• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

It's sort of asking for a lot but I really hope that it's the same length as a console equivalent AC game.

So do i, really. The AC missions (for the most part) actually really suit a handheld game (quite short and simple missions most of the time). A nice standard length AC game could work really well.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Insomniac has left such a bad taste in my mouth as of late, I find it difficult to muster up much hype and good will for Full Frontal Assault. A Crack in Time was ace, but since then it seems the series has been losing its way.

Yeah I agree. Hoping they redeem themselves with FFA

Insomniac is so pathetic this generation,mere shell of their former selves,The PS3 Ratchet games were rehashed of the PS2 ones with less charm,worse level design boring weapons and difficulty set for headless monkeys and their Resistance games are soulless and horrible.

And Fuse look so freaking generic. at this point I don't want anything from this awful studio.

So do i, really. The AC missions (for the most part) actually really suit a handheld game (quite short and simple missions most of the time). A nice standard length AC game could work really well.

AC2 is still the best AC games because its missions are shorts and everything was straight to the point,Hope AC3:L get that.

Vita newbie here, I bit on a great deal for a WIFI Vita, Fifa 13, LBP and Uncharted. This also comes with a 4gb stick. I don't have a PS3 or even a PSN account.

Have I done the right thing? I'm still wondering even now, everyone who plays it seem to think it's a great handheld and run rings around the 3DS in terms of technology, but there are others who seem to think it's going to die.. I remember the PSP having a slow start too but that went on for years and year, what's the general opinion here? Are you quite happy to cling on to a "dying" console because its so good, is it really dying at all, or should I have gone the 3DS route. (I didn't because I can't stand that 3D effect and the incredible image quality of the Vita won me over, simple as that).

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Vita newbie here, I bit on a great deal for a WIFI Vita, Fifa 13, LBP and Uncharted. This also comes with a 4gb stick. I don't have a PS3 or even a PSN account.

Have I done the right thing? I'm still wondering even now, everyone who plays it seem to think it's a great handheld and run rings around the 3DS in terms of technology, but there are others who seem to think it's going to die.. I remember the PSP having a slow start too but that went on for years and year, what's the general opinion here? Are you quite happy to cling on to a "dying" console because its so good, is it really dying at all, or should I have gone the 3DS route. (I didn't because I can't stand that 3D effect and the incredible image quality of the Vita won me over, simple as that).

You really shouldn't listen to what others have to say about a system you enjoy using. It's true that Vita sales have been subpar but why would that effect the enjoyment out of what you're getting from the system right now?

I owned a 3DS and a Vita at one point. I simply found many more titles I enjoyed playing on the Vita than I did on the 3DS and thus I sold the damn thing.

The issue with the vita at moment isn't the hardware, the games, anything physical. It's the marketing and public image. Both of which are terrible. You will find a lot of people saying the vita is dying since it: has no games, proven wrong, it has no market, might be niche but it's certainly there, and Sony doesn't care, this might be true.

I don't think it will die and if it does then it will have some amazing games before it does. In the end if the vita has many games you want to play then it was a smart decision :) don't let anyone peer pressure you into thinking otherwise!

Oh, and welcome VitaBro!

Ps : buy mutant blobs attack!

I think it'll last a good run. I'm sure more and more SDK will start adding Vita as a target platform prolonging its life. In fact the machine seems to be currently purposedly underpowered, much like the PSP was on it's first years so it can only get better.

Worst case scenario, the currently announced lineup + psp + psone could last me years.

So enjoy those three excellent games and download some PSN games.

Carl

You bought it, you got a good bargain. Clearly you had some interest in it if you bought it. So don't listen to anyone else. Spend your money how you want. If you are interested in the Vita, open it up, buy Mutant Blobs Attack, and enjoy it.

Plenty of awesome games coming out in the next few months.

The issue with the vita at moment isn't the hardware, the games, anything physical. It's the marketing and public image. Both of which are terrible.

It's really all about price. If it were $100 less or so then it wouldn't be as challenged as it is right now.

Don't let anyone peer pressure you into thinking otherwise!

Oh, and welcome VitaBro!

Ps : buy mutant blobs attack!

This man knows what he's talking about. Listen to him. (Although this in itself is a form of peer pressure as well. Hmmmm...)

It's really all about price. If it were $100 less or so then it wouldn't be as challenged as it is right now.

While I agree, it's not realistic to expect a big price cut yet - Sony can't afford to make such a loss per unit. That's why they are making these great bundles instead. To add value instead if cut price.

This man knows what he's talking about. Listen to him. (Although this in itself is a form of peer pressure as well. Hmmmm...)

Thank you! Though I didn't mean to sound pressuring if I actually did :)

Well.. Here's my worry. The Dreamcast was my favorite system by a mile.. Unfortunately I was burnt with what happened with that in terms of system longevity. Of course I enjoyed it immensely but obviously the short life span left me with a sour taste in my mouth after spending quite a bit on a launch unit. I'm pretty worried about that happening again, but if the 3DS gives me a head ache I thought this would be the way to go. I wouldn't have thought Sony would give up on this without a bit of a fight surely, they didn't give up on the PSP did they.... Hmmmmm I don't know, I'm really worried I've spent over 200 smackers on a dead man walking.. I hope those worries aren't proven to be correct!!

In terms of marketing, I'm seeing more ads and stuff on TV, possibly ramping up for Xmas, so that's positive.

In terms of the machine itself, get a Call of Duty out for Xmas and see how it does then. I bet Little Jimmy would be well up for portable COD...

dsigns1

October is an amazing month for the Vita:

October 2, 2012
New Little Kings Story

October 9, 2012
Spy Hunter
Sunflowers
Retro City Rampage
Dr. Who The Eternity Clock

October 16, 2012
Jet Set Radio
Dokuro

October 18, 2012
Ragnarok Odyssey

October 23, 2012
Virtue's Last Reward
SF vs Tekken
Super Monkey Ball
Orgarhythm

October 30, 2012
Need for Speed - Most Wanted
Lego Lord of Rings
Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
Silent Hill

October 2, 2012
New Little Kings Story

October 9, 2012
Spy Hunter
Sunflowers
Retro City Rampage
Dr. Who The Eternity Clock

October 16, 2012
Jet Set Radio
Dokuro

October 18, 2012
Ragnarok Odyssey

October 23, 2012
Virtue's Last Reward
SF vs Tekken
Super Monkey Ball
Orgarhythm

October 30, 2012
Lego Lord of Rings
Silent Hill

Has that RO date been confirmed?

While I agree, it's not realistic to expect a big price cut yet - Sony can't afford to make such a loss per unit. That's why they are making these great bundles instead. To add value instead if cut price.

Not realistic, unfortunately. But of everything, price is the one thing holding this back the most. Bundles are nice, but to get mass that price has to fall.

Thank you! Though I didn't mean to sound pressuring if I actually did :)

Goading someone into buying Mutant Blobs isn't peer pressure, it's peer support. It's like telling that guy, hey guy, don't drink that water in the gutter. Here, have this bottle of cool, refreshing clean water instead.

New Little Kings Story
Sunflowers
Retro City Rampage
Jet Set Radio
Dokuro

Ragnarok Odyssey
SF vs Tekken
Super Monkey Ball
Orgarhythm

All of the first group are so bought, I think I'll buy one or two from the second group too.

Carl

Well.. Here's my worry. The Dreamcast was my favorite system by a mile.. Unfortunately I was burnt with what happened with that in terms of system longevity. Of course I enjoyed it immensely but obviously the short life span left me with a sour taste in my mouth after spending quite a bit on a launch unit. I'm pretty worried about that happening again, but if the 3DS gives me a head ache I thought this would be the way to go. I wouldn't have thought Sony would give up on this without a bit of a fight surely, they didn't give up on the PSP did they.... Hmmmmm I don't know, I'm really worried I've spent over 200 smackers on a dead man walking.. I hope those worries aren't proven to be correct!!

In terms of marketing, I'm seeing more ads and stuff on TV, possibly ramping up for Xmas, so that's positive.

In terms of the machine itself, get a Call of Duty out for Xmas and see how it does then. I bet Little Jimmy would be well up for portable COD...

It's up to you what you do. There are plenty of great Vita games out already, and great games coming in the next few months. I can't see Sony letting it go easily, anyway.

From a purely "hours of entertainment for price" POV i've enjoyed Vita far more than i was enjoying PS3 at this point in its life.

Also, another fact: I've bought loads of Vita games this year, but only one PS3 game. Used my Vita far more than my PS3 this year.

Dokuro, will be released as a digital PlayStation®Vita system download on the PlayStation®Network on October 16.

Damn. I want it so bad :X So excited.

New Little King's Story (arguable)

Hey hey hey, New Little King's Story is awesome. All the posts of people who've played it/got it love it, including me :) The only downside to the game is the frames dropping here and there~

Orgarhythm, Acquire and Neilo’s upcoming music and real-time strategy rhythm game, will launch for PlayStation Vita via PlayStation Network in North America on October 23 for $29.99, publisher Xseed Games has announced.

neat

Wow, 30$?! With it being in the middle of so many huge games, this niche and awesome looking game is going to have to wait now. Ugh.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
What about November

Call of Duty: BOD
Person 4: Golden
Playstation all-stars battle royale
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
and?

This shovelware will be out in November too(Europe Empire).

51lkOvGtcrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sonic wont be the only blue hedgehog in November.

Yep, I guess they are trying to cash in the whole buy $100 get $20 since probably many will go physical for the big releases.

The thing is, I hate to sound jaded or lame but if it has a platinum trophy .... o0o0o0o, it does. Call me a trophy whore, w/e but I definitely do judge a game on it's feature set, including trophies.

A Vita game with a plat is a lot more enticing to me than one with a partial list, regardless of how good both are. If a game is great but lacks a full list with a plat (like Stardust Delta), I can't help but feel bummed out.

The thing is, I hate to sound jaded or lame but if it has a platinum trophy .... o0o0o0o, it does. Call me a trophy whore, w/e but I definitely do judge a game on it's feature set, including trophies.

A Vita game with a plat is a lot more enticing to me than one with a partial list, regardless of how good both are. If a game is great but lacks a full list with a plat (like Stardust Delta), I can't help but feel bummed out.

You poor thing

happens to me too sometimes. I like collecting trophies. But that doesn't stop me from playing psp or psone games

You want trophies? Get Little Kings Story; everytime I have a session with that game I get two or three trophies.

Hint: buy resistance!

You will know once you spent few weeks with it ;)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Well Carl thread went to that place all Vita threads go to.

Well at least Massa' NFS thread survived,so there is no new era..it was an anomaly I guess,hope we see something like it in the future.

Carl

Well Carl thread went to that place all Vita threads go to.

Well at least Massa' NFS thread survived,so there is no new era..it was an anomaly I guess,hope we see something like it in the future.

Yup, i expected it would do. At least a few people got something out of the thread before it descended into "Vita has no games, hope they port this to PS3".

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Speaking of those odd little PSN titles that North America is missing...

A-Men
Frobisher Says
Top Darts
Wake Up Club

That Putty game wasn't released right?

What else am I missing?

You poor thing

happens to me too sometimes. I like collecting trophies. But that doesn't stop me from playing psp or psone games

I love classic games, don't get me wrong. I just love getting dem trophies.

You want trophies? Get Little Kings Story; everytime I have a session with that game I get two or three trophies.

I have it. Love it. I am getting trophies like every session, I'm just stuck on the Tiki mini boss, I'm being stubborn with my army because I don't want to go all range and I don't seem to be doing much damage even with armor/weapons on all my fighters.

Hint: buy resistance!

I've been wanting to, I love the Resistance games and I know how terrible it was but... going in knowing what to expect, I think I might enjoy it. I've been wanting a decent shooter on my Vita so :\ I've never tried the demo so.

Also, I wish there was an Animal Crossing type game on the Vita.. Fantasy Life on 3DS looks amazing and I remember seeing a PSP series that was similar, where you essentially lived and played in a pseudo-MMO environment like .HACK, although it was a fantasy environment as well. None of them came stateside though from what I remember. Trying to dig up those siliconera pieces about them... Someone prove me wrong and be like "Hey this is coming out!" please ;-;

Coconut

Banned
I love classic games, don't get me wrong. I just love getting dem trophies.

I have it. Love it. I am getting trophies like every session, I'm just stuck on the Tiki mini boss, I'm being stubborn with my army because I don't want to go all range and I don't seem to be doing much damage even with armor/weapons on all my fighters.

I've been wanting to, I love the Resistance games and I know how terrible it was but... going in knowing what to expect, I think I might enjoy it. I've been wanting a decent shooter on my Vita so :\ I've never tried the demo so.

Also, I wish there was an Animal Crossing type game on the Vita.. Fantasy Life on 3DS looks amazing and I remember seeing a PSP series that was similar, where you essentially lived and played in a pseudo-MMO environment like .HACK, although it was a fantasy environment as well. None of them came stateside though from what I remember. Trying to dig up those siliconera pieces about them... Someone prove me wrong and be like "Hey this is coming out!" please ;-;

If you want a decent shooter don't buy Resistence get Unit 13.

What sony should do is animal crossing up a Home like app and actually flesh out a free game from that and try and add in some sort of street pass stuff. Nintendo has fucked up by not milking something like that with the Mii stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom