• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 through 360 was the Attitude Era for videogames

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
GUEST_adf7cbe6-89de-4f92-b8c3-0328d6e9c134

Do you think we get a Vegas 3? Frankly that theme was a risk for Ubisoft and they DOUBLED DOWN on Vegas.

I feel like The Division is basically the new R6Vegas

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
If only. I wish we got a new R6 Vegas. Something like Ready or Not with just a little more emphasis on single player, and just one small step toward the "arcade" side of the spectrum. A brand new R6 Vegas campaign is all I want.

I take it Siege aint your bag?

SHA

They both run dvds, what do you expect? Perfect balance in all aspects, length, plot, gameplay, characters presentation, bosses, music, sequels, verity, number of exclusives and 3rd party games, games were sold out just for seeing the logo without even knowing what it is.

Kupfer

BennyBlanco BennyBlanco
Just bought Rogue Warrior for two bucks. The video you posted made me want to play this stupid fun.

Plus some more from that era:

Punisher, Manhunt, Soldier of Fortune I & II ... those were the days

I also had a ton of fun with the Army of Two and Kane & Lynch series.

We lack this kind of edgy AA games.

Last edited:

Fahdis

Add Chad Daddy Warden and you have it all encapsulated in 1 person. The era that is. Make games ABAP again!

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
Videogames are more expensive. If you're gambling with 100 million+ Eurodollars you don't want to take creative risks.

We still have indies who do what they want.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
BennyBlanco BennyBlanco
Just bought Rogue Warrior for two bucks. The video you posted made me want to play this stupid fun.

Plus some more from that era:

Punisher, Manhunt, Soldier of Fortune I & II ... those were the days

I also had a ton of fun with the Army of Two and Kane & Lynch series.

We lack this kind of edgy AA games.

Rogue Warrior is absolutely hilarious and worth playing just for Demo Dick’s one liners

RIP to the real guy. I bet his book is gold.

marcinko.jpg

Puscifer

Everything was edgy as fuck for no reason. Games were constantly using hilarious morality systems that let you be a giant asshole.

What if we made a game about roided up juice monkeys killing poorly designed monsters and the guns had fuckin chainsaws on them? What if we made a trilogy of space opera RPGs that let you be the virtuous savior of the galaxy or you let you be a weird genocidal psychopath? What if we made a fighting game and all the girls had giant tits? All of this was greenlit by major publishers at the time.

It ruled. Devs were simply making games as fun as possible and everything else was secondary. Games were for the nerds and nobody gave a shit.

We are now firmly in the PG era. It’s hard to even pinpoint when things changed but they definitely did. Maybe when the industry made the collective choice to run nearly everything out of California. Everything must be focus tested and ran through diversity consultants so as not to entertain or offend anyone. Every AAA game out of the west is boring and predictable schlock. Games like Helldivers and Palworld just being fun games to play and massively outselling AAA junk like Suicide Squad should be a wakeup call to publishers but they will take all the wrong lessons from it.

You could reasonably make the argument that games were disproportionately making 30 something white guy protags. Everyone looked like commander shepard for a while there. But the pendulum swung way too far in the other direction. That Insomniac video about how they’re “not making games for white people” and the Black Panther dev saying she wont hire whites is insane. I would bet my life savings that nobody back in the day sat down in a room and said “this game isn’t for black people” or “we don’t hire black people”.

Makes me sick to see how far the big publishers have fallen off. EA, Ubisoft, and Activision barely even make games anymore. MS and Sony are both absolutely steeped in this new age shit.

Bring back the attitude era. The industry is so boring now and rotten with grifters who don’t care about making fun videogames. Indies and a select few JP studios are carrying.

Far as I'm concerned, for better or worse, Manhunt 2 changed the industry. The self censorship from Rockstar was nuts and it bled over into other games.

Not related to the subject in question but the PS2/360 era was the best when it comes to horror games. I think some part of it is nostalgia at work but I genuinely think the genre went downhill hard the last decade+, at least in the AAA/AA landscape.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Developers need to bring back the 'tude into gaming again. It direly needs it.

There has to be some western AA studio out there that has the balls to be the "punk rockers" of games.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Rogue Warrior is absolutely hilarious and worth playing just for Demo Dick’s one liners
Absolutely. I just played a short session yesterday and the game is so stupid, these one liners and the b-movie setting, you feel like you're playing a Steven Seagal movie.
We'll see if it holds up over a few hours, but the $2 was well worth it

Trilobit

GVGG1Kh.jpeg

Young me when I learned you could punch competitors in my freshly bought snowboard game:

iYLkect.jpeg

Edit: I just looked at the other examples in the thread and mine is a Teletubby game in comparison, but I'd never been much for violent games so this was pretty rad.

Last edited:

fatmarco

I loved the style of 2, too bad it was short AF and people hated it back then, still the closest thing we've got a Michael Mann style game.
I replayed 1 and 2 again recently.

I feel like 2 holds up really well. There's so much artistic intent and cool ideas within that game that hasn't been appreciated, and it's a tragedy it's been forgotten the way it has.

Just a great cold, mean and gritty experience.

Top Bottom