• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
You need some nice natural, but not too strong, daylight. Its all in the lighting.
Spooky when you get it right, and set your height and weight to what you are.
Seeing yourself running around the court makes you really think that yes, you could do this professionally, as you certainly look like you know what you are doing.
I can't tell if this post is serious or not, but I'm laughing nonetheless. If it is, I need a shot of your Virtua Tennis 4 character and you side by side.

Another thing in VT4 I didn't see mentioned - in the upper left hand corner there's a meter that builds up. If you choose your moment right, use the "O" button for a powerful slice. Usually the opponent can't get to it in time. (If you time/aim it right.) I always save it for a key point. Don't worry - it won't deplete until you use it.

Also, had to mention I beat Roddick in 5 sets in an exhibition match. Considering I had dropped the first 2 sets, I though it was an impressive feat.

Thanks for the tips! I suspected that the game has a hidden depth, and hopefully I'll be able to put these to good use once/if the game becomes difficult enough to necessitate strategic play.

Pf, I've played that game for LOTS of hours and from time to time I do special "top spin" shots or some weird shit and I still don't even know how I do that.

dsigns1

My Virtua self didnt look great. There was a weird shine and the mouth placement was off. Really wish theyd allow you to retake the photo after you start the World Tour.

With that said, once I added a sombrero and some sunglasses you cant see the weird shine and I think I'm going to try out for Wimbledon.

It's that meter I was just talking about. When it builds up, that's when you can use your super shots.

No, no, I mean sometimes during normal play, letters saying "Top spin!" appear close to my character, I think it's got something to do with doing a certain gesture with the stick while you're receiving the ball but I actually have no idea.

I certainly abuse the O supershots :p

No, no, I mean sometimes during normal play, letters saying "Top spin!" appear close to my character, I think it's got something to do with doing a certain gesture with the stick while you're receiving the ball but I actually have no idea.

I certainly abuse the O supershots :p
Oh ok, gotcha. Ya know I always saw these little words pop up but they were so quick, I never got the chance to see what they even said. Interesting.

I love this f-ing game. I think it's my favorite Vita title.

qcf x2

I'm sad nobody invited me to a game yet :(

How do I send those post point/match messages? I push the L or R button and nothing happens.

oldmario

Do trophies for momentum blitz sync yet? want to format my vita so i can put the 2 free psp games i got from my jpn account last year then put my original account back on

Tambini

Long journey tomorrow so I bought Pac-Man CE and Plants Vs Zombies. Between those two and MGS HD/Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus I should be well entertained.

Xenon

Picked up Hot Shots from PSN last night and have been playing it a lot today. It's a good game, but it's hard as fuck to get those crowns. (Need to unlock easy mode.)

Kind of wish I went with Virtua Tennis lol. :(

Wow call me weird but this exactly why I am loving the game. I was able to get through the game pretty quick but getting the crowns takes some work. You have to learn the courses, select the right player and carefully plan your shots. I'm lovin it!

Osietra

Banned
I think the really awful for thing for me is that my portable gaming attention span has been severely fucked by IOS games, pretty much the only game on Vita that really held my time was Gravity Daze.

shaqnosis

Neo Member
UNIT 13.

Jesus Christ people, stop ignoring this must have title for vita.

Just started playing this yesterday. What a fantastic game & definitely underrated by many.

When you are aiming down the scopes in first person mode is scratches the COD/BF itch nicely, and shows how awesome the Vita can be for true FPS titles (I haven't played Resistance yet). The AI is a bit "dumb" with how they react, but you will get your ass handed to you if you're not careful.

I suck at the game right now, so if anyone wants some easy scores to beat for the friends-list trophies, feel free to add me psn = shaqnosis.

BosSin

I really want unit 13, but have spent quite a bit on vita stuff recently.

Hopefully by the time I'm ready to get it the price will drop as its £30-£35 right now

Huff

Banned
Just bought army corps off of eBay for like 12 dollars, is it any good?

Currently rocking through lumines (my first one) and am loving it

Also, Where is my Heart is an amazing mini, as is flying hamster

mushroom_woods.PNG

flyingHamster08.png

I welcome all friend requests. :)

Added you and Zeer0id ^_^

Pacificsun0481 = my PSN name

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Does it work better if you reboot ?
It should work fine. I don't remember any gyro problem in that game. I got stuck in a bounce upwards under water level, but that one doesn't use gyro. More a timing thing.

The bonus levels are the only ones that I have encountered that used the gyro.

It's pretty bad.

How good is Virtua Tennis for the Vita? I've got all the games I want for the system (Except Gravity Rush for now) so want something to play on it on long flights and road trips.

Glix

"The developers are still waiting for Sony Computer Entertainment America to sign off on Vita compatibility, but that’s already happened in Europe, and if it doesn’t happen at launch in the US, it’ll come soon after." - From Giant Bomb article about Wizorb PSMini port

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT. I HATE YOU SONY.

Full disclosure - I have played the shit out of Wizorb on Steam, and doubt that I personally will be buying the PSN version. Regardless, why the Vita compatibility would not be there at launch, because Sony USA is too ass backwards to SIGN OFF on it is such fucking nonsense, and so indicative of the bullshit that they have pulling since the Vita launched.

I'm so tired of this idiocy. Get your act together, Sony.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
How good is Virtua Tennis for the Vita? I've got all the games I want for the system (Except Gravity Rush for now) so want something to play on it on long flights and road trips.
It's great. I hadn't been using my Vita in the past month, but Virtua Tennis 4 gave the system a new life.

Famassu

You can't blame me, SOCOM 4 awfulness forced me to avoid it completely.

so what make it better than SOCOM 4?
Well designed missions that fit a portable game well, characters that play somewhat differently, fun coop and a neat scoring system that gives the game some replay value. Seriously, it's kind of silly to dismiss games just because you didn't like the devs last game. Judge each game on their own. Some devs falter sometimes, deal with it. It's still possible they'll make good games after not-so-good ones.

zroid

Banned
Played the Golden Abyss demo.

hm.

I love Uncharted (even 3), but something here feels somehow off. I hate speaking in such vague terms, but I don't know how else to articulate it. One thing I can say for sure is that the touch mechanics are just plain terrible.

Part of it, I believe, is also that I don't think this is the kind of experience I'm into on a handheld. It almost made me feel claustrophobic, if that makes any sense.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
It's great. I hadn't been using my Vita in the past month, but Virtua Tennis 4 gave the system a new life.

after reading your posts insulting Shenmue I think it's better for your Vita to stay away from your horrible hands and soul :(

Well designed missions that fit a portable game well, characters that play somewhat differently, fun coop and a neat scoring system that gives the game some replay value. Seriously, it's kind of silly to dismiss games just because you didn't like the devs last game. Judge each game on their own. Some devs falter sometimes, deal with it. It's still possible they'll make good games after not-so-good ones.

well track record matters (well Zipper is dead now anyway) and Unit 13 reviews weren't that hot.

however I might try to give it a shot when the price get lower.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
after reading your posts insulting Shenmue I think it's better for your Vita to stay away from your horrible hands and soul :(
I could say the same for you! And it was just one post. :(

Yakuza 4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Shenmue. By a country mile.

hm.

I love Uncharted (even 3), but something here feels somehow off. I hate speaking in such vague terms, but I don't know how else to articulate it. One thing I can say for sure is that the touch mechanics are just plain terrible.

Part of it, I believe, is also that I don't think this is the kind of experience I'm into on a handheld. It almost made me feel claustrophobic, if that makes any sense.
I had the same problem, and claustrophobia is a good word for it. The areas in the demo are all small and cramped, so they're probably not representative of the final game, but when I finished the demo (the first part at least, I couldn't get past the sniper part), I didn't have much interest in buying the game, especially at its current price.

hm.

I found the touch mechanics to be quite strong, well implemented even. They seem to fit with the Drake character, they always seem in context of the world/archaeological objectives.

It's the shooting/touch combat that seems off. It's cumbersome to touch the screen in a firefight, punching a goon who has moved in too close. The analog aiming feels unresponsive and gyro adds to overall, feeling quite imprecise.

Combat aside, I loved the game. The demo showcases the ungliest area, in which you also spend the least amount of time. They could have showcased the other 93% of the game, which is gorgeous and engrossingly vivid.

I had the same problem, and claustrophobia is a good word for it. The areas in the demo are all small and cramped, so they're probably not representative of the final game, but when I finished the demo (the first part at least, I couldn't get past the sniper part), I didn't have much interest in buying the game, especially at its current price.
Agree 1000 percent. The demo was terrible and really put me off the game. Based on impressions, though, I went ahead and got it. Game is so much better. And I also couldn't get past that sniper part in the demo.

Famassu

well track record matters (well Zipper is dead now anyway) and Unit 13 reviews weren't that hot.
I don't think track record matters at all. If a game is good, it's good. I'm not sure why Unit 13 didn't get the kind of reception from critics it deserves, if I had to guess it's probably a few things. 1) no competitive multiplayer 2) no OMG EPIC story, you just go ahead and finish missions without too much hubbub 3) it's not a looker 4) the score hunting aspect of the game is one of its more important ones and for some reason score attack-ish games don't often go too well with reviewers, they want less skill-based cinematic games instead of stuff that you to put some effort into it to get good results. Unit 13 is the The Club of Vita, though more of a mix of The Club & SOCOM than a 100% similar game. That wasn't the best looking game either and it had score attack in well designed, fun levels as its main thing as well and it didn't get that enthusiastic a reception either.

Not that Unit 13 is perfect. It's kind of annoying you have to unlock missions in single-player before you can take them on in coop, it's not the most polished game of all time (a few times my brother got stuck behind a kind of "checkpoint door" that was open to me but closed to him, luckily he could rejoin me after I had finished the objective behind the doors) and while the controls work well, they could work even better.

patsu

hm.

IMHO, some touch mechanics in U:GA is questionable (e.g., melee). I think the touch puzzles are generally more interesting.

As for claustrophobic feel, don't worry about it. The real game has more variety. There are corridors, vertical maps and open (sniper) levels.

Kazerei

Banned

hm.

The demo is a poor representation of the full game IMO.

For some reason they picked a boring, cramped area for the platforming section, instead of one of the beautiful, outdoor environments. The fires don't even look that good, so I'm not sure why they chose to show them off.

And the shooting section isn't really representative of what most gunplay in the game is like. I would've picked a section where you can choose to go for stealth kills, or just get into a typical cover-based firefight.

I wrote up some more detailed impressions awhile ago. Since you've played the other Uncharteds I think you know what to expect. Golden Abyss doesn't do anything particularly new and impressive, but it's still a solid game.

Virtua Tennis 4 is my favorite Vita game thus far. It is well put together, addictive, and plays great in small bursts (even though you'll want to play for hours)

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

hm.

GA would have been a lot better if the touch controls were optional at parts where it wasn't.

There will be a part where you jump on something and it just breaks and without warning you have to swipe the screen to survive. I've died a few times because it's just so sudden and you aren't ready for it.

I thought using the touch for grenades worked alright, could have been better.

The final boss fight? Ugh... annoying as shit with all the swiping.

All in all, I enjoyed it, if you're on the fence, wait for a sale.

zroid

Banned
IMHO, some touch mechanics in U:GA is questionable (e.g., melee). I think the touch puzzles are generally more interesting.

I guess I can't speak for the touch implementation in anything outside of what was shown in the demo -- which amounted to tediously swiping the screen. I don't have any problems with touch mechanics, but they tend to annoy me when shoehorned into gameplay that's working fine without them. If a game is entirely designed around a touchscreen, I generally am cool with it.

As for claustrophobic feel, don't worry about it. The real game has more variety. There are corridors, vertical maps and open (sniper) levels.

I'm very glad to hear that, but the weird thing is I'm not really sure that was my concern. The "claustrophobia" was more a result of never really feeling that I was able to see this world as I wanted to. When playing the PS3 Uncharteds, there was always a sense of awe, like I'm being enveloped by the environment.

While playing the UGA demo, I think the best analogy I can come up with is being trapped in a closet, peering past the slightly ajar door into the game world. It's like being forced to squint to see where I'm supposed to go, or what I'm supposed to do, versus looking out at the space before me.

I just don't know that holding this great, big world of Uncharted between the palms of my hands is the way I want to play this game.

Then again, who knows, maybe this is in fact all just a result of the cramped demo sections, and I'm misinterpreting my own feedback. It's really hard to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom