• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

I had purchased several tables from the first ZP. So for me it was a no-brainer. I get to play all my tables for free on the Vita.

My favorite tables are:
Paranormal
Sorcerer's Lair
Mars
Tesla

I also have several others including the first Marvel pack that was free for plus members for a while as well as Excaliber and Earth Defense.

Worth it? I think so.

I haven't played it on PS3 either so i suppose i'm not invested in it already, hence making it seem like an expensive proposition. I'll keep an eye on it though. Thanks.

E: Linking for new page.

Google spreadsheet of VitaBro PSN names https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amgg-_uFluNadDF5Sm9NM3pMQXZfbHRkMzQyR05HMVE#gid=0

branny

I feel left out for not really caring about MGS. I can't get into that series at all, but it's probably because I don't particularly care for most stealth games (I quite enjoyed Human Revolution last year, though). All I like is that creepy Beauty and the Beast MGS4 trailer. And I'm super duper excited for Revengeance. If I wanted to try to get into the series, I should start with MGS1, right?

That aside, I have a PSone classics-related question. I've never played all the way through the early Resident Evils (yet somehow managed to find time to beat other similar games like Galerians, Parasite Eve, and Dino Crisis a long time ago). I keep hearing that RE2 is one of the best, so I've been wondering if it's approachable as a modern (post-RE4) fan. Though I respect RE4, I hardly think of it as some holy piece of software and honestly don't believe it's that much better than RE5 and Revelations (and each of those already seems outclassed by how RE6 controls in comparison anyway, so whatever). But out of RE1, RE2, and RE3, is RE2 the one I should be looking at if I'm interested in an older survival-horror game that's actually fun to play? Or should I just pass on it and wait for RE6?

I'll add myself here, too.

omg omg omg

iBQuynD26p1Rj.jpg

HEY XIUL YOU'RE THE GREATEST

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so whatever). But out of RE1, RE2, and RE3, is RE2 the one I should be looking at if I'm interested in an older survival-horror game that's actually fun to play? Or should I just pass on it and wait for RE6?

RE6 is a shooter and not a survival horror. so I don't get this. :/

anyway 3:Nemesis is the finest of the old PSone ones (but if you want real RE experience go and play REmake Cube/Wii it is super good)

I feel left out for not really caring about MGS. I can't get into that series at all, but it's probably because I don't particularly care for most stealth games (I quite enjoyed Human Revolution last year, though). All I like is that creepy Beauty and the Beast MGS4 trailer. And I'm super duper excited for Revengeance. If I wanted to try to get into the series, I should start with MGS1, right?

Dunno,MGS1 is very outdated right now (it's playable but the shooting and other stuff are just bad),Just play the tanker chapter of MGS2 or just jump to MGS3 (do whatever you want but avoid MGS4 and Piss Walker at all costs)

Tailer

Yep added myself too, now the problem is that anyone can edit/troll this and there is no proof to it either.
Plus the link should be available from the OP if it isn't there already.

Diebuster

So I platinum'd Gravity Rush yesterday. It was a fantastic game and I loved every second of it, but there is one trophy from the DLC that I can't get, leaving me at 98% total completion. That won't do at all.

So basically, does anyone have any tips for the second challenge that comes with the Maid DLC that involves getting a score of 21,000 points? It's the one where you have unlimited super meter and can use your special attacks as much as you'd like. The highest I've gotten is 17,000.

Since you're that far, I assume you're already out maxed out on powers, or at least close to it. You should have Gravity Typhoon and the Black Hole attack maxed out at least.

What you'll want to do is spam those two attacks, alternating between them depending on the situation. Most of the time you'll just use Gravity Typhoon, but the Black Hole attack is good for clusters of enemies (for instance the first group of enemies at the start of the challenge). Spiraling Claw and regular attacks are things I never used, and I had plenty of time to spare after meeting the Gold requirement.

zroid

Banned
Yep added myself too, now the problem is that anyone can edit/troll this and there is no proof to it either.

Probably true. Why don't we at least limit access to GAF members by password protecting it and hiding the password in an email quote thing. In the OP.

If i message one and go outside, they might talk to me and expect a reply :(

On that note, thanks to to near a couple of months ago I met some random guy who had Unit 13 which I bought for 20 bucks cash when it was still 34.99 used at gamestop.

Burned through it and traded it into Best Buy with the 100% Trade-In and made all my money back to get Gracity Rush =p

Roubjon

Since you're that far, I assume you're already out maxed out on powers, or at least close to it. You should have Gravity Typhoon and the Black Hole attack maxed out at least.

What you'll want to do is spam those two attacks, alternating between them depending on the situation. Most of the time you'll just use Gravity Typhoon, but the Black Hole attack is good for clusters of enemies (for instance the first group of enemies at the start of the challenge). Spiraling Claw and regular attacks are things I never used, and I had plenty of time to spare after meeting the Gold requirement.

Yeah, I've maxed out everything. The main problem I have is with those spike ball guys who can only be hit after they complete their spike explosion animation. Should I use Black Hole so I can get close to them, causing them to do their animation?

This is literally the only challenge in the whole game where I've had actual trouble trying to complete it. Everything else was reasonable after a couple of attempts.

Carl

On that note, thanks to to near a couple of months ago I met some random guy who had Unit 13 which I bought for 20 bucks cash when it was still 34.99 used at gamestop.

Burned through it and traded it into Best Buy with the 100% Trade-In and made all my money back to get Gracity Rush =p

I'd rather pay the extra money and not have to talk to anyone! :p

MisterC20XX

Haha, indeed. I use it but i never use it to message people. I don't like the idea of people near me knowing how much of a geek i am...

:p On the contrary, I would welcome everyone nearby to know. However, I don't want to interact with them in the first place :(
because I'm a geek

If i message one and go outside, they might talk to me and expect a reply :(

Thanks guys, now I feel a little better! ;)

If you haven't played the Vita in a while, it's easy to forget.

It's not a huge deal, I mean, you can just pull the thing out of the slot for crying out loud, but one of many little oversights that pile on.

Doesn't the bubble throb/pulse a little? I could swear it does.

when u have 16 games its a bonus,believe me

I dunno, I had like 9 before I sold Rayman and Uncharted. I only keep 5 on me (4 in the case, 1 in the slot) and I usually can remember... and I'm an old old man. :p

branny

RE6 is a shooter and not a survival horror. so I don't get this. :/

anyway 3:Nemesis is the finest of the old PSone ones (but if you want real RE experience go and play REmake Cube/Wii it is super good)
Haha, I am most interested in having fun and totally recognize that modern RE is totally different than earlier games. Basically, I'm itching for something survival-horror right now, and, with RE6 around the corner, was looking into the earlier RE games to celebrate its release as that would kill two birds with one stone.

I just don't want to play RE1, RE2, or RE3 if they're garbage. Many people cite REmake as their favorite RE, but I'm a huge fan of Kamiya so was leaning more toward RE2. I just want to play survival-horror right now and wanted to take the chance on something I haven't played before.

It's is also why I brought up MGS since that series has always stressed me out the same way. I just don't want to waste money on something that I won't like. Getting more info on what people thought of MGS games and early REs was kind of a way for me to determine which is best for me to pursue right now as a "companion" game to Tekken Tag 2. =\

Grinchy

Banned
The 'free game!' stuff surrounding Zen 2's release was misguided and misleading, and even as demos for the tables they are a little on the brief side.

Still, after dropping $40 on 16 tables and playing all of them a moderate amount, I feel I got my money's worth and then some, or I guess the content equivalent of a retail portable game. The game is just so darn playable and polished, it does so many things right that TPA got wrong. From control options to performance to graphical assets and textures to PS3 crossbuy to offline scores updating to leader boards once online, they nailed everything (music could be better though).

I also find every table interesting and fun, where I had a more hit-and-miss experience with TPA's offerings. I don't like Iron Man much, but the rest are quality, fun, and as charming as you would expect them to be based on the IP's they use.

Nice write-up. Even with the very brief access that the "demo" gives me, I can tell it's a quality game. I'm not sure if I can justify spending a bunch on it, but I'm really damn tempted. Do you think the original game for $10 is worth it?

I've got a 20 dollar PSN card-do I get

1. Sound Shapes

or

2. Escape Plan?

I am one of the people who liked the EP demo, but I'd say Sound Shapes for sure. I just like that game so much. I didn't follow it up to its release or anything, so it was just a huge surprise to me as far as how much I liked it and how creative it was.

Diebuster

Yeah, I've maxed out everything. The main problem I have is with those spike ball guys who can only be hit after they complete their spike explosion animation. Should I use Black Hole so I can get close to them, causing them to do their animation?

This is literally the only challenge in the whole game where I've had actual trouble trying to complete it. Everything else was reasonable after a couple of attempts.

What I did was launch Gravity Typhoon just outside of the area they're in to take out any of the non-spike guys. Then I launched myself into the middle of the platform to get them all to attack, using Gravity Typhoon afterwards. Black Hole, at least in my experience, wasn't very effective here.

You will probably take damage with this method, but you should have plenty to spare anyways (and you'll get health gems later at the starting area).

Sid

I know it's been said before but man i wish yosp/sony would listen about the vita os running at sub native res,the aliased bubbles look a bit bad.

Grinchy

Banned
This is probably just my general, low-level paranoia speaking, but is anyone else a little freaked out by using Near? I like the idea of Near, but it feels strange to me that I can so easily interact with people I don't know when they are so geographically close to my real-world location.

When I first got my Vita, I would fuck around with people nearby. I'd mention landmarks or recognizable things, and say I was hiding behind them. I told one guy I peed in our local water supply. I'd get all kinds of crazy responses lol

Rasec

Was downloading something and and started Treasure Park, which apparently was enough to lock up the system. ;_; All good now though, I believe.

bring it on

already got my plane ticket so I'm coming

They've always been nice, though. <3

Damn, you're a multitasking monster. xD You're able to play treasure park, get cool points and at the same time get a plane ticket to kill me.
You know that my revenge will be that when you decide to get on that plane to come here to kill me your project diva f copy will get sent back to japan because there was no one at your home to receive the game. Muhahahaha!! xD

Starting up ToMB for the second time ever. Hopefully I survive.

When I first got my Vita, I would fuck around with people nearby. I'd mention landmarks or recognizable things, and say I was hiding behind them. I told one guy I peed in our local water supply. I'd get all kinds of crazy responses lol
That is awesome. :lol

Damn, you're a multitasking monster. xD You're able to play treasure park, get cool points and at the same time get a plane ticket to kill me.
You know that my revenge will be that when you decide to get on that plane to come here to kill me your project diva f copy will get sent back to japan because there was no one at your home to receive the game. Muhahahaha!! xD
people do call me a monster at times

And really, the joke's on you! The shipping chose had an option that I didn't need to sign for the package! Sucker!

Carl

MGS 3 has a more cohesive story, excellent environments, really cool characters and the best bosses in the entire series... What does MGS4 have besides nanomachines? I think MGS3 trumps MGS4 as both a game and story... You're welcome to disagree... but you'd be wrong! ;)

Gameplay that's actually fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom