller teams inside each of their big SCEE/SCEA studios that are dedicated to Vita(for example now ND has two team for consoles, GG has two teams on consoles,PD has two teams for consoles, Santa Monica has like a million team for consoles) this will solve part of the problem.

2) Expand SCEJ studios (since Vita market depend on it) and change their outdated strategy that put the system on mercy of third party publishers and that by by buying smaller Japanese studio that make games on many genres, hire more guys and more well known designers in SCE Japan Studio, let PD make other games in other genre in case GT popularity went south more.

Takao

Banned
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (Vita) (now $25.19, original price $35.99)
Hustle Kings (PS3 & PS Vita) (now $6.99, original price $9.99)
Madden 12 (PSP) (now $13.99, original price $19.99)
Major League Baseball 2K12 (PSP) (now $6.99, original price $19.99)
NBA 2K12 (PSP Version) (now $13.99, original price $19.99)
Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition (PS Vita) (now $27.99, original price $39.99)
DJMax Portable 3 Digital (PSP) (now $19.99, original price $39.99)
Blazing Souls Accelate (PSP) (now $14.99, original price $34.99)
Cho Aniki Zero (PSP) (now $9.99, original price $14.99)
Fate/Extra (PSP) (now 14.99x, original price $24.99)
Jikandia: The Timeless Land (PSP) (now $14.99, original price $24.99)
Mimana Iyar Chronicle (PSP) (now $14.99, original price $34.99)

Additional price cuts on the Vita games if you have PS+

Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition (PS Vita) (now $27.99, original price $39.99)

Never heard of any of those, any of those really good?

Fuck yes finally. Thank god for having PS+. VT4 at least is mine. I'm going on a road trip on Saturday so I'm gonna stock up.

Lucent

Yeah because I swore someone said Hot Shots Golf would get a 50% discount via PS+. I'm still not sure even after the demo if it's something I wanna get though. Can't believe they only put one full vita game on sale. Pretty impressive cut on that Mimana Iyar Chronicle game though...but not sure if I'd want it or not. lol.

Edit: Didn't notice Virtua Tennis for some reason. lol. But not really interested in Tennis. >_<

Sure, but Vita is just getting started. It's not like Live Arcade or PS3 PSN were filled with content right from the start. I mean, within the next month or two we should be getting Zen Pinball 2, Sound Shapes, Kickbeat, Retro City Rampage & Jet Set Radio HD, at the very least. I don't know about you buy that's plenty enough for me to last for some time, especially after the last month of sales on PS Store (and GOG) and with Ragnarok Odyssey and stuff like that coming.
Without spending too much time on lists I will just say that I'm kind of in the middle right now. On the one hand I agree with what you're saying and I am excited for some upcoming PSN Vita games but on the other hand I still think Sony should be much better at this by now. I feel like we should be seeing tons of ports of great indie games to the system, similar to what we see with Steam, and that just doesn't seem to be happening much at all. Of course, this might not all be Sony's fault since I'm sure plenty of devs just don't want to bring their games to the Vita but I'd like to see them take a more active approach in helping that process along. Before the Vita came out I was anticipating almost every upcoming PSN games being playable on both PS3 and Vita, and while there are certainly a good deal of PSN games available for both platforms I still feel like the situation could be much better. But yeah, it is something that is still in an early phase of its life so I'm not trying to say Sony has completely screwed it up already and there is no hope or anything like that.

Hopefully PS Suite will bring in more indie devs. At least it should be easy enough.
I hope it does! Nowadays whenever I'm playing an XBLA or PSN game I just think about how great it would be on Vita. Spelunky is a great recent example.

There's a great Atlus sale going on in the US at the moment and Europe's massive summer sale ended a couple of weeks ago (on which I spent way too much money) and we've got a Square Enix sale going on till tomorrow. That and close to Vita's release there were some huge permanent price drops for a lot of PSP games (at least in Europe). I think they are doing just fine on the sale-front, at least from an European's POV. There's always room for improvement, but I don't really think I'd have had the money to buy any more games on sale, let alone having time to actually play them.
Yeah, that Atlus sale was nice and again I'm not saying Sony has completely failed here but there is still so much room for improvement (especially with SCEA). Just a few pages ago someone listed a dozen or so old PSP games and their prices and they were simply outrageous considering how old the games are at this point.

At the end of the day I'm still excited for Vita's future, I'm just somewhat concerned. I'm looking forward to seeing how things pan out.

Also, I should throw in the note that when it comes to me personally I am very satisfied with my Vita. I'm really just discussing these issues more from the perspective of the system's success in the future.

cjkeats

Now my internal bickering over Hot Shots Tennis vs Virtua Tennis is even harder.
I've heard nothing but good things about both, and now they're the same price, and size.

MLB The Show got a discount at retail and but not on PSN. :(

Now my internal bickering over Hot Shots Tennis vs Virtua Tennis is even harder.
I've heard nothing but good things about both, and now they're the same price, and size.

HSG is an amazing game, well worth buying. I'd pick that up first if you have to choose.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Just bought Virtua Tennis 4. I need cool Virtua Tennis friends, so my PSN is domify if anybody wants to add me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom