• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR2K

Banned
Finished Uncharted, good god do I hate touching the screen. Burns my fingertips, no wonder Nintendo designated a seperate screen for touch. Overall it was good tech shoocase for the Vita and a solid game, but I'm never going to replay it.

Eusis

Finished Uncharted, good god do I hate touching the screen. Burns my fingertips, no wonder Nintendo designated a seperate screen for touch. Overall it was good tech shoocase for the Vita and a solid game, but I'm never going to replay it.
Yeah, really glad I rented it. And I like the idea of being able to us BOTH stylus and finger though, but it doesn't really seem like you can easily meld the two unless you go with wacom-style tablets, fat tipped ones, or go to hell with it and let you touch a resistive screen anyway.

joe2187

Banned
3G is pointless, get a wi-fi one.

only Sony vita overpriced memory cards, 4GB=$15 8Gb= $30,16GB=$50 ,32Gb=$80

Just get a solid case, no need for screen protector.

change the background colors to black(it's OLED way),turn off the store Music,Use a Headphone instead of the vita speakers.

or get external charger

well there is possible price cut announcement at Gamescom next month.

Gravity Rush

Thanks for the answers, guess I'll be waiting till thanksgiving anyway

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Agree on most points, but I'll say that while the shoulders feel nice, the actual contact point doesn't seem that reliable. A few times in MGS2 where I've been going into first person (hold down R button) and then it's flickered between first and third person while I'm holding it down because I'm not activating the contact just right...

And then there's the Select and Start buttons... I really miss how they were on my PSP 2000. I know they didn't want to spoil the clean area around the touch screen, and they made them very clicky and flush with the surface so that you didn't accidentally press them with the new touch inputs and right stick so close, but it has made them quite a bit more annoying to use. In games where I want to hit start to quickly retry a challenge over and over, it's much worse than PSP. The start button is awkwardly placed and really stiff.

It is unreasonable to expect native res 3D rendering on a modern handheld. There has been a push for super high PPI for 2D purposes, and the 3D capabilities fall way short.

And it's interesting that you say non-native makes bad jaggies, suggest that native res games is the solution, and then point out the jaggies of the bubbles. The bubbles are native res, and you're still not satisfied. So actually what you're suggesting is that all games should be native and have tons of AA too... which is even more unreasonable...

I haven't had the system long enough to notice the shoulder buttons. That's disappointing to hear. So far most of my time has been with Gravity Rush, where you just quickly tap a shoulder button to "fly". It hasn't given me any problems; but I'll definitely be paying attention when running through MGS.

As for the Start/Select buttons, I can certainly understand your criticisms. But for me, I've never found myself caring where such a button is placed, so long as I can't accidentally hit it when playing a game. Since they're not "main" action buttons, I don't mind re-adjusting really quick when need-be.

Moving onto the jaggies; yes, you're right; I probably wouldn't be entirely satisfied unless there was some AA; and I agree, that'd be asking way too much. But with that said, games like Gravity Rush play great, have wonderful art, and stay at a good clip. I know there's a compromise that has to be made; but I just can't get over how terrible the aliasing is in the game. I mean, there are parts where a NPCs face just looks like a garbled mess of pixels... you can't even make out eyes/nose/mouth. In a game like Uncharted - which looks amazing - again, the non-native res is a MASSIVE (In my opinion) visual hit.

I'm very much someone that will turn down every single setting imaginable in my PC games before dropping from my native monitor resolution. And if I get to that point, I honestly lose interest in evening playing that game. So I know I'm pickier than most. A lot of customers won't care. But for me, at least, it's very disappointing.

Sol1dus

I just watched IGN's review of Resident Evil Revelations. Man that game looks so bad. I don't usually like to go against a game solely on its graphics but they're pretty fugly.

I hope Capcom gives the Vita some Resident Evil. Though it'll probably be a Resident Evil 4 port. :p

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I just watched IGN's review of Resident Evil Revelations. Man that game looks so bad. I don't usually like to go against a game solely on its graphics but they're pretty fugly.

I hope Capcom gives the Vita some Resident Evil. Though it'll probably be a Resident Evil 4 port. :p

I have the game, and I gotta defend it. Is it as sexy looking as a native-res Vita game? No, not at all. But the lighting, character models, textures, effects, and overall look are pretty damn solid. It's not breathtaking or anything, but it's certainly not "fugly."

DR2K

Banned

Revelations with 3D on looks better than a majority of Vita games.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE

I haven't seen IGN's review, but the game (or at least the demo) looks really amazing on the 3DS, especially with the 3D. But agreed, I'd love to see Resident Evil on Vita, even if it's just a port of RE4 HD.

Sol1dus

I have the game, and I gotta defend it. Is it as sexy looking as a native-res Vita game? No, not at all. But the lighting, character models, textures, effects, and overall look are pretty damn solid. It's not breathtaking or anything, but it's certainly not "fugly."

Then its probably how stretched out it is, because what the review showed was not good at all.

How does it control though?

Grisby

As others have Revelations, especially with the 3D off (provides a smooth looking picture), looks really good. Some of the lighting they use dazzles me at times.

Kid Icarus is still the best graphics player I've seen on the 3DS though, even if the game is mediocre.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

well It bombed on the super popular handheld,Yeah Capcom will like to put another one on the not popular handheld.

I guess Resident Evil fans are on handheld.

But now if they revive Mega Man Legends 3 and Dead Phoenix for handhelds that will be awesome.
lololololololololololololololololololz

WatTsu

Guy at GameStop let me know Mortal Kombat for Vita is going on sale for 9.99 on the first of Aug. Get over here!

Not gonna lie, I've bought the console version twice but I'll probably get it again on Vita if I can get it for $10. Did the Gamestop guy say this was going to be an advertised deal? I ask only because my local store doesn't have any copies and if it's an advertised deal they'll probably restock it.

OmegaZero

I would totally lap up a RE4 port for the Vita. Don't even joke about that. :(

And RE:Revelaitons looks almost as good as the average 3D Vita game. More games need to take advantage of the Vita's power.

How does it control though?

With the standard 3DS, it controls sort of like RE4, except with the ability to strafe.
With the CPP, it becomes more intuitive and easier to play, but less nostalgic.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Sony need to release PlayStation Mobile asap.not only to give Vita some apps but because the PlayStation certified announced devices are already out and dead (Sony S,Xperia Play,HTC One V) more months and no one ( Customers and Manufacturers) will ever care about PlayStation Mobile

And RE:Revelaitons looks almost as good as the average 3D Vita game. More games need to take advantage of the Vita's power.

More game need to be on the thing first.

Uncharted GA,Gravity Rush(open world that run smoothly on it) VT4(almost a perfect console) tell that Vita can do amazing things but sadly the big developers just don't want to touch it.

Koyuga

Lovely photos.

Just wait for the Vita revision.Sony might give us something super ugly with slide sticks like the prototype one

1rMvS.jpg

I want this. Or if they give it a slideout keyboard or something. I always wanna slide the screen up on my Vita...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I want this. Or if they give it a slideout keyboard or something. I always wanna slide the screen up on my Vita...

Slide design will kill the real analogue sticks,the slide nub/sticks are total garbage,and for a "gaming" system you need to play and enjoy and not to suffers from crappy controls, the playability and game enjoyment is more important than making the thing transform just for the sake of it.

MarkusRJR

So I'm doing a play-through of all of the Persona games and I'm trying to decide which to play it on: PSP Go or PS Vita? With the PSP Go I have the more comfortable form factor (plus it's the best looking PS hardware ever) and the ability to use component cables. On the Vita I have the better screen and the ability to have Persona 4 on it (so I'll be used to the Vita by then plus have all save files together in case I want to NG+ them). What does GAF have to say on this issue?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I'm scared to post Vita photos here, because all my wallpapers are extremely Nintendo-y :p

I don't see any thing wrong with that.

PSP Go I have the more comfortable form factor (plus it's the best looking PS hardware ever)

wah...wat? :|

and the ability to use component cables.

PSP games look like crap on TV anyway

What does GAF have to say on this issue?

I'd say play them on for Vita

VanWinkle

Sorry to take a while, but here are some pics -

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a59/Mattie0481/b158e970.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a59/Mattie0481/3a25200e.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a59/Mattie0481/dc3c806f.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a59/Mattie0481/49071337.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a59/Mattie0481/d3994795.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a59/Mattie0481/273787d9.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Nice, man!

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
So I'm doing a play-through of all of the Persona games and I'm trying to decide which to play it on: PSP Go or PS Vita? With the PSP Go I have the more comfortable form factor (plus it's the best looking PS hardware ever) and the ability to use component cables. On the Vita I have the better screen and the ability to have Persona 4 on it (so I'll be used to the Vita by then plus have all save files together in case I want to NG+ them). What does GAF have to say on this issue?
I'd go for it on the PSP Go, because I can't imagine that Persona and Persona 2 are going to look much better on the Vita screen and they don't benefit from analog control in the slightest. It would also free up space on your Vita.

MarkusRJR

I'd go for it on the PSP Go, because I can't imagine that Persona and Persona 2 are going to look much better on the Vita screen and they don't benefit from analog control in the slightest. It would also free up space on your Vita.
Space on both my PSP Go and Vita aren't a problem. I have a 16gb memory stick in the PSP Go and a 32gb card in the Vita. My only real concern is if I can copy and transfer save files for Persona 1 + 2 onto my Vita once I finish them on my Go. I'll probably just end up playing Persona 3 on my Vita.

Some more pr0n for you guys. I seriously can't get over how freaking gorgeous this system is. I find the PS3 and the slim counterpart, along with the PSP Go to be pretty ugly systems. But I'm glad to see that Sony still has it in them to create instantly classic designs when they really apply themselves.

And not only does it look good; but it's so well built and intuitive, along with a "no expense spared" kind of feeling. The finish is smooth, the buttons tactile, the joysticks a joy (for a handheld), the buttons along the edge (volume, power) feel solid, the glossy finish of the start and select buttons feel like glass under your palm/thumb, the back touchpad is silky smooth and the X/Square/Triangle/Circle patter on the back is a gorgeous touch. The shoulder buttons have a satisfying click. The sound is loud and clear. The cartridge-removal covers are sturdy. And of course, the screen is fantastic.

I still can't get over how awful the jaggies are on non-native games; and it really is stupid we're playing handheld games at less than their native-res. And jaggies on the home screen is kinda pathetic, IMO. But, considering the whole package, it's a wonderful piece of kit.

7671991446_44d66d9e94_c.jpg

7672011886_aa0be1aa0f_c.jpg

7671508518_c798293674_c.jpg

7672003544_275b391793_c.jpg

The system is quite premium in feel and build. I love your "spared no expense" comment, thoroughly reminds me of old John Hammond and Jurassic Park. My favorite book and movie ^_^

patsu

I have a small case for my Vita and MacBookAir. The MBA has sensitive data, so it's never out of my sight. The Vita goes into the same case/bag. ^_^

For road trips, I just put my Vita in the glovebox.

I'm scared to post Vita photos here, because all my wallpapers are extremely Nintendo-y :p

Nothing wrong with that. I have 20 3DS games, love me some Nintendo, especially the 3DS as a whole. I'm extremely anticipating the new XL next month.

Nintendo, quite reminds me of a hopelessly adorable guy...who watches cartoons while eating cereal on a Sunday evening. He'll make the crazy uncle laugh, he'll gain 10, 20 or 30 lbs., but you won't mind. He might wear neon suspenders to the big job interview, too. He looks a little silly, but it's hard to resist smiling when you're around him. He can't keep a deeply serious conversation going, but for all the "apparent" lack of brain - his true genius lies in his charm, his creativity: you can't help but love his silly, fat ass....

...That said, I'm learning to fall back in love with Sony, but it's a colder relationship. Sony's that high maintenance guy (I'm gay ^_^), quite posh and polished - worldly, affluently poised, if a bit pretentious. Beneath all of the surface sheen, lies an oft tardy and disorganized personality who hasn't had his shit sorted. Sony, as we call him - likes fluttering about - naive to reality; believing his own confidence and perspective to be the sole truth. One can't help but admire his tenacity and steely resolve....even while questioning his self destructive, absent minded decisions.

Pardon my weird metaphors for both companies....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom