• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
there is a Solar rechargeable battery for Vita on Amazon ($45)
41Z4bUAl9zL._SS400_.jpg
51Yy5DDG-hL._AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0056A7O9Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also Portable Emergency AA battery Charger. ($20)
41FVV82u6nL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
31UzjScj7SL._AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0056A5NX8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Famassu

Finished blob, the achievement to eat the escape pods appeared to be impossible.
It seemed like that to me too at first, but it's actually not that hard. I got it on my third try.

It's good. If you like how GTA games controlled on the PS2, you shouldn't have any problems with this. Performance is good, the 80s Miami-y neon colors look really vibrant on the Vita screen and there's a TON to do.

The one problem I had with it and what stopped me from finishing it are some brutally difficult missions later on. They feel really unbalanced and rushed compared to the rest of the game, which in itself is a lot of fun. Definitely worth the purchase, if you can find the energy to power through some real bullshit missions. There are YouTube playthroughs obviously, but they're mechanically really hard to pull off. It's hard to explain, but yeah.
Thanks for the impressions. Will put it on the "to buy" list, loved Vice City and if VC Stories is good, then it's a must buy. :)

i love my vita, im typing from it now. the os is amazing to me.

anyone else here feel like this could be a full blown cellphone os?

Sony should think about making a Vita phone, a barebone smartphone like any other that comes with an attachable outer hull so it transforms into a normal Vita.

Hope you're reading this Sony.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Sony should think about making a Vita phone, a barebone smartphone like any other that comes with an attachable outer hull so it transforms into a normal Vita.

Hope you're reading this Sony.

Xperia Play failed super hard, I don't think people really want a gaming phone.(or that Sony will try it again)

Cudder

I haven't played my Vita in about a month. I miss the way it feels in my hands. :(

Thinking about picking up either Hot Shots or Virtua Tennis 4 because of the PSN sale. Which one should I go for?

Shai-Tan

Banned
4 AA batteries are not going to do much IMO, stuff like that has trouble charging a smart phone.

It should be able to charge maybe twice before the voltage on the batteries drops too low. The batteries will then have unused capacity unless lithium rechargeable were used over nimh. Using straight lithium ion battery packs is smaller and less heavy than using AA batteries but more expensive if you want to have enough of them to charge more times.

I haven't played my Vita in about a month. I miss the way it feels in my hands. :(

Thinking about picking up either Hot Shots or Virtua Tennis 4 because of the PSN sale. Which one should I go for?

You really can't go wrong with either one. I have been addicted to both as of late and sometimes have trouble deciding which to play before I go to bed. They are both very addictive and will have you going "one more round!"

VF4 has better graphics (native res) and is 60 FPS. Fun and quick games meaning you can pick it up whenever.

Hot Shots isn't native res but still looks REALLY good on dat OLED.

Both are loaded with content.

Newline

You really can't go wrong with either one. I have been addicted to both as of late and sometimes have trouble deciding which to play before I go to bed. They are both very addictive and will have you going "one more round!"

VF4 has better graphics (native res) and is 60 FPS. Fun and quick games meaning you can pick it up whenever.

Hot Shots isn't native res but still looks REALLY good on dat OLED.

Both are loaded with content.

You can go wrong with hotshots if you only like single player.

HotShots has to be one the most punishing / frustrating games on the vita :p

JoshHood

Thanks for the impressions. Will put it on the "to buy" list, loved Vice City and if VC Stories is good, then it's a must buy. :)

Worth saying that (in the UK at least) it's been on sale for half price a couple times in the past year, might be worth holding out for the Summer Sale just in case.

Famassu

Worth saying that (in the UK at least) it's been on sale for half price a couple times in the past year, might be worth holding out for the Summer Sale just in case.
Ah, okay, I was thinking I'd have to pay the 15€ since I've never seen it for anything less, even though I check it out now & then. If it's been on sale, it'll be again and I can wait. :)

Surprisingly (to me) the answer to that question is VT4. I found it more addictive than Hot Shots. Probably because I've played so many previous games in the Hot Shots series.

They're both great games, so you really can't go wrong either way, but VT4 is really good.

I really hope Sony announces some Vita exclusive stuff at Game Heaven or whatever. I understand the benefit of portability of games for some people, but for me, I bought a Vita because of the same reasons I bought a 3DS. There are certain kinds of games that don't show up on consoles that still show up on handhelds, but Sony has yet to show that to me for the Vita. I think PSO 2 on Vita will be awesome, but I doubt we'll get it over here.

AC Liberation looks cool, but as much as I enjoy my time with AC, Revelations and Brotherhood taught me that I like them every couple of years. I couldn't imagine playing 2 in the same month. Persona 4 Golden is great for people who haven't already played the title. I have, and I don't really feel like doing all that grinding all over again. It also doesn't help that it comes out, again this is just for me, during a month where a certain pocket monster franchise comes out(which I've been away from for years, so I'm kind of hyped about that)

With the shorter battery life of handhelds and the competition of smartphones, Sony has to know that plenty of people are playing their games at home. Sure, Jet Set would look great dat OLED, but you know what? I think it'll look even better on my tv with surround sound.

I think the EDF game is a GREAT idea for a Vita title. It's quick to learn, and it's very easy to take breaks from. Who knows if we'll get it though. I also don't think there's enough retail games that are coming out that take advantage of the front/back touch screen. That's unique. Give me something with that. I love the 3DS, but the ability to touch the screen with my fingers >>>>>>>>>> using that stupid stylus.

I really hope they announce some stuff that uses the Vita as a Vita and not just as a mini ps3. And I hate this idea that big retail games shouldn't do that. That it's reserved to downloadable titles or something.
sounds like you would be more interested in ios than vita.

Massa

I really hope Sony announces some Vita exclusive stuff at Game Heaven or whatever. I understand the benefit of portability of games for some people, but for me, I bought a Vita because of the same reasons I bought a 3DS. There are certain kinds of games that don't show up on consoles that still show up on handhelds, but Sony has yet to show that to me for the Vita. I think PSO 2 on Vita will be awesome, but I doubt we'll get it over here.

AC Liberation looks cool, but as much as I enjoy my time with AC, Revelations and Brotherhood taught me that I like them every couple of years. I couldn't imagine playing 2 in the same month. Persona 4 Golden is great for people who haven't already played the title. I have, and I don't really feel like doing all that grinding all over again. It also doesn't help that it comes out, again this is just for me, during a month where a certain pocket monster franchise comes out(which I've been away from for years, so I'm kind of hyped about that)

With the shorter battery life of handhelds and the competition of smartphones, Sony has to know that plenty of people are playing their games at home. Sure, Jet Set would look great dat OLED, but you know what? I think it'll look even better on my tv with surround sound.

I think the EDF game is a GREAT idea for a Vita title. It's quick to learn, and it's very easy to take breaks from. Who knows if we'll get it though. I also don't think there's enough retail games that are coming out that take advantage of the front/back touch screen. That's unique. Give me something with that. I love the 3DS, but the ability to touch the screen with my fingers >>>>>>>>>> using that stupid stylus.

I really hope they announce some stuff that uses the Vita as a Vita and not just as a mini ps3. And I hate this idea that big retail games shouldn't do that. That it's reserved to downloadable titles or something.

Here you go.

elty

Let's try this again before I return this...

Is there anyway to make it even less dim on the lowest brightness setting? It is too bright for me.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
That's like saying there won't be a PS4 or Xbox 3 because the Oyua is only selling 50k units.

that is a weird comparison.

Xperia Play was the a gaming phone that failed, just like N-Gage before it (was released when Nokia was the hottest cell phone manufacturer in the planet) so the concept of gaming phone proved as a complete failure (twice now) and I think it's pretty clear people do not want that(and Vita phone will be another gaming phone and will have the same fate).

JoshHood

Ah, okay, I was thinking I'd have to pay the 15€ since I've never seen it for anything less, even though I check it out now & then. If it's been on sale, it'll be again and I can wait. :)

Yeah I bought all three PSP GTAs for something just over a fiver each in various sales.

that is a weird comparison.

Xperia Play was the a gaming phone that failed, just like N-Gage before it (was released when Nokia was the hottest cell phone manufacturer in the planet) so the concept of gaming phone proved as a complete failure (twice now) and I think it's pretty clear people do not want that(and Vita phone will be another gaming phone and will have the same fate).
the xperia play was very half assed. All it was is a android phone with buttons. Mobile games for the most part suck and getting half assed ports of already existing android games isn't going to do anything. A vita phone has the potential to do really well if they put android on it and make sure its not that big and bulky. A lot of people do not like to carry around multiple devices and haven't bought a 3ds oe vita just because of that.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Pursuit Force + real analogue stick = good stuff.

I want to get RR to see what wonders a real analogue stick do to it, but I can't justify paying $15 for a PSP launch game that I bought before on UMD in 2005.

Takao

Banned
Let's try this again before I return this...

Is there anyway to make it even less dim on the lowest brightness setting? It is too bright for me.

Assuming you've held down the PS Button all the way and then moved the brightness bar to the left, then no.

RoylAsult

Finished blob, the achievement to eat the escape pods appeared to be impossible.

haha yes i remember that being a pain in the ass but once you figure out the correct way to do it, its rather simple. I still need to earn gold all levels and then ill 100% the game. Wish their was a platinum

elty

Assuming you've held down the PS Button all the way and then moved the brightness bar to the left, then no.

At minimum is still very bright. Much brighter than 3DS.

Guess this is going back. Kind of weird though since I play Gravity Rush demo at the store before buying this and that was fine.

brentech

haha yes i remember that being a pain in the ass but once you figure out the correct way to do it, its rather simple. I still need to earn gold all levels and then ill 100% the game. Wish their was a platinum
Anyone know about how my how much game time you get from MBA?

Only reason I haven't bought it at this point already is that I already have 7 games that I havent completed for vita (not counting any minis).
Not to mention many ps3 games due to the 12 free ps+ and some backlog.

Basically was just figuring I'd buy MBA on sale, but curious how long that is.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
ok this is kinda funny.

Super Stardust Portable PSP $9.99
Super Stardust Delta Vita $9.99 (has twin sticks controls,look almost as good as Stardust on PS3 ,has all modes from Super Stardust HD and Super Stardust portable)

seriously why Super Stardust Portable cost as much as Delta?

StuBurns

Banned
I would say I've spent about three, four hours to beat it. There's reason to go back and replay levels if that sort of thing interests you.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
@brentech

here is something about FIFA 13 (since you were worried about it before)
EA SPORTS FIFA Soccer 13 on PS Vita gives you the same physics-based, data driven technology that powers FIFA gameplay on PlayStation®3. Take part in eight different game modes, including 11 vs. 11, Tournament Mode with over 50 real-world competitions, a full in-depth Career Mode, and head-to-head online. Innovations that utilize a rear touch pad and touchscreen create an intelligent and unique gameplay experience. Rear touch pad shooting delivers pin-point accuracy and removes the element of “hit and hope” from shooting and touchscreen passing opens up the field of play for more creative and precision passing.

http://us.playstation.com/psvita/games-and-media/psv-ea-sports-fifa-soccer-13.html

that sound promising for Vita port (guess that confirm the Impact Engine at least).

Takao

Banned

Guess this is going back. Kind of weird though since I play Gravity Rush demo at the store before buying this and that was fine.

Are you sure your thing looks like this:

AyVnTvCCYAA-9xT.jpg

When I do that it's pretty dim to me.

JoshHood

This is FIFA's second shot on Vita, and it still lacks any Cross Play functionality.

Which is weird, because just before Vita launch, I'm sure they said they were sorry about cross-play (or at least saves) not being in FIFA Football and that they would be in the next game.

(could be totally making that up, but I'm sure I remember something like that)

brentech

here is something about FIFA 13 (since you were worried about it before)
@brentech

EA SPORTS FIFA Soccer 13 on PS Vita gives you the same physics-based, data driven technology that powers FIFA gameplay on PlayStation®3. Take part in eight different game modes, including 11 vs. 11, Tournament Mode with over 50 real-world competitions, a full in-depth Career Mode, and head-to-head online. Innovations that utilize a rear touch pad and touchscreen create an intelligent and unique gameplay experience. Rear touch pad shooting delivers pin-point accuracy and removes the element of “hit and hope” from shooting and touchscreen passing opens up the field of play for more creative and precision passing.
http://us.playstation.com/psvita/games-and-media/psv-ea-sports-fifa-soccer-13.html

that sound promising for Vita port (guess that confirm the Impact Engine at least).

Sweet, thanks man. Sounds like they brought it up to speed. Was hoping they'd do so. Sounds great.

patsu

I am not a sports game fan. I like VT4. Bought it with the PS+ discount. It's easy to get into, and deep enough. At first, I wasn't sure if they could make the game interesting or challenging with just 2 sticks. ^_^ Looks fantastic too.

I haven't played HSG enough to comment. Lost the cartridge just 2 days after I bought it. >_<

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'd say the same thing. My 3DS has always seemed dark, even on the highest brightness settings, and I constantly check my 3DS' brightness, thinking that the brightness must have been turned down. The Vita's screen, however, is always bright. I greatly prefer it, but when I'm playing the system at night, I've always wished I could turn down the brightness even more.

patsu

Is there anyway to make it even less dim on the lowest brightness setting?

It is too bright for me.

That's a surprise. Your cellphones should be brighter because they need to be usable under direct sunlight.

What games were you playing ? The brightness will also depend on the game art. If you are playing in a completely dark room like me and find the screen too glaring, you can choose a darker game to play. I'm grinding VC2 now, that game is ok for me in a dark room. Your mileage will vary. You can also choose darker wallpapers to fill your home screens.

EDIT: Ah, comparing to 3DS's parallax 3D screen... It's darker probably because of that additional parallax barrier layer ? It's a limitation that will be resolved in future 3D screens.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Wow, ok. I guess I can't relate because I'm a bright whore. (Or something like that.) For me, the brighter, the better.
I'm the same way, but when I'm playing the Vita on the lowest setting in complete darkness and turn away from the screen, I can't see anything.

elty

That's a surprise. Your cellphones should be brighter because they need to be usable under direct sunlight.

What games were you playing ? The brightness will also depend on the game art. If you are playing in a completely dark room like me and find the screen too glaring, you can choose a darker game to play. I'm grinding VC2 now, that game is ok for me in a dark room. Your mileage will vary. You can also choose darker wallpapers to fill your home screens.

EDIT: Ah, comparing to 3DS's parallax 3D screen... It's darker probably because of that additional parallax barrier layer ? It's a limitation that will be resolved in future 3D screens.

I don't have any games yet, just play around the system settings and browser as such. I am playing in a normally lit room, so not in complete dark. I guess I will see if any of my PS3 game supports remote play and try something there.

Let's just say, at maximum my cell phone is brighter/about the same as Vita at maximum. However my cell phone at minimum is dimmer than the Vita at minimum. Plus for cell phone I can use Screen Filter (an app for Android) than further lower the brightness if needed.

Before the Vita, the only gadget that I have a problem with is the LG WP7 phone. According to review at minimum brightness of that phone is 130.4 nits.

Edit: Does anyone know if a privacy/matte screen can lower brightness?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Playing Vita in a dark room kinda sucks because of that OLED - had the same issue on my Galaxy S2 when the display light even on its lowest setting where to bright lol. But otherwise the screen is marvelous... purchase was justified for playing my PSP games on it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom