• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently playing a PSOne sumo title on my Vita called どすこい伝説 and it is awesome. Also Ys Celceta, which is totally BA.

I hope that when Vita 2.0 comes out it has a better camera and that video out support. Might get the former, but who knows about the latter. Sony isn't known for adding features.

Maedhros

I am currently playing a PSOne sumo title on my Vita called どすこい伝説 and it is awesome. Also Ys Celceta, which is totally BA.

I hope that when Vita 2.0 comes out it has a better camera and that video out support. Might get the former, but who knows about the latter. Sony isn't known for adding features.

Lol, no...

Skyzard

Banned
Sony should at least think about giving every major gaming website a Vita dev unit if anything just so they can record game footage without shining a camera on someone playing. Also it might get more sites to review more Vita games.

It's like they don't want people to buy it.

665133_10151113958418354_1473580835_o.jpg

Lol, no...

Well, just look at the PS3. Over time it lost USB ports and backwards compatibility. I should have specified that what I meant was hardware features, I guess. Of course they are going to improve the software, but the hardware isn't going to see much expansion; it's just going to get smaller and thinner, and maybe lose something here or there (like 3G).

Skyzard

Banned
Anyone know if the vita is actually underclocked?

Anyone know why the psp was underclocked to begin with? Is it a strange marketing plan or because of overheating issues? I mean..you'd think that would leave early adopters pretty screwed (unless they solve it by firmware updates ! :S ) which they weren't (with the PSP V1000). So some sort of plan to generate less interest at first :S and then more later when it's cheaper..seems a bit ridiculous but any ideas what the reason was, I mean it's not like the games couldn't have used the boost..? Or if anyone remembers how long it took for psp games or the psp to get the unlock?

I'm debating on if I should grab a PS1 RPG. I've got FF7 and 9, Xenogears and Vagrant Story. I've got dissidia, FF Tactics, 3rd birthday, God Eater, MGS PW. For vita games I prefer retail copies, although I have NLKS.

Well, had my Vita for a little over a week now and am definitely loving it, my biggest problem right now figuring out what to grab next. I've spent a fair bit this october already, roughly $70 or so.

Just picked up Gravity Rush, and am a few chapters in and loving it, the game is gorgeous and putzing around with gravity is amazing. Dunno why this game isn't getting more buzz, seems like a great early game for a platform that is supposedly already dead. Don't care what others think on this one through, hell my PSP games look amazing on the OLED and I'm liking the Vita titles I've played so far. Happy with my purchase for sure.

Anyone know if the vita is actually underclocked?

Anyone know why the psp was underclocked to begin with? Is it a strange marketing plan or because of overheating issues? I mean..you'd think that would leave early adopters pretty screwed (unless they solve it by firmware updates ! :S ) which they weren't (with the PSP V1000). So some sort of plan to generate less interest at first :S and then more later when it's cheaper..seems a bit ridiculous but any ideas what the reason was, I mean it's not like the games couldn't have used the boost..? Or if anyone remembers how long it took for psp games or the psp to get the unlock?
Psp is underclocked due to battery life concern I think.

UberTag

I'm debating on if I should grab a PS1 RPG. I've got FF7 and 9, Xenogears and Vagrant Story. I've got dissidia, FF Tactics, 3rd birthday, God Eater, MGS PW. For vita games I prefer retail copies, although I have NLKS.
Chrono Cross is a classic but if you have not experienced the greatness that is TitS (The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky) you need to turn in your JRPG fan badge.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Early adopters are going to have mandatory Nyko packs to stay alive if it's the same again...nice job pulling an apple and having no replaceable battery.

didn't the US/Euro get the official battery charge packs? Each charges 2.5 times. I have , um, 4... because you can never have enough battery power to get through the huge amazing library (+2 general purpose chargers sold in Japan that have the rewired ports for Vita - these double up as 3DS chargers)

Again - without the pack i was getting 4.something. Shat all over the 3DS in terms of battery life.

Skyzard

Banned
didn't the US/Euro get the official battery charge packs? Each charges 2.5 times. I have , um, 4... because you can never have enough battery power to get through the huge amazing library (+2 general purpose chargers sold in Japan that have the rewired ports for Vita - these double up as 3DS chargers)

Again - without the pack i was getting 4.something. Shat all over the 3DS in terms of battery life.

Are you talking about the PSP or the vita? I was talking about if the vita was underclocked and later got an unlock...we wouldn't able to switch out the battery..but need to carry around extra charging packs :/

edit; OH , this thing? I didn't know about it..but £40 !! Down the line I guess...hope you can charge and play at the same time...probably not if it's usb though..No where near as good as switching out the battery.. especially down the line..

Skyzard

Banned
Vita's battery is user replaceable. Just good luck finding a replacement battery, lol.

Hah yeah I realised after...it's not like the warranty will still last by then. Saves me buying unnecessary extra vitas.

Should be alright just switching that with a busted updated vita's battery on ebay down the line right, guess we'll have to see. Should be...hopefully...it's pretty huge!..(that thing on the top I think).

MarkusRJR

What's the best $3 mini? I'm thinking about Canabalt or Flying hamster but I'm not sure what other good games are available for that price point.

EDIT: Nevermind I ended up buying Flying Hamster.

Grinchy

Banned
I finally got around to trying the All Stars beta and it felt really good. I was never the biggest Smash Bros fan or anything, so it'll take some learning before I get any good. But i was pleasantly surprised by how smooth it was online and how good it looked and ran.

MarkusRJR

Flying Hamster impressions
It looks surprisingly good and is absolutely adorable. It's really relaxing to play so I'll probably use it for those short 5-10 minute gaming breaks.

Oh and I bought Gravity Rush based on SpaceBridge's recommendation. I haven't got a chance to play yet but the box art looks fucking gorgeous. Hopefully the game is good. :)

I finally got around to trying the All Stars beta and it felt really good. I was never the biggest Smash Bros fan or anything, so it'll take some learning before I get any good. But i was pleasantly surprised by how smooth it was online and how good it looked and ran.

This could be misconstrued as fanboyism outside of this thread, but I could never get into Smash Bros. and I tried in the past. Part of the problem was people I was playing with were more experienced and thus I kept falling off the stage and they would guard the edges as I tried to get back and it just wasn't fun. The complete opposite in PSASBR. When I started playing this even if I sucked I didn't have to worry about falling off the stage and the super system allowed me to score a few kills even if I wasn't very good. So then the learning process began. How to block, how to evade, knowing when your opponent is about to use a super, how to create combos, how to hit confirm into a super, and so on. Now all of sudden I am really good at this game. It eases players in very well, and once you start facing other skilled players the game transforms into something special.

I strongly urge you to keep at it. Learn to block and evade and start stringing together some basic combos. Game is a blast and the vita version may be the best looking game on the system and runs a locked in 60 fps. Bluepoint be they wizards.

Jeels

Not really enjoying PSAllStars at all, but I really want to give this game a chance. Played for around 30 minutes today and it just felt too floaty to me. Going to give this another shot tomorrow.

Chesskid1

Banned
man zen pinball 2 is so damn fun. i bought some tables in the halloween sale and loved it. already bought a $10 pack a few hours later, and having a blast, prolly gonna buy some more.

re: youtube streaming, does anyone know if other devices requires you have space to download the entire video on your memory?

kinda annoying because i watched 1hr+ long HD videos, so i have to leave an extra like 1.5GB free on the memory card.

Not really enjoying PSAllStars at all, but I really want to give this game a chance. Played for around 30 minutes today and it just felt too floaty to me. Going to give this another shot tomorrow.

Try using some aerial moves to get you back to land and attacking. Also use aerial moves to help you get around the map. This will make your movements deal damage and also make navigation faster. Maybe that will help?

For instance in the air Fat Princess has a belly dash to move laterally and a butt stomp to get to the ground. Other characters have similar moves.

Quick

Banned
OCTOBER 30th

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
Need for Speed: Most Wanted

NOVEMBER 20th

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

My definite buys. I'm pretty selective with my games. Been looking for a racing game for ages now, and NFS: Most Wanted looks to be the one for me on the Vita and PS3. Though, I might hold off until after I finish ACIII and Liberaton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom