• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I have a strict screening process that everyone needs to go through before they can become my friend, but I guess I'll let it slide.

I'm domify; I'll add you Machado.

Sol1dus

Hey guys, I started playing Crimsom Gem Saga last night, and its really good. For starters, its a gorgeous game with a hand-drawn artstyle. The world and character art is really nice. I got really burnt out with P3P and thought I wouldn't like the combat but it turned out to be pretty rewarding.

I'll post some pictures of it later, but if anyone's on the fence about it, I recommend you get it before the Atlus sale is over. ($7.50)

Bittercup

In that case, it's pity that websites like Amazon don't list the supported languages. For example, on Virtua Tennis 4 Amazon.de mentions under sprache: Deutsch, Deutsch, Deutsch, Deutsch.

It's too big a risk to order and end up not having english though. So i will restrict my purchases to uk shops in future. Amazon.de has some surprisingly cheap deals on Vita games at times though.

Thanks for the feedback.
They sometimes do. I guess this is just a place holder because amazon.de doesn't know either. At least there's no reason to put German voice overs 4 times in the game :D

"onlinegamesdatenbank" is nice to get infos what languages a game supports. Unfortunately it's often not complete and many games are missing. It's just a collection of user entries.
http://translate.google.com/transla...k.de/index.php?section=titleslist&show=number

I've checked amazon, I don't think they offer that service. Maybe I'm wrong tho.

EDIT: I see bestbuy has that option. Thank you. great thread, great console, great games, great friends.

If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll be glad to do it for you and arrange payment via paypal.

Mileena

Banned
The gyro in mutant blobs doesn't even work. This is why I hate this stupid motion control bullshit
Bprqx.gif

zroid

Banned
We've talked about this here before, but gyro can be excellent if done well.

Example of great gyro: Gravity Rush, Ocarina of Time 3D
Example of bad gyro: Super Stardust Delta

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The gyro in mutant blobs doesn't even work. This is why I hate this stupid motion control bullshit
Bprqx.gif

It works perfectly, actually, unless your system has a problem.

Mileena

Banned
I have to move my Vita completely to one side (so that I can't even see the screen anymore) for it to move then it just keeps falling in those holes. I don't understand how this is supposed to work. I was playing the Vita laying on my bed in my hands normally.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I have to move my Vita completely to one side (so that I can't even see the screen anymore) for it to move then it just keeps falling in those holes. I don't understand how this is supposed to work. I was playing the Vita laying on my bed in my hands normally.
Sit up and face down at the system. It tells you to have it parallel to the floor.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
If it's any consolation, I've been working on the first pinball stage for the past fifteen minutes since you made your first post and even with the Vita parallel to the floor, I can't finish it.

Cudder

Picked up Hot Shots from PSN last night and have been playing it a lot today. It's a good game, but it's hard as fuck to get those crowns. (Need to unlock easy mode.)

Kind of wish I went with Virtua Tennis lol. :(

Mileena

Banned
VT4 is definitely the much better game if you ask me. I played the HSG demo once and knew it wasn't for me. I'm on my third world tour in VT4 though ^_^

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
VT4 is definitely the much better game if you ask me. I played the HSG demo once and knew it wasn't for me. I'm on my third world tour in VT4 though ^_^
I'm on my second world tour on experienced and it's so difficult. I blazed through the novice difficulty, but I need a 1.5 difficulty level. :(

The thing I don't like about VT4 (compared to HSG) is that I feel no sense of control whatsoever.

I just mash X because every time I press square or circle, the opponent just spikes it right past me.

Mash X to win.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
The thing I don't like about VT4 (compared to HSG) is that I feel no sense of control whatsoever.

I just mash X because every time I press square or circle, the opponent just spikes it right past me.

Mash X to win.
Yeah, I don't really use square or circle, and I don't like when the game slows down for a shot. I prefer Hot Shots Tennis control-wise.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Because it will make him learn to play it well instead of mashing X to win.

Unlike other genres of games when it's better to play in hard, in sport games you should(imo) learn how to play to in easy then your skills will get better as you go upward in the harder difficulties, going on hard when you don't know the tricks and skills will makes you get frustrated and nothing else. (same with new comers to fighting games I guess).

matmanx1

I've been on a racing kick lately and since I just finished the single player career mode in Wipeout 2048 I needed another racer on the Vita. I thought about Ridge Racer but ultimately made the decision to go with Gran Turismo PSP. It's $19.99 on the PSN and even though it's paired down compared to GT5 I think it works very well as a portable racing experience.

One thing I was not expecting was just how nice the game looks on the Vita. You won't mistake it for a native Vita title but I think Polyphony Digital did a great job considering the PSP hardware is sub PS2 level. The cars are nicely modeled and the framerate is a steady 60 and there's alot of cars and tracks available. I am quite impressed and so was Eurogamer http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-gt-psp-60fps-video-blog-entry when they blogged about it back around the time of it's launch.

f0rk

I've been on a racing kick lately and since I just finished the single player career mode in Wipeout 2048 I needed another racer on the Vita. I thought about Ridge Racer but ultimately made the decision to go with Gran Turismo PSP. It's $19.99 on the PSN and even though it's paired down compared to GT5 I think it works very well as a portable racing experience.

One thing I was not expecting was just how nice the game looks on the Vita. You won't mistake it for a native Vita title but I think Polyphony Digital did a great job considering the PSP hardware is sub PS2 level. The cars are nicely modeled and the framerate is a steady 60 and there's alot of cars and tracks available. I am quite impressed and so was Eurogamer http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-gt-psp-60fps-video-blog-entry when they blogged about it back around the time of it's launch.

Yeah it is pretty good. I hope they are working on GT Vita.

Mash X to win.

In VT4, what I do is use square when I need to regain a good position or to get some breathing room. Depending on the court surface, your opponent will have trouble returning a slice at lightning speed giving you time to get your bearings. Triangle is best for when they are close to the net. The X button is your main button, you will most likely only be using the other buttons under certain circumstances. Also, try holding down the button to increase the power of your returns. You need to be the one controlling the momentum of the match.

waypoetic

Banned

I can't stand playing Gran Turismo on either the PSP or the PSV - i can't adjust how much i want to break, it's ON or it's OFF.

Mileena

Banned
and be sure you use drop shots and lob shots appropriately

drop shot when they're way back and lob when they're hugging the net

In VT4, what I do is use square when I need to regain a good position or to get some breathing room. Depending on the court surface, your opponent will have trouble returning a slice at lightning speed giving you time to get your bearings. Triangle is best for when they are close to the net. The X button is your main button, you will most likely only be using the other buttons under certain circumstances. Also, try holding down the button to increase the power of your returns. You need to be the one controlling the momentum of the match.

and be sure you use drop shots and lob shots appropriately

drop shot when they're way back and lob when they're hugging the net
Thanks for the tips! I suspected that the game has a hidden depth, and hopefully I'll be able to put these to good use once/if the game becomes difficult enough to necessitate strategic play.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
In the early matches, pushing down the analog stick and hitting triangle to hit the ball towards the net, and then smashing the ball into the distance works really well too.

I just did an online match in World Tour mode with a guy whose serves kept coming up right after the baseline, and I expected them to be faults so didn't go at them, only to lose points. How do I serve like that?

Mileena

Banned
oh man the cheese servers

aim the serve and position yourself properly to do it. I don't do it because it's cheesy points but I know TheGreatDave used that as his only way to score points against me
uHbZ8.gif

Anyone remember Virtua Tennis for GBA? Game was so fun, but had a major serve exploit.

All of Sega's GBA ports were interesting. Virtua Tennis, Jet Grind Radio, ChuChu Rocket, Super Monkey Ball, Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5...all preserved the core mechanics and presentation styles of the original games, which was impressive at the time.

qcf x2

Virtua Tennis 4: How do I get the face mapping to actually work? There's got to be a way to make it not look so stupid, lol.
the in-game model, not my FACE

P.S. add me for some novice tennis, my PSN name is: usvistar

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Virtua Tennis 4: How do I get the face mapping to actually work? There's got to be a way to make it not look so stupid, lol.
the in-game model, not my FACE

P.S. add me for some novice tennis, my PSN name is: usvistar
I used a luchador mask as my face for a reason.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
People who are into Tennis games and want different and more arcadey tennis experience, go get Hot Shot Tennis (it's however very overpriced on the us Vita store).

Takao

Banned
People who are into Tennis games and want different and more arcadey tennis experience, go get Hot Shot Tennis (it's however very overpriced on the us Vita store).

I wouldn't say $20 is very over priced.

Then again, that was the launch price in 2010, lol.

Koroviev

From the BST thread:

Playstation Vita w/ 32 GB card, Unit 13, dock, case - $280

Perfect condition PS Vita with 32 GB card, Unit 13 (retail with box; code used), official dock and carrying pouch, and all cables. Original system box not included. Screen is scratch-free. Delicately used. Bundle retails for $350-400 (32 GB card is $99 alone). $280 OBO.

5L65K55H53K63G73M8c7kb7efa5d8cb5817bd.jpg

patsu

Bprqx.gif

Does it work better if you reboot ?
It should work fine. I don't remember any gyro problem in that game. I got stuck in a bounce upwards under water level, but that one doesn't use gyro. More a timing thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom