• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.
played MGS 2 and 3 recently. Was a joy to play on this system. Your gonna have a blast

Do they visually hold up on the Vita? Look good I mean.
I played MGS3 already and it was wonderful. As far as visuals and controls go it's easily my favorite version of the game ever (PS3 has a better frame-rate and possibly controls but the portability is just too cool), and it makes me that much more excited to get back into 2!

Grinchy

Banned
You shuold just stop playing the game. Games are meant to be enjoyed, the moment it stops being enjoyable, there is really no point in playing.

Oh no way. It's one of my favorite games. I actually love playing it but there are times when it just brings out the rage in me.

You should get P3P. At this price it's easily worth it. I own 3 other versions and I bought it.

I was close, but it wasn't just his bad advice I was making the decision on. I have a ton of games and already think I'll buy P4G in October. I just don't see myself actually beating P3P before then.

I played MGS3 already and it was wonderful. As far as visuals and controls go it's easily my favorite version of the game ever (PS3 has a better frame-rate and possibly controls but the portability is just too cool), and it makes me that much more excited to get back into 2!

Plus transfarring, if you have the option. I desperately want a good price on MGS HD for Vita and Peacewalker so I can take full advantage.

Cornbread78

I'm thinking about starting MGS2 on the Vita later today. Anyone else had a chance to play through that version? I'm kind of hyped just thinking about how beautiful it will look on the glorious Vita screen.

Playing through them now, but stuck on a part and have taken a break. The game looks great on the system!

Mzo

MGS2 looks amazing on the Vita. The only problem I had was touching the back screen with my middle fingers and spreading them apart to tiptoe while holding down R, but once someone suggested that you can also slide your fingers downwards instead of away from each other it felt just fine.

Plus transfarring, if you have the option. I desperately want a good price on MGS HD for Vita and Peacewalker so I can take full advantage.
Yeah, I'm kind of disappointed in the transfarring stuff, actually. I had some Euro Extreme save files on the PS3 that I wanted to pick up from in the Vita version but I was pretty disappointed when I found out that I couldn't earn trophies playing from that save (since it was made pre-patch) and it was no longer available to play from on the PS3. It's pretty cool other than that stuff, though.

Also, it would have been so incredible if they had included an up-resed version of Peacewalker in this collection; it would be absolutely perfect for the Vita. Oh well, I think I'll probably end up playing through that on my PS3.

Do they visually hold up on the Vita? Look good I mean.

Personally I think the look really good. You get low res textures here and there but most of the time I was simply thinking 'I cant believe a game this old looks this good'

Frame rate wise MGS 2 fluxuates from 30 to 60 depending on the section with the rare occasion in a cut scene where it drops lower than 30. MGS 3 is solid 30 fps with a couple of cut scenes it drops a bit lower at points.

Both run and look great as far as im concerned.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
MGS2 looks amazing on the Vita. The only problem I had was touching the back screen with my middle fingers and spreading them apart to tiptoe while holding down R, but once someone suggested that you can also slide your fingers downwards instead of away from each other it felt just fine.
The touch controls in that game (other than item selection in 3) are a bit crazy. I think the lead designer might have been an octopus.

The touch controls in that game (other than item selection in 3) are a bit crazy. I think the lead designer might have been an octopus.

The controls in MGS 2 have always been a bit of a mess in all versions..... but you somehow get used to them and everything else makes up for it.

MGS 2 has touch item selection too which is soo much better.

Tip Toes is actually easy if you pull your fingers down rather than spread them.

The first 30 mins you just have to get your head around the control system as its pretty dated but you get by.

I gotta go back and do snake tales, vr missions and original MG1+2 yet. Will save them for a later date tho prob.

patsu

My Vita has a dent in one side and two scratches on the other.
Both are on the silver plastic bumper, luckily.

Protip: never toss portable handheld videogame devices across a room, no matter how angry you are.

YOU MONSTER

For those who may have missed it buried in Saturday morning, welcome yourselves back to work with one of the first english Dokuro reviews.

It sounds like if you like puzzle-platformers that this game is right there and maybe even above the likes of Braid or Limbo.

I have lost track of the releases. Is Dokuro coming to US ? If so, when ?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I have lost track of the releases. Is Dokuro coming to US ? If so, when ?

it's not confirmed for US yet iirc,but the game is in English,there are multiple languages in it already French, German, Italian, Japanese,Spanish...ect(they won't do all that just because) so yeah they will most likely release it in the US but no one know when right now.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Thinking of selling my Vita, I was initially hoping it was going to have a host of decent Indy games on it akin to 'Mutant Blobs Attack' but sadly that doesn't seem to be the case atm and 'Playstation Mobile' seems to be dragging its heals, and truth be told I feel dubious at best about that particular venture.

I have to say I'm pretty gutted tbh at how Sony have handled the Vita, I really can't see it's fortunes changing, I boot up the store every week and nothing new appearing, even Nintendo has stuff appearing on the store on a weekly basis, how on earth did Sony get bested by Nintendo on the digital store front?, it bewilders me seriously.

<sigh>

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Thinking of selling my Vita, I was initially hoping it was going to have a host of decent Indy games on it akin to 'Mutant Blobs Attack' but sadly that doesn't seem to be the case atm and 'Playstation Mobile' seems to be dragging its heals, and truth be told I feel dubious at best about that particular venture.

I have to say I'm pretty gutted tbh at how Sony have handled the Vita, I really can't see it's fortunes changing, I boot up the store every week and nothing new appearing, even Nintendo has stuff appearing on the store on a weekly basis, how on earth did Sony get bested by Nintendo on the digital store front?, it bewilders me seriously.

<sigh>

Sell it now before its too late (there is a huge possibility for a price cut at gamescom 2012 next month).

and yeah I agree,software and store wise it's a wasteland. and when Nintendo do a better job on the digital front you should know there is a big problem here.

DR2K

Banned

<sigh>

I sold mine and I'm not too gutted(got most of my money back) for those very reasons. This is shades of PSPGO all over again. For whatever reason Sony has completely dropped the ball on their portables ever since sales for PSP slowed down in the west. If things change I might reconsider, Vita has a lot of potential, but so did the PSPGO.

Although I don't see how Nintendo bested Sony digitally, that company is still in the year 2004.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE

<sigh>
I'm mostly keeping mine for Falcom games and Soul Sacrifice. I've been rather disappointed by this generation's portables--the Vita's been lacking support and I don't like the 3DS hardware, and none of the games that people tout really do much for me. I want so desperately for the Vita to do well, but there isn't much of a reason to think it will.

I wish some of those cool downloadable games would come out already, as they'd shut me up like nothing else could. Thank god Sound Shapes is out in a week.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

<sigh>

3ds had the same situation first months, don't rush, i don't think that there will be a price cut soon.
Playstation mobile is at the 0.99 version, the 1.0 version should be imminent, and the lack of jet set radio, retro city rampage and others is disappointing but they should come soon.
This is the gamefaqs schedule (lacks of little big planet and all the dd only games)

08/07 Sound Shapes
08/28 Madden NFL 13
09/11 Ragnarok Odyssey
09/25 FIFA Soccer 13
10/09 Spy Hunter
10/16 Silent Hill: Book of Memories
10/23 PlayStation All-Stars Battle Ro...
Smart As
Street Fighter X Tekken
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last...
10/30 Assassin's Creed III: Libe...
LEGO The Lord of the Rings
Need for Speed Most Wanted (Cri...
Persona 4: Golden
11/20 Sonic & All-Stars Racing Tr...
03/13 Soul Sacrifice

It doesn't look so bad to me

Sol1dus

<sigh>

I'll buy your games from you. :p

Famassu

<sigh>
Nintendo 3DS didn't even have an online store for many months after its launch and even when it did get it, it was pretty barren for a long, looooong time (I'd say it's still getting games very slowly). The only reason why there's so much content is DSiWare, but Vita has PS Minis to counter those (AND the PSP games and soon PS1 games, whereas Nintendo is still trickling those VC games out too slowly). There are several cool new downloadable releases coming in the next month or so.

Seriously, it just takes a bit of time to get those developers on new platforms. Indie devs usually aren't the first ones to get dev kits but hopefully more & more will and we'll see more games like Tales From Space: MBA. I mean, the TFM:MBA devs are working on a new game for Vita, but games simply don't get made overnight.

Personally, I think it's kinda stupid to get a platform early if you have no patience to get through some droughts now and then. Just play some of your other consoles/handhelds in the meanwhile.

Omlagus

Finally got some time to play some Mutant Blobs Attack last night. Great game so far.

Also tried a bit of Loco Roco for fun. Man, that game looks awesome on the OLED screen!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
If by Color correction you mean PSP Color space, then yes it was OFF. And Bilinear filtering was ON. Looks amazing.

yeah.

I just hope they add some new setting for the Vita's PSP emulator in a future fw update, like 2x anti aliasing (it's should be an easy task for Vita's CPU and GPU I guess) and more texture filtering options.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Can one buy a PS Vita charger separately?

I can't for the life of me find my charger and I got a bunch of games to review... =/

yes, there is Sony official AC adapter one and other third party too.

if you are going for Sony one remember they sell it without the weird looking USB cable(yeah it's super lame, so you will have to buy the cable too if you lost that too) but most third party one give you the USB cable with the ac adapter/charger.

zroid

Banned
lol... cable sold separately from adapter :/

I would just buy the cable then, I don't even use the adapter. USB charging 4 life.

I'm not sure I'm in love with my current Hori silicone case; what's the line on the hard plastic shells? Are any of them pretty good? Recommendations?

Also, how's LEGO Harry Potter 5-7?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
lol... cable sold separately from adapter :/

I would just buy the cable then, I don't even use the adapter. USB charging 4 life.
If you ever wanted to sell the thing you'd have to buy an adapter, so it's better just to get it all in one. I've been using the Kindle adapter though as it's small and discrete. I don't understand why all other USB charger adapters are huge.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Lunch and Totobeni what are your psn tags?

Mine is Kyo899
Mine's domify. I'll add you.

Edit: Or not. :( Send me a friend request Kyon. It's saying that I can't add any more friends, but I'm positive that the limit is not 19.

branny

Two things:

1. Now that I think about it, I don't believe I've ever been angry enough at a game/opponent before to abuse my controller or system. Maybe it takes more to get me that mad? It's really surprising and entertaining to see all the anecdotes. :p

2. Also, it's difficult for me to understand how some people could part with their Vitas, especially since I love mine so much. It has very much replaced my PSP for me (though not everything is available digitally, unfortunately); having a few PSP games I thoroughly enjoy always available to play on a great screen with nice d-pad/buttons is really all I could ask for at this early stage in the Vita's life.

Beyond that, even if Vita releases as a whole thus far have been a little underwhelming, DJMAX TECHNIKA TUNE, Ragnarok Odyssey, and Persona 4 Golden are some of my most anticipated games this year, easily rivaling my anticipation for TTT2 and DoA5 (which is incredible because TTT2 is looking to be one of the best 3D fighting game releases ever and my love for DoA made me buy a PS2, an Xbox, a 360, and a 3DS just to play it).

If TUNE is a good conversion from its arcade counterparts (I'm worried it won't work well on the Vita's screen and also that songs may suffer from having one less track), it will be a game I return to for years. I know GAF is going gaga over THEATRHYTHM, but I personally think that game has far too many design flaws to be timeless.

Persona 4 is probably my favorite traditional JRPG outside of SRPGs, so I'm obviously excited for an enhanced version of it. I'm worried the extra stuff will bloat it, but at least I know it won't be gimped the same way as P3P.

And Ragnarok Odyssey is made for me--Ragnarok Online is my absolute favorite MMORPG of all time (and I've played around 25~30 radically different MMOs, 7 or 8 of those well over 500 hours each). I can't wait to pump my character full of cards and go nuts with Double Attack and crit numbers flying out of everything. I've gone through the demo a dozen times, clearing every quest both with and without cards equipped by all three available jobs, male and female. I'm so ready.

edit: Kyon still hasn't added me :(

yes, there is Sony official AC adapter one and other third party too.

if you are going for Sony one remember they sell it without the weird looking USB cable(yeah it's super lame, so you will have to buy the cable too if you lost that too) but most third party one give you the USB cable with the ac adapter/charger.
If you have a PSPgo, you can also just use that adapter with the Vita USB cable to save money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom