• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Benefits for 1080p TV Owners (general and game-specific)

For a supposed 4K console the extra 1 GB of slow memory isn't really good enough, it only allows the larger framebuffer. PS4 Pro is still stuck with textures meant for 1080p. Sony should've added more memory like Scorpio will. 4K sharpness will only make the low quality textures stand out more.

Bramble

I need more information on BF1 patch. What will this mean to 1080p owners? Any news?

Native 1080p and a much more stable framerate.

For a supposed 4K console the extra 1 GB of slow memory isn't really good enough, it only allows the larger framebuffer. PS4 Pro is still stuck with textures meant for 1080p. Sony should've added more memory like Scorpio will. 4K sharpness will only make the low quality textures stand out more.

The slow memory is meant for the OS.

Oneself

It's 512megs and you can create a similar thread for the Scorpio if you want.

McHuj

Did DICE confirm this?

The BF1 patch is all I'm waiting for to decide whether I want this this year or not.

Same here, I cancelled my preorder yesterday. But maybe BF1 info will pull me back in.

I'm surprised that there has been zero info on that at this point.

Arttemis

Well, it's interesting to note that a lot of the big games released this month that will be getting PRO modes already -do- target 60 fps. And whatever shortcomings they have in reaching that (Battlefield 1 Conquest multiplayer) should be vastly improved.

Titanfall 2, Battlefield, Call of Duty Infinite Warfare / Modern Warefare are the three games that a lot of people are focusing on, and all three are games designed to run at 60 fps on everything. It'd be pointless to run them at 120fps.

Right now I think it's far easier for developers to patch older games by increasing pixel count than brute forcing 30fps to 60fps. Which is why we're seeing older legacy games like Uncharted 4 and Ratchet and Clank take the cheaper way out and just include higher pixel counts. The fact that Uncharted 4 MP runs at 1080p at 60 fps with mostly equivalent visual settings and all that chaos compared to single player tells me it can be done. But at this point, it's just not worth it to retool your entire single player campaign to get it there. Honestly, how much more is Uncharted 4 going to sell because of this. Great game, but people have moved on.

I do however feel games that are currently in development, will try to make an effort to do a 1080p 60 fps mode versus a 4k 30 fps mode. Much like we see in Nioh and Tomb Raider.

I just think trying to double your framerate on a CPU that's only 35% better on a game that's already been released just isn't worth it financially. But, on a games that is yet to come out, it might be worth an investment to see what you can do in having two main option modes. One focusing on high resolution and the other focusing on high framerate. And hopefully Sony standardizes what developers call it. I like Cinema vs Action. Simple two setting toggle in the options so people don't complain that consoles are getting too complicated or whatever nonsense.

Great post.

That's a shame. Has people actually tested this ? If it clocks down, there might still be a real world difference.

Yes, DF did. It clocks down to identical performance (within +/- 1%) in unpatched games.

Can anyone confirm that the Share recordings are definitely now capable of 1080p/60fps? If so that's a huge boon for me, but last I heard it was 1080 @ 30fps?

psychotron

Thank you for this thread. I'm really excited for the Pro. Supersampling and a more solid frame rate is huge to me.

Planet

Can anyone confirm that the Share recordings are definitely now capable of 1080p/60fps?
That probably was a misinterpretation. The recording still runs at 30 fps, just in 1080p now instead of 720p. But you can stream to e.g. YouTube or use Share Play / Remote Play in 1080p at 60 fps now.
How is that false?
You "corrected" Garuda1One who rightfully said the PS4 Pro has 1 GB of additional RAM. He never said it was all open for game development.
PS4 Pro is still stuck with textures meant for 1080p.
That is intentional. Yes it does not give you the full benefits of what a beefy PC can do in 4K, but it still looks better than using a regular PS4. Also they wanted to keep the additional development costs for a Pro mode low, higher resolution textures don't come for free. And even if they were already made for a PC version, they would have an impact on BD space / download time.

PS4 Pro is all about compromise, it might not be for you, but they achieved something remarkable.

Rise of the Tomb Raider doesn't run at 60 fps on a regular PS4, does it? Neither does inFAMOUS I think? Or Nioh.

I think all three of those games have uncapped framerates and don't consistently run near 60fps. Maybe Nioh in the lower graphics mode. I remember infamous being around 30-40fps mostly, but would get close to 60 when light on action.

The slow memory is meant for the OS.

Yes, I'm aware. The added 1GB of DDR3 will allow the OS to allocate 512 MB of the faster GDDR5 for games to use mostly for the larger 4K frame buffer that takes a few hundred extra megabytes compared to a 1080p frame buffer depending on how it's constructed. What it won't allow though is the higher quality texture work more suitable for 4K.

I'm just questioning Sony's logic with doing this upgrade right now. It's not hitting the 4K target in most titles, or allow for 60 FPS, and it's not even benefiting non-patched games. At best it's 4K "ready", and even HDR is patched into the old consoles so that's not a selling point either. The only real point for PS4 Pro launching right now would be the extra power for PSVR, but even for that the lackluster CPU upgrade isn't fitting. As a whole PSVR and PS4 Pro don't seem compelling enough for mainstream, nor powerful enough for a high end offering. Both seem to be here before their time, and lacking in tech and software support. It's good that Sony's pushing for these things, but to me it seems like they just took a half-step too early.

I think it would've been better if Sony had waited for next year like MS. I have no interest in getting a Scorpio, but I do prefer MS's strategy with this upgrade. It makes a whole lot more sense as a truly higher end option, especially if they manage to bring improvements to old games without a separate patching process (which I feel there's a decent chance, but not guaranteed). I feel Sony dropped the ball with requiring devs to make specific 4K patches, and they probably milk some extra money from publishers to validate those patches. Otherwise they would've actually had to put in some effort into making sure the old games worked right with better specs, or at least make a toggle as an option for those games that do work. They chose the easy way that benefited them more than the potential customers.

Jacob4815

Infamous Second Son

Regular PS4, two modes:
- Framerate locked to 30, 1080p, sligthly better visuals
- Framerate uncapped over 30 fps (45?), 1080p

PRO, two modes.
- Framerate locked to 30, 1800p (1080p supersampled or 4k checkerboarding), better visuals
- Framerate 50/60 fps, 1080p native, visuals as regular PS4

Is this correct?

Planet

I think it would've been better if Sony had waited for next year like MS.
The good thing about Scorpio is, that it is absolutely free of any compromises. But that is just a result of it not existing yet, and us not knowing any hard facts about it. Wait a year and see what it really is, before you judge.

especially if they manage to bring improvements to old games without a separate patching process (which I feel there's a decent chance, but not guaranteed).
So Scorpio magically receives 4K textures without patches? Great stuff! XD

We don't know anything about how Scorpio will work with Xbox One games.

That said, I do wish Sony would add an expert option with warnings and yadda yadda that lets us play every old game with full upgraded CPU and GPU clockrate on Pro. Even better on a game by game basis, so keep the games where that won't work at deault without switching back and forth.

Even in videos, tomb raider looks so good. Uncharted too.

vlcsnap-2016-11-07-198djh9.png

vlcsnap-2016-11-07-23vrk19.png

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Excellent topic OP, hopefully now we can just point to this topic when anyone has concerns about 1080p .

The good thing about Scorpio is, that it is absolutely free of any compromises. But that is just a result of it not existing yet, and us not knowing any hard facts about it. Wait a year and see what it really is, before you judge.

So Scorpio magically receives 4K textures without patches? Great stuff! XD

We don't know anything about how Scorpio will work with Xbox One games.

That said, I do wish Sony would add an expert option with warnings and yadda yadda that lets us play every old game with full upgraded CPU and GPU clockrate on Pro. Even better on a game by game basis, so keep the games where that won't work at deault without switching back and forth.

I did not claim any sort of magic 4K textures without patches. If that's what you got from my post, go read it again. With new games or with separate patches, the 12 GB should allow for a decent amount of asset improvement. The non-patched default improvements would mostly be about more stable frame rates for games that really aren't stable 30/60 FPS at all on PS4 or One.

We don't know how Scorpio will work with current games, which I also adressed in my post. Yet we do know One S is already exhibiting a different performance profile. Granted it's not significant, but it's not identical either. In reality I don't see the more powerful hardware to cause significant issues with older games, and if there's a few edge cases, Sony could've dealt with them instead of dropping the PS4 Pro to PS4 performance levels and leave it at that. MS still out on this and we'll see how they handle it. Considering Scorpio is not just a doubled up One with higher clocks, they'll certainly have to handle things a bit differently. Sony's design was about minimum effort for compatibility, and Scorpio doesn't really follow that line of thinking.

Should probably mention that the slim also has 5gb wifi since you occasionally compare the pro to the slim.

I was almost convinced by this topic until I saw the price difference between slim and pro is bigger where I am (almost twice the price). The upcoming bundled ps4/software packages for Japanese games also use the slim rather than the pro so I think it is doubtful (and not really surprising) that Japanese games wont see much improvement from the pro if those are what you are after (ryu ga gotoku)

Peltz

Remember when people wouldn't shut up about how difficult it would be to implement these changes and have "options" like on PC and how crappy that would be. I remember. GAF seems pretty happy now.
I do remember this. Personally, I don't think this changes things. There are only 2 or 3 preloaded settings to chose from. I think console gamers would be far less thrilled if forced to grapple with the granularity of control over graphics that PC gamers have.

These preloaded choices are a happy medium.

icespide

Banned
Remember when people wouldn't shut up about how difficult it would be to implement these changes and have "options" like on PC and how crappy that would be. I remember. GAF seems pretty happy now.
It's almost like people aren't a hive mind and have different opinions

Humdinger

Good thread, OP. Thank you.

As a 1080p owner, I went back and forth about whether to get a Pro in the first couple days after the announcement, because Sony wasn't saying much and the info was so sketchy. But now it seems very clear -- 1080p owners get substantial benefits. I got most of that info from GAF. Thanks for helping to put it all together.

noomi

So I'm curious about the better video recording/sharing option.

1080p @ 30 or even 60fps will be a nice boost to what we currently have. I imagine the encoding software will be better as well.... hopefully.

I wonder if uploading straight to youtube from the console will give the 1080P option, or if we will need to extract to USB and then upload. Normally extracting to USB provides a better image quality for the video....

otapnam

I do remember this. Personally, I don't think this changes things. There are only 2 or 3 preloaded settings to chose from. I think console gamers would be far less thrilled if forced to grapple with the granularity of control over graphics that PC gamers have.

These preloaded choices are a happy medium.

Yep. all the different available settings on PC made sense since everyone has different systems running all over the place.

We just have ps og and ps4 pro. 4k or 1080. Not too many variables

So no 60 fps in most games and mostly additional effects / improvements...

Well, that pretty much settles it for me. I was on the fence about selling my original model and getting a Pro later on 2017, but if things are going to be like this I will keep mine for exclusive titles and go back to PC gaming for the rest.

So no 60 fps in most games and mostly additional effects / improvements...

Well, that pretty much settles it for me. I was on the fence about selling my original model and getting a Pro later on 2017, but if things are going to be like this I will keep mine for exclusive titles and go back to PC gaming for the rest.

Yup seems like a serious misstep by Sony.

I will hold out to see what Microsoft offers with the scorpio.

Top Bottom