• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

spats

Totally with you there. The moment they announce GT is coming to Vita, my life is complete.

Can't come up with many other big properties I would really want on a portable. GT PSP (haters be damned) got a lot of fundamental things right about what makes a slick portable driving game. While an A-Spec mode in GT Vita would be nice, I'd rather take another skirmish/make-your-own-race type deal rather than waiting for them to take years implementing and balancing a half-baked campaign mode that gets old quickly.

Do we know if Kaz has publically even acknowledged the Vita? I imagine it's the kind of system he'd really enjoy tinkering with.

Gran Turismo Vita.... RC

That'd make me really sad, but then I'd buy it anyway.

What's the opinion on the Vita dock?

81avyjo4f9L._AA1500_.jpg

zroid

Banned

I was asking about this in the previous thread. I actually didn't end up getting it (not because I didn't want it, but I just decided to save my money and make do), but most respondents claimed it's attractive and functional, although the build quality is cheap and it's way overpriced.

I was asking about this in the previous thread. I actually didn't end up getting it (not because I didn't want it, but I just decided to save my money and make do), but most respondents claimed it's attractive and functional, although the build quality is cheap and it's way overpriced.
If you're going to plug your Vita into a home stereo system for music, the dock is way worth it because it includes some stereophile quality audio op-amps or something... other than that, I will say that I love mine - I'm totally sold on docks for all my main handhelds now; PSPgo, 3DS and Vita, I've got 'em all...

Ponn

Banned

Awesome. It feels really light and at first glance when you open the box and see just the dock, no cables you feel jipped a little but it really is worth it. Keeps the Vita up off of desks or surfaces where it can fall and get scratched, its always charging without you having to think about plugging it in and the stand has nice rubber bottom so even though its light it stays put where you put it.

I'm starting to feel the itch for another Golden Abyss playthrough actually, and I agree with you that the game was more enjoyable than Uncharted 3 (but I still prefer DF to GA). I'm wondering how hard it'll be on crushing versus the other Uncharted games but I guess there's only one way to find out. And yes, Wipeout 2048 + HD and Fury is an incredible value --- those games are fantastic! Even at launch 2048 was only $30 which I thought was a great deal.

I liked Golden Abyss a lot, but I don't rank it higher than Uncharted 1. Playing Uncharted 2 again, the experience really is quite a lot better on the home console, and while I'm getting an increased impression I am alone in this, the gameplay and set-pieces of Uncharted 3 were more fun than Uncharted 2. The only reason why I think Uncharted 2 stands above 3, is simply because it is a much more complete 'whole' with a better story, better story setup, and cooler character interaction and development. So even while the controls were a bit off initially in Uncharted 3 didn't help either, and some of the earlier forest scenes that should have looked very impressive but failing (ML)AA ruins it, almost all the fighting sections involving water in Uncharted 3 more than make up for it gameplay wise. Some of the sections were slightly ridicilulous, sure, but I do remember those, and want to play them again. In fact, even just watching them on youtube, I feel compelled to keep watching.

That said I still really enjoyed Golden Abyss, and the last few hours of the game were very exciting and I played through them in one sitting, and the game has a lot of depth to go back into it and collect, trade and so on. However, personally I would have much preferred some kind of score chasing with leaderboards.

spats

I hope the gamescom press conference gets streamed this year. Should be interesting to see how big of a focus the Vita will get
if any

Takao

Banned
I think the unnanounced game can be moh:warfighter thereby confirming the leaks

EA said it doesn't exist, and why would they promo that when Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified is almost assuredly going to be unveiled at Gamescom?

No God of War has ever been first announced in Europe, and as of June no GoW for Vita was in development.

So? SCEA doesn't have time for Vita with wonderbook taking all their attention so with latest Gow sales being similar in Europe to USA there's no reason why they wouldn't do it.

zroid

Banned
I don't think there's a single thing Sony could announce that would get me excited, outside of a new IP.

I feel really burned out on all of their existing properties right now, especially God of War. I'm not even that optimistic about Thieves in Time :(

Takao

Banned
So? SCEA doesn't have time for Vita with wonderbook taking all their attention so with latest Gow sales being similar in Europe to USA there's no reason why they wouldn't do it.

Did you miss the part where I said that a GoW for Vita wasn't even in pre-production by E3? All they'd have to show is a logo, and given Ascension has yet to come out I'd doubt they would do that.

Ponn

Banned
Oh yea, beat Gravity Rush finally. Will go back and finish the DLC packs I have but don't see me doing those challenges to platinum it. Won't go into it here but yea good game.

Started playing Tactics Ogre again, little dirty secret, I haven't beaten it yet. I was planning on finishing it on the Vita but in the process of moving from PSP to Vita I lost a couple save files, VC2 and TO. Anyone who has played TO knows how crushing that could be so i've been reluctant to pick it up and slog through it. I'm back in it now.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I don't think there's a single thing Sony could announce that would get me excited, outside of a new IP.

I feel really burned out on all of their existing properties right now, especially God of War. I'm not even that optimistic about Thieves in Time :(

Any revival of an old classic Sony IP can be sweet,The problem is that they focus on few newer IPs (like GOW,GT,LBP,Uncharted) and milked them to hell and forgot about all the others. (Alundra,Ape Escape,Dark Cloud,,Colony Wars,G-Police,Arc the Lad,Drakan,Omega Boost,The Legend of Dragoon,Lemmings,MediEvil,Syphon Filter,Wild Arms..ect)

Cornbread78

Not that I'm aware of. There isn't an online multiplayer mode.

Good deal, I can't wait to play through it!

Even though I went through Disgaea 3 about 3 years ago and did a fair amount of post game content, I'll be damned if the Vita version isn't pulling me in even harder than the first time. Just feels so perfect on a handheld. Can always pick it up, grind a few maps, and put down (haha.. yeah right).

I'm right there with you on this one, I've been playing the game on and off since it's release, I'm just trying to figure out how to unlock all the post game content, I did all the missions that posted immediately, but now there is nothing new available.

but Killzone Vita is already announced.

Have they had a formal announcement on it yet though? We haven't actually seen anthing about it....

zroid

Banned
Any revival of an old classic Sony IP can be sweet,The problem is that they focus on few newer IPs (like GOW,GT,LBP,Uncharted) and milked them to hell and forgot about all the others. (Alundra,Ape Escape,Dark Cloud,,Colony Wars,G-Police,Arc the Lad,Drakan,Omega Boost,The Legend of Dragoon,Lemmings,MediEvil,Syphon Filter,Wild Arms..ect)

True. I'd be happy with most of those. Too bad it won't happen :/

That brings back happy memories. I loved that one.

Takao

Banned

How well do you think some of these have sold though? Some of those are even single game franchises which implies low sales in general.

Have they had a formal announcement on it yet though? We haven't actually seen anthing about it....

We saw like 11 seconds of it in the original NGP reveal trailer. But if Resistance: Burning Skies is anything to go by that may not even be in the game.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Some of those aren't franchises though, so I don't think they'll get sequels just for the Vita. The Move Ape Escape game just came out last year, so the franchise isn't dead. The others? Probably, although Medievil Resurrection was incredibly surprising, making it impossible to say.

Some of those aren't franchises though, so I don't think they'll get sequels just for the Vita. The Move Ape Escape game just came out last year, so the franchise is dead. The others? Probably, although Medievil Resurrection was incredibly surprising, making it impossible to say.

Man would an ape escape game be perfect for the Vita

Ponn

Banned
I would do backflips if the Vita became home to WD Saturn ports. Dragon Force, Magic Knight Rayearth, Shining Wisdom and other Shining games. Throw in a remake of Elemental Gearbolt using the motion controls built in the Vita.

Cornbread78

How well do you think some of these have sold though? Some of those are even single game franchises which implies low sales in general.

We saw like 11 seconds of it in the original NGP reveal trailer. But if Resistance: Burning Skies is anything to go by that may not even be in the game.

Man, you guys are bringing me back to all those great PS1/PS2 jRPG franchises..... Would love to see some of those on VITA, but those are just pipe dreams...

Yeah, there were touting remote play with Killzone3 on their retail VITA demos as well, but.......

Takao

Banned
Some of those aren't franchises though, so I don't think they'll get sequels just for the Vita. The Move Ape Escape game just came out last year, so the franchise is dead. The others? Probably, although Medievil Resurrection was incredibly surprising, making it impossible to say.

wut

I imagine you meant "isn't"?

Skilletor

Rachel sections + 30fps make NG:S+ really difficult to get through. :(

Want to skip Rachel.

Still one of the best looking titles on the system, though.

I liked Golden Abyss a lot, but I don't rank it higher than Uncharted 1. Playing Uncharted 2 again, the experience really is quite a lot better on the home console, and while I'm getting an increased impression I am alone in this, the gameplay and set-pieces of Uncharted 3 were more fun than Uncharted 2. The only reason why I think Uncharted 2 stands above 3, is simply because it is a much more complete 'whole' with a better story, better story setup, and cooler character interaction and development. So even while the controls were a bit off initially in Uncharted 3 didn't help either, and some of the earlier forest scenes that should have looked very impressive but failing (ML)AA ruins it, almost all the fighting sections involving water in Uncharted 3 more than make up for it gameplay wise. Some of the sections were slightly ridicilulous, sure, but I do remember those, and want to play them again. In fact, even just watching them on youtube, I feel compelled to keep watching.

That said I still really enjoyed Golden Abyss, and the last few hours of the game were very exciting and I played through them in one sitting, and the game has a lot of depth to go back into it and collect, trade and so on. However, personally I would have much preferred some kind of score chasing with leaderboards.

Nah, I agree -- and while I'm not sure where GA fits in yet, since I already think that 1 & 3 were infinitely better for me than Uncharted 2, I don't have any problems believing that I will eventually place GA above it as well.

gwarm01

Damn! On a recent flight my Vita sustained damage to its shell in the form of a crack near the right speakers. No idea how this happened, it was in a protective case and I wasn't exactly rough with my backpack. Anyone else sustained damage in that general area? It's not a big deal, but man, the Vita is so good looking. I hate to have a blemish on it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Some of those aren't franchises though, so I don't think they'll get sequels just for the Vita. The Move Ape Escape game just came out last year, so the franchise isn't dead. The others? Probably, although Medievil Resurrection was incredibly surprising, making it impossible to say.

I was replaying to Zeer0id(read his post) who was talking about Sony's IPs in general, not about big franchises.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I was replaying to Zeer0id(read his post) who was talking about Sony's IPs in general, not about big franchises.
I guess I'm going with the Idle Thumbs definition as per their most recent podcast, because I don't really consider 10 year old games that don't even have a PSN release (Omega Boost, specifically) IPs.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I guess I'm going with the Idle Thumbs definition as per their most recent podcast, because I don't really consider 10 year old games that don't even have a PSN release (Omega Boost, specifically) IPs.

there is no other definition here really, IP = Intellectual Property,so any game the company still own the rights for,old or new.

(and again Zeer0id and me weren't talking about big super seller titles (COD/Mario sized franchises) just about Sony games in general).

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Is anyone else having major problems playing Virtua Tennis 4 online? I'm having a serious button delay problem, and the game actually straight up froze for a second, making it impossible to catch the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom