• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Thinking of getting resistance BS today. Is it really that bad ? I need a shooter for my vita badly.
It is not bad actually. It is just a bit light on content, and it has a budget feel, but then again, you can probably find it at a budget price. Try the demo for a bit if you are unsure. Of course, this being gaf, if a game is not the best thing ever or close to being one, it is immediately called out as being trash.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Guys, trust me, not only dinasty warriors next is a beautiful game(i'm not a musou lover), but it's the real showcase of vita's capabilities! Yes, more than little big planet, gravity rush etc. DWN was made with vita in mind, all the additions were meant to add variety(infinity blade like duels, ambushes of various types, runs on horse, writing etc) and fun to the gameplay, they are not annoying gimmicks.
Buy it because it's a beautiful game full of contents and with a varied gameplay, we need to support people who put so much effort in a vita game.

BibiMaghoo

It's not THAT bad. But get Unit 13 instead.

My problem with this is the lack of competitive multiplayer. The demo was ok though.

It is not bad actually. It is just a bit light on content, and it has a budget feel, but then again, you can probably find it at a budget price. Try the demo for a bit if you are unsure. Of course, this being gaf, if a game is not the best thing ever or close to being one, it is immediately called out as being trash.

I was going to try the demo, but its 3Gb and I only have a 4Gb card :(

I can get it new for 20, so would not be full price. Is it a competent shooter, and how is the multiplayer ?

My problem with this is the lack of competitive multiplayer. The demo was ok though.

I was going to try the demo, but its 3Gb and I only have a 4Gb card :(

I can get it new for 20, so would not be full price. Is it a competent shooter, and how is the multiplayer ?

The multiplayer is fun, when you can get it to work. You'll spend a lot of time in lobbies and when you get in there's a chance you'll be locked in place and won't be able to move, dying over and over again as a bug lets people farm you for XP.

The campaign is pretty average and forgettable, but it's good practice for the MP.

And it controls great, everything else isn't as good.

Amory

Thinking of getting resistance BS today. Is it really that bad ? I need a shooter for my vita badly.

I actually had a good time with it! I think that game gets shit on way too much. And I still fire up the multiplayer every now and again before bed and it's always easy to find a game.

Ken

Guys, trust me, not only dinasty warriors next is a beautiful game(i'm not a musou lover), but it's the real showcase of vita's capabilities! Yes, more than little big planet, gravity rush etc. DWN was made with vita in mind, all the additions were meant to add variety(infinity blade like duels, ambushes of various types, runs on horse, writing etc) and fun to the gameplay, they are not annoying gimmicks.
Buy it because it's a beautiful game full of contents and with a varied gameplay, we need to support people who put so much effort in a vita game.

They're ok the first couple of times but after awhile they get annoying.

BibiMaghoo

Thanks vita gaf.

I think I can put up with some bugs if the shooting is fun.

It's kind of a pain in the ass owning a vita. Ive always been a one platform guy, so having to split my purchases now and decide if to get a vita or ps3 game, when I have money to do so.

A vita game today means no xcom till next week. But damit, I want to kill people on my vita. Not bots, actual people lol

Sid

I'll follow your advice because I got this today:

So excited! Charging it right now, but can't wait to download LBP :D
Cool,what other games did you get?

Thanks vita gaf.

I think I can put up with some bugs if the shooting is fun.

It's kind of a pain in the ass owning a vita. Ive always been a one platform guy, so having to split my purchases now and decide if to get a vita or ps3 game, when I have money to do so.

A vita game today means no xcom till next week. But damit, I want to kill people on my vita. Not bots, actual people lol
Try the demo though it's 3gb,the game is pretty fun especially the single player.

UberTag

OK, we really need 64GB+ memory cards.

My 32GB is now full, and I had to delete some demos and movies to load more games. First world problems... :eek:)
Welcome to the club! I've been in that situation for about the past two months.
Had to restrict myself to a single screen of VITA games at all times to have enough everyday manageable space.
The rest have been backed up on my PC via frequent Content Manager use.

image.php

Dude, I can't stop staring at your avatar. She really wants to eat that slice. Look how big her mouth is getting! Is that pecan/pumpkin/apple pie or quiche?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

What? No, they succeed to add variety and fun to the classic musou gameplay, furthermore they are quick and easy little events, i don't understand how they can get annoying. If a game like infinity blade based its success on the duels i don't understand how the same duels could be annoying when they are only a little part of the gameplay.

MarkusRJR

I figured out the reason my clock was off was because I had daylight savings time off when it should have been on. I feek really dumb now.

A bit off topic but... I'm having a major nostalgia moment right now. I charged my PSP Go and got instantly reminded of my old best friend who convinced me to buy it. I used to watch him play CoD and Halo all the time (he and one of his friends played in MLG tournaments and were pretty good) and he got me back into gaming once he realised I only really played Animal Crossing and Pokemon. He dragged me out to the mall and said he's not leaving until I bought something for myself. I ended up buying a PSP Go and downloaded Persona 3 Portable once I got to his house. Persona 3 blew my mind and I bought a ton of games since. I haven't talked to him in like a year (graduated high school and a lot happened) ane it's kind of making me sad. All of these feels. :(

You can clear your CC info after the setup, so put it in and after that delete it. Also turn off automatic renewal, so you can pay with your PSN account if you want to renew the subscription. :)
So if I do this nothing will get charged to the credit card and I can pay using my PSN wallet? I don't see the option in the store so it must be in the app itself?

Oh and ignore any typos if you can. I typed this all on my Vita and this touch screen is way too sensitive and there's like zero autocorrect. :p

Wonko_C

Welcome to the club! I've been in that situation for about the past two months.
Had to restrict myself to a single screen of VITA games at all times to have enough everyday manageable space.
The rest have been backed up on my PC via frequent Content Manager use.

image.php

Dude, I can't stop staring at your avatar. She really wants to eat that slice. Look how big her mouth is getting! Is that pecan/pumpkin/apple pie or quiche?

It's cake. And the avatar is a lie. Humanoid weapons don't eat. :p Or are they able to, they just don't need to?

(yeah, I just played Portal)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I don't call Resistance BS trash but it is mediocre. If someone isn't a Vita-only owner then I'd never recommend R:BS. Like I said before, only reason I Platinumed it was because I got it for free from an event I went to and I thought I should at least give it a go since it was sitting on my shelf.

UberTag

It's cake. And the avatar is a lie. Humanoid weapons don't eat. :p

(Or are they able to, they just don't need to?
But it involves cake! How could something involving cake be a lie? I don't know what to believe in any more.

FYI, I'm already weeping on the inside at the fact that Gravity Rush will inevitably be snubbed in the Best Original Score category in all of the end-of-year gaming critical awards.

Ken

What? No, they succeed to add variety and fun to the classic musou gameplay, furthermore they are quick and easy little events, i don't understand how they can get annoying. If a game like infinity blade based its success on the duels i don't understand how the same duels could be annoying when they are only a little part of the gameplay.

I got bored of Infinity Blade after 30 minutes. Maybe I just haven't embraced the future of "Tap these soldiers until they die" when all I want to do is press xxyxxyxxy.

Well, Resistance managed to throw away one problem for another - bugs for EXPLOITS.

People seem to be able to kill people from stupid long ranges with shotguns (20 feet or so away with no warning, even after the patch which was supposed to reduce their effectiveness), there's people jumping to normally unreachable areas during survival mode which you can't hit without a grenade, and somehow some people are managing to move before the round even starts which is absolute BS (lol) since they can either get to those spots or rush the enemy team and smash them to pieces.

Iacobellis

Well, Resistance managed to throw away one problem for another - bugs for EXPLOITS.

People seem to be able to kill people from stupid long ranges with shotguns, there's people jumping to unreachable areas during survival mode, and somehow some people are managing to move before the round even starts which is absolute BS.

Jumping to restricted areas was always possible. Just shoot one sniper rifle bullet at the place you want to get to, then jump immediately after. This causes you to double jump, so it's not going to work on every spot in the game.

Due to my obsession with DayZ I've been thinking - some sort of hardcore survival game like that would be well suited for the vita. Have a small open world and when you die that's it. You could play an entire life on th train or something

Due to my obsession with DayZ I've been thinking - some sort of hardcore survival game like that would be well suited for the vita. Have a small open world and when you die that's it. You could play an entire life on th train or something

It would be cool if ZombiU showed up on Vita. They'd probably call it ZombiLife :p

erpg

GAF parliamentarian

I'm still hoping for The Binding of Isaac to make its way to the Vita. That'd be fun.

LuchaShaq

Banned
He did say at one point that Sony were really interested in it... Never heard anything after that, though.

He couldn't even be bothered to have controller support for the PC version or any sort of console version.

I would be SHOCKED if it ever came to the vita.

Shinriji

Playing a lot of Wipeout 2048, but I am thinking that the game is pretty....well, easy. Elite pass on many events without retrying, going to Zone 45 on my first go. And so on. Maybe the 2050 tracks and the A Class will make the game more challenging.

Or maybe I miss the frustration of getting first on Sol 2 Elite on Wipeout HD.

Spy Hunter is in no way worth $40, but i got it from gamefly and have found the game to be pretty fun. I recommend renting it and/or grabbing it out of a bargain bin in 6 months.

It's a B-game in every sense of the word, but you drive fast and blow crap up. I kinda like it.

zroid

Banned
I'm still hoping for The Binding of Isaac to make its way to the Vita. That'd be fun.

I would actually play it too! I have at least two PC copies just sitting around collecting virtual dust because I'd rather have it on a handheld. Such a shame that 3DS port idea fell through.

Sony should step up.

Derrick01

Banned

I want DWN but let's not beat around the bush. The touch duels are the definition of pointless gimmick. They add no depth and they don't control better than standard controls, there should just be a normal final battle like the rest of the level like in every warrior's game.

It's pretty rare to find a game that uses touch/motion in a non gimmicky way. In fact I've never played one that did.

sajj316

Am I crazy for wanting Madden Vita? I don't know. It seems the patch has resolved the majority of the stutters that hamper gameplay. I really want a football game!

With the memory situation/multiple account situation Sony only has themselves to blame.

A big reason the ps3 took so long wasn't just because of blu ray, it was because there was no real reason to BESIDES piracy.

For the vita there are multiple reasons besides piracy so people who actually enjoy being one of the earliest to hack a system open have motivation beyond FIRST!
The reason the PS3 took so long was because they could not do it - ie: it was HARD. Lots of people were trying, but it took more than three years, and even at that first GeoHot hack was completed BEFORE Sony removed the custom firmware option (and was probably the catalyst for removing that option). That hack wasn't much use to anyone but the hardcore however, and in the end it was human error that contributed the most to the PS3 getting finally and permanently "hacked" (loss of the Sony repair/support dongle for PS3 and blatant stupidity on the part of Sony security programmers vis-a-vis the rootkey)... Pretending the PS3 was hacked because big bad Sony took away other OS denies the facts (not that I agree with what Sony did either, because I don't).

The thing is, Sony learned a lot from the PS3 and the PSP; anyone who thinks Custom Firmware is coming for the Vita in anything less than 5 years (if ever) does not understand systems security very well - the Vita will not get hacked. Just because a handful of hackers can occasionally find the odd exploit in old PSP games code so they can access the PSP sandbox or User Level areas on the Vita doesn't mean they're anywhere near hacking the Vita. In fact, judging by the effort they're expending to even manage these unimportant and quickly patched exploits in an already cracked codebase, I'd say the Vita is looking about as safe as the NSA mainframe...

Derrick01

Banned
Am I crazy for wanting Madden Vita? I don't know. It seems the patch has resolved the majority of the stutters that hamper gameplay. I really want a football game!

Other than the stats and records being from a year before it's supposed to be, people say the game plays pretty good. If they fixed the stuttering then I'd look into getting it too.

LuchaShaq

Banned
The reason the PS3 took so long was because they could not do it - ie: it was HARD. Lots of people were trying, but it took more than three years, and even at that first GeoHot hack was completed BEFORE Sony removed the custom firmware option (and was probably the catalyst for removing that option). That hack wasn't much use to anyone but the hardcore however, and in the end it was human error that contributed the most to the PS3 getting finally and permanently "hacked" (loss of the Sony repair/support dongle for PS3 and blatant stupidity on the part of Sony security programmers vis-a-vis the rootkey)... Pretending the PS3 was hacked because big bad Sony took away other OS denies the facts (not that I agree with what Sony did either, because I don't).

Tons of people that worked on cracking the ps3 have explicitly stated that they didn't bother at all, or only poked around privately a tiny bit before other os was removed. They say thia was because they had no reason outside of curiosity and piracy.

Yes it would have still EVENTUALLY been hacked for piracy but it would have taken more time since it would have had way less people working towards that goal/encouraging that goal had they not pulled that nonsense.

If the ps3 was as locked down as the 360 from launch it would have been hacked wide open years before it was.

BibiMaghoo

I found the "put the vita on a light source" to reveal the map on Uncharted: GA incredibly awesome.

I found this to be the most inconvenient thing a video game has ever asked me to do in 20 years of gaming.

I had to get up and switch the light on, which while an effort was not to bad.
Having to remove the lamp shade to get it to work took it beyond a small effort to the realms of fucking insane.

I find this immensly funny tbh. But it is not something I ever want to see repeated in a video game in my lifetime.
If someone was playing this on a bus or outside at night, they would be fucked. It was required to progress the story.

Shinriji

I found this to be the most inconvenient thing a video game has ever asked me to do in 20 years of gaming.

I had to get up and switch the light on, which while an effort was not to bad.
Having to remove the lamp shade to get it to work took it beyond a small effort to the realms of fucking insane.

I find this immensly funny tbh. But it is not something I ever want to see repeated in a video game in my lifetime.
If someone was playing this on a bus or outside at night, they would be fucked. It was required to progress the story.

Heh. I didn't want to do that again either. But for that one second that I had to leave my confort zone and actually cooperate with the game, and not pushing some random button, I felt that it was a nice change of the status quo. My enjoyment with the game was upped because of this, cleaning artifacts and the jigsaw puzzles. It gave personality to the game, not another "shooting and running, been here done that" like Uncharted 3.

Agreed. It ways one of those, "Oh no you didn't" moments!

I'd have to disagree, but because I didn't have a strong enough light source where I was currently playing, apparently. That was unbelievably aggravating. And there was a bug where if I skipped all the cutscenes prior to it, the screen just stayed black no matter what I did. Ugh... the nightmare.

It seems I've definitely had a different experience. :)

Yopis

I'd have to disagree, but because I didn't have a strong enough light source where I was currently playing, apparently. That was unbelievably aggravating. And there was a bug where if I skipped all the cutscenes prior to it, the screen just stayed black no matter what I did. Ugh... the nightmare.

Love UCGA but hated being on couch or away from home and having this part come up. So hard to get this part to trigger. Was cool moment but I fall into the ( this was annoying camp). Great game though just got platinum yesterday.

Vita gaf, I have an issue.

My Vita has stopped recognising my memory card (4gb one I got the with console). I just turned it on and noticed I only had 6 games on my games screen and LBP (downloadable copy) was missing...

Has this happened to anyone else? I've taken it out and put it back in, not sure what else I can do really. Any suggestions?

Edit: Nevermind, turned it on and off again a couple of times and then it did a "updating database"(?) when I turned it on the second time and everytime is back. Odd though.

sajj316

I'd have to disagree, but because I didn't have a strong enough light source where I was currently playing, apparently. That was unbelievably aggravating. And there was a bug whereM if I skipped all the cutscenes prior to it, the screen just stayed black no matter what I did. Ugh... the nightmare.

Strangely enough I was on a bus when this scene took place. I put the Vita right to the window where there was light. Needless to say I got some inquisitive looks. I explained to my neighbor what was going on and concluded that I couldn't do this on an iPhone.

Definitely different experiences ...

Top of page: By more PSM games in addition to the upcoming ACL and NFS!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I got bored of Infinity Blade after 30 minutes. Maybe I just haven't embraced the future of "Tap these soldiers until they die" when all I want to do is press xxyxxyxxy.
I would be surprised if in the entire campaign all the duels combined last more than 30 minutes.

I want DWN but let's not beat around the bush. The touch duels are the definition of pointless gimmick. They add no depth and they don't control better than standard controls, there should just be a normal final battle like the rest of the level like in every warrior's game.

It's pretty rare to find a game that uses touch/motion in a non gimmicky way. In fact I've never played one that did.
This is pointless hate toward touch controls in dwn. I'm the first that i don't like gimmicks, but touch controls are well implemented in dwn. And don't say that normal duels are better than touch duels because normal fights are pathetic, the ai is poor and you just spam attacks, impossible to lose, in touch duels there's a rock-paper-scissors mechanic that needs some attention, infact i lost many times(but it's possible to immediately retry without replay the entire mission)

kerrak

Resistance BS is a decent shooter. It has some problems though, not enough multiplayer maps being the most important for me. If you have a positive attitude as a gamer you will probably enjoy this game, because shooting mechanics are almost perfect, the multiplayer is rather fast and hectic, and the lightning and some of the bosses in the campaign are never seen before on a handheld. Cutscenes are horribly lowres, sometimes you have to retry a lot before being able to enter an online game and there are other bugs or odd looking models (cars and faces come to mind). As of today, you'll find people playing online at any time of the day.

Carl

Yup, as i keep saying, Resistance is a good game badly made. As a shooter, it's good. Controls well, and definitely feels like Resistance. Tech-wise, it's a fucking trainwreck.

Yup, as i keep saying, Resistance is a good game badly made. As a shooter, it's good. Controls well, and definitely feels like Resistance. Tech-wise, it's a fucking trainwreck.

It definitely had potential. The multiplayer had a bunch of problems, including "Hey, those assholes get to start with the overpowered shotguns? That's fair."
This is why I hold out hope that CoD might be better than expected.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Couple of Resistance questions for you guys...

1. online pass?
2. Are people still playing this online?

Demo was ok, but I'm still kinda sorta interested in trying this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom