• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, im confused. If I upgrade my mem card, I can't redownload the games I buy off of PSN?

You should be fine as long as you are linking the card to the same PSN ID. I changed Vitas and memory cards (from 16GB to 32GB) and everything is fine, had no issues with redownloading my purchases.

Just realised how nice it is to actually be annoyed because there are too many vita games coming out that I want! Ha!

Shhhhhhhhh!!! THERE ARE NO GAMES!!!

You should be fine as long as you are linking the card to the same PSN ID. I changed Vitas and memory cards (from 16GB to 32GB) and everything is fine, had no issues with redownloading my purchases.

Shhhhhhhhh!!! THERE ARE NO GAMES!!!

Oh ya! I mean... Fuck you Sony where are my vita gamez!

haha it is nice though, who knows it might help pick up sales

Just realised how nice it is to actually be annoyed because there are too many vita games coming out that I want! Ha!

It's brutal for handhelds next month. :/ For Vita I'm picking up Ragnarok Oddessy and ACL in Oct and then P4G in Nov. Not to mention 3DS and console titles.

Do we have any news on games for Q1 2013?

Vitacat

It's brutal for handhelds next month. :/ For Vita I'm picking up Ragnarok Oddessy and ACL in Oct and then P4G in Nov. Not to mention 3DS and console titles.

That's why I didn't also buy a 3DS -- really wouldn't want another system to support. Vita is enough for now.

Gamespawn

Why do they update the Video section before the Game section of PSN? You'd think it would be a priority for LBP to be available first thing.

Why?Sony had to have these ports to showcase some support from EA and EA wanted to have quick cash-ins,i think it's very probable.

Could they really be cash-ins, when there is little to no money being made? ;P

In seriousness though, this is what happens when a system has such a consistently small user base, with little growth month over month. Companies don't have incentive to bring their wares over, if they do, they'll be quick and effortless. EA is not going to invest heavy amounts of manpower, nor are they going to assign people (resources) away from anything more pressing - the Vita, as of now, is of no concern for them.

We can fume and fuss, not support their games, but that'll bring either consequence:

No more games.

Bad, worse games.

The vocal minority that would refuse to buy their Vita wares is small (userbase is small, amount of their available wares are small) - as is the overall Vita consequence/risk on EA.

The games aren't selling in big numbers (no game in Vita is anywhere), thereby (in their publisher mentality) EA is almost doing a favor by porting any game over (it won't sell a lot anywhere, cost of marketing, development and distribution) - they might not even make any profit, let alone break even.

My ranting isn't really cohesive - but maybe someone can get a sense of what I'm saying? We are here bitching, wanting better ports (which is deserved by fantastic hardware) - but games aren't selling and the ecosystem is small. No matter how loud, we aren't going to get any better than what we are getting for the time being, we don't justify the cost. This is the consequence of hardware selling at Dreamcast levels. I'm not trying to be negative or angry. Realistic and without delusion about the very real current state of my Vita.

:(

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
How is everyone doing with their Vitas in terms of durability? Anyone needing a repair yet? Am really tempted to buy one now even though i feel like waiting for a price drop and/or the red or blue versions coming next year. I'm also caught in between getting one without warranty since it's S$299/US$245 as opposed to the officially released ones with warranty. Those sell for S$399/US$325 here in Singapore. That S$100 saving can help me pay for the memory card/screen protector/pouch/games etc. Just worried that the system might have problems in less than a year. These sets without warranty are probably imported from US or Hong Kong.

I think it's just EU only. ): I'd love to be wrong.

I would love to have someone involved with the store updates break down why there is not parity between the EU and US stores. It's fascinating to me.

Blah blah blah licensing blah blah blah publisher deal blah blah blah is what it probably boils down to, but come on.

In seriousness though, this is what happens when a system has such a consistently small user base, with little growth month over month. Companies don't have incentive to bring their wares over, if they do, they'll be quick and effortless. EA is not going to invest heavy amounts of manpower, nor are they going to assign people (resources) away from anything more pressing - the Vita, as of now, is of no concern for them.

We can fume and fuss, not support their games, but that'll bring either consequence:

No more games.

Bad, worse games.

The vocal minority that would refuse to buy their Vita wares is small (userbase is small, amount of their available wares are small) - as is the overall Vita consequence/risk on EA.

The games aren't selling in big numbers (no game in Vita is anywhere), thereby (in their publisher mentality) EA is almost doing a favor by porting any game over (it won't sell a lot anywhere, cost of marketing, development and distribution) - they might not even make any profit, let alone break even.

My ranting isn't really cohesive - but maybe someone can get a sense of what I'm saying? We are here bitching, wanting better ports (which is deserved by fantastic hardware) - but games aren't selling and the ecosystem is small. No matter how loud, we aren't going to get any better than what we are getting for the time being, we don't justify the cost. This is the consequence of hardware selling at Dreamcast levels. I'm not trying to be negative or angry. Realistic and without delusion about the very real current state of my Vita.

Unfortunately, I agree with you. Sony really needs to get the ball rolling, and the one thing I can think as an imediate option is to drop the price. Also, SCEA needs to ensure that as many Japanese Vita titles get localized as possible. Customers need to see shelves of Vita titles and if 80% of those are Japanese so be it. Once again, like with the PSP, Japanese devs will have to lead the charge when it comes to content. The troubling part is that even Japan seems to be wary of Vita. Sony needs to get a lock on titles from Atlus, SE, Konami, Capcom (meh) and others. If they can't moneyhat then partner with them for marketing and localization costs. I mean, SE is sitting on Type-0, why won't Sony assist in getting that game ported to Vita and localized westward. It could be a high profile title. Instead they decide to help Bethesda with Skyrim DLC?

Oh, and PS2 support on Vita please.

Double oh, Gravity Daze sequel announcement even if it's just a screenshot. Kat needs to be the Vita mascot character like Drake is for PS3.

Sid

No more games.

Bad, worse games.

I agree, the only thing we can hope for is that upcoming titles like killzone:merecenary,soul sacrifice,tearaway,assassins creed:liberation,gravity rush 2 etc. do well enough to bring more support and maybe there's a price cut next year too.

Vitacat

Oh, and PS2 support on Vita please.

Vita is probably not powerful enough to emulate PS2 at full frame rates. But I would love to be proven wrong by Sony engineers. And there's the problem -- will the short-sighted, incompetent, petty little managers at Sony greenlight R&D on a Vita PS2 emulator? Probably not IMO.

Vita is probably not powerful enough to emulate PS2 at full frame rates. But I would love to be proven wrong by Sony engineers. And there's the problem -- will the short-sighted, incompetent, petty little managers at Sony greenlight R&D on a Vita PS2 emulator? Probably not IMO.

I always wondered, games like persona, metal gear, et al prove it can run ps2 games but I'm unsure it could directly emulate them. Companies won't go through the effort of porting every ps2 game though, so emulation would make most financial sense.

With some capable engineers? That would've be a launch feature, but with the monkeys they have there, they couldn't pull off even PS1, and even now compatibility isn't there 100%

Watch hackers get it to work via CFW.

How is everyone doing with their Vitas in terms of durability? Anyone needing a repair yet? Am really tempted to buy one now even though i feel like waiting for a price drop and/or the red or blue versions coming next year. I'm also caught in between getting one without warranty since it's S$299/US$245 as opposed to the officially released ones with warranty. Those sell for S$399/US$325 here in Singapore. That S$100 saving can help me pay for the memory card/screen protector/pouch/games etc. Just worried that the system might have problems in less than a year. These sets without warranty are probably imported from US or Hong Kong.

My Vita has held up like a champ.

Only issue, left trigger would stick a little during resistance gameplay sessions.

Non issue, the Vita gets smudged from using the touchscreen

Otherwise: solid and highly polished hardware, so far

Mzo

I think screen protector technology has somehow been improved these past few years. I'm normally the clumsiest person AND the pickiest person when it comes to putting screen protectors on a portable, and I've managed flawless, and I mean I run out of the room to high-five someone flawless applications on both my 3DS with the Hori protector and the official Sony one on the Vita. They're easier to apply than ever and it seems easier to push air bubbles out of the way.

Give it a try. I don't mind a few bumps and scrapes on a handheld's chassis, gives it some character, but I would not be able to suffer a single scratch on the game viewing area.

petrochemicals

Neo Member
I would like to point out this article on Geek.com.

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/...tal-releases-and-free-to-play-games-20111013/

SCEA employee Chris Norden says all Vita titles will release day and date.

So LBP Vita's physical release date was lifted two Fridays ago. Who lifted the street date? If SCEA didn't lift it aren't there penalties to breaking street dates?

Not to mention SCEA announced LBP's release yesterday.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/09/24/sack-it-to-me-its-time-to-launch/

Of course the game was still not on the store.

Now SCEA has announced LBP's release yet again for some reason.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/09/25/littlebigplanet-ps-vita-is-go-for-launch/

And yet again the title is not on the store.

I know it is coming out today, but I just wanted to point out the complete ineptitude of SCEA.

Now who want's to bet the update to PSN is extremely late today, as something good is being released.

my take: so nice to be buried under $35/40 games rather than $60 ones (other than maybe re6, it'll be all vita titles for me till next year)...

If they can't moneyhat then partner with them for marketing and localization costs. I mean, SE is sitting on Type-0, why won't Sony assist in getting that game ported to Vita and localized westward. It could be a high profile title...

my #1 'how frigging brainless can you get?' complaint. can't believe this isn't happening...

Foxix Von

What, does that keep dust from floating about the room?

Sorta yeah. Idea being that all the humidity after a hot shower clings to and weighs down the dust particles in the air. It makes for a much less dusty application process. It worked... sorta okay for me. The problems came when I found there was still some dust on the screen protector and trying to get it off only resulted in more dust on the screen.

Supposedly using tape works best, I didn't have any so I just tried using the little cloth that came with the application kit and it only helped to smear tiny cloth particles all over my protector =/

Sorta yeah. Idea being that all the humidity after a hot shower clings to and weighs down the dust particles in the air. It makes for a much less dusty application process. It worked... sorta okay for me. The problems came when I found there was still some dust on the screen protector and trying to get it off only resulted in more dust on the screen.

Supposedly using tape works best, I didn't have any so I just tried using the little cloth that came with the application kit and it only helped to smear tiny cloth particles all over my protector =/

I've been going bareback since I got my vita and not a single scratch so far *touch wood*

top of the paaaage

buy gravity rush and project diva f

If you feel like you can wait until a better deal/colors spring up, I'd say do that. What games are you looking forward to playing?

I would love to have someone involved with the store updates break down why there is not parity between the EU and US stores. It's fascinating to me.

Blah blah blah licensing blah blah blah publisher deal blah blah blah is what it probably boils down to, but come on.
Don't forget blah blah blah incompetence!

That resulted in just as much mind breaking frustration for me. Bareback ftw.

I say that now, or at least until I get my vita pregnant scratched.
When you get your first scratch, it's an awful experience. :(

Now SCEA has announced LBP's release yet again for some reason.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/09/25/littlebigplanet-ps-vita-is-go-for-launch/

And yet again the title is not on the store.
It's still coming today, it's just that the PSN didn't update yet.

Grinchy

Banned
That resulted in just as much mind breaking frustration for me. Bareback ftw.

I say that now, or at least until I get my vita pregnant scratched.

It seems to always work well for me but I keep my Vita naked now too. The last protector I put on was perfect, but I didn't like how it felt. I just said screw it a few months ago and ripped it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom