• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought (All digital):

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
Escape Plan
Everybody's Golf
Gravity Rush
Hustle Kings
Motorstorm RC
Super Stardust Delta
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack!!!
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Virtua Tennis 4

Wishlist:

Assassin’s Creed III: Liberation
Chronovolt
DJ Max Technika TUNE
Dokuro
Dragon's Crown
Guacamelee
Kick Beat
LittleBigPlanet
Lumines: Electronic Symphony
Malicious Rebirth
New King's Story
Persona 4: The Golden
SINE MORA
Snapshot
Soul Sacrifice
Sound Shapes
Touch My Katamari
Urban Trials

There's enough stuff for me to fill the next 18 months (if released in my region/import possible). I still wish there was more support, especially from Japanese devs.

Even without any major announcements, there really are some great sleeper hits on the Vita.

SmokyDave

You're not alone, it's not particularly good.

There's a lot about the game that I like, and it definitely showcases the talents of the Vita, it's just that the mission structure is so damned bland.

How far are you? Spoiler that if necessary. I generally agreed early on but sometime around the midpoint things improve and you really come to grips with how to flourish while playing, which complements the increasing complexity fairly well (even though the missions are always relatively straightforward). Sometime around
downtown
I fell in love with the game.
Chapter 18, I think.

I love flying around collecting the purple gems. I love the presentation of the cut-scenes. I love the feeling of falling miles just to land exactly where I wanted. I love the general aesthetic of the game. I just wish there was more, better stuff to do in the world. GTA4 Syndrome, basically.

Am I playing too much Wipeout or is the battery life very short ( I guess 3 hours?)?
No such thing.

Not sure about battery life. I've found it very reasonable compared to my 3DS and my iPhone (when heavy gaming).

StuBurns

Banned
I love the feeling of falling miles just to land exactly where I wanted.
That is amazing. I can be illogically high, drop out of gravity mode, and land exactly on a conversation character every time. I don't know if I'm a genius or there's some very subtle lock on happening behind the scenes, but it's very impacting.

Chapter 18, I think.

I love flying around collecting the purple gems. I love the presentation of the cut-scenes. I love the feeling of falling miles just to land exactly where I wanted. I love the general aesthetic of the game. I just wish there was more, better stuff to do in the world. GTA4 Syndrome, basically.

Yeah I know what you mean there. I guess I just enjoy the mechanics of the gem hunting and exploration so much that the fact some missions are a bit dull doesn't bother me so much. I also thought the missions in the second half were a lot more interesting.

Not sure about battery life. I've found it very reasonable compared to my 3DS and my iPhone (when heavy gaming).

Yeah my iPhone 4s only lasts about 90 mins on a high graphics game (modern combat 3). i don't use it for those sorts of games any more though.

Im just not into shmups.... I watched youtube vids on it and its just not my kinda thing. No commission for you this time im afraid :p
Sorry if this comes off as a bit overbearing (I know everyone's tastes are different) but I'm not really into shmups either and I still absolutely loved Velocity. I think the main reason why is because the focus of the game is much less about dodging bullet patterns and fighting enemies and much more about navigation and exploration. It's really a unique little game, I don't think videos do it much justice.

Sorry if this comes off as a bit overbearing (I know everyone's tastes are different) but I'm not really into shmups either and I still absolutely loved Velocity. I think the main reason why is because the focus of the game is much less about dodging bullet patterns and fighting enemies and much more about navigation and exploration. It's really a unique little game, I don't think videos do it much justice.

There is definitely something to it that's makes me slightly tempted. However I got to many games on this gameless system to get through at the moment. Il possibly pick it up during a dry spell.

Carl

Yeah i couldn't agree more. Generally i am not a fan of Shmups at all, but LOVE Velocity. As you say, i think it's because of the other unique mechanics in there.

Anyway, taste is taste. If/when it ever has a price drop, or if you run out of things to play, i definitely recommend picking it up, Omega

kerrak

you guys are confusing the shit out of me, in that other Vita thread there was a bunch people saying Vita are no haz any gaemz, then I come in here and you guys are posting so many games, I just don't know who to believe, you people who actually own the thing or the other people who don't but know more about it's future than Sony apparently does...

to buy or not to buy?

If you're looking only for a bunch of rpgs, then VitaHasNoGamez™
If you're looking only for a bunch of original ip, then VitaHasNoGamez™
If you're looking for the full psp library, then VitaHasNoGamez™
If you're looking only for 1:1 ps3 ports, then VitaHasNoGamez™
If you don't like anything in the Sony franchises, then VitaHasNoGamez™

If you enjoy multiple genres, quality ports/multiplats, some original ip, indie/psn style goodies, a bit of minis or F2P, then Vita has already plenty to offer.

brentech

I love flying around collecting the purple gems. I love the presentation of the cut-scenes. I love the feeling of falling miles just to land exactly where I wanted..

This was literally my favorite aspect of the game.

And the above post about Vita games is correct. If what's available is the type of stuff you're into, Vita has plenty of games.

|ync

8 hours a day for five years or so? Your non-replaceable battery will have given out long before then, and the analog sticks will have worn out as well.

Don't know if this has be mentioned yet, but the vita battery can be accessed easily if you have a screwdriver (I think the online manual originally even had instructions, but I can't find it anymore). I don't see any replacement batteries for sale right now, but I imagine that will change by the time people's batteries start dying

Cornbread78

So, have I gone overboard so far? I feel like I'm still missing a ton of games, but these have kept me busy so far..

Retail:
- Dungeon Hunter
- Modnation Racers
- Metal Gear Sold HD
- Resistance (traded for Ninja Gaiden)
- Disgaea III
- Hot Shots Golf
- MLB The Show

Digital:
- Plants Vs. Zombies
- Motorstorm RC (free)
- Mutant Blobs
- Super Stardust
- TOM Blitz (free)
- Final Fantast Tactics (PSP)
- Killzone Liberation (PSP)
- Athena (Mini, instantly brought me back to me NES days)
- Babel (Mini)

Already pre-ordered:
- Persona 4
- Little Big Planet
- CoD

Once I'm done the HD collection, should I go for Gravity Rush or Ragnarok in Sept.?

Also, is It better to pick up Virtue Tennis for $14.99 (PSN), Touch my Katamari for $19.99 (Gamestop) or Whipout HD for $19.99 (Wal-Mart)

brentech

Yeah i couldn't agree more. Generally i am not a fan of Shmups at all, but LOVE Velocity. As you say, i think it's because of the other unique mechanics in there.

Anyway, taste is taste. If/when it ever has a price drop, or if you run out of things to play, i definitely recommend picking it up, Omega
Could you imagine Velocity with PSN trophies. Your O face would trigger.

Carl

Steam makes this sale look especially bad. You can buy the PC version for 2.50 right now or buy the PS3 version for 10 bucks over the weekend.

Comparing it to steam will always make it a bad deal, especially when you are comparing across countries.

In the end, it's cheaper than it was.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
As an FYI to Virtua Tennis 4 players, the game clock continues running even when the Vita's in sleep mode.

I was wondering how I managed to play 20 hours in two days.

patsu

Steam makes this sale look especially bad. You can buy the PC version for 2.50 right now or buy the PS3 version for 10 bucks over the weekend.

It was free in September 2011 if you are a PS+ member. ^_^
That's how I got it.

In the end, I picked up the Vita version as well for the good will.

I got a question about the battery in the 3G version(got the FEB). I was wondering if turning off the mobile network access has any affect on the battery life? Does this turn the 3G feature off?

patsu

I really liked Gravity Rush, but there are elements of it that are wholeheartedly average. The central mechanic is gobsmackingly excellent, though, and it has a lot of charm. Kat is a fun character. A sequel should be really excellent.

I have similar opinion. I hope Sony continue to invest in Gravity Rush. The presentation is unique, core mechanics is special, and the game world + characters are adorable. At some point, I hope PS Home is like GR.

patsu

I got a question about the battery in the 3G version(got the FEB). I was wondering if turning off the mobile network access has any affect on the battery life? Does this turn the 3G feature off?

I haven't measured it myself but I think battery life _should_ be better with mobile network off.

I left it off and can still use the GPS, if that's what you mean by "3G feature".

AwRy108

"Mobile Network" is your 3G connection, so turning it off causes the Vita to stop searching for that type of connection. If you're a subscriber, then you probably want to leave it on; but it does impact battery life, though I'm not sure as to what degree.

patsu

Don't know if this has be mentioned yet, but the vita battery can be accessed easily if you have a screwdriver (I think the online manual originally even had instructions, but I can't find it anymore). I don't see any replacement batteries for sale right now, but I imagine that will change by the time people's batteries start dying

Yeah, it was in the Japanese online manual. Not sure about the western version.

brentech

As an FYI to Virtua Tennis 4 players, the game clock continues running even when the Vita's in sleep mode.

I was wondering how I managed to play 20 hours in two days.
That explains my 35 hours then as well. I've played a good bit, but might be closer to 15 or even under.

StuBurns

Banned
I played some more GR, the second half of the game is certainly more entertaining so far. Still not fantastic, but pretty cool. I'm sure I'll finish it, I want to trade it in for Dragon's Dogma, so I'll try and finish it this week.

patsu

Hot Shots Golf Lobby will fit better as Vita Home,or they can use something like their PSP Room
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWrHJZFXG38

social app like home/room for Vita (but faster and more appealing than the soulless one on PS3) can be a nice thing.

Yeah... many people expected something like HSG's lobby for Home (Lightweight and cute).

I like the GR world because it's not restricted by normal physics. I dislike the restrictive movement set in Home. I want to be able to run, fly and stand at the side of the building or upside down and look around. The existing Home landscape is heavyweight fluff (+ advertisement).

Cloudy

Banned
So I bought Ridge Racer for $12 on ebay. Worth it? I heard there's like 5 cars and 3 tracks lol

PS: I've never played a RR game before

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Yeah... many people expected something like HSG's lobby for Home (Lightweight and cute).

I like the GR world because it's not restricted by normal physics. I dislike the restrictive movement set in Home. I want to be able to run, fly and stand at the side of the building or upside down and look around. The existing Home landscape is heavyweight fluff (+ advertisement).

I think the big realistic approach is what turned most people off PS home, I guess people don't want to go into a boring life-like virtual world but instead something cute and unrealistic.

So I bought Ridge Racer for $12 on ebay. Worth it? I heard there's like 5 cars and 3 tracks lol

the game is bad and still a ripoff even for $12.

if you have a PS3 get RR7 it's the best game of the series. (or at least get RR PSP from the Vita store)

Shinriji

One poster from CAG sayed that Hakuoki now works on Vita. You have to transfer from a PS3. I don't have the game, so if anyone could confirm that.

I played some more GR, the second half of the game is certainly more entertaining so far. Still not fantastic, but pretty cool. I'm sure I'll finish it, I want to trade it in for Dragon's Dogma, so I'll try and finish it this week.

You're trading in one of my favorites games of the year for another one of my favorite games this year. Awesome~!

Probably worth it even though I heard it wasn't too good. Apparently there's a bunch of overpriced DLC, too.

Cloudy

Banned
the game is bad and still a ripoff even for $12.

if you have a PS3 get RR7 it's the best game of the series. (or at least get RR PSP from the Vita store)

Wow it's that bad? Like it actually plays bad as opposed to being bare-bones?

StuBurns

Banned
You're trading in one of my favorites games of the year for another one of my favorite games this year. Awesome~!
I'll be trading in Uncharted GA too.

It's strange, reading this thread, seeing what games people choose to buy on a cart or on PSN, wondering if it's because they intend to trade them in, or because they care more about them and want the boxes and quicker loading.

I bought Lumines on PSN, but that's because it's something I'll always want on hand.

KAL2006

Banned
Thought I'll repost my Gamescom predictions here

MediaMolecules or Guerilla Games new IP announced for PS3/Vita
Gameplay video of Call of Duty Black Ops Declassified for Vita
FIFA 13 Vita gameplay demonstration, features crossplay with PS3
Need for Speed Vita gameplay video shown, features cross play with PS3
Killzone Vita trailer
Ghost Recon Final Mission announced (this got leaked with AC3 way back)
Invizimals Vita announced
Gran Turismo Vita announced, only showing the logo

The reason why I put the games in the above list
Gran Turismo is most popular in Europe, but we will only see a logo as the game is hardly ready
FIFA is extremely popular in Europe, if they showcase cross online play and being able to continue master league through cloud save, this would be huge
Invizimals was quite big in Europe for PSP, a Vita follow up makes sense due to the extra AR features, also the last game the developer made was Reality Fighters
It's time to see gameplay footage for COD and Need for Speed, both games are coming this year
Ghost Recon Final Mission was leaked along with Assassins Creed 3 Vita here is the link
MediaMolecule and both Guerilla Games are rumored to be making a new IP, I am guessing one will show up
Killzone Vita should be quite far in development, also Cambridge's last game was in 2010 plus they have merged with Gurilla Games

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Rush job from what I heard and the bare bones/DLC nature of it makes it a total fucking ripoff.

I was so excited for the game too, until I heard about the nature of the pricing structure. 30 dollars for basically nothing and then I have to pay for everything else? Yeah.. no. If it was a 5 dollar downloadable title, I can see that being OK.

But yeah, if you really want some RR action on the go, get the PSP version.

Sol1dus

Very close to rebuying a Vita today. I sold my original due to sudden money woes that have since subsided. But I really want to focus on school this semester and don't need any more distractions; I already have a 3DS practically glued to my hands as of late.

So haaaaaaard. D:

I'd say just wait. Stick it out with the 3DS and then reward yourself at the end of the semester with a Vita. :)

I'll be trading in Uncharted GA too.

It's strange, reading this thread, seeing what games people choose to buy on a cart or on PSN, wondering if it's because they intend to trade them in, or because they care more about them and want the boxes and quicker loading.

I bought Lumines on PSN, but that's because it's something I'll always want on hand.

its more of a file size issue for me. Anything over 1.5 Gigs or so is a non go for DD, I have a 32 gig card but the prices of them are so expensive that it doesn't make sense IMO

The game plays quite well actually. It's locked at 30 fps and the online is really good! I rarely experience any lag when racing.

The problem with the game is the lack of offline content. In order to advance you need to play spot races (which can be played offline but will only level you up to a certain point). Instead of a world tour or campaign, you are given a choice of teams at the beginning of the game. You choose one and then you go on to play in the various modes earning points for your team. This is cool, but if you aren't online you are limited to playing time attack or spot races.

Most of my game play time has been racing against ghosts to earn exp for upgrades. Downloading ghosts and beating them is a lot of fun.

So, for $12 I think you will definitely get some fun out of it. Just don't expect any awesome intense races against the AI... At least until you get
Devil Reiko

Lucent

One poster from CAG sayed that Hakuoki now works on Vita. You have to transfer from a PS3. I don't have the game, so if anyone could confirm that.

Someone in the July pick-ups thread posted pics of the game running on his Vita, so it's true.

Joe Molotov

The only retail game I've bought is Hot Shots Golf, because I bought it before I made the decision to go all digital. Since it's always in my Vita, it's basically a digital game, though. I guess I'll go ahead and post my list:

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
Rayman Origins
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Lumines: Electronic Symphony
Touch My Katamari
Unit 13
Gravity Rush
Mutant Blobs Attack
Motorstorm RC

And then a ton of PSP games:

Ys Seven
Third Birthday