• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaZero

so I saw this

http://gematsu.com/2012/09/play-asia-lists-us-valkyria-chronicles-3

I know..I know..it's most probably an error..but good god..if this is true and if this game comes to vita...the vita can discontinue the day after for all I care

OMG.

RozenMaiden-Dance.gif

OMG.

Skyzard

Banned
What do you mean by that? Piracy was incredibly rampant on the DS and Wii.

Definitely, but for two reasons... Sony doesn't have as wide a target audience, their target, especially with the handheld has been the broke teenager who can and will pirate whereas nintendo successfully appeal to a broader group who still buy games.

Second reason they aren't as impacted is because Nintendo still publishes the best games for the system and will do that regardless of piracy...whereas Sony of course depends more on third-parties to ensure continued interest in their products..

I know the R4 did damage, but Nintendo could still profit with it..and third parties just see the userbase and want a piece. Not the same for Sony...imo of course.

zroid

Banned
their target, especially with the handheld has been the broke teenager who can and will pirate

Seems counterintuitive to target the broke teenager and then fleece them with overpriced, mandatory memory cards.

Maybe that's why no one is buying Vitas -- they've alienated their own target demographic!

Skyzard

Banned
Seems counterintuitive to target the broke teenager and then fleece them with overpriced, mandatory memory cards.

That's mainly why I don't think it has taken off yet..as well as the rest of the costs. They haven't pushed for the broader appeal strongly enough yet either. Although they will be able to pretty soon I think. Still wouldn't do as much as a price drop though. [edit: I don't know how they justify memory card prices tbh. - maybe exploiting/recouping costs from early-adopters..they're pushing it though - it can't actually cost near that much to make..? Pretty sure they made them essential to help push DLC and PSN/digital games...and the cards!]

Maybe that's why no one is buying Vitas -- they've alienated their own target demographic!

Yep, but there is wiggle room and games like LBP definitely help..---although what was that about Japan seeing LBP as a hardcore game? It does satisfy the challenge seeker in me though..maybe they meant the fans..hopefully - doubt it would be marketed too differently!

Ramune

Ok, I finally read through every page in this thread so far, and...I'm leaning heavy towards getting a White Vita when the ACIII:Liberation bundle releases. It's sort of an unofficial tradition for me, since I've gotten the white version of a portable since the original GBA, and the white PSP-1000, and a white DS Lite. I will probably snatch a white 3DS XL as well if they release one here (most likely a limited Black Friday edition with a Mario I'm predicting...)

Aaaanyway, to be frank, I'm disappointed at what SCEA is treating this thing. In fact, there was actually quite a bit of hype before concrete info on the system came out, at least in this house. We thought this thing was going to be quite something. Especially with the direction MS was going (Kinect) and Nintendo's 3DS launch at the time wasn't looking too hot, so Vita was something to look forward to! Others did too, as I was always asked if I'm going to get "the new PSP", since I tend to pull out my PSP-3000 during downtime at work. How foolish to think the system would be the PSP and more with TV out; able to play all the PSP/PS1 games on PSN; screenshots no matter what your doing much like the iPhone; no clue about single accounts; playing music, while chatting with people Xbox Live style, while playing a game be it Vita, PSP or PS1; and featuring region-free playability that the PSP and PS3 upheld( at the least, this happened)! But then Sony slowly unrolled the features and limitations and then the darn thing started sounding depressing. Especially the Memory Card requirement. I really think that right there killed ANY anticipation for the system. Now a days, I just get pestered with "Getting the new iPhone?!" inquires everyday. @_@

But I have been keeping tabs on the system, and know of a handful of people in the wild with one. I can count the number of games made for the Vita that I'd like to play with more than 2 hands, so I'll be content with what's out now, and look forward to whatever comes our way down the road. I enjoy my PSP, to the point where I would say it's my system of this generation. I still have a sizable backlog and the lure of playing them on the Vita's OLED is also quite compelling. I'll have to rebuy a good chunk, but thankfully, the main ones, the publishers put them on sale from time to time or they've been set to a more reasonable price at this point! It'll be different because I'm huge on owning my games physically.

It's a great system that's backed by poor marketing, but quite a few devs are doing great things with this machine, so I gotta support them regardless. And that's by actually owning the system and not being a side liner I guess. ^_-

OmegaZero

If you get one, I will personally welcome to the Vitabros by typing a sentence or two. Just for you.

But yeah, great post! I can see where you're coming from. IIRC, the copy of ACIII included with the bundle is a digital one, but I'm not completely sure.

Noi

What do you mean by that? Piracy was incredibly rampant on the DS and Wii.

Definitely, but for two reasons... Sony doesn't have as wide a target audience, their target, especially with the handheld has been the broke teenager who can and will pirate whereas nintendo successfully appeal to a broader group who still buy games.

Second reason they aren't as impacted is because Nintendo still publishes the best games for the system and will do that regardless of piracy...whereas Sony of course depends more on third-parties to ensure continued interest in their products..

I know the R4 did damage, but Nintendo could still profit with it..and third parties just see the userbase and want a piece. Not the same for Sony...imo of course.

Going from another perspective, Nintendo (currently) have less to lose with getting hacked than Sony does. At least, until they get off their asses and implement the damn account system everyone wants. :|

I do agree that they're currently overpriced, but I don't mind proprietary storage if it means keeping my account info safe.

zroid

Banned
Going from another perspective, Nintendo (currently) have less to lose with getting hacked than Sony does. At least, until they get off their asses and implement the damn account system everyone wants. :|

I do agree that they're currently overpriced, but I don't mind proprietary storage if it means keeping my account info safe.

I'd rather the account info be saved on the system and not the memory card (proprietary or otherwise), and not be tied to anything, but I guess we can't always have nice things, can we, Sony?

IIRC, your Club Nintendo account information gets saved on the 3DS (system) when you input it in the eShop. Not sure about that though.

kuroshiki

If Valkyria Chronicle 3 is indeed coming out in US I will fucking buy at very high price.

That's right Sega. Willing to shell out $59.99.

Skyzard

Banned
I'd rather the account info be saved on the system and not the memory card (proprietary or otherwise), and not be tied to anything, but I guess we can't always have nice things, can we, Sony?

I don't think the account system is saved at all at the moment, nor the settings - just the games...does the vita not have any storage of its own? Although it must lock the region to the memory card somehow I guess, you'd expect it wouldn't be through login details though.

zroid

Banned
I don't think the account system is saved at all at the moment, nor the settings - just the games...does the vita not have any storage of its own?

I just mean like your PSN ID/password. But never mind that is on the system. So I don't understand what having proprietary memory has to do with secure accounts then :<

Noi

Oh I'm not talking about the info being saved on the card, I'm talking about using any security defects from any third-party SD cards to hack the system wide-open. Or something of the sort, I dunno. I'd be less crabby about it if they were priced better. Plus I'd rather the region locked systems get hacked and have that crap disabled before the ones that aren't.

Then again, as shown by Nintendo with the Wii, the source for having your system opened up can come from anywhere, even their own games.

Skyzard

Banned
I just mean like your PSN ID/password. But never mind that is on the system. So I don't understand what having proprietary memory has to do with secure accounts then :<

I wasn't entirely sure either about that either to be honest. But perhaps he means down the line when hopefully they will be able to store settings and arrangements on the memory cards. Hopefully login details still won't be a part of that!

Edit, ah nvm! thanks for clarifying, good point. Although still the price seems a bit shady to me. Especially when they've made their own cards before..were they that overpriced then too?

zroid

Banned
Oh I'm not talking about the info being saved on the card, I'm talking about using any security defects from any third-party SD cards to hack the system wide-open.
Oooh, okay.

Well that seems a bit farfetched anyway. Like someone would have to get a hold of your system and then hack it via the memory card, right? I don't know why anyone would do that, and if you lose your system you could just change your password and deactivate it.

Edit, ah nvm! thanks for clarifying, good point. Although still the price seems a bit shady to me. Especially when they've made their own cards before..were they that overpriced then too?

I think Sony tried to charge boatloads for MSPDs for a while, but then they started getting made by other manufacturers and they had to drop the prices.

Noi

Edit, ah nvm! thanks for clarifying, good point. Although still the price seems a bit shady to me.

Yeah, like I said, even I'm not happy with the prices. I understand why they do it, since Sony have way more to lose from the Vita getting hacked (I imagine it'd be PSN 2011 all over again) than Nintendo, the former of which sells tons whenever they put out a game no matter how pirated the game is (or the quality of the game in general, but that's another story). But would it kill them to be easier on my pocket?

Oooh, okay.

Well that seems a bit farfetched anyway. Like someone would have to get a hold of your system and then hack it via the memory card, right? I don't know why anyone would do that, and if you lose your system you could just change your password and deactivate it.

Yeah, I guess. I'm a bit more confident about losing my Vita than I am my 3DS in the future, since Sony's already gone through those growing pains and has the systems in place to help with that. I can't imagine how long it'll take before Nintendo implement something like the SEN account management page.

Skyzard

Banned
Oooh, okay.

When you put it like that...it's not like the average thief would or could find and decrypt your password to buy some games either.

Yeah, like I said, even I'm not happy with the prices. I understand why they do it, since Sony have way more to lose from the Vita getting hacked (I imagine it'd be PSN 2011 all over again) than Nintendo, the former of which sells tons whenever they put out a game no matter how pirated the game is (or the quality of the game in general, but that's another story). But would it kill them to be easier on my pocket?

I agree...way too pricey in general. Especially digital games. Vita has been ok so far in the EU tbh though. Hopefully we'll see some cuts next year..

Judging by the RCR tweets, I'm expecting an announcement any day for RCR..can't wait. JSR is getting closer too.

Was NFSMW confirmed to be delayed yet? I wouldn't be too surprised...tbh even for S&S All-stars transformed either :( fffooootttaaaageee

Noi

I agree...way too pricey in general. Especially digital games. Vita has been ok so far in the EU tbh though. Hopefully we'll see some cuts next year..

TBQH, I'm not too bitchy about digital prices as much as others, mostly because I just see it as indicative as to how the current retail mold is utterly broken. Though I do agree with most that they should be more aggresive about the digital pricing and set an example, more so their own titles, but having a game release for it's full price on day one and having it drop by half in a month or two really shouldn't be the norm, imo. It might as well have been lower from the start.

Skyzard

Banned
TBQH, I'm not too bitchy about digital prices as much as others, mostly because I just see it as indicative as to how the current retail mold is utterly broken. Though I do agree with most that they should be more aggresive about the digital pricing and set an example, more so their own titles, but having a game release for it's full price on day one and having it drop by half in a month or two really shouldn't be the norm, imo. It might as well have been lower from the start.

That's true, but some games really do need a price-drop..modnation deserved it, not sure why everybody's golf got slashed so much but I'm glad it did. I'm not against digital sales either.. :)

I'm hoping that the digital pricing issues is hust related to not bothering to keep track of any promotions when the new revamped store is rumored for next month. Also a big digital "sale" would be the perfect vehicle for getting people online to check out said revamp.

Noi

That's true, but some games really do need a price-drop..modnation deserved it, not sure why everybody's golf got slashed so much but I'm glad it did. I'm not against digital sales either.. :)

Oh, I know they do. I've been waiting for Parappa PSP to get a price drop since... well, a long time now. ;_;

zroid

Banned
but having a game release for it's full price on day one and having it drop by half in a month or two really shouldn't be the norm, imo. It might as well have been lower from the start.

Well, I don't know about that. I believe games should be priced at what consumers are willing to pay. There will always be a subset of people who will pay that premium to have a game on day one, and they will pony up those $60 or $40 or whatever.

If a 50% drop happens in a month then so be it; the game was too expensive to continue to sell at the initial price point, so it was necessary.

Bittercup

I'm a bit undecided about the Silent Hill Demo. Haven't had the time to play it through, just the first level and some of the second. So far I think the game is mostly ok.
I really like the music and it's nice to create your own character.
Combat is ok, mostly just pressing the same button until the monster is defeated without much tactic. Maybe it becomes interesting later on. The first level plays more like a tutorial level anyway. And I like that they kept the weapons durability from downpour, that you need to find new ones after they break.
Overall it could be a fun game, leveling up your character and finding better items. Not sure if you really need multiplayer to have fun as well.
The worst thing about the demo for me was the voice acting.
Not that it was particularly bad, but my female character has this typical tough teenage girl acting which destroyed a lot of atmosphere for me. Shouldn't she be at least a bit scared with all those monsters? :/ And yeah the "they look like monsters to you?" comment from the Downpour-postman/BoM-shopkeeper was a bit lame as well.
The ridiculously long loading times really needs to be fixed. I don't know when was the last time I had a game loading that long. And it's especially bad if you die and the game first shows a slow animation of the book closing until the retry button appears and then loads the complete level again with the same long loading times the first time.
The demo isn't hard but if the later levels will be more difficult and dying more common this could really ruin the game.

I will play the demo again and will probably buy the full game as well, just not sure about whether to buy it now or later with a price drop.

I'm a bit undecided about the Silent Hill Demo. Haven't had the time to play it through, just the first level and some of the second. So far I think the game is mostly ok.
I really like the music and it's nice to create your own character.
Combat is ok, mostly just pressing the same button until the monster is defeated without much tactic. Maybe it becomes interesting later on. The first level plays more like a tutorial level anyway. And I like that they kept the weapons durability from downpour, that you need to find new ones after they break.
Overall it could be a fun game, leveling up your character and finding better items. Not sure if you really need multiplayer to have fun as well.
The worst thing about the demo for me was the voice acting.
Not that it was particularly bad, but my female character has this typical tough teenage girl acting which destroyed a lot of atmosphere for me. Shouldn't she be at least a bit scared with all those monsters? :/ And yeah the "they look like monsters to you?" comment from the Downpour-postman/BoM-shopkeeper was a bit lame as well.
The ridiculously long loading times really needs to be fixed. I don't know when was the last time I had a game loading that long. And it's especially bad if you die and the game first shows a slow animation of the book closing until the retry button appears and then loads the complete level again with the same long loading times the first time.
The demo isn't hard but if the later levels will be more difficult and dying more common this could really ruin the game.

I will play the demo again and will probably buy the full game as well, just not sure about whether to buy it now or later with a price drop.

Demo is up for NA?

Skyzard

Banned
Oh, I know they do. I've been waiting for Parappa PSP to get a price drop since... well, a long time now. ;_;

PSP games prices especially...come on guys..better prices. Would help many existing PSP owners ditch their UMD collection at least. Would love to play tekken again..I bet that looks and plays great on vita.

Skyzard

Banned
Pretty awesome that the price of last year's fifa is still $40 even with the "new" one releasing this week.

PSN Prices! WOOOOO!

dirt cheap retail though ;) Some prices are ridiculous though, £50 ? insane...AU is like $100 iirc.

Does the new version actually run better though, I did hear something about the performance difference but I'm not sure..

I'm back and HOLY FUCK ON A FUCK SANDWICH, if that valkyria chronicles news it true then... Then... Screw vita - Sega saved.

Edit: anyone got any impressions of edf yet?

kitch9

Banned
sigh, Sony is so paranoid in avoiding piracy and other thing, that they just keep implementing a lot of annoying stuff hoping their fanbase just endure it for them. it's 2012, I was surprised to how much of a hassle I find that I need to use data cable to transfer files to Vita from ps3. I got used with wireless transfer like Kies Air on my Smartphone and technology wise, I don't think it's outside of Vita's capabilities to just connect to ps3 via local wifi and transfer file that way.

as well as the whole one account per vita thing, I wish all account info, vita setting etc are stored on mem card, and I don't need to format vita when I switch mem card, would be so nice if I just put put JP account memcard and my Vita instantly changed to my Jp region vita, complete with my wallpaper/bubble placement/wifi setting and everything.

Sigh all you want, piracy wrecked the PSP......

zroid

Banned
I still have this fantasy about game cards that allow full installs. It would never work with an optical disc since there's no way to "deactivate" it, but in theory after installing a game from a card, it should be possible to do that. (And then, subsequently, reactivate the card when you uninstall the game).

I dunno about logistics, but like I said, it's my fantasy :>

Ramune

If you get one, I will personally welcome to the Vitabros by typing a sentence or two. Just for you.

But yeah, great post! I can see where you're coming from. IIRC, the copy of ACIII included with the bundle is a digital one, but I'm not completely sure.

Thanks Omega, I was afraid I was getting TL;DR there. -_-;

Although hearing that Liberations will be a digital version is news to me. I mean I'm used to there not being a full blown retail case in Sony's system bundles, cheap cardboard inserts usually take their place, but I'd be shocked! Is this a recent thing Sony's doing?!

Skyzard

Banned
Thanks Omega, I was afraid I was getting TL;DR there. -_-;

Although hearing that Liberations will be a digital version is news to me. I mean I'm used to there not being a full blown retail case in Sony's system bundles, cheap cardboard inserts usually take their place, but I'd be shocked! Is this a recent thing Sony's doing?!

Haha, never heard it put like that.

edit- i did read it though!

Skyzard

Banned
Seems like they intentionally raise digital prices compared to retail everywhere... seems counter intuitive but retail is great publicity..

Less and less with internet shopping though..

It's not like digital doesn't have other drawbacks with the price of memory cards these days. Guess they think their backup method is sufficient or retail is still more significant then I was giving them credit for.

Random...but man I'd love Alien Hominid on this.

Sorry, last question about Uncharted Golden Abyss: how long is the game. Gametrailers review claimed 10 hours, but i heard it can be longer.

kerrak

Silent Hill demo was ok to me. The leveling system + artifacts, weapon durability, health/tools/ammo management, combat with combos + executions and the puzzles could potentially lead to a good game. But the demo is only part of the game. According to the manual there are aspects as multiplayer, karma, and others that could greatly improve (or not) the overall gameplay.
I couldn't manage to finish the final boss, because i went with the wrong weapons/strategy.
I'll wait for some impressions/reviews, but this is a game where i know general consensus won't necessarily match my tastes.

Ken

Is there a way to change the credit card on a PSN account without having that old card? I was using pre-paid cards before and want to change it (so it doesn't prompt me for them later) but I threw out all the pre-paid cards awhile ago so I have no idea what their security codes or CC numbers were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom