• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
Ugh, I think I'm quitting Treasure Park, at least until the Please Wait bug gets fixed. Don't want people to keep wasting messages on me. And I can't even get credit for the messages I send either. Stinks.

I should play other things anyway. Was fun while it lasted!

Ugh, I think I'm quitting Treasure Park, at least until the Please Wait bug gets fixed. Don't want people to keep wasting messages on me. And I can't even get credit for the messages I send either. Stinks.

I should play other things anyway. Was fun while it lasted!

One contender down. My rank S goal is now ever closer to my grasp.

sorry to hear this though ):

Newline

Replaying Gravity Rush, man I love this game. I haven't played many games that have absolutely charmed the socks off of me, this game does.

Takao

Banned
"Oh, that's not even the tip of the iceberg. Next year is going to be NUTS- from every single angle. Buckle up."

hmmm

(This is from an SCEA employee in regards to my shock that moe moe fishing is being released here)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
oh wow..look like Sony will finally give up the to pressure from Gearbox (need to dig the old posts in this thread-or was that part3?- to see if people changed their opinion on the entire thing)

Replaying Gravity Rush, man I love this game. I haven't played many games that have absolutely charmed the socks off of me, this game does.

I'm planning on replaying it since I love the story way too much it's like a weird crazy Ghibli movie,but Alundra got in between for now (but I need to do it before Torchlight 2).

Derrick01

Banned
"Oh, that's not even the tip of the iceberg. Next year is going to be NUTS- from every single angle. Buckle up."

hmmm

(This is from an SCEA employee in regards to my shock that moe moe fishing is being released here)

You had me excited that they were going to announce a bunch of huge new games until I read what that quote was to :(

hmmm

Nuts - Rachet and Clank
Angle - WWE 13 Kurt Angle edition
Buckle up - MotorStorm

hmmm

is that response implied they have a bunch of super niche titles localization, or just they have lots of game across genre coming out?

I'm getting Treasure Park fatigue too. :(

I spend more time waiting for loading screens and managing messages than I do playing the puzzles. I hope they patch it, but I doubt it since it's a freebie.

@TheGrimHeaper, I'll send some puzzles to you too so you can get to S!

Kevin

Thinking about joining you guys and purchasing a Vita. Not many games are available which is unfortunate but there are a couple which has peaked my interest. Uncharted: Golden Abyss is a must for me as I'm a fan of the series but I am also interested in Gravity Rush. Don't know a whole lot about it but from the footage I've seen, it looks pretty great. Hoping it's a game that delivers some great atmosphere and solid storytelling. Does it deliver that GAF?

OmegaZero

Thinking about joining you guys and purchasing a Vita. Not many games are available which is unfortunate but there are a couple which has peaked my interest. Uncharted: Golden Abyss is a must for me as I'm a fan of the series but I am also interested in Gravity Rush. Don't know a whole lot about it but from the footage I've seen, it looks pretty great. Hoping it's a game that delivers some great atmosphere and solid storytelling. Does it deliver that GAF?

If that's all you're looking for, then it delivers the former in spades.
The latter is sort of hit or miss, though. It's charming and thought-provoking, but the ending is (imo) unsatisfying and several key questions are left unanswered.

EDIT:
PS Vita sounds like an energy shake so it's appropriate :)

Yeah, I guess it has more to do with the name of the Vita then the word as a whole. I think.
Vitabros unite!

patsu

hmmm

Is he your friend ? Or a regular employee who spoke with you over the net ?

Oh snap. Still hope it sells good enough. :/

In Japan? Not a chance. 50k would be its ceiling there IMHO.

We've tweaked the platforming so it's more responsive and precise and kept plane shifting to a minimum in the story mode levels. Not having to worry about backwards compatibilty helped a lot push several improvements. Those who've tried the beta so far have had positive experiences over LBP1/2 so far. Hopefully more people will like what we tried to improve on over the console versions. :)

Are you working at Tarsier now? Didn't know that. I remember seeing your posts and your levels way back on LBP1. Congratulations. From neogaf right into the industry.

That moe moe fishing was far from the wackiest of stuff to come.

I've been hearing the same stuff. I think Sony has figured out that anything and everything they are releasing digitally is selling really well. I think they have us pegged as an adventurous group of consumers and I also think they are helping mask a smaller library with more ports from Japan. Put it all together and Moe Moe Fishing is just the tip of the iceberg.

i didn't have any crystals to use totems so i went in naked. proud that i got this much without it.

7978427163_172d6f8fac_b.jpg

time to see if i can get to at least 2 million.

That is a hot score for a naked run. I've been dreaming in TOMB lately. Colored blocks is all I see when I close my eyes!

leroidys

I finally got around to picking up Gravity Rush. Cross posting my impressions from the OT...

leroidys said:
So I finally bought this game. I just finished chapter 17 and decided to get the dlc, so I've just been flying around exploring before going for the final stretch. I wanted to put down some of my impressions so far to see how they hold up after I complete the game. I'm just going to give them more or less in bullet points, as I find that more readable for game impressions.

So far I've been loving it. It feels like some weird mash up between Studio Ghibli, Folklore, infamous, and Gunvalkyrie or Otogi. But it works!

Presentation
+ The cohesive style is really phenomenal. The art, music, and graphics of this game are all top notch and complement each other very well.

+The world is amazingly detailed and feels actually crafted rather than simply generated or ground out.

+Up thread, someone made a comment about feeling like you're holding a world with all these people in your hands. I completely agree. I can't put my finger on what elements work together to give this feeling, but it is pretty awesome.

+The different areas of the city as well as the rift plane or whatever all have a unique character, and feel well designed. I'm always glad when games do something other than fire are, ice are, water area...

+The map and menus are fantastic. The touch interface works flawlessly here.

Gameplay

- ... BUT there is almost nothing to do in the city! It's sad that so much care went into designing the visual aspect of the city, but almost none into the activities there.

+/- I normally hate "challenges" in games, where they just have you kill x guys or swing your sword x times without getting hit y times, or deliver item A to location B in C time or whatever, but all of the challenges in this game so far actually seem very well designed. I could see myself into actually trying to speed run some of the racing challenges, which have a great flow. The leaderboards are a very nice inclusion for this.

+The controls actually work very well after spending some time with them. The gravity slide was poorly explained and originally a chore, but once I got the hang of making sharp corners, it's really fun to use. However...

- Why the FUCK is there no lock on? When was the last time a 3rd person beat em up came out like this without the ability to lock onto enemies? It's just absolute lunacy. They even have left and right on the d-pad available, why didn't they use them for this?

+Other than that I found the combat to be pretty good. I always manage my expectations within the context of the game, and I thought the system had just the right amount of depth. For another example, people often complain about the combat in Ico. Yes, it is pretty dull, but if they had some combo based 3D fighter system or something, it would have spoiled the nature of the entire game. As it is, all of Kat's different abilities were fun to use, and actually useful.

+I liked the use of the tilt controls. I would use the analog stick to make big changes in the camera angle, and the tilt to fine tune my aiming. Overall, it worked really well.

Story

+Kat. Finally, a(n almost) normal female lead in a game! I was relieved that the team were able to restrain themselves enough to not just make her some generic tsundere gal or something. She's got great character and never felt insulting with only a couple moments approaching fan service.

+I love the comic book approach to storytelling, and this along with the color scheme really reminded me of the other SCEJ (and Game Republic, RIP) game, Folklore. The 3D effect of tilting the system was a very nice touch.

Overall, I love this game, though I can't say its perfect. I haven't yet finished it, but I am near the end and think that I can definitely say that it at least does not overstay its welcome, which is somehow a rare trait in video games today. This game NEEDS a sequel. The second they introduced Yunica, I wanted a sequel with different playable characters. Being able to switch between Kat, Raven, Yuca, etc. would be awesome. The game could also benefit from some control refinements, though overall they were serviceable, and more variety in gameplay.

Whoa whoa whoaaaa. I've been watching LBP vita beta gameplay and it looks great. The original popit/UI looks like it was made for touchscreen. Huge thing I noticed in this video:

You can download community levels in LBP vita?!

EDIT: oh this was confirmed a long while back. I must have forgot or something.

Sintoid

Whoa whoa whoaaaa. I've been watching LBP vita beta gameplay and it looks great. The original popit/UI looks like it was made for touchscreen. Huge thing I noticed in this video:

You can download community levels in LBP vita?!

Yes, but not the one made on PS3 :( only the ones made on PSV
The wonderful thing is that you can store in your memory card each comunity level so that you can play them even when you're not connected to PSN

Hanmik

hanmik let it be known that i hate you, i just got a little big planet vita request from you :(

damn.. you are not the first to mention that.. it seems the game sends out challenges and more by itself. Because I have been very carefull not to send out anything to anyone when I was playing that game. sorry for the messages guys..

i didn't have any crystals to use totems so i went in naked. proud that i got this much without it.

7978427163_172d6f8fac_b.jpg

time to see if i can get to at least 2 million.

Best naked run for me was about 14 million, got a screenie somewhere, or at least had one on my broken Vita :( Think I may have posted it in this thread somewhere.

Edit: Lied it was 12 million

582132_10151095539752502_1499707879_n.jpg

Hanmik

Best naked run for me was about 14 million, got a screenie somewhere, or at least had one on my broken Vita :( Think I may have posted it in this thread somewhere.

Edit: Lied it was 12 million

damn I suck at this game.. my highest score is something like 220.000 points.. I´m to old for that game..

Darkangus

damn.. you are not the first to mention that.. it seems the game sends out challenges and more by itself. Because I have been very carefull not to send out anything to anyone when I was playing that game. sorry for the messages guys..

I got one too... =)
My first thought was: "I'm playing this sucky game and he is having a blast...) =P

Hope I can catch you playing after the game launch... =)

lol @ Sony LBP email marketing:

Become a hit in the LBP community by sharing your masterpieces with squillions of PS Vita gamers via PSN

Emphasis mine! 10m sales target not high enough?
Looking forward to trying it though, will be my first LBP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom