• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I had it with toy story 2 (although that indeed had the option to move it), but rayman has it as well, pal region. No option to move. I dunno if it is that way on the original psx, but i doubt it since then the hud would be lower as well

Vitacat

I had it with toy story 2 (although that indeed had the option to move it), but rayman has it as well, pal region. No option to move. I dunno if it is that way on the original psx, but i doubt it since then the hud would be lower as well

PAL region is probably your culprit. 50Hz meant some pretty severe letterboxing.

Ponn

Banned
Just realized PSBR and Persona 4 Golden come out on the same day....which ONE DO I GET!?

I have both preordered through newegg so the total for both comes to $60, aame price as one console game. Thats how I rationalize it. Also helps i'm only getting 2 console games over the entire holiday.

Skyzard

Banned
Aqua kitty on October 3 yeah one of the few PS Mobile games I'm gonna get day 1
Also Eufloria.

Next week is the PS mobile launch? Awesome! Definitely getting Eufloria and will have a look around for some others, haven't heard of Aqua kitty before but this pre-alpha test footage actually looks pretty good. There was another game people were going on about that I'll probably grab too, probably not going to go on a crazy spending spree though, I can see myself playing LBP for quite a while...

Well I was right.

I had a conversation today with an iPhone 5 owner. We were talking tech, and I was mentioning that the PSVita still has a full year leap in power, above the iPhone 5.

He was stating that he believed the iPhone 5 is a quad core powered and I was unconvinced, believing it was an optimized dual core. When Apple touted the A6, they stated it was 2 times more powerful/efficient than the A5. I have the iPad 2 (A5 dual core), my partner has an iPad 3 (A5X dual core). When Apple unveiled the A5X, they used the same language as they did for A6. If the A5X was 2x better than the A5, and the A6 is 2x setter than the A5, wouldn't the A5 X and the A6 be one and the same?

The A5X in teardowns was shown to be almost cobbled together, unrefined and huge by Apple standards. I'm certain the A6 is a polished, finished A5X.

Turns out I'm right, n terms if the A6 still being a dual core (and a triple core GPU)

http://news.yahoo.com/iphone-5-a6-processor-found-dual-core-cpu-220506025.html
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/confirmed-apples-a6-uses-triple-core-gpu/

PSVita quad core CPU and quad core GPU

http://news.softpedia.com/news/PS-V...eveloped-by-IBM-Sony-and-Toshiba-243348.shtml
http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/gaming/handheld-consoles/ps-vita-1061138/review

Anyhow, we are still king of the handheld/mobile roost - reason to be happy ^_^

Skyzard

Banned
Well I was right.

I had a conversation today with an iPhone 5 owner. We were talking tech, and I was mentioning that the PSVita still has a full year leap in power, above the iPhone 5.

He was stating that he believed the iPhone 5 is a quad core powered and I was unconvinced, believing it was an optimized dual core. When Apple touted the A6, they stated it was 2 times more powerful/efficient than the A5. I have the iPad 2 (A5 dual core), my partner has an iPad 3 (A5X dual core). When Apple unveiled the A5X, they used the same language as they did for A6. If the A5X was 2x better than the A5, and the A6 is 2x setter than the A5, wouldn't the A5 X and the A6 be one and the same?

The A5X in teardowns was shown to be almost cobbled together, unrefined and huge by Apple standards. I'm certain the A6 is a polished, finished A5X.

Turns out I'm right, n terms if the A6 still being a dual core (and a triple core GPU)

http://news.softpedia.com/news/PS-V...eveloped-by-IBM-Sony-and-Toshiba-243348.shtml
http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/gaming/handheld-consoles/ps-vita-1061138/review

I'm no tech wizard but yep. Not to mention the CPU being up to 2GHz so holds up better then the faster cpus in iPhone 5.

Not sure how it racks up against lg optimus g though (specs wise).

Vitacat

I'm no tech wizard but yep. Not to mention the CPU being up to 2GHz so holds up better then the faster cpus in iPhone 5.

Not sure how it racks up against lg optimus g though (specs wise).

Yeah, all well and good.

But at the end of the day... even if some phone or tablet does eventually have more power than Vita... we have PHYSICAL CONTROLS (and very good ones at that). That means far more to me as a gamer than all the CPU cores in the world.

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah, all well and good.

But at the end of the day... even if some phone or tablet does eventually have more power than Vita... we have PHYSICAL CONTROLS (and very good ones at that). That means far more to me as a gamer than all the CPU cores in the world.

As a gaming machine, it's not really a competition but when mobile games do have graphics that regularly beat out the vita's, I'll still be jealous - but yeah, not enough to do anything about it. I don't think that will happen till the next cycle or two at least though... batteries must be really taking a beating with those games too.

spannicus

As a gaming machine, it's not really a competition but when mobile games do have graphics that regularly beat out the vita's, I'll still be jealous - but yeah, not enough to do anything about it. I don't think that will happen till the next cycle or two at least though... batteries must be really taking a beating with those games too.
Best looking mobile game to me has to be Infinity Blade and I would love to have that on my Vita. I also wonder why TT didn't put Walking Dead on Vita. Damn install base pirates

VanWinkle

Well I was right.

That, plus 128mb of dedicated VRAM (which no smartphones that I'm aware of have), and low-level APIs, and less OS overhead, and as these phones are having to push more and more pixels, Vita will still only have to push 544p, and higher-priced games allow for higher budgets, which means more attention to technical detail.

In other words, Vita's good for a while, lol.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Just realized PSBR and Persona 4 Golden come out on the same day....which ONE DO I GET!?

Persona 4 is my favorite game of all time and I'm extremely picky when it comes to jrpgs.

Can't recommend it enough I love the characters, the core plot, the combat, the world.

That, plus 128mb of dedicated VRAM (which no smartphones that I'm aware of have), and low-level APIs, and less OS overhead, and as these phones are having to push more and more pixels, Vita will still only have to push 544p, and higher-priced games allow for higher budgets, which means more attention to technical detail.

In other words, Vita's good for a while, lol.
If only this is true :-(

We're still in the era of sub native res games, and some even try to sell ios game port at higher price.

Foxix Von

Holy smokes, I knew Little Big Planet was going to be good but I didn't expect it to be this great.

It's absolutely brilliant O_O

kidko

Hey VitaGAF pals, we just wrapped up Fantastic Arcade in Austin tonight and PS Vita was in full force. Nick Suttner from Sony was on hand reppin' Vita and indie games pretty hard. Super nice guy.

Annnny way, There were 1-month ps+ membership promo cards lying around and I ended up with one that I don't need so here's a code for whomever wants it:

M6LP-RTN4-C3M3

Hey VitaGAF pals, we just wrapped up Fantastic Arcade in Austin tonight and PS Vita was in full force. Nick Suttner from Sony was on hand reppin' Vita and indie games pretty hard. Super nice guy.

Annnny way, There were 1-month ps+ membership promo cards lying around and I ended up with one that I don't need so here's a code for whomever wants it:

M6LP-RTN4-C3M3

As someone who never wins anything ever. THANKS!

H13

added myself to the vita spreadsheet.
nice to meet u guys
kinda hoping for CC and MGS to drop down on vita PSN.
now waiting for RO oddesey!

Takao

Banned
there are some crazy speculations on 2ch about a monhun clone developped by CAPCOM in collaboration with SCE that will be revealed in this week's famitsu...

in fact it doesn't make any sense to me that i don't even bother to translate the details....

PS. I'm actually pretty happy with the current soul sacrifice+god eater 2 situation. I mean other than mh4 and phoenix wright games, the 3ds lineup was not that impressive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cross.Age
・SCEとカプコンが共同で作ってるモンハン風ゲーム
・ディレクターは一ノ瀬
・開発は2010年から
・vitaベースで作ってps3とマルチ同発
・世界観はSF(グラの雰囲気がスタオーっぽい)
・拠点惑星をベースに、色々な星へ行って狩る
・敵から狩とったパーツで武器やアーマーの強化
・モンハンと違ってストーリー性が高い
・主人公の名前はシン 。赤髪
・ヒロインの名前はニーナ
・キャラの絵描いてる人がブレスオブファイアの人?(でもブレスシリーズではない)

情報解禁は今週のファミ通だが、ここだとフラゲで水曜日に見れるか
一ノ瀬の二ページインタビューあり

This makes so little sense it hurts. Firstly, Capcom doesn't make games that will be published by other people. Secondly, it would probably be cheaper to money hat a new MH than for SCE to pay for the development and marketing of another. Thirdly, SCE already has their own MH clone in Soul Sacrifice. Why in the world would they make another? Lastly, if by some reason this is real why wasn't it announced at TGS? This is an exclusive to PlayStation ... Then again SCE announced the Over My Dead Body sequel on the show floor.

Not only are they terrible, someone in their marketing department should be slapped for using the most generic, non-exclusive Twitter hashtag. #gamechanger? Really?! ...smh

The best thing is that their slogan is really "Never Stop Playing". I don't know why they didn't use that for their Twitter hashtag.

is LKS going to be full price?

New Little King's Story comes out in 10 days and I can't find any online retailers that will be carrying it. Will this be a download only, or am I going to have trouble finding a copy?

NLKS is download-only in North America but retail in Europe. In true Konami fashion they have been silent on the price.

TGS they announced a few. I'm sure in NA its not really a big deal but most of the Vita games they are getting are also PsP versions. What's enticing gamers to switch from PSP other than a slight graphics upgrade. Just a comparison but you hear nothing about the original DS since the 3DS is around. I am sure it still sells but new bundles and the same games are not releasing onto the system. Just a comparison to its competition not starting a console war.

Err, Nintendo announced new DSi colours back in July, and their biggest handheld title for the fall is Pokemon Black and White Version 2, which is a vanilla DS game. What SCEJ is doing is simply playing to their strengths. The PSP is still receiving a tonne of support in Japan, and despite what the crew at IGN says, Sony can't just make them stop. The thing is now a lot of the support is coming in the way of titles aimed at children who may have received a PSP from an older sibling, or as a gift. That's why SCEJ cut the price. Until the price cut PSP was more expensive than 3DS in Japan. Now SCEJ can get some of the kids who may have got a 3DS as a gift a PSP to play games aimed at kids like Little Battlers eXperience W, and One Piece: Romance Dawn.

I'm torned between digital/physical, the PSN one seems to have technical issues but comes with 2 dlc packs, the physical has no issues but no DLCs at all :(

There are no technical issues with the digital version anymore. It was just a mess up on Sonys behalf releasing the game too early on the store and people then complaining that it wasn't working as intended. It wasn't ready to be released so yeah it was broken. But as far as I'm aware all purchases since it's official launch have been fine.

This makes so little sense it hurts. Firstly, Capcom doesn't make games that will be published by other people. Secondly, it would probably be cheaper to money hat a new MH than for SCE to pay for the development and marketing of another. Thirdly, SCE already has their own MH clone in Soul Sacrifice. Why in the world would they make another? Lastly, if by some reason this is real why wasn't it announced at TGS? This is an exclusive to PlayStation ... Then again SCE announced the Over My Dead Body sequel on the show floor.

Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap says hi.

But yes, it does sound like bullshit.

Takao

Banned
Does anyone know Bulgarian? Cause I think this article is saying Ass Creed: Liberation is being made by a team of 13 people, and that's just insane. Like, if it's confirmed this should be a thread insane. You have AC3 being made by hundreds of people, and this one being done by 13. If Ubisoft Sofia is indeed doing this with 13 people they need to be commended.

Does anyone know Bulgarian? Cause I think this article is saying Ass Creed: Liberation is being made by a team of 13 people, and that's just insane. Like, if it's confirmed this should be a thread insane. You have AC3 being made by hundreds of people, and this one being done by 13. If Ubisoft Sofia is indeed doing this with 13 people they need to be commended.
To be fair, we don't know anything about the scope, quality and polish of Liberations. It just looks pretty competent from the little we have seen so far. Could still be a turd that's build from downgraded ACIII assets.

Takao

Banned
To be fair, we don't know anything about the scope, quality and polish of Liberations. It just looks pretty competent from the little we have seen so far. Could still be a turd that's build from downgraded ACIII assets.

The game's been winning a bunch of awards so at the very worst it'll probably turn out mediocre.

Are you sure he isn't talking about the art/graphics team for the game?

Takao

Banned
What awards? Are we sure it's not winning them because there's a lack of competition? lol

After E3 they released an Accolades trailer just to show off how well received the game had been, and back then it was only shown behind closed doors. At the Gamescom awards they were nominated for Best Mobile Game (so Vita, 3DS, iOS/whatevs) and lost to LBP but won a bunch of similar awards from sites.

Are you sure he isn't talking about the art/graphics team for the game?

Ah yeah, you might be right there.

squall23

This makes so little sense it hurts. Firstly, Capcom doesn't make games that will be published by other people.
Capcom's actually done a lot of this besides minish cap. They made the original Gundam VS game and concept starting from Federation vs Zeon. It was only starting from EA vs ZAFT that Bamco began to take a much bigger innovative and developing stance on the series.

Sid

Capcom's actually done a lot of this besides minish cap. They made the original Gundam VS game and concept starting from Federation vs Zeon. It was only starting from EA vs ZAFT that Bamco began to take a much bigger innovative and developing stance on the series.
But what would be the point for sony to acquire a clone without the branding?it will be useless for hardware sales.

DiscoJer

Good. People were giving me crap in the Vita (potential) homebrew thread when I said the Vita was like an iPhone 6 (or was it iPad 4) in terms of power and it was only so cheap (compared to the iPad/iPhone) because they planned to make the money back on selling games.

Takao

Banned

You guys can tell I'm a huge fan of Capcom's can't you? Hahah.

Sid

Good. People were giving me crap in the Vita (potential) homebrew thread when I said the Vita was like an iPhone 6 (or was it iPad 4) in terms of power and it was only so cheap (compared to the iPad/iPhone) because they planned to make the money back on selling games.
Even if it loses the hardware race nobody will put in the effort/budget to make a console quality game on it and the vita has low-level api's too which means devs can code much more closer to the metal for better performance.

Rootbeer

Banned
I can't stand how game/app updates are handled on the Vita... you have to open each one's page and wait a few seconds to see if there is an update. There can be arguments made that this is sufficient, but it really should be consolidated like how it is on other platforms. It makes the life of the compulsive updater rather difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom