• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
With regards to the psasbr beta and the forced mics I think that is to test server load. Last vita beta allowed you to mute the Mic. So I doubt this is a design decision, but more of a server test decision.

I just wish they would have notified me of this earlier. I got to hear someone on the toilet yesterday. Couldn't exactly pause the game to turn it down, so I got a good three minute audio lesson on someone's digestive health.

GungHo just announced via twitter that Dokuro is officially delayed 2 to 3 weeks in both Canada and Mexico.
@Gungho_America said:
Dokuro's PSN release for Canada and Mexico will be delayed 2-3 weeks. We will list the exact date ASAP. We are very sorry for this delay.

Holy shit, the difference between "easy" and "normal" in Hatsune Miku is absurd. Easy is a one button cake walk, but my timing still sucks, while Normal is a two button speed course!

Also, is there any way to disable the touch screen prompts during songs and switch them to buttons? I dread seeing star icons.
Good to see you're playing it!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Repeating again has anyone played around PSM SDK?

I've played around with it but i basically just took out all the code from the viking demo and rebuilt something from that.

I did have something similar to this in XNA though - where the defined viewport was smaller than the screen, might want to check that?

GungHo just announced via twitter that Dokuro is officially delayed 2 to 3 weeks in both Canada and Mexico.

It makes zero sense why it was delayed for that long. It's ready, yes? Why not just put it out. I guess it's typical SCEA bullshit as usual. I remember something being said back during the PSN outage that as releases were delayed, they timed them out so that developers got the proper lime light in the store update, instead of having all the delayed stuff clumped together in one giant update. Maybe this is the case of these completely absurd delays that make zero sense?

Although it doesn't make sense for why Frobisher Says took months to just be localized in the Americas, or why it took months for Wake Up Club to be localized for Europe when it presumably only has text in the menu. There are small but super annoying localization delays/issues like this all over the place that are just infuriating because they make zero sense.

For games like Ragnarok Odyssey it's fine because there's literally like six people working on the translation/localization, but for first party Sony IPs that have almost zero text..... just why??

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, guess I'll buy it with the credit I'll get in November, if I even remember about it by then. But after Halo and AC:Liberation? Not very likely.

Fucking Sony.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
It makes zero sense why it was delayed for that long. It's ready, yes? Why not just put it out. I guess it's typical SCEA bullshit as usual. I remember something being said back during the PSN outage that as releases were delayed, they timed them out so that developers got the proper lime light in the store update, instead of having all the delayed stuff clumped together in one giant update. Maybe this is the case of these completely absurd delays that make zero sense?

Although it doesn't make sense for why Frobisher Says took months to just be localized in the Americas, or why it took months for Wake Up Club to be localized for Europe when it presumably only has text in the menu. There are small but super annoying localization delays/issues like this all over the place that are just infuriating because they make zero sense.

For games like Ragnarok Odyssey it's fine because there's literally like six people working on the translation/localization, but for first party Sony IPs that have almost zero text..... just why??

Does SCEA provide content for Canada and Mexico?

Can't turn them off, but they become almost non-existent when you get used to them. You're scratching back and forth without ever lifting your finger, right? And did you know you can enable to back touchpad for the stars/swipes?

I just figured out that you can touch anywhere on the screen to "hit" the stars! I though I had to touch the extra spot where they were going!

*Mind Blown*

Roubjon

So, about those star icons...

You can turn them off with the use of an item. At the screen that shows up before you start playing the chosen song, go to this tab

2012-09-02-172330.jpg

Then select the bottom most green item; the one with スターキラー. This makes it so all of the star notes can be hit with any button instead of scratching. The downside is that it costs 1000 points to use and that your final rank gets defaulted at Standard or lower.

I wouldn't recommend it though, it's worth learning how to do properly. The way you do it is you place your finger on the screen before any stars show up, then when it's time to hit the star, you just scratch the screen without ever taking your finger off.

Oh snap...

Well. Did you plan on selling the cart or something?

Yes. In fact, I just did and found out about this issue first hand while trying to prep to make sure my save file was going to be available when I bought the digital version. Now my sale is pending and I have to ship out my UMvC3 cart tomorrow and I'm left with the option of buying a $40 digital copy (should be at least $35.99 like everything else that's discounted) and starting over with a clean slate.

I think Capcom just lost my pending purchase... (and the possibility of me buying the $20 costume pack to round out my $100 for $20 back purchases).

In contrast, Ubisoft seems to have let me back up my Rayman Origins save and Bend seems to have allowed backup of my Uncharted:GA save... so again, FUCK YOU CAPCOM.

leroidys

There's so many PSP games I could buy this month to get that $100 easily, but PS+ starts next month. Do you guys think I should hold off? I figure some titles like Tactics Ogre are probably safe (as in, not going to be offered on ps+). Any other great games that aren't too expensive that probably won't be given away next month?

cyborg009

Banned
I've played around with it but i basically just took out all the code from the viking demo and rebuilt something from that.

I did have something similar to this in XNA though - where the defined viewport was smaller than the screen, might want to check that?

Thanks got it fixed, now I'm off too program....

Where did you get the Viking demo from?

Edit: ugh now I'm kinda confuse how to use the other panels like scroll.. and grid

Carl

I assume they have to send it through QA again to clear it for release in Canada/Mexico. Which is bullshit.

Ponn

Banned
So I got a replacement copy of UMvsC3 last week on the cheap (free) and i'm reminded why I really don't like physical copies of games on handhelds. Why does it need to install every time I power on the system? And it's annoying switching cards on a handheld. I'm starting to get to this point with my PS3 rather having my movies, TV shows (dealt with this past weekend watching my Walking Dead blurays in marathon format) and games on the HDD. With a handheld its just become so natural to have everything available at any given time right here at a flip of a screen.

Skyzard

Banned
So I got a replacement copy of UMvsC3 last week on the cheap (free) and i'm reminded why I really don't like physical copies of games on handhelds. Why does it need to install every time I power on the system? And it's annoying switching cards on a handheld. I'm starting to get to this point with my PS3 rather having my movies, TV shows (dealt with this past weekend watching my Walking Dead blurays in marathon format) and games on the HDD. With a handheld its just become so natural to have everything available at any given time right here at a flip of a screen.

I don't understand it either...must be some sort of additional security check.....? At least it doesn't do it from standby too!

It is annoying switching cards. I tend to just limit it down to games that I won't want to play much after I've completed them (and that take up a lot of space)...but even then..it's a shame to not have them ready to go.

But if they are priced ridiculously, there isn't much you can do. Reserve digital for your favourites I guess.

With a handheld its just become so natural to have everything available at any given time right here at a flip of a screen.

Definitely...this had become a standard for a lot of us since PSP CFW..I'm still used to switching discs with home consoles and for some reason I don't mind it (probably more ready to deal with extra waiting time before the game is on then with a handheld). It's great to have the option for retail with the vita though..especially for some steals.

Btw that guy that got his copy of Super Monkey Ball for £15 from shopto - did you get a chance to try the full game? Let me know what you think please. I imagine it would easily be worth £15...but probably not the sort of game I'd get off my ass to load in the vita :p .. digital though, defiantly...spent some more time with the demo. It is fine despite being a bit heavy to move...adds some extra challenge...I imagine people would fly through the game otherwise! It was a bit painful retrying a level though (which I tend to do a lot).. an instant replay of the death (skippable)...then the level loading cutscene (which I know you can speed up too)..but still.. instant restarts devs. instant restarts. It's a fun game though. Using the left stick with the demo...

Has anyone managed that crossover with the 3 rotating circles? From circle 2 to 3 the direction changes...when I try to do the same I get butt smacked off the course. Retrying...Seems to run pretty well. Loading times are ok, not bad.

Also a bit random, but I love the hot-corners in PSP games so much. For every game I'll have something assigned to them, at the very least I put on the Start and Select buttons since they're a pain.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I never find the cart installing that bad, because I just put the Vita into "sleep" mode.

And as far as switching carts... not annoying at all. I'm getting carts for basically all retail games, but have a nice collection of PSP, PSM, and PSN games. The cart games are probably going to be dedicated to for days / weeks on end, and the things I'd play "on break" from those games, are all downloadable...

I find the Installing much, MUCH more annoying on PS3, since installing DL games actually really takes considerable time. What IS it with Sony systems, and having to "install" anyway? Never seen a Wii, 360, or DS have to do that...

Maedhros

I never find the cart installing that bad, because I just put the Vita into "sleep" mode.

And as far as switching carts... not annoying at all. I'm getting carts for basically all retail games, but have a nice collection of PSP, PSM, and PSN games. The cart games are probably going to be dedicated to for days / weeks on end, and the things I'd play "on break" from those games, are all downloadable...

I find the Installing much, MUCH more annoying on PS3, since installing DL games actually really takes considerable time. What IS it with Sony systems, and having to "install" anyway? Never seen a Wii, 360, or DS have to do that...

360 does that. You just don't see.

Massa

If the game doesn't require memory card it's probably installing data to memory that gets wiped when you shut down the system.

Astra

They could've had a video out port, like the PSP did. A lot of people complained about it before so.. it's just wishful thinking. I know it defeats the purpose of it being a portable home console experience, I wouldn't really need it but it'd be nice.

Agreed. If you're at home anyway, it'd be nice to have the option to display it on your TV.
I usually play portables in bed, or while passively watching something on TV, so it's not much of an issue for me.
Would also be nice to be able to output to the TV so you could play while a friend watches.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
360 does that. You just don't see.

Well I shouldn't have to see it on any system! XD Seriously, though, it always was funny to me, that the PS3 mimics PCs in this route, whereas as system from Microsoft keeps that very-pc like feature from annoying consumers.

I love how I can play a DL as soon as it's finished on 360, followed by loving how Vita's DL installs really aren't that long, in comparision, VS the PS3s.

They could've had a video out port, like the PSP did. A lot of people complained about it before so.. it's just wishful thinking. I know it defeats the purpose of it being a portable home console experience, I wouldn't really need it but it'd be nice.

Would have loved a TV out, would be nice to be able to share gaming experiences with others.

Failing that, would be great to stream the game to the TV from the Vita, via a PS3, too.

Toki767

Sony should at least think about giving every major gaming website a Vita dev unit if anything just so they can record game footage without shining a camera on someone playing. Also it might get more sites to review more Vita games.

Agreed. If you're at home anyway, it'd be nice to have the option to display it on your TV.
I usually play portables in bed, or while passively watching something on TV, so it's not much of an issue for me.
Would also be nice to be able to output to the TV so you could play while a friend watches.

I hope they can add some feature like allshare or airplay that let you stream video display to smart tv via firmware. no cable needed. also it'd be nice if vita have dlna media server like ps3 so I can stream movies/music from pc.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Breath of Fire IV looks absolutely amazing on the Vita. The sprites and art are gorgeous in this game. Looks like a PSP game and plays like an awesome JRPG. I'm in love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom