• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger

Do people put protector on both sides of the Vita? I
poorly
attached one to the front screen, but I rarely pay attention to the back screen at all.

Could they really be cash-ins, when there is little to no money being made? ;P

In seriousness though, this is what happens when a system has such a consistently small user base, with little growth month over month. Companies don't have incentive to bring their wares over, if they do, they'll be quick and effortless. EA is not going to invest heavy amounts of manpower, nor are they going to assign people (resources) away from anything more pressing - the Vita, as of now, is of no concern for them.

We can fume and fuss, not support their games, but that'll bring either consequence:

No more games.

Bad, worse games.

The vocal minority that would refuse to buy their Vita wares is small (userbase is small, amount of their available wares are small) - as is the overall Vita consequence/risk on EA.

The games aren't selling in big numbers (no game in Vita is anywhere), thereby (in their publisher mentality) EA is almost doing a favor by porting any game over (it won't sell a lot anywhere, cost of marketing, development and distribution) - they might not even make any profit, let alone break even.

My ranting isn't really cohesive - but maybe someone can get a sense of what I'm saying? We are here bitching, wanting better ports (which is deserved by fantastic hardware) - but games aren't selling and the ecosystem is small. No matter how loud, we aren't going to get any better than what we are getting for the time being, we don't justify the cost. This is the consequence of hardware selling at Dreamcast levels. I'm not trying to be negative or angry. Realistic and without delusion about the very real current state of my Vita.

:(

there's a market of what, 2 million vitas world wide? i imagine at this point its mainly hardcore gamers with them who purchase a fair number of games. if all publishers are doing is porting existing games and selling them at 40 bucks a pop, how many units do they really need to sell to be profitable? 50k?

seeing how ninja gaiden was already ported and ninja gaiden 2 has been greenlit, i imagine the first one must have been profitable for them at least. how much cash was made? who really knows. but its not like ninja gaiden on vita really lit the charts up either

i picked ninja gaiden specifically as it never charted from a sales perspective from most people would be considered a "bomba"

original titles developed ground up for the system obviously need to sell a lot more units to make $$

obviously everyone would prefer a 50 million user base with every title selling 2 million a pop. but that might not be too realistic at this point

Don't you dare jinx me.

*knock on wood*
my first time was this morning

very awful
Do people put protector on both sides of the Vita? I
poorly
attached one to the front screen, but I rarely pay attention to the back screen at all.
I don't think one is needed on the backside. No underwear for the Vita's badonkadonk.
Interesting, apparently it's both? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knocking_on_wood

In my family we've always said "knock on wood" never heard of touching wood before. Although knocking seems to be the more commonly used phrase Huh. Interesting 8D
Huh, I didn't think touching was even one... I've always used knock on wood. The more you know.
I regret trading in Gravity Daze. :( Has there been any new DLC story missions?
Outside of the first few, nope. ):
Just ignore the weird Brit
so mean man

Aren't you supposed to be out buying LBP Vita?

BibiMaghoo

I'm looking at picking up a vita next week, but daayum, they quite pricey.

Best I can find is 230 with uncharted and no memory card. And that's pounds not dollars.

I'll need disgea too.

My wages for the week will be gone :(

Unfortunately, I agree with you. Sony really needs to get the ball rolling, and the one thing I can think as an imediate option is to drop the price. Also, SCEA needs to ensure that as many Japanese Vita titles get localized as possible. Customers need to see shelves of Vita titles and if 80% of those are Japanese so be it. Once again, like with the PSP, Japanese devs will have to lead the charge when it comes to content. The troubling part is that even Japan seems to be wary of Vita. Sony needs to get a lock on titles from Atlus, SE, Konami, Capcom (meh) and others. If they can't moneyhat then partner with them for marketing and localization costs. I mean, SE is sitting on Type-0, why won't Sony assist in getting that game ported to Vita and localized westward. It could be a high profile title. Instead they decide to help Bethesda with Skyrim DLC?

Oh, and PS2 support on Vita please.

Double oh, Gravity Daze sequel announcement even if it's just a screenshot. Kat needs to be the Vita mascot character like Drake is for PS3.

I'm going to add to this:

Vita has yet to have its first western Holiday season. I feel like the Vita owner audience, developers/publishers, media, analysts and Sony will all have a better and bigger picture understanding - of what amounts to the lifespan - of the Vita's future.

With the Japanese Dev houses, they aren't jumping at the Vita because economically, it doesn't make sense. There isn't a broad enough audience and no company can take a risk, especially with the climate of diminishing returns this generation.

The west seems more eager to support the Vita and Sony seems to be targeting the west, but western gamers are too enthralled with iterative iPhones to give a shit.

That puts Vita in a near catch 22 situation: damned if you do, damned if you don't.

When looking at the idea of money hats and the notions that Nintendo has thrown money hats, I don't think they have. Here are some key differences, which have had distinct ramifications on both houses of hardware:

Nintendo doesn't use a loss leader method. They set out to have profit from day one. This gave them wiggle room with 3DS and its pricing. They also spend conservatively and have maintained a huge financial war chest. They aid with cost abatement (secured RE:Revelations exclusive by distrib. And marketing in the west.), they were willing to create peripherals at the request of third parties (Monster Hunter/Capcom CPP) - they will fund development (Bayonetta 2) - for a series they believe will be mutually agreeable (developer and themselves)...

Sony has a tendency to take a loss leader approach, developing the best hardware and taking a loss (making it up in license fees and software). While admirable to the consumer, this approach has been bad news for a company with this much debt. Sony doesn't have the leeway financially, to drop the price. Sony also lacks the capacity for any big financial investments, "moneyhatting" or development funding. If Sony, as a whole, goes under/broke - SCE does too. The bigger problem for SCE, is the entire debt of their parent Sony. In other words, They don't have the $ (broke).

I brought up these two contrasts, not as a Nintendo/Sony thing. It's more about their different philosophy/viability, why one is seeing more success in the handheld market vs, the other. Satoru Iwata was a developer first, and Nintendo seems to have steered itself steadier after he took over from Yamauchi. Kaz Hirai seems better minded than Kutargi, but Ken was more arrogant which suited Sony better. It inspired confidence and ego. Sony seems to lack some of the lost bluster that Ken instilled....

Anywho, that comparison went on too long, when I meant it to be a sentence of two each.

With FF-0, I am wondering if SE doesn't want Sony involved? Maybe SE has been quiet on the title because it has quietly shifted from PSP/Vita to iOS? SE has been really keen on iOS lately a dim wondering if they're quietly moving all portable development toward mobile, instead of portable?

Yes - Sony needs a mascot, but I'm not sure Kat works. Sony's biggest mistake: letting Crash go. He would have been perfect for the Vita, Sony in general.

My ingest hopes for Vita are that we will see Jak Daxter, God of War, Infamous, Heavy Rain, Uncharted (more), Twisted Metal and many other wonderful, unique and beautiful Sony IP's...

Sigh.

I would like to point out this article on Geek.com.

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/...tal-releases-and-free-to-play-games-20111013/

SCEA employee Chris Norden says all Vita titles will release day and date.

So LBP Vita's physical release date was lifted two Fridays ago. Who lifted the street date? If SCEA didn't lift it aren't there penalties to breaking street dates?

Not to mention SCEA announced LBP's release yesterday.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/09/24/sack-it-to-me-its-time-to-launch/

Of course the game was still not on the store.

Now SCEA has announced LBP's release yet again for some reason.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/09/25/littlebigplanet-ps-vita-is-go-for-launch/

And yet again the title is not on the store.

I know it is coming out today, but I just wanted to point out the complete ineptitude of SCEA.

Now who want's to bet the update to PSN is extremely late today, as something good is being released.

At SCEA's entrance, "Welcome to the Jungle" plays

I'm looking at picking up a vita next week, but daayum, they quite pricey.

Best I can find is 230 with uncharted and no memory card. And that's pounds not dollars.

I'll need disgea too.

My wages for the week will be gone :(

If your in the UK check Sainsbury's - they are doing a wifi vita with lbp and a 4gb card for 180

Oh, I completely forgot about that game! :O Loved it on Wii.

Any good reviews or impressions out yet?

I've watched a lot of impressions and it just looks great. It's easily my most anticipated game for this fall, mostly because I loved the original. I'm aaalmost done the OT, I swear! It'll be going up tonight, I was previewing it to myself at work and realized I made some mistakes so I need to touch it up a bit tonight. I managed to dig a lot and got more info than I thought I could so.. I want the OT to be as informative as possible!

Takao

Banned
Type-0 would be like the first real $40 iOS game. Given that game had camera control problems I wouldn't want it anywhere near a touch only device.

Type-0 would be like the first real $40 iOS game. Given that game had camera control problems I wouldn't want it anywhere near a touch only device.
wait a minute there takao what are you talking about, type-0 iOS?

I wonder how big LBP Vita will be digitally. I am finally low on space on my 32gb card...
I hear it's not too big, around 1500MB, give or take a few hundred.

What was with Project Diva f being shown at E3? Is the game getting a western release or not?
"To gauge interest" or some crap like that.

MisterC20XX

I just need to say I love my Vita, guys! I find myself gravitating toward spending more time playing games on it rather than my 360, PS3 and 3DS combined. It's not just the novelty of a new device ether. I enjoy being able to kick back anywhere to play games with real controls: at my desk, on a break at work, in a coffee shop, etc. With a huge back catalog and all the releases coming out over the next couple months I could see the Vita becoming my primary gaming system. I just hope the future holds good things.

4fNo24vNhBDB_s4

I hear it's not too big, around 1500MB, give or take a few hundred.

"To gauge interest" or some crap like that.

He was responding to my above Response. I was hypothesizing Type-0's disappearance and silence, as SE moving it quietly to IOS. They are being silent and with their heavy iOS endeavors, it wouldn't surprise me if they shifted development over to that platform.

Just me speculating...though.

Ugh, sheesh.

I forgot how stressful screen protectors can be.

Used the shower trick, got it on there 97% aligned and 99.5% free of any abnormalities, except for one super tiny little dust speck bubble in the lower corner, just outside of the screen.

I figured that's about as perfect as it's going to get, after struggling to get that speck out for 5 minutes. =P

Takao

Banned
Speaking if MIA titles whatever happened to warriors lair? That looked Like a great game.

Dev hell. It's in development at Sony San Diego right now.

What? Type-0 for the iOS?

eighty(one) was saying that could potentially be one of the reasons Type-0 hasn't been launched in the west yet.

He was responding to my above Response. I was hypothesizing Type-0's disappearance and silence, as SE moving it quietly to IOS. They are being silent and with their heavy iOS endeavors, it wouldn't surprise me if they shifted development over to that platform.

Almost all of their iOS releases are ports though. Ports of games that have made back their money a long time ago. Type-0's localization costs haven't been recovered yet.

eighty(one) was saying that could potentially be one of the reasons Type-0 hasn't been launched in the west yet.

fucking hell you two almost gave me a heart attack

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
My Vita has held up like a champ.

Only issue, left trigger would stick a little during resistance gameplay sessions.

Non issue, the Vita gets smudged from using the touchscreen

Otherwise: solid and highly polished hardware, so far

I'll definitely get a screen protector to go along with my Vita no matter what:)
Thanks for your input.

If you feel like you can wait until a better deal/colors spring up, I'd say do that. What games are you looking forward to playing?

I'm just tempted and I have the cash right now for a frivolous purchase XD.

As of now I'm interested in Gravity Rush, Disgaea 3, Touch my Katamari and maybe Wipeout and LBP. As for future releases (that are coming out soon) I'm definitely getting Persona 4, Soul Sacrifice and perhaps Assassin's Creed III Liberation.

I guess I could just wait for a while longer. I'm not sure whether Singapore will get the AC3 Liberation bundle since there is no official news yet.

creid

Got home the other day and my Vita informed me that I had removed the memory card, and I might have lost data. I did no such thing. After rebuilding the database, things seem to be fine but I'm not so sure. Is this a common error?

I'm going to add to this:

Vita has yet to have its first western Holiday season. I feel like the Vita owner audience, developers/publishers, media, analysts and Sony will all have a better and bigger picture understanding - of what amounts to the lifespan - of the Vita's future.

With the Japanese Dev houses, they aren't jumping at the Vita because economically, it doesn't make sense. There isn't a broad enough audience and no company can take a risk, especially with the climate of diminishing returns this generation.

The west seems more eager to support the Vita and Sony seems to be targeting the west, but western gamers are too enthralled with iterative iPhones to give a shit.

That puts Vita in a near catch 22 situation: damned if you do, damned if you don't.

When looking at the idea of money hats and the notions that Nintendo has thrown money hats, I don't think they have. Here are some key differences, which have had distinct ramifications on both houses of hardware:

Nintendo doesn't use a loss leader method. They set out to have profit from day one. This gave them wiggle room with 3DS and its pricing. They also spend conservatively and have maintained a huge financial war chest. They aid with cost abatement (secured RE:Revelations exclusive by distrib. And marketing in the west.), they were willing to create peripherals at the request of third parties (Monster Hunter/Capcom CPP) - they will fund development (Bayonetta 2) - for a series they believe will be mutually agreeable (developer and themselves)...

Sony has a tendency to take a loss leader approach, developing the best hardware and taking a loss (making it up in license fees and software). While admirable to the consumer, this approach has been bad news for a company with this much debt. Sony doesn't have the leeway financially, to drop the price. Sony also lacks the capacity for any big financial investments, "moneyhatting" or development funding. If Sony, as a whole, goes under/broke - SCE does too. The bigger problem for SCE, is the entire debt of their parent Sony. In other words, They don't have the $ (broke).

I brought up these two contrasts, not as a Nintendo/Sony thing. It's more about their different philosophy/viability, why one is seeing more success in the handheld market vs, the other. Satoru Iwata was a developer first, and Nintendo seems to have steered itself steadier after he took over from Yamauchi. Kaz Hirai seems better minded than Kutargi, but Ken was more arrogant which suited Sony better. It inspired confidence and ego. Sony seems to lack some of the lost bluster that Ken instilled....

Anywho, that comparison went on too long, when I meant it to be a sentence of two each.

With FF-0, I am wondering if SE doesn't want Sony involved? Maybe SE has been quiet on the title because it has quietly shifted from PSP/Vita to iOS? SE has been really keen on iOS lately a dim wondering if they're quietly moving all portable development toward mobile, instead of portable?

Yes - Sony needs a mascot, but I'm not sure Kat works. Sony's biggest mistake: letting Crash go. He would have been perfect for the Vita, Sony in general.

My ingest hopes for Vita are that we will see Jak Daxter, God of War, Infamous, Heavy Rain, Uncharted (more), Twisted Metal and many other wonderful, unique and beautiful Sony IP's...

Sigh.

I understand devs and publishers not wanting to take risks when it comes to putting content on Vita (SE and Type-0 for example) but then why is it Falcom can afford to develop and publish a very good looking Y's game on it? I just cant comprehend how big name devs are unwilling to assist in growing a market due to perceived costs but smaller devs who shouldn't be expected to, are the ones taking those risks. Capcom? SE? EA? Activision? They should be the ones setting the trends not sitting on their hands. God bless devs like Falcom, Aksys, Index. Sony has an obligation to ensure that some of this content makes it over to the west by absorbing some of that localization/marketing costs and maximizing profits for those devs and growing the Vita market. A game like God Eater 2 should be announced for NA already. Vita customers shouldn't be in doubt. A game like Soul Sacrifice should have the tremendous engine of the Sony machine behind it, not sent to die at the feet of MH4.

Building my second level on LBP.
SO. TIME. CONSUMING.
But all these people say they want another level =[

SPIDERMAN LEVELS ARE HARD DARNIT.

zroid

Banned
Just tried the music app for the first time, am impressed how it lets you control playback from the Live Area tab. That's some pretty smart design!

darkwing

Just tried the music app for the first time, am impressed how it lets you control playback from the Live Area tab. That's some pretty smart design!

I just wish you can control the music if you turn off the screen, I find using the Vita for my music player, it has a nice DAC

Sid

Got home the other day and my Vita informed me that I had removed the memory card, and I might have lost data. I did no such thing. After rebuilding the database, things seem to be fine but I'm not so sure. Is this a common error?
I don't think so though i had to hard reset my vita 2 or 3 times due to it locking up.

Kazerei

Banned
I understand devs and publishers not wanting to take risks when it comes to putting content on Vita (SE and Type-0 for example) but then why is it Falcom can afford to develop and publish a very good looking Y's game on it? I just cant comprehend how big name devs are unwilling to assist in growing a market due to perceived costs but smaller devs who shouldn't be expected to, are the ones taking those risks. Capcom? SE? EA? Activision? They should be the ones setting the trends not sitting on their hands. God bless devs like Falcom, Aksys, Index.

Falcom has a small but dedicated fanbase. They just need to focus development on a specific platform, and the fans will go out and buy that system. Whether Falcom picked 3DS or Vita, it would hardly make a difference in sales of their games.

As of now I'm interested in Gravity Rush, Disgaea 3, Touch my Katamari and maybe Wipeout and LBP. As for future releases (that are coming out soon) I'm definitely getting Persona 4, Soul Sacrifice and perhaps Assassin's Creed III Liberation.

I guess I could just wait for a while longer. I'm not sure whether Singapore will get the AC3 Liberation bundle since there is no official news yet.
If you have the money and don't want to wait for price drops/bundles/other things, I'd totally go for it now. We'd be happy to welcome you to the family, plus there's already a list of games you want! But again, this is only if you want it now instead of waiting a few months!

Sid

I'll definitely get a screen protector to go along with my Vita no matter what:)
Thanks for your input.

Yeah that's a decent amount of titles so get the white vita now if you can coz i think i looks better than my black one and then buy more games along the way.

What's the name of your first level? Lemme heart it. :)

Its short and terrible but its called
Spiderman Webswing Ver. 1

Just look up Spiderman and I think it's the one with the most plays/hearts and such.
I was going to update it but...I dont think I can.

Ugh and all these Play 4 Play (P4P) levels are clogging up the Cool Levels so nothing good (except the REALLY GOOD) are at the top anymore.

Ponn

Banned

Ive been getting corrupted file errors and messages about mem card being taken out when it wasnt. Rebooting seems to fix it but its freaking me out. I think that last update was just really unstable and they need to fix this.

So with PS mobile sega should be able to put Valkyria Duel on Vita, right? RIGHT SEGA?!

Twinduct

Oi ye yanks!
Go and play Tokyo Jungle Via Remote Play and update us!

(Sorry been watching 'Once upon a time in China' and they seem to refer to Americans as yanks like constantly)

Tokyo jungle has remote play?! This needs o be in Europe right now!

Yep! Also got the nice suprise earlier =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom