• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsu

I finally got to try a vita hands on and it's definitely a nice handheld but I just can't get my head around the price. The load times on the uncharted demo felt absolutely horrible though. Is that the case with the full game or is the demo just messed up?

May be I forgot but I don't particularly remember Uncharted has bad load time.

EDIT: Beaten !

I will say that the Vita demo is far from the real experience where you could walk around with "all" your favorite games on your memcard, and play anywhere.

One nice thing about the Vita demo is the LiveArea bypass though. ^_^

DR2K

Banned
It's an RPG. I want the exploration, the immersion, the feeling of being in an actual world - I want the fat.

Not a blue dot that represents my character.

It's my fault that I expected a perfect port after all the online adulation, but I hadn't thought that most of the people praising the game already got the full P3 experience through the original or FES. I didn't, so I'm left with a soulless husk of what the creators originally intended me to experience.

Oh my God, yes. And PSP2 and BbS and Tekken Dark Resurrection and Peace Walker and...

P3P was never about exploration, the areas were always super limitied for that. What were you exploring in Persona 3?

I just finished the game, and will say it mustve been the demo. The only noticeable loading is when you start up a game from what I remember. Side note, I was really impressed with it. It's fantastic and doesn't get anywhere near the praise it deserves.

May be I forgot but I don't particularly remember Uncharted has bad load time.

It felt like forever to get to the title screen after clicking it to load, none of the splash screens in the beginning were skippable and the opening cinema took a while before you were allowed to skip it. It told you it was still loading int he background. That's good that the final game isn't bad. I was really impressed by the graphics though, definitely a nice looking game.

Edit: I wish I had time to try hotshots also on the console. I was in a suit at target playing it and I was just sweating to death so I gave up and left. :(

patsu

It felt like forever to get to the title screen after clicking it to load, none of the splash screens in the beginning were skippable and the opening cinema took a while before you were allowed to skip it. It told you it was still loading int he background. That's good that the final game isn't bad. I was really impressed by the graphics though, definitely a nice looking game.

I don't think the Uncharted demo gives you an accurate picture. Load time is not an issue; not according to my memory.

The real game has a lot more stuff to do, but it also has some questionable touchscreen and gyro use. I like the game more than U1 and U3, but of course U3 is more amazing (The shipyard 8^O).

At first I was skeptical about the small screen for Uncharted. After a while, I didn't think the screen is small anymore. The audio could use some boost OTOH.

I don't think the Uncharted demo gives you an accurate picture. Load time is not an issue; not according to my memory.

The real game has a lot more stuff to do, but it also has some questionable touchscreen and gyro use.

At first I was skeptical about the small screen for Uncharted. After a while, I didn't think the screen is small anymore. The audio could use some boost OTOH.

Ya, that's what I was figuring since I don't remember any complaints with it but I also haven't looked at much stuff with the Vita so I wasn't sure if I had just overlooked it either.

I finally got to try a vita hands on and it's definitely a nice handheld but I just can't get my head around the price. The load times on the uncharted demo felt absolutely horrible though. Is that the case with the full game or is the demo just messed up?

The game loads initially, rather than in between chapters or scenes. The only really long load (or load at all), is just when booting up the game. Ironically, the demo - the portion that is chosen as a showcase - is the ugliest/most bland portion of the game. It's also just a brief section of the game - not majority in that area, maybe 8-12% of any time spent there....

The jungle (majority of the game) and the later
caverns/river
sections are very visually stunning. The cutscenes, voice acting and animation is just impressive. The way trees cast shadows which dance along Drake, general lighting and beautiful landscapes reflected by running river water - just jaw dropping. This was my first experience with Uncharted (non PS3/no interest in that system owner), hopefully it won't be my last. Loved the game.

The system is class. It's got the best directional pad I've ever used. On any system. It's got analogs, sure, but they lack the "resistance" (no pun intended) of the 3DS Slide pad. The OS is very functional, especially in a post-iOS world. It's just a great system, it "feels" more premium than it's asking price.

If you've got a hankering for deep, rewarding and generally well made/beautiful handheld games, it's a perfect compliment to a 3DS, or as a sole system. Can't go wrong, any way you stack it. Sony just needs to figure that out.

I had one more question, did Sony ever clear up if the AC bundle for Vita still comes with a memory card? I see gamestop still lists it with one but I don't see it in the "bundle includes" section on sony's site for it. Is it still not clear? That might be the thing to sell me on the Vita if there's not a sale before then.

patsu

Ya, that's what I was figuring since I don't remember any complaints with it but I also haven't looked at much stuff with the Vita so I wasn't sure if I had just overlooked it either.

Vita's experience won't be decided by just one game.

To me, the greatest benefits is it frees me from living room gaming. I can schedule my play time much better, anywhere, anytime. I throw my Vita in my MacBookAir bag or the glovebox and go.

The second benefit is comfort. I <3 to play Vita in my warm and cozy bed.

As for the games, I would start with the PSP library first if you haven't tried them yet. Then pick quality Vita titles based on your preferences and people's recommendations here.

Eusis

BBS's situation only gets more puzzling when you realize that Dream Drop Distance will be released on the eShop.
My best guess is that they didn't arrange the contracts properly in the first place and didn't want/didn't care to fix them by the time BBS came out. I imagine they learned their lesson from that and made it so future KH games could be digitally released, possibly making the eShop thing a lucky coincidence more than anything else.

Vita's experience won't be decided by just one game.

To me, the greatest benefits is it frees me from living room gaming. I can schedule my play time much better, anywhere, anytime. I throw my Vita in my MacBookAir bag or the glovebox and go.

The second benefit is comfort. I <3 to play Vita in my warm and cozy bed.

As for the games, I would start with the PSP library first if you haven't tried them yet. Then pick quality Vita titles based on your preferences and people's recommendations here.

I've played pretty much everything I want on PSP so it's library doesn't do much for me especially since the ones I have to finish are on UMD.

As part of a Q&A, Famitsu asked Kawano if the next Game Heaven event would be held soon. Kawano responded that while he could not get too specific, he does not want to leave too long a gap before the next one. He also promised major titles which he could not detail.

Regarding Tokyo Game Show, Kawano said that he believes the balance for this year's show will shift towards Vita. TGS will be held in September.

http://andriasang.com/con1yq/game_heaven_part_2/

patsu

I've played pretty much everything I want on PSP so it's library doesn't do much for me especially since the ones I have to finish are on UMD.

Ah, then you'll have to look at the Vita library carefully. I don't know if the AC bundle includes a memcard.

I think Sony should put a few big PSP titles on the Vita demo station. That way, PSP owners will be able to see the difference when the same game is played on Vita. ^_^

I own a PSP too, but didn't really use it to play a lot of games because I didn't like the experience. Bought Peace Walker on UMD, but didn't make it past the tutorial. 8^P

Ah, then you'll have to look at the Vita library carefully. I don't know if the AC bundle includes a memcard.

I think Sony should put a few big PSP titles on the Vita demo station. That way, PSP owners will be able to see the difference when the same game is played on Vita. ^_^

I own a PSP too, but didn't really use it to play a lot of games because I didn't like the experience.

What do you feel is so different about the experience?

M.W.

I'm sure it's been asked recently, but is Virtua Tennis 4 for the Vita good? I see it's on sale for $19.59. Seems like a good deal.

I'm sure it's been asked recently, but is Virtua Tennis 4 for the Vita good? I see it's on sale for $19.59. Seems like a good deal.

Definitely. Highly recommended. Lots of content and the world tour mode is fantastic. The graphics are also very good. This is the game I will show my friends when they ask about the Vita.

Mainly the dual sticks and the screen... plus the convenience of switching quickly between games when I get bored with one.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39886937&postcount=863

EDIT: In a nutshell, it made me think "This is what PSP tried to be but failed.".

Can you remap shooters like the syphon filter games to have true dual analog? And most of those are the same as PSP as long as you put custom firmware on it. I hated my psp until I started using CFW, after that it was one of my favorite devices.

I can also highly recommend Virtua Tennis 4. I've been playing it since I bought it over the weekend, and I've been playing nothing else. It just feels perfect.

And it looks stunning.

fn2Pz.jpg

bC6GO.jpg

I can also highly recommend Virtua Tennis 4. I've been playing it since I bought it over the weekend, and I've been playing nothing else. It just feels perfect.

And it looks stunning.

fn2Pz.jpg

bC6GO.jpg

It's a fantastic game. I've been enjoying it since Febrary. It's great in short bursts, too! ^_^

(not to mention its the best looking title on Vita)

patsu

Can you remap shooters like the syphon filter games to have true dual analog? And most of those are the same as PSP as long as you put custom firmware on it. I hated my psp until I started using CFW, after that it was one of my favorite devices.

I didn't toy with CFW on my PSP. The remapped controls indeed make a huge difference. However the PSP itself have hardware limitations that CFW can't fix. The nub feel and the LCD quality remains the same. Vita has larger screen and faster network to boot too.

I suspect you should be able to tell the difference when you play it.

As for remapping Syphon Filter, I think it depends on how the game is written. Unfortunately, I haven't played the PSP version to comment. I don't even know if it's compatible with Vita at this point.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE

And it looks stunning.
I agree with everything. I bought it this morning and it's all I've done today. I'm even playing it now!

Also, Zeer0id and DidntKnowJack, I added you guys on PSN, and The Grim Heaper, I sent you a Steam friend request.

I just had a random thought that we will probably never see a first person Fallout game on the Vita, and how amazing it would be on such a device, on the go.

And it made me sad. :(

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Virtua Tennis 4 question: If I bump up the difficulty of my World Tour, will the number of stars I receive increase?

Dammit, that looks great. Tempted to grab PS+ just to buy this and HSG...

we've established that you may be my idol but i do not wish to be around or friends with you

I'll restart to see if I get it, then!
Don't know why, but I got an error when I tried to add you. So it didn't go through for some reason.
There's clearly something wrong with me.

I sent you the friend request a few days ago Grimmo. I'm sopite.

I just had a random thought that we will probably never see a first person Fallout game on the Vita, and how amazing it would be on such a device, on the go.

And it made me sad. :(
I don't think we'll be getting many Fallout games period for the next few years.

There's clearly something wrong with me.

I sent you the friend request a few days ago Grimmo. I'm sopite.
That first part is old news.

But I restarted Steam and got it, so no worries!

After playing fes and p3p I gotta say

p3p>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>fes IMHO

it might be because i played p3p first but its hard to go back to the archaic battle system of fes. You can't control your party members or block. Plus the shuffle time is much easier and add in the female protagonist which is like a different game. The small uninteractive barren 3d world and low budget anime cut scenes just aren't worth the gameplay sacrifices IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom