• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazerei

Banned
The main reason I haven't gone digital with Vita is the PSN prices. I have a 32GB memory card and I'd love to put all my games on it, so that I don't have to swap carts. And if digital and retail prices were equal, I'd go digital. But that's not the case. From retail sales and deals, I haven't had to pay more than $30 for a Vita game. Many were only $20. It's too bad, Sony would get alot more of my money if they just offered good PSN discounts.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Don't fail me Japan-GAF! I need edf screens and impressions! Hell, a video would be nice!

i played about 5 minutes - graphics aren't as good as the X360 version and the super crazy draw distance has been pulled in, but it looks as good as expected. It's still long, but not so you can see to the end of the universe.

Killed some ants - very little slowdown :O - which was a surprise. Not put in enough time yet.

Seems to be a fair amount of loading.

Also - you have to switch to Technical controls to get the right stick mapped to view movement.

sad but true

I know.. but gifs really work well with the vita. Page of lag though.

A well put together thread should withstand the trolling. (in theory.. - hence the gifs :p)

If I put effort into it, and formatted similarly to MidnightScotts thread, and specifically prefaced it to keep the "Vita am dead" comments out it should be okay. I mean, Id want it to be a thread for game recommendations, suggestions and impressions. It could also serve to illustrate that the Vita has games and might be worth owning. God knows Sony cant manage to muster the effort.

My one challenge is to post screenshots that are all the same size and dimensions.

Skyzard

Banned
If I put effort into it, and formatted similarly to MidnightScotts thread, and specifically prefaced it to keep the "Vita am dead" comments out it should be okay. I mean, Id want it to be a thread for game recommendations, suggestions and impressions. It could also serve to illustrate that the Vita has games and might be worth owning. God knows Sony cant manage to muster the effort.

My one challenge is to post screenshots that are all the same size and dimensions.

As long as it is updated (for the coming games) it should be a good idea...would save a lot of repeating here as well as being a generally good source of info for people.

The vita op does list this:

Official threads for Vita games
Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND |OT| - Now with New Hat
Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention (PSV) |OT| Play for 10 Million Hours!
Everybody's Golf / Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational |OT| You're invited too!
Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita
Lumines: Electronic Symphony |OT| Shake Ya Body
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Vita |OT| Snake in your pants!
MLB 12: The Show |OT| Elevated levels of testosterone included
Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition |OT| Because "ultimate" is so 1995.
MotorStorm RC |OT|
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus (Vita) |OT| A port of a port, of course, of course
Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth
Resistance Burning Skies |OT| Extinguishing the Flames of Vitality
Ridge Racer (Vita) |OT| The Death of a Once Great Franchise
Super Stardust Delta (Vita) |OT| How to Refine Perfection
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack |OT| - Indie Action For Vita Launch
The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton
Touch My Katamari |OT| Touch, Squeeze, and Pinch
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes
Uncharted: Golden Abyss |OT| Drake arrives at a smaller screen near you!
Unit 13 |OT| Tactical Shooter on the Go (Vita)
WipEout 2048 |OT| Back to the Future
LittleBigPlanet Vita |OT| Touch my sack ... boy

Which is pretty useful itself...one thread to discuss them all is sort of like this thread. Perhaps working on some screenshots + descriptions for the op - or even have that as a backup incase the thread is over-run by trolls or lost in the back pages. (go for it, it is needed)

I just mean like your PSN ID/password. But never mind that is on the system. So I don't understand what having proprietary memory has to do with secure accounts then :<
I heard that sony went crazy with encryption or whstever protection they could think of built in their memory card, which is the main culprit why file transfer is so damn slow on vita. Basicaly its scanning each file in and out of vita while copying files.

Skyzard

Banned
Actually there already was a thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467386

Hasnt been updated in a long while though it seems.

Some great screenshots! But it is a bit of an overload - needs a better way of organising and definitely more quoted images imo..?

Perhaps pm him to talk about contributing to it or a new thread?

Some descriptions would be useful and also help to separate the images..won't need to quote them as actually they are a nice size already.

also seems like he's popped up (ellooo :) so no need to pm!

neogaf needs those spoilers from penny arcade where you click to reveal more...but tbh it's a decent thread, hope it is linked in op. -- it is, good.

Kazerei

Banned
i played about 5 minutes - graphics aren't as good as the X360 version and the super crazy draw distance has been pulled in, but it looks as good as expected. It's still long, but not so you can see to the end of the universe.

Killed some ants - very little slowdown :O - which was a surprise. Not put in enough time yet.

Also - you have to switch to Technical controls to get the right stick mapped to view movement.

What's the language barrier like? Would I need to learn to read anything beyond the menus? I'm kind of itching for a shooter.

Thanks for the impressions. Sounds like what I expected to be honest which is a very good thing! I presume tw language barrier would be the same as the other games in the series? Which is to say pretty easy to understand.

Also ill be interested as to how pale wing works, is it a separate campaign? New mission? Or just a select a character for the original missions?

crinale

Don't fail me Japan-GAF! I need edf screens and impressions! Hell, a video would be nice!

I&#8217;ve also got one copy of EDF3P so let me put some of my impressions.

The only slowdown point you may experience would be the Queen Ant mission. Otherwise you may not notice any major slowdowns :) The network play also does not affect frame rates by much.
Surprisingly, it seems like they are actually synchronizing (or at least trying) position and status of minions between clients, let alone bosses, when you go online with your friends (as far as I know Monster Hunter series do not put much effort to synchronize minions between clients).

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Surprisingly, it seems like they are actually synchronizing (or at least trying) position and status of minions between clients, let alone bosses, when you go online with your friends (as far as I know Monster Hunter series do not put much effort to synchronize minions between clients).

even in adhoc too - you can look at someone elses screen and see them -not- seeing who you are fighting

(i've not played any adhoc with MH3G because the wife is flat refusing to play it after soloing the shit out of MH3rdP)

Is there a way to change the credit card on a PSN account without having that old card? I was using pre-paid cards before and want to change it (so it doesn't prompt me for them later) but I threw out all the pre-paid cards awhile ago so I have no idea what their security codes or CC numbers were.

Sure. It will only ask you for your password when clearing data and after that you only need new one.

I don't remember having any troubles when changing my CC in PSN.

I’ve also got one copy of EDF3P so let me put some of my impressions.

The only slowdown point you may experience would be the Queen Ant mission. Otherwise you may not notice any major slowdowns :) The network play also does not affect frame rates by much.

Thanks for the news, sounds pretty much perfect for what I wanted then :) if the online is stable and it has all the missions plus pale wing looks like ill be importing it next pay day!

The main reason I haven't gone digital with Vita is the PSN prices. I have a 32GB memory card and I'd love to put all my games on it, so that I don't have to swap carts. And if digital and retail prices were equal, I'd go digital. But that's not the case. From retail sales and deals, I haven't had to pay more than $30 for a Vita game. Many were only $20. It's too bad, Sony would get alot more of my money if they just offered good PSN discounts.

Gonna spam "steam summer sale" @yosp :p

Vitacat

And " I want 64 gig memory card for PSN+ launch"

I support this idea. Plus we need folders to go along with the bigger capacities.

And I really support this idea.

Maybe I'll spam yosp myself later.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
You didn't find it repetitive at all?
Strangely i thought about this at the beginning of the first play, but no more in the 3 times i played the demo.

Remember that in silent hill bom everything(puzzles, map, enemies, bonus, weapons etc), except special rooms and missions, is randomly generated.
Puzzles and blue orbs missions should have been better and more various, but they are random, so you can't expect something too deep, but at the same time every play is different.

In 2 dungeons there are very different enemies, so i'm positive about enemies.
Maps are small, so you can make a relatively short play when you want.

The game has its faults, but the story(a boy/girl that egoistically use a book tied with silent hill to gain a better life, it's not difficult to imagine that nothing good will come from it...), the karma mechanics(enemies with the same karma won't attack you or they could even protect you from opposite karma enemies), karma special moves, very limited number of object you can carry(i really hate unlimited inventories i survival horrors), special event rooms with 3 different results, everything randomly generated etc intrigue me, i really want to see where the game goes.

cjkeats

Played the Japanese demo for Ragnarok Odyssey last night. Went in blind, all I knew about this was that it's an RPG for the Vita, and that's all I needed. Seems pretty good, plays like Monster Hunter. I assume there's gonna be multiplayer?
I like the whole air juggle thing.

Why didn't he just outright say there will be no mh vita? http://www.gamezone.com/news/will_monster_hunter_4_land_on_vita noone was going to buy the vita hoping it lands on it anyway.

I presume it's because Sony are constantly trying to push capcpom to release a mh vita.

Edit: in regards to ragnarok I swear I remember hearing something about them patching online in?

Edit 2: yep here we go - online was patched in as well as some new maps
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467445

Damn straight! I always wonder how ps plus does for them actually. It's seems like a very popular thing but who knows

Since june I kept counting the number of ps+ icons in my friendlist. Before june, it was +-4 max. Then it went to around 10, then somewhere in the 20s. Since I deleted some people and added GAFfers(still in the proces of this), it jumped to 35. :O

I wish Sony would give us the total numbers of PS+ subscribers, since they like numbers at E3.

Since june I kept counting the number of ps+ icons in my friendlist. Before june, it was +-4 max. Then it went to around 10, then somewhere in the 20s. Since I deleted some people and added GAFfers(still in the proces of this), it jumped to 35. :O

I wish Sony would give us the total numbers of PS+ subscribers, since they like numbers at E3.

If the number was big enough they would tell ;)

Played the Japanese demo for Ragnarok Odyssey last night. Went in blind, all I knew about this was that it's an RPG for the Vita, and that's all I needed. Seems pretty good, plays like Monster Hunter. I assume there's gonna be multiplayer?
I like the whole air juggle thing.
Correct. It was free DLC with the JPN version and ships with the game in NA.

Hanmik

Any hints as to its quality? ;)

john-cleese-monty-python-silly-job-interview.gif

Any hints as to its quality? ;)

I heard in podcast a couple months ago that it's like brain training, a collection of mini games designed to give your brain some exercise, I remember hearing that it has robust social element like leaderboard etc and the game constantly compare you to other player that push you along to play another round or something similar to that effect.

I heard in podcast a couple months ago that it's like brain training, a collection of mini games designed to give your brain some exercise, I remember hearing that it has robust social element like leaderboard etc and the game constantly compare you to other player that push you along to play another round or something similar to that effect.

That sounds ok actually, is it retail or psn? If its a cheap psn game similar to Frobisher says then that could be a cool little game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom