• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, what's the final verdict on Uncharted Gokden Abyss? Looking for a fun adventure game for Vita, sonething different from the usual RPG's I've been playing. My favorite things in Uncharted have been the exploration, puzzles, graphics avd story. My least favorite things have been the shooting. How does this compare to previous Uncharted?

Grinchy

Banned
I liked Golden Abyss quite a bit. If you really give the gyro aiming a fair shake, it will become second nature to the point that you will try tilting the Vita and console controllers when you play other shooters.

Noi

So, what's the final verdict on Uncharted Gokden Abyss? Looking for a fun adventure game for Vita, sonething different from the usual RPG's I've been playing. My favorite things in Uncharted have been the exploration, puzzles, graphics avd story. My least favorite things have been the shooting. How does this compare to previous Uncharted?

There are some finicky things about Golden Abyss, but it's my favorite of the series. Being able to precision aim with the gyro makes shooting a lot easier and a lot more fun than in the console games.

I liked Golden Abyss quite a bit. If you really give the gyro aiming a fair shake, it will become second nature to the point that you will try tilting the Vita and console controllers when you play other shooters.

I tried playing the Unit 13 demo right after finishing Golden Abyss. The game was unplayable to me. :(

Don't trust the demo, game is great. If you have played the PSP Syphon Filters, it's like that.

Fun Story, lot's of things to collect, likeable (and unlikeable!) characters. Even the shooting is great.

How it compares to the others is a divisive question, but IMHO. U2 > UGA > U3 > U1

I'd hit the green in like a shot or two below par and end up at like +7. It was infuriating.
... okay, mine aren't that high, but still fairly high at about +2 or +3!

For putting, look at the grid that lays over. If it is looking like the waviness is going towards the right, move it to the left and vice versa. Also, pay attention to the top of the screen, it'll tell you how much of an incline or a slope there is. Orange indicates it is an upslope and blue is down. Takes a bit of practice once you get used to it, it can be a bit easy (hitting it closer to the cup helps too:p ), but some of the courses, especially the last two you unlock are a pain in the dick to putt on.
Hmmm... good tips. The thing that screws me up the most is how much power I should give it usually, because it's never enough.

Its because you spend too much time changing avatars and not enough on the virtual Vita greens :p

VBs I want a decent rhythm game, are there any for PSP via DD? Dont say Miku or the Vita technika, lol :)

And Miku.
sly devilish cutesy 3 face

Heaper actually has an avatar I can get behind now.

Also, the temptation for New Little King's Story is big, but I blew all my money on VLR. Why so many games. :(
hey i support your avatars ):

But yeah, I blew my money on Kaizoku Musou and want NLKS. Woe is me~!!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?

I actually struggled with the gyro aiming although I think it was my fault tbh, I would often find my self twisting myself in awkward positions to move the reticle over an enemy, I think I needed to train myself to use the analogue and then refine the aim with the gyro, last few chapters of that game though were amazing.

qcf x2

I've had my Vita since launch, and only today did I learn there was a built-in mic. Someone heard my hysterical cackling in LBP. I couldn't help laughing at myself for being so bad at videogames these days.

Wow, so like LBP on Vita this sounds like the more fun Uncharted to play compared console iterations?

Well I can't say anything vompared to the console Uncharted's since I havent played any of them but GA is a pretty good game. It's not without it's flaws but nothing that would cause me to not recommend it.

B.K.

I'm going on a trip next month and I'm going to load up my Vita with games and videos and take it with me. What's a good case for travel?

beanman25

Bought a 10,000 Yen card from play asia. Bought Project Diva f, what should I buy now? I'm looking for any awesome game that isn't available in USA.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Greetings Vita-ites.

I just want to really recommend Little King's Story. It was really an incredible title on the Wii and really offered something unique. I feel many of you would really enjoy it.

cheers

Greetings Vita-ites.

I just want to really recommend Little King's Story. It was really an incredible title on the Wii and really offered something unique. I feel many of you would really enjoy it.

cheers

I was going to pick it up today but it got stealth delayed to next week in aus

Foxix Von

Just beat LBP.

GOT DAYUM. SO GOOOOOOD.

And yeah Golden Abyss might just be my favorite Uncharted game. You get used to the weird aiming and it just clicks. The much more narrow focus is actually kind of nice and they still pack in some very nice environments. It's also got one of the more solid plots out of the games and definitely has my favorite banter between Nate and Sully. I know people hated the whole "that's what she said" shtick while going down the river, but damn, it had me in stitches and that's the moment it basically settled into being my favorite uncharted game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I gave up on HSG when putting made no sense. :(

If you're using classic the grid is "movement of the ball" in terms of the lines movement on the ground/wind and level factoring in. Study that and then make your shot based on curve (if using the lines) or powering through (if close). It's kinda a little hard to read, but it's intuitive.

Wow, so like LBP on Vita this sounds like the more fun Uncharted to play compared console iterations?

If you could turn off the stupid back touch it would be a decent port. As it is it's a tolerable but stupid questionable design (mostly forced by Sony, I wager) port. Similar to Uncharted with that stupid six-axis sniping portion with weird stick acceleration.

Takao

Banned
Wait... what's the back touch do in LBP?

iM49gyrmQsTz.gif

olimpia84

Just got my 3 new Vita games from Walmart: Uncharted, Hot Shots and Little Deviants. I think I'll put LD up for sale since I didn't really like the demo but was pretty much forced to get it since the selection for the 3rd free game was horrible.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

worst version of LBP confirmed

It's only used in like... 4-5 levels (so far, four worlds in) in the main story and the idea behind it isn't bad (touch front -> moves item into the world, touch-back -> moves item forward in world) it's more the fact the stupid back-touch is too big and gets in the way to where you'll (like me) probably have a green dot indicating back touch when you're not meaning to back touch the majority of the time.

Again: Turn it off and it's a decent port of the LBP2 engine with a few concessions. A HELL OF A LOT BETTER than the first PSP port (which made a new engine and TERRIBLE expressions for Sackboy since it couldn't downport the physics and stuff of the LBP1/2 engine).

Skyzard

Banned
Theres one level where its really annoying though where you have to use it for the whole stage.

I agree that it was a bit hard probably because so much focus on the rear touchpad is new but it's not like the whole game is like that.

Have your finger close to the centre of the rear touchpad (quite close to the character) and you'll only move quite slowly. Let go to slow to a stop.

It's a bit of a challenge but can be quite fun. Come on guys, hone your precision skills. (may come in handy...)

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Scott pilgrim needs to be on vita

Wow. This x 10. I'd pick one up in a second in this happened. It'd be perfect for the platform.

The Vita has dropped $50 in price here in Australia and is now bundled with LBP and a 4gb memory stick. That's a seriously tempting offer. If it had launched at that, I'd have one already. Sony's mishandling of the platform post-launch has me questioning whether I should get one now though.

hyogen

Neo Member
super crate box coming on Oct. 3? whenever the app store launches.. hopefully it makes it on the next store update on tuesday

Skyzard

Banned
Wow. This x 10. I'd pick one up in a second in this happened. It'd be perfect for the platform.

The Vita has dropped $50 in price here in Australia and is now bundled with LBP and a 4gb memory stick. That's a seriously tempting offer. If it had launched at that, I'd have one already. Sony's mishandling of the platform post-launch has me questioning whether I should get one now though.

Mishandling or impatience?

Where is the fuck is Warriors Lair and don't say in Development hell. Damn games been pre ordered forever.

Last we heard, Idol Minds was taken off it and Sony San Diego was put onto it to "finish it". Who knows how far along it was, it looked pretty solid in the bits of gameplay shown but who knows how much content they were planning. It's still being worked on, but hopefully they're saving to re-unveil it until next E3.

It could be great for summer or fall of next year, because lots of Vita games are getting lumped together this fall and coming winter/spring. It's one of my most anticipated Vita games, and all around games period because it's a Diablo esque game, but much deeper than say.. Dungeon Hunter on Vita.

You can get the LBP bundle + Fifa 13 and an accessory pack from JB HiFi atm for $300 I think that is even cheaper than importing all of that

Mishandling or impatience?

Definitely mishandled; I don't think anyone can seriously argue otherwise. Their messaging was all over the place -- and in some instances, totally absent. They gave the distinct vibe that they either had nothing in the pipeline or simply didn't care.

However, they're finally starting to get the message and show more open support for the system. Things are looking up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom