• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

softie

If I understand it correctly...

I don't have to reset the hardware when switching card with the same account.

However, if I want to switch to another say, Japan account owned by me, I will have to reset the hardware. I will hit the same problems he mentioned.

As for wallpaper settings, you'll lose them when you pull out the memcard, even without switching account. To prevent this, put one default/system bubble per screen, the wallpapers should all remain intact. This trick won't work if you switch to a different account though.

That's right. When switching accounts, all persisted data inside the internal flash memory will be deleted.

Pulling out the memory card when the Vita is not completely turned off, is not recommended though. ;-)

Everytime the "state" of the Vita memory card slot changes (i.e. a card was plugged in or out or a card was replaced with another) before turning the Vita on, the "building database" operation is initialized and the whole process of rearranging the bubbles starts again.
The order of the bubbles is never random, it's always in the alphabetical order of the PCSB/PCSF/PCSI/etc. codes. :)

patsu

Pulling out the memory card when the Vita is not completely turned off, is not recommended though. ;-)

If you drop the Vita hard enough, the memcard may jolt out of position for an instant. It's sufficient to cause Vita to reset to defaults, but it will attempt to recover once it notices that the card is still in the slot.

Once I realized that, I went out to buy a traveling case. It's too scary to drop a naked Vita on concrete floor, or tarmac.

Mzo

You won't lose trophy-, near-, settings-information (persisted into internal memory) when switching cards, unless you do a factory reset.
Does taking out the memory card while the system is turned on force it to do a factory reset?

I definitely lost all my trophy and Near data, but I never initiated a factory reset myself. How would the system know that the new, empty memory card has my PSN account on it?

Sol1dus

Does taking out the memory card while the system is turned on force it to do a factory reset?

I definitely lost all my trophy and Near data, but I never initiated a factory reset myself. How would the system know that the new, empty memory card has my PSN account on it?

Just put in a game that you have trophies for and you'll see that the trophies are still there. Unless you didn't sync them.

What's retro city rampage and will I buy it? (How much?)

--

Apparently drinkbox is putting Mutant Blobs Attack on PC/Steam; I will have to buy a second copy and then gift it to all my friends.

softie

If you drop the Vita hard enough, the memcard may jolt out of position for an instant. It's sufficient to cause Vita to reset to defaults, but it will attempt to recover once it notices that the card is still in the slot.

Once I realized that I went out to buy a traveling case. It's too scary to drop a naked Vita on concrete floor, or tarmac.

I only dropped the Vita once in standby, but it wasn't a huge drop, so there were no signs of any resets. But yeah a drop from a certain hight might cause the Vita to do strange things. ;-)

Well I've never taken out the memcard while the system was turned on or in standby yet, so I can't really tell you what exactly to expect when doing so. I can only tell you that if you switch memcards while the Vita is turned off, you won't lose any data except for some of the wallpaper/bubble placements if no precautions were made. :)

PSN data is always stored inside the internal flash memory, it's not on your card.

patsu

I definitely lost all my trophy and Near data, but I never initiated a factory reset myself.

Hmmm... I remember more details now.

It will force Vita to rebuild the database. That's why we lost our custom settings.

I'm not exactly sure if it's equivalent to a factory reset. I vaguely remember I retained my PSN info, so may be that's the difference. If you take out the memcard while it's being accessed, Vita will rebuild the memcard database (instead of reseting to factory defaults). Your info in the internal Flash memory remains intact.

How would the system know that the new, empty memory card has my PSN account on it?

It keeps your PSN info in its internal Flash, and will try to reconcile the info with the stored data on the memcard (via some security operations).

Mzo

Just put in a game that you have trophies for and you'll see that the trophies are still there. Unless you didn't sync them.
What I meant was that all my local game data, including trophies, were all gone. I had to play all 9 of my existing games to create trophy data in the system and then sync to the server to update my trophy list back to what it used to be. Just super annoying.

OK, it sounds like the Near and trophy reset may have happened because I took the memory card out while the system was in standby and not all the way off.

patsu

What I meant was that all my local game data, including trophies, were all gone. I had to play all 9 of my existing games to create trophy data in the system and then sync to the server to update my trophy list back to what it used to be. Just super annoying.

OK, it sounds like the Near and trophy reset may have happened because I took the memory card out while the system was in standby and not all the way off.

Your game data are not gone. They are still there on the card (unless the game save is corrupted).

If you sync'ed your trophy data before the incident, your trophy data is still intact on the server. Vita only keeps the most recent 100 trophies. In a rebuilt Vita, it has no way to know which 100 trophies are the most recent, so it will pull them based on what games you reopen.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Need to go down in price. :/

Not really. All the varieties of genre, music, and style put into the game don't come cheap. If they all play well, it's a game very deserving of it's price.

Even more for Vita + PS3 owners, as the game will support the "Buy 1, get Both" deal between the 2 systems.

softie

Do I lose anything when I delete a game bubble (apart from the bubble)?

It depends.
Is it a bubble associated with a Vita game on a Vita card? If yes, does the game save on memcard or directly onto the Vita card?
If onto Vita card --> put the Vita card out of the Vita, then delete the bubble, you won't lose anything
If onto memcard --> you'll lose everything (savedata and DLC)

Is it a DL-game (Vita/PSP/Mini)?
You'll lose everything. Game+savedata+DLC.

I'll recommend to backup at least your save files before deleting a bubble.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
It depends.
Is it a bubble associated with a Vita game on a Vita card? If yes, does the game save on memcard or directly onto the Vita card?
If onto Vita card --> put the Vita card out of the Vita, then delete the bubble, you won't lose anything

again,Softie-sama sensei is great as always with his unlimited Vita knowledge no jutsu.

archnemesis put this in the op.

It depends.

Seems it also deletes downloaded DLC too.
I had to play magic delete save stuff with UMvC3 and was forced to delete the bubble after clearing the save data from in game. When I deleted the bubble, it deleted my shuma/jill/costume pack downloads as well.

softie

There are games that save on the cart? i thought everyone saved to the memory card

Yes, there are some like Army CoH, Dynasty Warriors, F1, etc.

again,Softie-sama sensei is great as always with his unlimited Vita knowledge no jutsu.

archnemesis put this in the op.

You're welcome! ;)

Seems it also deletes downloaded DLC too.
I had to play magic delete save stuff with UMvC3 and was forced to delete the bubble after clearing the save data from in game. When I deleted the bubble, it deleted my shuma/jill/costume pack downloads as well.

Yes, all data that is stored on the memcard is directly coupled to the bubble. If the bubble is deleted, all data is gone. Only data on a Vita game card can be preserved, if it's not plugged in.

There is also a way to get rid of DLC by copying to PC/Mac, delete contents inside DLC folder and copying it back to the Vita. So data is not really that tightly coupled, but the Vita just doesn't let you manage stuff except the bubble.

oldmario

It depends.

There are games that save on the cart? i thought everyone saved to the memory card

test_account

XP-39C²
Something has gone wrong with my Montezumas Blitz. Yesterday for some reason every time I touched 'Play' it credited me with 1 heart and 300 crystals for being away for a day. Then if I selected Cancel and pressed Play again it would give me another heart and 300 crystals. It would work about 5-6 times in a row then the game would play. After the round it would do the same again.

Today when I went to play it did the same, only this time it says I've been away for two days so it gives me 2 Hearts and 600 crystals, I can accumulate around 3000 crystals on the title screen before starting a round.

Also, keep in mind, that because I've 'been away', each round I play I get double XP too, so I've been leveling up quite fast (Was about level 65 yesterday when I discovered this problem).

Hear is an image, note the heart count (Crystals aren't too much as I've spending them will nilly on renting the power ups).

http://i.imgur.com/evKNv.jpg
I got that bug today as well. I turned off my Vita to charge it. When i turned it on again, it didnt work anymore :\ At least i managed to get get about 100 lifes and about 30.000 crystals :)

EDIT: Speaking about this game, how do people get those sick high scores? My record (got it today) is about 13.3 million. But the 1st place on the leaderboard has like 1 billion point.

AzerPhire

Haven't played my Vita since about April, has anything good come out (Besides Gravity Rush as I just picked that up) since then? I am looking to stock up on some games for my vacation.

Levi

Banned
Guy at GameStop let me know Mortal Kombat for Vita is going on sale for 9.99 on the first of Aug. Get over here!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Ah, Vita. Now I remember why I went from a PC-only gamer to having you in my life. Been returning wireless cards (why can't everything be as worry-free as my PCE-N15) and restoring backups for my girlfriend's new PC all day. Christ.

When this is all over, Disgaea 3 binge.

Eusis

When Microsoft decides it wants to. At least until Summer of Arcade is finished :(. Same reason for no Jet set Radio.

Damn simultaneous releases..
It's making me feel like more and more Microsoft simply is not worth bothering with for digital games. It'd be easier to deal with that crap if they didn't feel the need to so painstakingly control releases, especially by holding multiple events that block off an entire month or more. I remember Scott Pilgrim got through, but maybe Ubisoft got an exception made or Microsoft got tighter afterwards, maybe as a direct result? Though there was the fact it was tied in with a movie, and that could probably create a LOT of pressure to not hold the whole thing back and wreck a campaign just for Microsoft's own damn marketing event.

Grisby

Quick question, I take it you have to unlock zone mode events in Wipeout 2048? Want to play them so bad, :(

Edit- Just unlocked one. Doh'.

zroid

Banned
Nah, I'm sold on it since it's buy 1 get 2 versions of the game. :) Unless the game is garbage, but I really doubt it. Looking forward to the Teenage mutant ninja turtles bomb disarming+mario bros 1 fused together underwater levels. :D

I played RCR a bit a couple months ago (the Vita version, in fact). It's pretty rad! I don't expect it to disappoint.

kitzkozan

I played RCR a bit a couple months ago (the Vita version, in fact). It's pretty rad! I don't expect it to disappoint.

Me neither, as the creators seems to have a firm grasp of that good ole school gaming. The challenge is mixing all these mechanics from so many different games into a cohesive whole as it could easily become a huge mess (there's gameplay mechanics from GTA 1 & 2, underwater stages from TMNT/Mario bros, the super leaf power up from mario bros 3+star which make you invincible, over the top stages from Contra/Ikari warriors and Smash TV, bionic commando, etc) .

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Some more pr0n for you guys. I seriously can't get over how freaking gorgeous this system is. I find the PS3 and the slim counterpart, along with the PSP Go to be pretty ugly systems. But I'm glad to see that Sony still has it in them to create instantly classic designs when they really apply themselves.

And not only does it look good; but it's so well built and intuitive, along with a "no expense spared" kind of feeling. The finish is smooth, the buttons tactile, the joysticks a joy (for a handheld), the buttons along the edge (volume, power) feel solid, the glossy finish of the start and select buttons feel like glass under your palm/thumb, the back touchpad is silky smooth and the X/Square/Triangle/Circle patter on the back is a gorgeous touch. The shoulder buttons have a satisfying click. The sound is loud and clear. The cartridge-removal covers are sturdy. And of course, the screen is fantastic.

I still can't get over how awful the jaggies are on non-native games; and it really is stupid we're playing handheld games at less than their native-res. And jaggies on the home screen is kinda pathetic, IMO. But, considering the whole package, it's a wonderful piece of kit.

7671991446_44d66d9e94_c.jpg

7672011886_aa0be1aa0f_c.jpg

7671508518_c798293674_c.jpg

7672003544_275b391793_c.jpg

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Lovely photos.

Some more pr0n for you guys. I seriously can't get over how freaking gorgeous this system is. I find the PS3 and the slim counterpart, along with the PSP Go to be pretty ugly systems. But I'm glad to see that Sony still has it in them to create instantly classic designs when they really apply themselves.

Just wait for the Vita revision.Sony might give us something super ugly with slide sticks like the prototype one

1rMvS.jpg

VanWinkle

And not only does it look good; but it's so well built and intuitive, along with a "no expense spared" kind of feeling. The finish is smooth, the buttons tactile, the joysticks a joy (for a handheld), the buttons along the edge (volume, power) feel solid, the glossy finish of the start and select buttons feel like glass under your palm/thumb, the back touchpad is silky smooth and the X/Square/Triangle/Circle patter on the back is a gorgeous touch. The shoulder buttons have a satisfying click. The sound is loud and clear. The cartridge-removal covers are sturdy. And of course, the screen is fantastic.

I still can't get over how awful the jaggies are on non-native games; and it really is stupid we're playing handheld games at less than their native-res. And jaggies on the home screen is kinda pathetic, IMO. But, considering the whole package, it's a wonderful piece of kit.

*great Vita pictures*

You went too far with those ones, my friend. They look far too good.

joe2187

Banned
I finally decided to get a Vita, I'm deciding on going to grab one on my next paycheck so help me figure this out.

I have some questions: (some of them are stupid but meh)

Is 3G worth it? what are my options?
I would like to have a large memory card, are there alternatives? Prices?
Protection, What kind of cases, or covers?
Is there any way to extend the battery life?
Should I wait for the Holidays?
What is the one game you would sell me on the system?

Grinchy

Banned
In earlier threads, I noticed a couple people talking about their face buttons becoming "mushy" for lack of a better word. Is this happening for anyone anymore? I notice that my X button has become quite mushy, but the other buttons remain clicky.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I finally decided to get a Vita, I'm deciding on going to grab one on my next paycheck so help me figure this out.

I have some questions: (some of them are stupid but meh)
Is 3G worth it? what are my options?
3G is pointless, get a wi-fi one.

I would like to have a large memory card, are there alternatives? Prices?
only Sony vita overpriced memory cards, 4GB=$15 8Gb= $30,16GB=$50 ,32Gb=$80

Protection, What kind of cases, or covers?
Just get a solid case, no need for screen protector.

Is there any way to extend the battery life?
change the background colors to black(it's OLED way),turn off the store Music,Use a Headphone instead of the vita speakers.

or get external charger

Should I wait for the Holidays?

well there is possible price cut announcement at Gamescom next month.

What is the one game you would sell me on the system

Gravity Rush

3G is pointless, get a wi-fi one.

i used to think that but after realizing that every single wifi hotspot is password locked (unless you live near a government free wifi), i have to say that the 3G is worth something

(albeit probably not worth the monthly fee that ATT is charging for 3G data)

Agree on most points, but I'll say that while the shoulders feel nice, the actual contact point doesn't seem that reliable. A few times in MGS2 where I've been going into first person (hold down R button) and then it's flickered between first and third person while I'm holding it down because I'm not activating the contact just right...

And then there's the Select and Start buttons... I really miss how they were on my PSP 2000. I know they didn't want to spoil the clean area around the touch screen, and they made them very clicky and flush with the surface so that you didn't accidentally press them with the new touch inputs and right stick so close, but it has made them quite a bit more annoying to use. In games where I want to hit start to quickly retry a challenge over and over, it's much worse than PSP. The start button is awkwardly placed and really stiff.

It is unreasonable to expect native res 3D rendering on a modern handheld. There has been a push for super high PPI for 2D purposes, and the 3D capabilities fall way short.

And it's interesting that you say non-native makes bad jaggies, suggest that native res games is the solution, and then point out the jaggies of the bubbles. The bubbles are native res, and you're still not satisfied. So actually what you're suggesting is that all games should be native and have tons of AA too... which is even more unreasonable...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom