• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takao

Banned
0GThF.gif

:(

Benedict

VT4 on Vita is like Soul Calibur for DC.
A excellent game and show-off on what the system is capable off.

Too bad it's not a system seller or not advertised properly

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I don't like the games, but having them on Vita would do a lot for the platform in Japan, and right now it needs it.

Not to be a dick - but let it go, there wont be a MH in the near future :)
I would put my money on GE 2 for Vita and even if MH was on Vita - a late port of a 3DS version wouldnt be the same as with the last Gen where you had to own a PSP for portable MH action.

I mean they are already promoting MH4.

Edit:

Beaten like Sansa :-/

SteveWD40

Thing is, at this rate western 3DS owners won't get MH till 2014, rumour is they will skip localizing 3G and go straight for 4, which, knowing Capcom will take a year after Japanese release in 2013...

Right now, for us in the West, the Vita has the best MH portable version in Freedom Unite.

patsu

I don't have any games yet, just play around the system settings and browser as such. I am playing in a normally lit room, so not in complete dark. I guess I will see if any of my PS3 game supports remote play and try something there.

Using the browser to surf your preferred websites should work too. If you find the screen too bright during normally lit room, then the screen would most certainly be too bright for you in a dark room.

Let's just say, at maximum my cell phone is brighter/about the same as Vita at maximum. However my cell phone at minimum is dimmer than the Vita at minimum. Plus for cell phone I can use Screen Filter (an app for Android) than further lower the brightness if needed.

Before the Vita, the only gadget that I have a problem with is the LG WP7 phone. According to review at minimum brightness of that phone is 130.4 nits.

Edit: Does anyone know if a privacy/matte screen can lower brightness?

That's true. At minimum brightness, all my cellphones are considerably darker than the Vita. I don't necessarily think it's a OLED thing. It may be OS/firmware programming.

snap0212

My Vita memory card is pretty much filled up now and I'm starting to really dislike the way Sony handles save games for Vita games. There's no consitency to it (does my game save to the card or not?), there's seemingly no way to just backup the save games? Is there any hack out there that allows me to get the save games (and only the save games) off the device so I can put them on the device again at a later time?

patsu

I don't like the games, but having them on Vita would do a lot for the platform in Japan, and right now it needs it.

At the end of the day, if Sony think that MH is absolutely what they need, they will find some way to make it happen. But as long as they think they have alternatives, they will save the money for other investments.

I should give MH for PSP a try to see what the hoopla is. ^_^

Oppo

My Vita memory card is pretty much filled up now and I'm starting to really dislike the way Sony handles save games for Vita games. There's no consitency to it (does my game save to the card or not?), there's seemingly no way to just backup the save games? Is there any hack out there that allows me to get the save games (and only the save games) off the device so I can put them on the device again at a later time?

Just run the regular backup with the content manager. Saves are "inside" the games.

Takao

Banned
At the end of the day, if Sony think that MH is absolutely what they need, they will find some way to make it happen. But as long as they think they have alternatives, they will save the money for other investments.

Ultimately though, if there isn't a MH on Vita by the time MH4 launches then there's no point in one even existing on the device. It will have been so well established on 3DS that a considerably better looking and controlling one won't do much of anything.

For what it's worth I think buying MH exclusivity would've been a better idea than funding failures like Star Hawk.

patsu

Nope ! You can only copy the entire game + its saves, or not at all. The PC/Mac/PS3 will ask if you want to overwrite the existing copy if you try to copy the same thing over.

Even for cartridges, it's safer to just backup all the game bubbles in case the file system got corrupted, you lose the cartridge or the Vita.

EDIT:
Hm, yeah. I know that. Though I remember the backup taking a very long time the last time I did it.

I find that the copy is faster on a PC/Mac. Let me know if it's true for you too.

SteveWD40

They are hard to get into, but once you do it's like a small MMO with hugely addictive game-play, people put hundreds of hours into them which is rare in the mobile space.

Sadly they have never sold as well in the west and Capcom don't see it as a necessary market, if the consoles were region free and they just added language support we could import but that's not an option either...

Takao

Banned
They are hard to get into, but once you do it's like a small MMO with hugely addictive game-play, people put hundreds of hours into them which is rare in the mobile space.

Sadly they have never sold as well in the west and Capcom don't see it as a necessary market, if the consoles were region free and they just added language support we could import but that's not an option either...

I wouldn't say they never sold well in the west. Each successive iteration on PSP sold more than the last, and Tri sold very well on Wii. It's just a case of Capcom's expectations being no where near reality.

wow not being native res is really hurting uncharted. those birds in the sky look like blurry pixels. way below ps1 graphics i think. also some of the vegetation looks freaking terrible.

patsu

Ultimately though, if there isn't a MH on Vita by the time MH4 launches then there's no point in one even existing on the device. It will have been so well established on 3DS that a considerably better looking and controlling one won't do much of anything.

I doubt letting the game establish on 3DS now will stop it from going multi-platform in the future. Capcom will have to address the entire mobile market, including iOS/Android. They will bring their best work because it will become more and more competitive there.

For what it's worth I think buying MH exclusivity would've been a better idea than funding failures like Star Hawk.

On hindsight and a case-by-case matter, it may be true. But with a third party exclusive, it's always someone else's work, and Sony will have to depend on them forever. If it's an IP they own, they have an opportunity to groom their teams, and strengthen the IP. It boils down to how much money Capcom is asking for for keeping it exclusive.

IMHO, the bigger mistake is letting Demon's Souls go because that one should be cheap.

Even at late stage, I don't understand how their managers could not see DS's potential when they tested it. According to FROM, people played the game and thought it was simply not finished. @_@

EDIT: The other thing is *if* Sony wants to build up its studio capability, they will need to invest big time into game design in addition to day-to-day running of studios. Sony so far invested heavily in technologies and game workflows. But I think they may need more R&D in game designs.

SteveWD40

I wouldn't say they never sold well in the west. Each successive iteration on PSP sold more than the last, and Tri sold very well on Wii. It's just a case of Capcom's expectations being no where near reality.

I didn't, I said "as well", as you are correct in that Capcom seemed to think they should have sold close to Japan levels, which was never realistic.

Ein Bear

wow not being native res is really hurting uncharted. those birds in the sky look like blurry pixels. way below ps1 graphics i think. also some of the vegetation looks freaking terrible.

Oh come on.

Native res would have been nice, obviously, but the game still looks great.

cyborg009

Banned

Didn't Starhawk come out during Max Payne 3 and diablo 3 kinda hard be successful between those two games.

Also wasn't it mention multiple times that we would see MHP3rdG

Why does capcom hate vita?

Where is resident evil revelations?

Why isn't ex troopers on vita? Why why why why why the fuk is that on 3ds/ps3 and not ps3/vita with cross play and transferring not? Why doesn't it atleast om vita?

Someone said something about a theoretical dragons dogma port ? Where is that at?

Why launch street fighter x tekken so late after the console port? Does it even have any new features ?

Someone said we were getting a port of monster hunter portable 3rd HD. Where is it?

I really can't stand capcom.

Etzer

Why isn't ex troopers on vita? Why why why why why the fuk is that on 3ds/ps3 and not ps3/vita with cross play and transferring not? Why doesn't it atleast om vita?

Someone said something about a theoretical dragons dogma port ? Where is that at?

Why launch street fighter x tekken so late after the console port? Does it even have any new features ?

Someone said we were getting a port of monster hunter portable 3rd HD. Where is it?

1. On 3DS?
2. Because it looks like it was Megaman Legends 3 at some point. And that was already 3DS.
Also this:
Because the 3DS is way more popular.

Takao

Banned
I doubt letting the game establish on 3DS now will stop it from going multi-platform in the future. Capcom will have to address the entire mobile market, including iOS/Android. They will bring their best work because it will become more and more competitive there.

There are mobile based Monster Hunter games, and they're all very different from what you'd get on PSP, or 3DS. I expect that to continue lest Capcom wants to ruin selling 4 million units at $70.

On hindsight and a case-by-case matter, it may be true. But with a third party exclusive, it's always someone else's work, and Sony will have to depend on them forever. If it's an IP they own, they have an opportunity to groom their teams, and strengthen the IP. It boils down to how much money Capcom is asking for for keeping it exclusive.

This is true but sometimes you have to make a choice. Do you spend $30+ million on a new IP in a crowded genre for a platform that has tonnes of support, or do you drop a bit more to secure a series that would bring your userbase for a brand new platform to huge levels?

IMHO, the bigger mistake is letting Demon's Souls go because that one should be cheap.

Even at late stage, I don't understand how their managers could not see DS's potential when they tested it. According to FROM, people played the game and thought it was simply not finished. @_@

There is nothing stopping a Demon's Souls 2 from existing. SCE owns the IP, and it's just a question of whether or not SCEJ can find a suitable developer, or get From interested in making a sequel.

EDIT: The other thing is *if* Sony wants to build up its studio capability, they will need to invest big time into game design in addition to day-to-day running of studios. Sony so far invested heavily in technologies and game workflows. But I think they may need more R&D in game designs.

I don't know what you're talking about. Vita's success and failure all lies within Japan, a region which SCE has invested very little in.

Also wasn't it mention multiple times that we would see MHP3rdG

Other than a Hong Kong magazine saying MHP3rd G was on the way for PSP, no. Let me add, this is the same magazine that said Dragon Quest IX was on its way to PSP at one point as well.

StuBurns

Banned
They don't.
On 3DS.
Because the 3DS is way more popular.
Did they? It barely runs on PS360, never going to happen.
Because they just launched UMvsC3. It will include all DLC for normal price.
On PS3, Capcom are not required to support random rumours.
I'm sure that disappoints them.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Totobeni said:
seriously why Super Stardust Portable cost as much as Delta?
To be fair SS:p works with twinstick controls on Vita too. Same price is still a bit hard to justify though, I agree.

Takao

Banned
1. On 3DS?
2. Because it looks like it was Megaman Legends 3 at some point. And that was already 3DS.
Also this:

This doesn't really explain why it's on PS3, lol. I think EX Troopers being on PS3 is a bad idea. PS3 has a bigger userbase, and an already established Lost Planet fanbase so they're just doing a disservice to the 3DS SKU by putting out a PS3 version.

On PS3, Capcom are not required to support random rumours.

There were a series of pre-TGS rumors from a source. Only 2 of those never happened. One was a game that has likely been canceled (Bayonetta 2) and the other is MHP3rd HD for Vita.

StuBurns

Banned
There were a series of pre-TGS rumors from a source. Only 2 of those never happened. One was a game that has likely been canceled (Bayonetta 2) and the other is MHP3rd HD for Vita.
There is no evidence Bayo 2 ever existed, Mikami has clearly not been working on it.

StuBurns

Banned
Why would Mikami ever work on a Bayonetta game? That's Kamiya's game.
Well, that was just me mistaking the two.

What I meant to say was, there's no evidence Bayo 2 ever existed, and now we know Kamiya has been working on P-100, it makes it far less likely there ever was a sequel to Bayonetta.

Takao

Banned
Well, that was just me mistaking the two.

What I meant to say was, there's no evidence Bayo 2 ever existed, and now we know Kamiya has been working on P-100, it makes it far less likely there ever was a sequel to Bayonetta.

Do you believe P-100 has been in development for 3 years?

A question for people who use a screen protector:

Which is better the Hori screen protectors (they cover more and are cheaper) or the Sony official screen protectors (two-pack)? Both seem to get good reviews, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience they want to share?

StuBurns

Banned
Do you believe P-100 has been in development for less than a year?

Bayo came out October '09 in Japan, notably less than three years from the reveal of P-100, yes, I think it's very possible that P-100 more or less started after Bayo.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Sony should think about making a Vita phone, a barebone smartphone like any other that comes with an attachable outer hull so it transforms into a normal Vita.

Hope you're reading this Sony.

If a vita with the ability to send/receive texts/calls I would have bought one instead of my 4s that I sold for my galaxy note.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member

Which is better the Hori screen protectors (they cover more and are cheaper) or the Sony official screen protectors (two-pack)? Both seem to get good reviews, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience they want to share?

You'll probably be fine with whichever one you choose. I've been using the official Sony one since launch and have had no issues. Application went on without a hitch and the protector is so clear that I forget that I even have it on there.

branny

Did they? It barely runs on PS360, never going to happen.
Though I love the game, this statement is so true. They probably could pare it down, but there also simply aren't enough buttons to make it work on the Vita in its current state (L3 for running, needs two sets of shoulder buttons, etc.). No amount of touchscreen or rearscreen functionality would properly substitute.

Do you believe P-100 has been in development for less than a year?
Don't forget to factor in how much time Kamiya spends tweeting.

Grinchy

Banned

I have only used the official one but I did not like it. I still have one of them leftover from the 2-pack though. It went on perfectly, so that's a plus. However, I found it had a very slightly bluish tint. Also, the touchscreen felt more resistant. It wasn't as slick and nice as it is naked. I'm back to using no protector.

brentech

Have ripped through Motorstorm RC trophies since getting the Wall Brawl.

Have done all but getting the total time under 40min. Need to scratch another 1min2sec off.

Yaska

Got my Vita back from maintenance. They claimed they did nothing, but my vita works perfectly now, so I guess I'm very happy. Picked up MGS HD for it, and now enjoying Gravity Rush again.

I just got an email from amazon.com with a $50 off code for a brand new vita system. Anyone want this? I already have a vita. $200 for a system is a great deal. Code expires July 27.

I can't send you a PM, hoss, and I don't know if you'll see this. But if so... PM me, I'd love to get that code if it's still available.

Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom