• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
If you could turn off the stupid back touch it would be a decent port. As it is it's a tolerable but stupid questionable design (mostly forced by Sony, I wager) port. Similar to Uncharted with that stupid six-axis sniping portion with weird stick acceleration.

I really disagree. I think LBPv has a great implementation of front and back touch. I can imagine it's not for everyone, but IMO it's awesome.

Mzo

I think people will be better off getting used to holding the Vita without fucking with the back panel sooner rather than later. I know you used to hold your handhelds like whatever, but those days are over.

I really disagree. I think LBPv has a great implementation of front and back touch. I can imagine it's not for everyone, but IMO it's awesome.

Agreed. It is the best version of LBP, hands down.

I think people will be better off getting used to holding the Vita without fucking with the back panel sooner rather than later. I know you used to hold your handhelds like whatever, but those days are over.

I learned this lesson playing Vagrant Story. I really hate that R2/L2 are mapped to the back panel, but it has trained me out of touching the back.

Skyzard

Banned
Definitely mishandled; I don't think anyone can seriously argue otherwise. Their messaging was all over the place -- and in some instances, totally absent. They gave the distinct vibe that they either had nothing in the pipeline or simply didn't care.

However, they're finally starting to get the message and show more open support for the system. Things are looking up.

I'd argue most people who bought a vita weren't even worried and simply expected more titles down the road as is what usually happens with every other console ever released..

There was a drought but it should really have been expected, no?

Btw, the grips really help with the rear touchpad as well. Well, at least the CTA one I tried does.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

I don't even know what is the problem. I typically place my finger tips on the pads behind, and never had any issue at all.

kuroshiki

Yo Vita bros.

If you want to spend some money on PSN, hold off until october.

Instant gratification–plus $20 when you spend $100.

With Day 1 Digital you can download the biggest Fall premieres the same day as store release. Plus, spend $100 in the PlayStation®Store during October and get $20 back. Pre-Order select titles and get an exclusive theme.

I guess I will buy Little king story, Tokyo Jungle, Ragnarok Odyssey, etc on October.

I'd argue most people who bought a vita weren't even worried and simply expected more titles down the road as is what usually happens with every other console ever released..

Yes, there's always a post-launch drought. That wasn't the issue.

The issue was Sony did a downright awful, nigh nonexistent job of controlling the message and assuring people that big--hell--any games were coming. Nintendo, by contrast, constantly touted all the studios making 3DS games and the big franchises coming to the system. Now, they do periodic Nintendo Directs where they showcase the games coming in the near future and beyond. It's brilliant.

Sony did nothing. Literally. They didn't even show up to E3. They only started trying at Gamescom, nearly eight months after the launch of the console in Japan.

Skyzard

Banned
But how many people even pay attention to that?

Yes we were hurt bad as avid gamers, needing reassurance especially with the headlines going around...but I'm still surprised (and glad) that Sony even changed their stance so quick from E3 to Gamescon tbh - guess they thought enough people who might buy the vita were paying attention..

I still think their lack of success was more to do with price and marketing though. I would believe that though since I love my vita.

zroid

Banned
I saw that. 20% back isn't bad at all but spending $100 on PSN in a month is lolno.

This holiday is too bloody expensive as it is

zroid

Banned
I was trying to get my sackboy to do the wanker sign with his hands when I just got it right and the Double 11 notification popped up. Thought that was it and posted in the LBPV thread.

LOL :p

In less awesome news, the touch spinny things really suck. Really. :\

Skyzard

Banned
LOL :p

In less awesome news, the touch spinny things really suck. Really. :\

Yeah that's actually what I liked the least, needed to make activation area size bigger then what it is... especially when there is no chance of overlap... I did remember reading that you can customise (for your own level in create mode) the area size but might be mistaken.

I love how well made the levels are though, the game has really improved since I remember playing it in LBP1 - just a lot more challenging I felt. Better use the the 3 layers...the autoswitching between them (which wasn't the best previously) isn't too bad in this either.

I really don't think you guys (lunch too) should sell this one - should be fun for a long time..especially after a break from the game when the community maps get stale for a while. Quite a few good ones already though (I downloaded them..should put together a list ...)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The problem is the official site has quests listed as DLC as well, with several quests already available. Aside from that, there will be items and costumes. The costumes are available for both citizens and princesses and they actually do have stat bonuses.
Eh even with stat bonuses, it's not needed to complete the game.
The quests look like challenges and not story related. Still, that be nice to play but I'll deal with it.

Vitacat

Yo Vita bros.

With Day 1 Digital you can download the biggest Fall premieres the same day as store release. Plus, spend $100 in the PlayStation®Store during October and get $20 back. Pre-Order select titles and get an exclusive theme.

I guess I will buy Little king story, Tokyo Jungle, Ragnarok Odyssey, etc on October.

Wow, seriously?! Does this apply to NA PSN? And does it apply to buying from the Vita store?

I definitely will be spending $100 that month anyway.

spannicus

Last we heard, Idol Minds was taken off it and Sony San Diego was put onto it to "finish it". Who knows how far along it was, it looked pretty solid in the bits of gameplay shown but who knows how much content they were planning. It's still being worked on, but hopefully they're saving to re-unveil it until next E3.

It could be great for summer or fall of next year, because lots of Vita games are getting lumped together this fall and coming winter/spring. It's one of my most anticipated Vita games, and all around games period because it's a Diablo esque game, but much deeper than say.. Dungeon Hunter on Vita.

I agree the game looked awesome. Never played a Dungeon crawler but this is the one that got me interested. I'm picking up Silent Hill next month because it looks similar. I hope they release Warriors Lair soon though. Being able to cross play with PS3 is a good selling point for the game especially when its one of the only real Dungeon crawlers on the Vita. I'm really anticipating Soul Sacrifice though. I was gonna import it this December until it got delayed which sucks. On another note Ragnarok Odyssey was pretty fun and actually made me want to buy the game.

Some survey thing poped up when I was over at Playstayion.com about the site and blog wasn't too long most questions seemed about the way they deliver content or where you go for gaming stuff.

zroid

Banned
Ugh... I'm still in the first world and I'm already starting to feel there's way too much touch bullshit in this game. I hope it gets toned down later.

That tetris tower game makes me want to punch puppies

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Ugh... I'm still in the first world and I'm already starting to feel there's way too much touch bullshit in this game. I hope it gets toned down later.

That tetris tower game makes me want to punch puppies
I love the tetris tower game! Kyon and I played it and I won both times. I'm basically a champion.

Toki767

Wow, seriously?! Does this apply to NA PSN? And does it apply to buying from the Vita store?

I definitely will be spending $100 that month anyway.

Just got the e-mail as well. It's a SCEA promotion. Seems like you can buy anything, but it's more to take advantage of the Day 1 Digital games since you'd only have to buy 2 of those games to break $100.

Yo Vita bros.

Holy crap.

Just picked up a 32GB card today, looks like I will be holding off until October to start my digital buying spree.

zroid

Banned
I love the tetris tower game! Kyon and I played it and I won both times. I'm basically a champion.

Whoever decided that it's a good idea to make you pretty much cover up the entire screen to rotate pieces should be fired

EDIT: well I got 3 stars. Never touching that again!
no pun intended

Vitacat

Just got the e-mail as well. It's a SCEA promotion. Seems like you can buy anything, but it's more to take advantage of the Day 1 Digital games since you'd only have to buy 2 of those games to break $100.

Yeah, I see I have that email as well. Awesome.

But how exactly does it work, I wonder? Do you have to spend $100 at one time, or just throughout the month of October and then they refund you $20?

Toki767

Yeah, I see I have that email as well. Awesome.

But how exactly does it work, I wonder? Do you have to spend $100 at one time, or just throughout the month of October and then they refund you $20?

If it's anything like last year's promotion, you'll just be credited back $20 at a certain date. Don't have to spend $100 at one time. Just in October.

I agree the game looked awesome. Never played a Dungeon crawler but this is the one that got me interested. I'm picking up Silent Hill next month because it looks similar. I hope they release Warriors Lair soon though. Being able to cross play with PS3 is a good selling point for the game especially when its one of the only real Dungeon crawlers on the Vita. I'm really anticipating Soul Sacrifice though. I was gonna import it this December until it got delayed which sucks. On another note Ragnarok Odyssey was pretty fun and actually made me want to buy the game.

the only thing that stands out from Warrior's Lair is the instant swap between ps3/vita, and the social mechanic of invading other player's lair for loot and defending your own lair from other player.

but I don't think I ever see any detail previews on the actual gameplay, how many class are there, skill tree, story, bosses, etc. from the actual gameplay segment I've seen, I don't know if it''s any good or not. I can say that the art is very generic fantasy art. they could probably use the time to fleshing it up more.

remind me of sorcery, looks awesome from first gameplay demo, but in reality, there's not much game in it other than the spell wand mechanic

Vitacat

If it's anything like last year's promotion, you'll just be credited back $20 at a certain date. Don't have to spend $100 at one time. Just in October.

Excellent.

And the best part is that October is full of good new Vita releases. From Metacritic's list:

-Ragnarok Odyssey Oct 16
-Street Fighter X Tekken Oct 23
-Smart as... Oct 23
-Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz Oct 23
-Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward Oct 23
-Assassin's Creed III: Liberation Oct 30
-LEGO The Lord of the Rings Oct 30
-Need for Speed Most Wanted Oct 30

Easily $100 worth of games there for Vita for just about everyone. I just hope AC and NFSMW make that October date, because they are must-haves IMO.

EDIT: Holy crap... just realized by the end of next month my 32GB card will probably be unable to hold all my games at once. o_O UGH.

for digital games, the game bubble/icon on vita include the game data and save file. I'd like to know if I want to backup my progress/save data to pc, does it copy all the game data too overwriting my previous backup of the same game, or does it just copy the save data?

if you see your backup folder on pc, you can see the backup are not one self contained file, but are folders with various gamedata and included in it, a savedata folder.

Vitacat

for digital games, the game bubble/icon on vita include the game data and save file. I'd like to know if I want to backup my progress/save data to pc, does it copy all the game data too overwriting my previous backup of the same game, or does it just copy the save data?

if you see your backup folder on pc, you can see the backup are not one self contained file, but are folders with various gamedata and included in it, a savedata folder.

It copies everything, save data and game file, every single damn time. It's really annoying and needs to be fixed. Unlike PSP games, there's no way to only backup saves.

B.O.O.M

Few things like having a full feature set detailed in english and also including tid bits like

"Rating Pending - submitted to the ESRB and are awaiting final rating."

makes me hopeful. But damn I don't wanna get my hopes up :( LOVED VC2 and is one of my most favorite games/franchises of the gen

Excellent.

And the best part is that October is full of good new Vita releases. From Metacritic's list:

-Ragnarok Odyssey Oct 16
-Street Fighter X Tekken Oct 23
-Smart as... Oct 23
-Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz Oct 23
-Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward Oct 23
-Assassin's Creed III: Liberation Oct 30

-LEGO The Lord of the Rings Oct 30
-Need for Speed Most Wanted Oct 30

Easily $100 worth of games there for Vita for just about everyone. I just hope AC and NFSMW make that October date, because they are must-haves IMO.

EDIT: Holy crap... just realized by the end of next month my 32GB card will probably be unable to hold all my games at once. o_O UGH.

Will be mine.

so I saw this

http://gematsu.com/2012/09/play-asia-lists-us-valkyria-chronicles-3

I know..I know..it's most probably an error..but good god..if this is true and if this game comes to vita...the vita can discontinue the day after for all I care

Holy fuck, megaton?

Edit: isn't this new thread worthy?

It copies everything, save data and game file, every single damn time. It's really annoying and needs to be fixed. Unlike PSP games, there's no way to only backup saves.

sigh, Sony is so paranoid in avoiding piracy and other thing, that they just keep implementing a lot of annoying stuff hoping their fanbase just endure it for them. it's 2012, I was surprised to how much of a hassle I find that I need to use data cable to transfer files to Vita from ps3. I got used with wireless transfer like Kies Air on my Smartphone and technology wise, I don't think it's outside of Vita's capabilities to just connect to ps3 via local wifi and transfer file that way.

as well as the whole one account per vita thing, I wish all account info, vita setting etc are stored on mem card, and I don't need to format vita when I switch mem card, would be so nice if I just put put JP account memcard and my Vita instantly changed to my Jp region vita, complete with my wallpaper/bubble placement/wifi setting and everything.

Vitacat

sigh, Sony is so paranoid in avoiding piracy and other thing, that they just keep implementing a lot of annoying stuff hoping their fanbase just endure it for them. it's 2012, I was surprised to how much of a hassle I find that I need to use data cable to transfer files to Vita from ps3. I got used with wireless transfer like Kies Air on my Smartphone and technology wise, I don't think it's outside of Vita's capabilities to just connect to ps3 via local wifi and transfer file that way.

as well as the whole one account per vita thing, I wish all account info, vita setting etc are stored on mem card, and I don't need to format vita when I switch mem card, would be so nice if I just put put JP account memcard and my Vita instantly changed to my Jp region vita, complete with my wallpaper/bubble placement/wifi setting and everything.

100% agreed on everything. But... Sony.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Ys Ltd edition
EDF3 double set

bought.

They now have to fight with Kokuga for my mobile time in the next hour or so.

Skyzard

Banned
It sucks but I imagine they know they could sell a buttload more vitas if it was hackable but they are doing this for the publisher support which is already tough these days.

I really hope this is coming

Noi

I wish I could afford every game coming out in October. I'm gonna have to hug RE6 and VLR and go "lalalalalalala" as I watch every other release go by. ;_;

And then take RE6 out the back and put it down, according to the popular opinion in the demo thread.

It sucks but I imagine they know they could sell a but load more vitas if it was hackable but they are doing this for the publisher support which is already tough these days.

is Sony really that bad in securing their hardware without annoying their userbase? how come Nintendo got that good with it that 3ds is hackproof till now, you don't even hear news about 3ds exploit found like in Sony hardware.

Skyzard

Banned
is Sony really that bad in securing their hardware without annoying their userbase? how come Nintendo got that good with it that 3ds is hackproof till now, you don't even hear news about 3ds exploit found like in Sony hardware.

Nintendo is impacted less by piracy. Btw, nothing plays Vita games yet either. And I have no idea what a 3DS is like. Can you even backup games or transfer movies to it?

Vitacat

Nintendo is impacted less by piracy. Btw, nothing plays Vita games yet either. And I have no idea what a 3DS is like.

3DS games have not been pirated yet either.

As things now stand, (most) people cannot pirate PSP or Vita games on Vita, and no one can pirate 3DS or DS games on 3DS anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom