• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
PS3 is completely different. Publishers could spread those games across PS3, 360 and PC, and those platforms had to succeed for the industry, the Vita only matters to Sony. No one has a vested interest in it, so no one is going to stick their neck out to support it.

PS3 is completely different. Publishers could spread those games across PS3, 360 and PC, and those platforms had to succeed for the industry, the Vita only matters to Sony. No one has a vested interest in it, so no one is going to stick their neck out to support it.
It's true. Not only that, with the PS3 at least I always felt like Sony had confidence in the future of the platform. I don't feel that way about the Vita, especially after E3.

sajj316

The only thing I would say is that for dedicated portable gaming to succeed, Vita and 3DS need to succeed. Otherwise, the portable industry will likely shift towards the Gameloft and Zyngas of the world and major publishers like EA and Activision would shift resources into iOS and Android dev. I don't want to see that.

StuBurns

Banned
The only thing I would say is that for dedicated portable gaming to succeed, Vita and 3DS need to succeed. Otherwise, the portable industry will likely shift towards the Gameloft and Zyngas of the world and major publishers like EA and Activision would shift resources into iOS and Android dev. I don't want to see that.
I can't see how the Vita's existence would change that in any way.

Cloudy

Banned
I can't believe they couldn't get Square to put out a legitimate FF game for this or PSP

I mean, what are the AAA titles on Vita that aren't ports/remakes that can sell the system?

- Uncharted
- Gravity Rush
- Assassin's Creed

Not good enough. I love the system but this is looking like Dreamcast so far (not Saturn lol). At least the PSP library helps a bit

sajj316

It's really SCEA. This is Sony's Saturn.

Hardly. Sega shafted third parties right from the beginning by launching before the scheduled date. This alienated third parties and retailers. Compare that to the Vita, who had an amazing amount of third party titles available day one.

Mileena

Banned
At least you'll have NSMB 3DU2-2

Verelios

Lucky for you SCEA doesn't make GT games.

Damn. That's cold.

I really want to start going full digital, but it's so hard. So very hard when all these deals keep on flying left, right and center, and the only incentive I have to go digital is to have the game on my card. The price is exorbitant, I will likely not get it until the night of the release, or even the next day, and it's a bitch to download. Tell me- why does Sony not want me to go digital?

I can't believe they couldn't get Square to put out a legitimate FF game for this or PSP
What's your definition of legitimate? The PSP got:
• Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
• Dissidia: Final Fantasy
• Dissidia 012: Duodecim Final Fantasy
• Final Fantasy
• Final Fantasy II
• Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection
• Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
• Final Fantasy Type-0

You're not going to get a mainline Final Fantasy game for a portable system anytime soon.

sajj316

I can't see how the Vita's existence would change that in any way.

Change what? The transition to smartphone gaming? I don't think Nintendo by themselves can sway publishers to keep in the dedicated handheld business considering a majority of sales on their devices are Nintendo published.

Shinriji

Vita was designed to exploit current development philosophies to get as many games as possible, and yet there are far less Vita games being released than 3DS, or PS3 ones.

On the same period of time? I don't think so.

PS3 (7 months in - 51 games)

Genji: Days of the Blade
Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire
Resistance: Fall of Man
Ridge Racer 7
Sega Golf Club
NHL 2K7
Mahjong Kakutou Club
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Madden NFL 07
Call of Duty 3
Need for Speed: Carbon
NBA 2K7
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
Tony Hawk's Project 8
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
Mahjong Taikai IV
Fight Night Round 3
Full Auto 2: Battlelines
Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
MotorStorm
Armored Core 4
Railfan: Chicago Transit Authority Brown Line
Sonic the Hedgehog
Formula One Championship Edition
Yamasa Digi World DX
Enchanted Arms
Virtua Fighter 5
Major League Baseball 2K7
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam
Def Jam: Icon
Virtua Tennis 3
NBA Street Homecourt
College Hoops 2K7
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
The Godfather: The Don's Edition
Mist of Chaos
World Snooker Championship 2007
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Winning Post 7 Maximum 2007
F.E.A.R.
Professional Baseball Spirits 4
Spider-Man 3
MLB 07: The Show
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Surf's Up
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Fantastic Four
Harry Potter
Folklore
Transformers
The Darkness
The Bigs
Rainbow 6: Vegas

PS VITA (57 games)

@FIELD
ARMY CORPS OF HELL
ASPHALT: INJECTION
BEN 10: Galactic Racer
BLAZBLUE: Continuum Shift Extend
CIEL NO SURGE
DISGAEA 3
DOKURO
DREAM CLUB ZERO PORTABLE
DUNGEON HUNTER ALLIANCE
DYNASTY WARRIORS: Next
F1 2011
FIFA SOCCER
FISH ON NEXT
GRAVITY RUSH
HELLO KITTY TO ISSHO! BLOCK CRASH V
HOT SHOTS GOLF: World Invitation
KIDOU SENSHI GUNDAM SEED BATTLE DESTINY
LEGO BATMAN 2
LEGO HARRY POTTER YEARS 5-7
LITTLE BUSTERS: Converted Edition
LITTLE DEVIANTS
LORD OF APOCALYPSE
LUMINES: Eletronic Symphony
MAHJONG SHINSEI
METAL GEAR SOLID HD COLLECTION
MICHAEL JACKSON: The Experience
MLB: THE SHOW 12
MODNATION RACERS: Road Trip
MONSTER RADAR
MORTAL KOMBAT
NEW LITTLE KING STORY
NIKOLI NO SUDOKU 5
NINJA GAIDEN SIGMA PLUS
PERSONA 4 GOLDEN
PRO BASEBALL SPIRITS 2012
RAGNAROK ODYSSEY
RAYMAN ORIGINS
REALITY FIGHTERS
RESISTANCE: Burning Skies
RIDGE RACER
SAMURAI & DRAGONS
SHIN KAMAITACHI NO YORU
SHINOBIDO 2
SLOTTER MANIA V: Black Lagoon
SUMIONI: Demon Arts
SUPER MONKEY BALL: Banana Splitz
SUPREMACY MMA
TALES OF INNOCENCE
TIME TRAVELLERS
TOUCH MY KATAMARI
ULTIMATE MARVEL VS CAPCOM 3
UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss
UNIT 13
VIRTUA TENNIS 4
WIPEOUT 2048
ZERO ESCAPE: VIRTUE LAST REWARD

3DS (62 games)

Asphalt 3D[13]
Bust-a-Move Universe[21]
Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D[4]
LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars[64]
Madden NFL Football[
Nintendogs + Cats[
Pilotwings Resort[6
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D[4]
Rayman 3D[64]
Ridge Racer 3D[4]
Samurai Warriors: Chronicles[89]
The Sims 3[64]
Steel Diver[94][95]
Super Monkey Ball 3D[97] A
Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition[4]
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars[105]
Rabbids: Travel in Time 3D[81]
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D[64]
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game[65]
Dream Trigger 3D[40]
Dead or Alive: Dimensions[37]
SpongeBob SquigglePants
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II[17]
Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion[24]
Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters
Balloon Pop 2[14]
Cubic Ninja[36]
Transformers: Dark of the Moon[106]
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D[63]
Petz Fantasy 3D[77]
Reel Fishing Paradise 3D[83]
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D[64]
Thor: God of Thunder[102]
Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions
Brunswick Pro Bowling[20]
Dual Pen Sports[42]
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked[44]
Driver: Renegade 3D[41]
Star Fox 64 3D[64]
Bit.Trip Saga
Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection
Frogger 3D[50]
Deca Sports Extreme[38]
FIFA 12
The Hidden
Tetris: Axis[100]
Happy Feet Two
Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove 3D[51]
Spider-Man: Edge of Time
Mahjong Cub3dOctober 11, 2011
Imagine Fashion Designer 3D
Ben 10: Galactic Racing
Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet
Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
The Sims 3: Pets[92]
Pokémon Rumble Blast[78]
Harvest Moon: The Tale of Two Towns
Generator Rex: Agent of Providence[52]
Angler's Club: Ultimate Bass Fishing 3D[
Captain America: Super Soldier[22] S
Nikoli's Pencil Puzzle
Zoo Resort 3D[110]
Animal Resort: Doubutsuen wo Tsukurou!JP

I know it looks like gloom and doom but I think this holiday can be very strong for the Vita. There are alot of great games coming out later this year and if SCEA gives it a little marketing push it could sell pretty well imo.

StuBurns

Banned
Is that even going to get a US release? And would Sony let them sell it as a Vita game?
Apparently they've said they're working on a Western release. It's certainly the grandest portable Final Fantasy they've built, they won't let it sit on the shelf forever. How it comes over though, no idea. Porting from PSP to Vita is apparently very easy, I wouldn't be surprised to see it. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go to the 3DS either.

Pranay

On Vita, DD should have bigger draw because your game library needs to be portable. People will feel more frustrated/inconvenienced if they left their favorite game(s) at home, or in another room. And then there's the fear of losing, and dropping the tiny game cards.

In retail market, consumers have the choice to buy used. Perhaps as time goes on, Vita's retail game sale will slow down as the used market and DD market mature. It is possible for people to sell their retail copy and move to DD when there is a DD sales. We got a few questions like this in OT3. The used games can further support other new Vita owners while they wait for newer DD sales.

Perhaps tracking the Vita memcard sales is interesting too.

That's an interesting point.

StuBurns

Banned
wow @ all this doom and gloom. You guys must really want me to sell my vita huh?
I am actually very excited for the Vita's future. Sony aren't going to abandon it, it's going to keep getting some kooky Japanese games, the 3DS is horrible, so it's not like I have some awesome alternative.

I went in knowing third party support will probably never materialize. It's not going to stop it being a cool little toy.

Hardly. Sega shafted third parties right from the beginning by launching before the scheduled date. This alienated third parties and retailers. Compare that to the Vita, who had an amazing amount of third party titles available day one.

He's referring to the American arms of both companies practically sabotaging the respective consoles.

Cloudy

Banned
Apparently they've said they're working on a Western release. It's certainly the grandest portable Final Fantasy they've built, they won't let it sit on the shelf forever. How it comes over though, no idea. Porting from PSP to Vita is apparently very easy, I wouldn't be surprised to see it. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go to the 3DS either.

If I'm Square-Enix, I don't want to release it as download only cos that won't sell as much. And PSP only seems like a money-loser too. Would Sony let them sell a ported PSP game as a Vita title? Not that they can afford to be picky right now lol

StuBurns

Banned
I'm I'm Square-Enix, I don't want to release it as download only cos that won't sell as much. And PSP only seems like a money-loser too. Would Sony let them sell a ported PSP game as a Vita title? Not that they can afford to be picky right now lol
If it's ported, not just via BC, yeah. Sony don't have a publishing rule about content originating on Vita. You can release the same game on both platforms at once in fact.

Takao

Banned
Oh man, poor Katamari is at the BOTTOM?!! The little prince deserves so much better.

You're crying about Katamari? What about Disgaea, and Virtua Tennis? They're not even on that list.

According to Kagari SQenix is thinking about releasing it on Vita. Thinking about it...

I don't know why SCEJ hasn't announced a GT for Vita. Gran Turismo for PSP took ages to come out and wasn't very well received yet sold millions.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't know why SCEJ hasn't announced a GT for Vita. Gran Turismo for PSP took ages to come out and wasn't very well received yet sold millions.
They're probably holding it back for one of the upcoming conferences. The PS3 isn't going to get anything else with the PS4 on the horizon, so Sony has two major conferences to tackle, GT Vita will probably show up at one of them.

patsu

Still, there is a key difference. PS3 was/is Sony's next major platform so first party support was never in doubt. There was no reason for them to divert resources away from supporting it. That might not necessarily be the case with Vita, especially with the PS4 most likely arriving in the next few years.

I suspect Sony and partners will find/learn that mobile gaming is as important as living room gaming in the near future. ^_^
They may or may not realize this just yet, but the landscape is shifting rather quickly.

That's an interesting point.

Yeah... I lost all but one of my favorite retail game cartridges already, so I know the pain ! >8^/

EDIT:
If by legitimate FF you mean a new numbered FF, then that won't happen. Square has said that those are made for consoles.

I'm more curious in your avatars. They seem to change every few days to different girls. Are you a photographer ?

wow @ all this doom and gloom. You guys must really want me to sell my vita huh?
Regardless of my somewhat skeptical view of Vita's future the system is still awesome and totally worth the purchase purely based on the games that are already available for it (not to mention the great library of PSP games). Plus, there will at least be some good games for the Vita in the future, even if that future turns out to be a rough one.

Y'know, after the 3DS price drop fiasco, I'm not about to pull the trigger yet on Vita (I want one but I've waited this long); so long as it's not something where there's a rumour of a Vita 2.0 coming to market, I'd bite as soon as the price drop hit.

What about Ragnarok has people pumped?

It just looks like a decent MH style game from what I have seen with different classes.
I would gladly play it.

I think because of the poor E3 doubts are high, but you could look at Nintendo WiiU and say the same thing. Now with more hands on coming out and it's launch lineup shown, people are coming around.
Hopefully Sony will continue to focus on this device because it really has potential.

Famassu

I think it needs everything. The entire scope of games from $1 (or free) to $50 should be well supported on the Vita. That's the dream but unfortunately it doesn't look like Sony is very interested in making it happen so far.
That's not true. Sony is developing the whole PS Suite thing for those super-cheap games (and more), they have PS Minis already, they have PSN games that can be more expensive than Minis and they've got, like, 3 tiers of retail release pricings (29.99, 39.99 and 49.99$).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom