• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iacobellis

I don't think pushing the PSP in its early days helped when at the time the library was still fairly sparse. The early Vita's library is still way better than the early PSP library, but I think that you really need to have a certain number of sports titles out before a serious push makes sense.

I say that as someone who hates sports games.

I do agree the PSP launch was mostly PS2 ports and sports games, but it was crazy at the time to have a handheld almost as powerful as current home consoles. It was not seen before and Sony used celebrities, musicians and the like to advertise. You never see them do that anymore.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I love Borderlands and I'm looking forward to the sequel. But sometimes Pitchford can be an asshole. He mentioned that he'd love to see it on Vita but that Gearbox is too busy to do it themselves. Did he expect SCE to drop everything and call him immediately?

Gearbox and Rovio both sounded like they just want SCE to fund the ports and cover everything instead of them,and I think Sony will never do it because it will just encourage every other studio out there to take advantage of Vita situation and ask Sony for money/ free ports for their games.

Also Borderlands 2 Vita is just too late now,PS3-Vita play is a good idea if you release them in the same time, not so much for late ports.

Iacobellis

Did they say it was locked? That would be pretty fantastic. Might mean modnation may stand a chance down the line.

It is, but I'm not sure if upping it in the future will change current games. It might, but when the PSP was 64MB of RAM it didn't do much help to the games.

Skyzard

Banned
Infact I'd say Unreal really let down vita owners.

Usually their engines are used for loads of games right? Who would want to use it again after all the flack MK got for the graphics.

It is, but I'm not sure if upping it in the future will change current games. It might, but when the PSP was 64MB of RAM it didn't do much help to the games.

If it is true that it is locked then games were you have a lot of slowdown would definitely benefit from higher clock. Modnation 100% would...the lag happened during chaos. It was pretty obvious when psp went from 266-333 or something.

Gearbox and Rovio both sounded like they just want SCE to fund the ports and cover everything instead of them,and I think Sony will never do it because it will just encourage every other studio out there to take advantage of Vita situation and ask Sony for money/ free ports for their games.

Also Borderlands 2 Vita is just too late now,PS3-Vita play is a good idea if you release them in the same time, not so much for late ports.

Bingo! Hey make this game for us and pay us when your done. Oh yea by the way, we get a cut every sale. Lol.

Iacobellis

Infact I'd say Unreal really let down vita owners.

Usually their engines are used for loads of games right? Who would want to use it again after all the flack MK got for the graphics.

It's Year ONE. PS1 games looked terrible in 1995 compared to 2000. The same can be said for the PS2, PS3, and PSP. Give it time. Soon we won't be seeing games at sub-native resolution and running at 30FPS.

Famassu

Reputation dwindles with time..
Not necessarily. For Borderlands 2 I see noticeably more hype than there ever was for the first game. Hoping that translates to great sales numbers, would be shame for what is such an obvious improvement over the first game go to waste.

Skyzard

Banned
It's Year ONE. PS1 games looked terrible in 1995 compared to 2000. The same can be said for the PS2, PS3, and PSP. Give it time. Soon we won't be seeing games at sub-native resolution and running at 30FPS.

Do they have plans to update the engine? Otherwise it is pretty much a total let down from what I usually expect from Unreal...it was just bad, even compared to other games out Year ONE. I'm sure others can make decent engines in time.

Not necessarily. For Borderlands 2 I see noticeably more hype than there ever was for the first game. Hoping that translates to great sales numbers, would be shame for what is such an obvious improvement over the first game go to waste.

Sure I can see it having some hype, but it's still a big risk for Sony, it's not so much a favour as people think. Especially to actually get BL2 to run well on vita. By taking a look at the games that we've had already and how they perform, then imagining what BL2 would be like...it's a pretty huge jump and that means it is a very demanding title and tough to develop - adds to the risk. Sure they could just gimp it but what's the point.

No reason to expect a rushed answer, I hope they just take their time to figure out if it is possible/do the research etc as opposed to getting half way and thinking - this isn't going to happen. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it, it's just really unlikely atm imo especially with them suggesting Sony take care of it.

Lucent

Yeah, there's absolutely nothing to play on Vita, now or never.

PS3--I mean Vita has no gaems!

Man I hated that saying. It has better exclusives (IMO) than anything the 360 has and people still use that sometimes. =/

But, yeah, that's an awesome list. Not sure if I'll like all of them, but I'm gonna be optimistic and believe that the Vita is gonna be like all of Sony's consoles and just needs time to build up before it gets hit with a lot of awesome stuff.

spannicus

Man I hated that saying. It has better exclusives (IMO) than anything the 360 has and people still use that sometimes. =/

But, yeah, that's an awesome list. Not sure if I'll like all of them, but I'm gonna be optimistic and believe that the Vita is gonna be like all of Sony's consoles and just needs time to build up before it gets hit with a lot of awesome stuff.

All we can do is wait and see and sing kumbaya

Famassu

I think it was even worse for PSP. Some people STILL think PSP has/had no games ever, some are only now coming to realize (after perhaps buying Vita and checking the PS Store's PSP section) what an awesome portable it really was (and not every game is even on PSN, many of the best aren't).

I don't think pushing the PSP in its early days helped when at the time the library was still fairly sparse. The early Vita's library is still way better than the early PSP library, but I think that you really need to have a certain number of sports titles out before a serious push makes sense.

I say that as someone who hates sports games.
From a quality standpoint, maybe. But it was a total misfire as far as mass appeal goes.

At PSP's NA launch, we had fantastic original games like Lumines and Metal Gear Acid, plus the first ever portable games in the Wipeout, Twisted Metal, and MLB series.

But the more important factor was that it also had much better casual appeal than Vita currently offers, with games like Need for Speed Underground, Tony Hawk, NBA, NFL Street, Spider-Man 2, Tiger Woods...those are entire genres not represented on Vita at the moment.

And soon after launch there was HSG, Midnight Club, FIFA, not to mention a bunch of already announced killer exclusives like GTA, FF7:CC, and Daxter.

The games that eventually migrated to Vita lost the novelty of making their portable debut, so even though Wipeout 2048, Lumines:ES, etc. are objectively better than their PSP predecessors, they have no luster.

If COD ends up being more than a logo, this might change. Ubi releasing AC: Liberation on the same day as AC3 has already sealed that game's fate. At this point, I've accepted that this will be my PSO2 machine, because it seems like Sega's the single developer crazy enough to support Vita :p

Skyzard

Banned
That's pretty subjective. I'd say they did a great job with mass appeal on the launch titles. As good as they could have. Just because they're aren't to your tastes doesn't mean it's not mass appeal.

People are just slow to realise what is awesome, and also a bit poor these days.

Iacobellis

From a quality standpoint, maybe. But it was a total misfire as far as mass appeal goes.

At PSP's NA launch, we had fantastic original games like Lumines and Metal Gear Acid, plus the first ever portable games in the Wipeout, Twisted Metal, and MLB series.

But the more important factor was that it also had much better casual appeal than Vita currently offers, with games like Need for Speed Underground, Tony Hawk, NBA, NFL Street, Spider-Man 2, Tiger Woods...those are entire genres not represented on Vita at the moment.

And soon after launch there was HSG, Midnight Club, FIFA, not to mention a bunch of already announced killer exclusives like GTA, FF7:CC, and Daxter.

The games that eventually migrated to Vita lost the novelty of making their portable debut, so even though Wipeout 2048, Lumines:ES, etc. are objectively better than their PSP predecessors, they have no luster.

If COD ends up being more than a logo, this might change. Ubi releasing AC: Liberation on the same day as AC3 has already sealed that game's fate. At this point, I've accepted that this will be my PSO2 machine, because it seems like Sega's the single developer crazy enough to support Vita :p

Half of those franchises aren't even popular among the mainstream anymore.

Lucent

I think it was even worse for PSP. Some people STILL think PSP has/had no games ever, some are only now coming to realize (after perhaps buying Vita and checking the PS Store's PSP section) what an awesome portable it really was (and not every game is even on PSN, many of the best aren't).

True. There are a lot of PSP games I never got around to playing or didn't know about before I got the Vita. I love Corpse Party. And I'm glad the Vita already can support most of the PSP's library. Though the ones that never became digital, that part sucks. =/

At this point, BBS and FFCC hitting PSN would be as big a news as Shenmue 3. :(

spannicus

That's pretty subjective. I'd say they did a great job with mass appeal on the launch titles. As good as they could have. Just because they're aren't to your tastes doesn't mean it's not mass appeal. People are just slow to realise what is awesome, and also a bit poor these days.

Plants vs Zombies, Asphalt, Dungeon Quest, Army of Hell were all titles that should not have been launch titles in my opinion. the 40 dollar price point for those games was ridiculous. There could have been much better titles than those four which obviously took nothing but space from what could have been a proper launch title. I would call those games Sony's way of filling empty slots.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

AC3:L release dat is just bat shit insane,I don't even see even AssCreed fans playing two AC back to back ,they really need to release it in 2013 (at least 4 or 6 months after AC3)

Bingo! Hey make this game for us and pay us when your done. Oh yea by the way, we get a cut every sale. Lol.

Yeah,Sony will be crazy to agree on doing it,and seeing that Rovio just announced AJ trilogy without Vita version-after 4 months or so of their statement about "it's up to Sony" I guess it confirm that Sony didn't want to do it.

Skyzard

Banned
Plants vs Zombies, Asphalt, Dungeon Quest, Army of Hell were all titles that should not have been launch titles in my opinion. the 40 dollar price point for those games was ridiculous. There could have been much better titles than those four which obviously took nothing but space from what could have been a proper launch title. I would call those games Sony's way of filling empty slots.

That's true, it was just developers trying to cash in on the small catalogue during the launch of the vita.

Guys all it really should come down to is - how good is the vita? hardware - no box left unchecked
what's left? Software, will they come? Fuck yeah, the vita is amazing, every game would play well on it. What's it going to take ... time :( what can we do about it? ride the patience (??)

No. Those games belong on the PS3, what I want for my PSV are original and creative titles like Soundshapes and Dyad.

They'd be find on Vita. I really want Dyad to come though. Like that game would actually serve the vita tremendously well. I really hope sony are just throwing money at him to get it done. I know his PS3 version is just launching so it's a bit mean to bombard with even more requests for a vita version......but soon.

Skyzard

Banned
Not yet, he said he's going to do his best. I believe him. Just hope he doesn't need to much reminding how good it is and would be on vita. He says he prefers it as its better on a bigger tv....but I'm not quite convinced - can't think of too many things the vita's screen wouldn't be good for....perhaps sc2... maybe

Mondriaan

I agree with most of your points; heavy advertising like what was done for the PSP doesn't make sense for the Vita until you have those mass appeal games. Of course, it remains to be seen if that audience cares that much about portable gaming.

It's completely possible that the only interest in portable gaming they have is using some cellphone app to keep tabs on some fantasy football/other sports league and they're already beyond reach.

spannicus

That would be financial suicide.

Maybe but the ideas behind those games are what we need on the Vita. I know COD will sell but come on..its COD. No creativity, depth or anything compelling. Sony's banking on a name and a stale experience to save the Vita. Give me Unfinished Swan.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
No. Those games belong on the PS3, what I want for my PSV are original and creative titles like Soundshapes and Dyad.

Pretty much, they are more of cinematic experiences fit for big HDTV and very long gameplay session, do not fit the handhelds at all.

Gravity Rush,unique experience that fit handhelds, now gimme more of that on Vita.

and SCE Japan Studio better bring their other teams asap (where the hell is Ape Escape team?)

Haliela

Maybe but the ideas behind those games are what we need on the Vita. I know COD will sell but come on..its COD. No creativity, depth or anything compelling. Sony's banking on a name and a stale experience to save the Vita. Give me Unfinished Swan.

If it can provide the same experience as the consoles with the online multiplay it would be amazing. Having an online competitive shooter on the go with the bredth of options CoD provides would be stunning.

Hopefully this will happen.

zroid

Banned
iirc, McGrath said he would put Dyad on Vita, if two conditions were met:

1. It can be good on a small screen
2. Sony allows B2GB

According to what I heard, they're already on board for the latter, so it's really just a matter of if he decides the game is fun to play and works on the Vita. Hopefully that will be the case.

spannicus

If it can provide the same experience as the consoles with the online multiplay it would be amazing. Having an online competitive shooter on the go with the bredth of options CoD provides would be stunning.

Hopefully this will happen.

But do you personally believe that It will have everything that makes it what it is on consoles seeing as though a few Vita games have been a gimped version of their bigger brothers with far less multiplayer capabilities than the PSP. I already preordered it because I enjoy Cod but, I am afraid that the 50 dollar price point is more connected to the name instead of quality.

That would be financial suicide.
Sony has quite a dilemma here.

Nintendo has franchises that will sell regardless of platform (Mario/Mario Kart, Pokemon, Zelda, Smash Bros, etc.), so it's not a huge risk to develop something like a full-fledged MK exclusively for 3DS and market the hell out of it.

Sony, on the other hand, only has one worldwide killer app (Gran Turismo) and it happens to be in the hands of SCE's most inefficient developer. So when they invest tens of millions into games like All-Stars or Last of Us or Beyond or GoW:A, they can't be assured that their return will be many times what they put in.

And so they go with the safe option, and maybe give Vita a sympathy port. Their boldest move so far has been...giving HSG:WI mainline status in Japan :-|

PSP went through this same black sheep identity crisis, but was lucky (in Japan, at least) that MH became a breakout hit. Vita will only survive if it too births an accidental killer app, because it will never get an exclusive on the level (marketing and budget wise) of Last of Us or Beyond. Sony's already proven that by treating Gravity Rush and Unit 13 like stealth releases.

AppleBlade

I just completed Chapter 13 of Gravity Rush - "Children just don't understand" and damn this game is now my GOTY thus far. I also love playing this on my Vita!

iirc, McGrath said he would put Dyad on Vita, if two conditions were met:

1. It can be good on a small screen
2. Sony allows B2GB

According to what I heard, they're already on board for the latter, so it's really just a matter of if he decides the game is fun to play and works on the Vita. Hopefully that will be the case.

If they do decide to port it and it turns out to be not so good on Vita, it'll at least look great.

spannicus

Sony has quite a dilemma here.

Nintendo has franchises that will sell regardless of platform (Mario/Mario Kart, Pokemon, Zelda, Smash Bros, etc.), so it's not a huge risk to develop something like a full-fledged MK exclusively for 3DS and market the hell out of it.

Sony, on the other hand, only has one worldwide killer app (Gran Turismo) and it happens to be in the hands of SCE's most inefficient developer. So when they invest tens of millions into games like All-Stars or Last of Us or Beyond or GoW:A, they can't be assured that their return will be many times what they put in.

And so they go with the safe option, and maybe give Vita a sympathy port. Their boldest move so far has been...giving HSG:WI mainline status in Japan :-|

PSP went through this same black sheep identity crisis, but was lucky (in Japan, at least) that MH became a breakout hit. Vita will only survive if it too births an accidental killer app, because it will never get an exclusive on the level (marketing and budget wise) of Last of Us or Beyond. Sony's already proven that by treating Gravity Rush and Unit 13 like stealth releases.

:( Any one interested in Puddle will be happy to know that Neko Entertainment said that we will be seeing it in a few weeks. :)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Do want

20120712_concept_01.jpg
20120712_concept_02.jpg

20120712_concept_03.jpg
20120712_concept_04.jpg

http://commu.jp.playstation.com/blog/details/20120713_conceptshop.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom