• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsu

I guess I can't speak for the touch implementation in anything outside of what was shown in the demo -- which amounted to tediously swiping the screen. I don't have any problems with touch mechanics, but they tend to annoy me when shoehorned into gameplay that's working fine without them. If a game is entirely designed around a touchscreen, I generally am cool with it.

Yes, I feel that the quick swipes don't really add to the gameplay. Some of the touch puzzles are more meaningful (e.g., completing a jigsaw puzzles with touch control). Doing the puzzle with dual sticks would be unwieldy.

I'm very glad to hear that, but the weird thing is I'm not really sure that was my concern. The "claustrophobia" was more a result of never really feeling that I was able to see this world as I wanted to. When playing the PS3 Uncharteds, there was always a sense of awe, like I'm being enveloped by the environment.

While playing the UGA demo, I think the best analogy I can come up with is being trapped in a closet, peering past the slightly ajar door into the game world. It's like being forced to squint to see where I'm supposed to go, or what I'm supposed to do, versus looking out at the game before me.

I just don't know that holding this great, big world of Uncharted between the palms of my hands is the way I want to play this game.

Then again, who knows, maybe this is in fact all just a result of the cramped demo sections, and I'm misinterpreting my own feedback. It's really hard to say.

That was my concern initially. I went ahead and got U:GA during a B2G1 promo. When I played in short sessions, I didn't really get into the game. But when I played it over an extended period in my kid's bedroom, I forgot about the screen size. I was drawn into the game because of the enemies, puzzles, and other side quests in the game (e.g., Photo op).

EDIT:
Yeah, when you pull up the level selection screen, look for the blob icon. That's the bonus level.

Cool ! I missed that level.

unsung0

Neo Member
I randomly went thru the last few pages and added some of you as friends. Anyone else feel free to add me:

unsung0

currently playing Unit 13, VT4, HSG, Rayman

So I just picked up Ridge Racer, but have yet to open it yet.

Been reading a lot on it and I'm having a really hard time deciding whether to keep it or not.

Can someone tell me if the Gold Pass is still bundled with the game?

Etzer

Got Virtua Tennis the day it went on sale. Definitely worth the $20! It's becoming my most played Vita game

I randomly went thru the last few pages and added some of you as friends. Anyone else feel free to add me:

unsung0

currently playing Unit 13, VT4, HSG, Rayman

Same here. Lookin' for some more Vita friends! :)
PSN ID: ImNotSteven

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Leona Lewis said:
Thanks for the tips! I suspected that the game has a hidden depth, and hopefully I'll be able to put these to good use once/if the game becomes difficult enough to necessitate strategic play.
AI on max difficulty can be quite challenging, even when you get good at the game. Online play is highly strategic as well (against decent opponents), the game actually has a lot of depth - the variety of different playstyles possible(playing them effectively that is) is far better then any tennis game I've played to date.

One thing the game explains very poorly and is by far the most important thing to good-play, is timing&positioning when you start to hit the ball.
The game's "assist" that can't be turned off will always make sure you get to the ball and hit it if you just spam the button - but any shot that is started in wrong-position and wrong-timing will be either slow, mishits, or both.
The worst thing about this is that it's hard to even tell the difference when you first start - the assist will auto-drive your player for several seconds for certain shots. On flipside when you do learn how to do shots properly - it can be very frustrating to accidentally press the button early - and then you watch helplessly for 5+ seconds how your player walks up to the ball, takes a SLOW swing - and completely botches the shot, and there is Nothing you can do about it once you pressed the button.

Nonetheless it's the best video-game tennis to date IMO, and it really lends itself great to portable gaming, I doubt I'd have ever got a platinum for this if I played it on stationary machine.

elty

I found a privacy filter so I put it on. It does reduce the brightness of the screen by a bit but still not enough, plus it blur the screen a lot.

Looks like this has to go back since I cannot play it for more than 30 minutes before getting a headache. Such a shame for the limited brightness range because I like the system a lot otherwose.

Kazerei

Banned
I picked up Rayman Origins earlier today and just played through the first world. It's so fucking good. Beautiful hand-drawn graphics, groovy music, solid gameplay, and what seems to be a large amount of content. I'm highly satisfied with this purchase.

OmegaZero

Wow, the new costume and Enchancements basically break Ninja Gaiden's Master Ninja Mode.

I'm OHKOing virtually every enemy with the Flying Swallow, and just killed the chapter 3 boss with three 360T attacks (using the DC&TF).

DR2K

Banned
Wow, the new costume and Enchancements basically break Ninja Gaiden's Master Ninja Mode.

I'm OHKOing virtually every enemy with the Flying Swallow, and just killed the chapter 3 boss with three 360T attacks (using the DC&TF).

You sound like you're enjoying it though.

The 30fps killed it for me. It felt soo slow. Returned it. I've already beaten every other version of NG1 so no big loss. It's a great game and looks good on the Vita.

Lucent

I found a privacy filter so I put it on. It does reduce the brightness of the screen by a bit but still not enough, plus it blur the screen a lot.

Looks like this has to go back since I cannot play it for more than 30 minutes before getting a headache. Such a shame for the limited brightness range because I like the system a lot otherwose.

Maybe you could try wear'n sunglasses if you really wanna keep it? I guess your eyes are really sensitive because it doesn't bother me much even on highest. But I reduce it if I'm playing in the dark.

EDIT: Also one of my friends suggest trying to get some window tint for it if you wanna go that far. I've never done that before so I dunno.

Fabrikator

Neo Member
If you go to any window tint shop, they have film in different percentages, a piece of film to fit the vita screen wouldnt cost much at all, hell they might even give it to you free.

the higher the percentage rating is the amount of light transference so the lower the number the darker it is.

worth a shot.

The 30fps killed it for me. It felt soo slow. Returned it. I've already beaten every other version of NG1 so no big loss. It's a great game and looks good on the Vita.

Wish there was a demo so I can try it and see how it feels. Been wanting to grab NG but I'm worried it may feel too slow for me too.

Jopie

People who are into Tennis games and want different and more arcadey tennis experience, go get Hot Shot Tennis (it's however very overpriced on the us Vita store).

I have been on trying to decide between vt4 and hot shots for over a week now. Is there a consensus to which one is the better of the two?

Lucent

If you go to any window tint shop, they have film in different percentages, a piece of film to fit the vita screen wouldnt cost much at all, hell they might even give it to you free.

the higher the percentage rating is the amount of light transference so the lower the number the darker it is.

worth a shot.

This is my friend, Fab. He just got into GAF and should have a Vita sooner or later.

The Vita Club grows. =o

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Anyone know of a good case for DS/3DS and Vita cartridges? I keep the boxes, but I need something for putting in my backpack. And not something that also holds a system. Just the games.

OmegaZero

Yeah, it's fun despite 30fps.

It helps that I started really getting into it after WipEout.

Fabrikator

Neo Member
This is my friend, Fab. He just got into GAF and should have a Vita sooner or later.

The Vita Club grows. =o

Hai Guise. lol

I should have a Vita tomorrow actually. Gonna take advantage of that $50 gift certificate deal at Futureshop. Been wanting one for quite a while, but the lack of multiplayer games didnt make it much of a priority, although lately there have been a number of awesome SP games I cant pass up on.

Anyone know of a good case for DS/3DS and Vita cartridges? I keep the boxes, but I need something for putting in my backpack. And not something that also holds a system. Just the games.

For vita, I purchased this in Feb. Comes with a case, screen protectors cleaning cloth and this:

79dc6159.jpg

(my case with my Vita games, holds 21 games and a few slots for memory cards, too)

I also have this 3DS case:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004K6LQAS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

a3e0780e.jpg

300034b6.jpg

f092f027.jpg

Holds 24 games

I highly recommend both cases :)

I'm very glad to hear that, but the weird thing is I'm not really sure that was my concern. The "claustrophobia" was more a result of never really feeling that I was able to see this world as I wanted to. When playing the PS3 Uncharteds, there was always a sense of awe, like I'm being enveloped by the environment.

While playing the UGA demo, I think the best analogy I can come up with is being trapped in a closet, peering past the slightly ajar door into the game world. It's like being forced to squint to see where I'm supposed to go, or what I'm supposed to do, versus looking out at the space before me.

I just don't know that holding this great, big world of Uncharted between the palms of my hands is the way I want to play this game.

Then again, who knows, maybe this is in fact all just a result of the cramped demo sections, and I'm misinterpreting my own feedback. It's really hard to say.
I was also skeptical about Golden Abyss and found the lackluster demo to be pretty uninspiring, so I passed on the game at launch, figuring I'd just get it on sale sometime. Well, picked it up last weekend during the Best Buy B2G1 deal and holy crap it is a fantastic game. I popped it in my Vita out of curiosity and couldn't put it down. It definitely has its issues (the script is not up to the standard set by Naughty Dog, some of the touch screen stuff is stupid and unnecessary - though not horribly so) but overall I am very impressed with how well Bend managed to translate the Uncharted experience to the Vita.

I was actually feeling a little burned out on the series after Drake's Deception last fall, but playing GA makes me want to go back and replay all of the PS3 games right now. Using the gyroscope to tweak your aiming in gun fights was a refreshing change for the series and I honestly think Naughty Dog should take some notes from Bend on how to implement the treasure system in future installments. I really hope Bend gets the chance to make another and from one wary Uncharted fan to another, I highly recommend GA.

dan2026

I sort of want a Vita, everything about it looks kind of slick and cool.

But then I look at the Vita shelf in the games stores and it seems like there is still only about ten games for the system. None of which scream BUY ME!

But then I look at the Vita shelf in the games stores and it seems like there is still only about ten games for the system. None of which scream BUY ME!

Check out the PSP library too if you want a Vita as well. Overlooked 'feature' when so many people didn't get a PSP.

(There is more than ten games.)

sajj316

Retail isn't really indicative of the quality of software available for the system since they only have a select few. I do all my searches on Amazon and of course there are more than ten games for the system.

I'm sure I can get you a list of must haves but it's been said about 100 times in this thread and others before. If you still want one, I can pm it.

Jawmuncher

Sadly thats kinda true
But when I picked up both my 3DS and Vita, I noticed both systems are still kinda sitting there in the lack of games department.

I played my Vita a lot this weekend and I still can't get over how great this system is. I finished MGS3 and it was absolutely glorious (probably my favorite Vita game) and I also played a lot of Gravity Rush.

Speaking of Gravity Rush, the game is very good overall but I really don't like the combat. It feels pretty shallow and repetitive after awhile and it's fairly clunky as well.

sajj316

I played my Vita a lot this weekend and I still can't get over how great this system is. I finished MGS3 and it was absolutely glorious (probably my favorite Vita game) and I also played a lot of Gravity Rush.

Speaking of Gravity Rush, the game is very good overall but I really don't like the combat. It feels pretty shallow and repetitive after awhile and it's fairly clunky as well.

I haven't started Gravity Rush yet but did play a ton of Golden Abyss (second run on hard going after the trophies). Now that I'm used to the controls and understand the touch mechanics of platforming, it's actually easier than my initial "easy" run. I got the survivor trophy (75 kills in a row) on my "hard" run. I enjoy Golden Abyss over Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Uncharted 3.

Playing MK and Wipeout 2048 with HD and Fury packs as well. There is so much content in those two games, it's amazing that I only paid $10 and $20 respectively.

I haven't started Gravity Rush yet but did play a ton of Golden Abyss (second run on hard going after the trophies). Now that I'm used to the controls and understand the touch mechanics of platforming, it's actually easier than my initial "easy" run. I got the survivor trophy (75 kills in a row) on my "hard" run. I enjoy Golden Abyss over Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Uncharted 3.

Playing MK and Wipeout 2048 with HD and Fury packs as well. There is so much content in those two games, it's amazing that I only paid $10 and $20 respectively.
I'm starting to feel the itch for another Golden Abyss playthrough actually, and I agree with you that the game was more enjoyable than Uncharted 3 (but I still prefer DF to GA). I'm wondering how hard it'll be on crushing versus the other Uncharted games but I guess there's only one way to find out. And yes, Wipeout 2048 + HD and Fury is an incredible value --- those games are fantastic! Even at launch 2048 was only $30 which I thought was a great deal.

Cornbread78

I'm starting to feel the itch for another Golden Abyss playthrough actually, and I agree with you that the game was more enjoyable than Uncharted 3 (but I still prefer DF to GA). I'm wondering how hard it'll be on crushing versus the other Uncharted games but I guess there's only one way to find out. And yes, Wipeout 2048 + HD and Fury is an incredible value --- those games are fantastic! Even at launch 2048 was only $30 which I thought was a great deal.

I just picked up Wipeout at Wal-Mart for $20, I can't wait to dig in on all the content.

Also, question:

My buddy is going to let me borrow U:GA, there is no "pass" for it or any locking mechinism for it to not allow trophies correct?

kiyomi

Got a 16gb memory card coming in a couple of days so I will be able to get some more PSP RPG goodness on my Vita. Got P2, several FF games and TitS.

Still enjoying Gravity Rush, really charming game though I do agree with the comment above, the combat can be a bit clunky at times. That, and the sliding on the ground, are the only irritants. I'm terrible at those challenge missions, I can barely bronze them so far. :p

sajj316

I just picked up Wipeout at Wal-Mart for $20, I can't wait to dig in on all the content.

Also, question:

My buddy is going to let me borrow U:GA, there is no "pass" for it or any locking mechinism for it to not allow trophies correct?

Not that I'm aware of. There isn't an online multiplayer mode.

shaqnosis

Neo Member
Does anyone know where I can find a list of the criteria to achieve 5 stars for each mission in Unit 13. Have tried googling, but have only found walkthroughs, which I don't want. Maybe I'm not searching for the right thing.

I just finished a stealth mission, got an 'undetected bonus' at the end and everything and then was only awarded two stars. And the voice over lady in the debrief said something to the effect of "we may as well have strapped a siren to you operative. Try and go unnoticed next time". Wait. What? I got a bonus for going undetected.

So I'm just wondering how the 5 stars are assessed and what I need to be shooting for in each mission.

Spiegel

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...-still-shine-without-gta-5/?page=1#top_banner

Word is that Sony's Gamescom press conference is going to be a bigger deal than its respectable E3 outing. CVG knows for certain that the PS3 Super Slim will be announced at the event, based on what a publishing source told us, and new games aplenty will be demonstrated.

There's also another big franchise that's going to be announced for PS Vita, though we're duty-bound not to say any more than that.

GT or GTA?

Rezae

Even though I went through Disgaea 3 about 3 years ago and did a fair amount of post game content, I'll be damned if the Vita version isn't pulling me in even harder than the first time. Just feels so perfect on a handheld. Can always pick it up, grind a few maps, and put down (haha.. yeah right).

Due to hand cramping I went out and got the Nyko Power Grip and highly recommend it. Very comfortable and from what I can tell appears to double the Vita's battery life. The best accessory I've bought in a long time, and a steal for its price. I tried the PDP grip a few months back and didn't care for it (caused my hands to cramp in a different way and wasn't a fan of the trigger "dead zone"), but I've had zero issues with this one. Won't be sticking it in my pocket or most cases, but if you needed to it can be removed easy enough.

Takao

Banned
Gran Turismo sells the most in Europe, so an announcement there makes sense. However, any portable GTA game would also be made by a European developer. Who knows.

It'll probably just be another SCE title.

zroid

Banned
Even though I went through Disgaea 3 about 3 years ago and did a fair amount of post game content, I'll be damned if the Vita version isn't pulling me in even harder than the first time. Just feels so perfect on a handheld. Can always pick it up, grind a few maps, and put down (haha.. yeah right).

Since the GBA I've found that long, grindy RPGs always tend to be better on handheld systems. It's reached a point now where I think I'd prefer all of them to be on either 3DS or Vita. And it's a large part of why I want PS1 compatibility so bad -- lacking a PSP, I need a way to play those PS1 RPGs!

Does anyone know where I can find a list of the criteria to achieve 5 stars for each mission in Unit 13. Have tried googling, but have only found walkthroughs, which I don't want. Maybe I'm not searching for the right thing.

I just finished a stealth mission, got an 'undetected bonus' at the end and everything and then was only awarded two stars. And the voice over lady in the debrief said something to the effect of "we may as well have strapped a siren to you operative. Try and go unnoticed next time". Wait. What? I got a bonus for going undetected.

So I'm just wondering how the 5 stars are assessed and what I need to be shooting for in each mission.

There is no walkthrough as it depends on your play style. You need to work out which class looks like it will be easier for you to get your multiplyer up with.

For me I used the pistol + head shot guy (I think he is called Chuckles?). Just make sure you only use pistol and just get head shots and your score should fly. Apart from the stealth missions of course. You might need to lvl him up first though.

On a few other missions the shotgun guy was pretty good once you get the muzzle that gives you longer ranger.

As for Uncharted, I think its awesome and played it 3 times so far (normal, hard and crushing). Whats annoying is how it doesn't make it clear that things like melee don't need you to tap the screen. Just press square instead. You have to do the arrow things on touch but not the actual punching. The only things you have to use on touch are the arrows, puzzles and granades. The only one that I personally didn't like was the arrows on the bosses on Crushing. It just decided not to register them 90% of the time and so I died a LOT. Annoying mostly because on normal and hard I didn't fail a single arrow so I expected to walk it.

The most stupid thing is the gyro for the balance events. Patch that out quickly please. Its not hard.... its just stupid.

A really nice thing is that on second play throughs, as long as you use the same save file you don't have to do any of the puzzles again. So if that stuff isn't your thing, you only have to put up with it on the first play through.

I think im nearing the end of MGS3. I absolutely love this HD collection. I had only played the first half on MGS2 in the past and never 3 and its amazing how well this games still hold up today.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Please be GT please be GT please be GT please be GT.

Propably The Getaway portable or Rapid Racer 2. :(

an open world or arcade racer will be nice on Vita, but both are dead IPs.

also SCE only have three names that can be " big franchise" ,GT,God of War and Uncharted.

but if it's not a Sony IP, then well I'm not sure,but I'd like to get a new Saints Row on Vita.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom