• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Benefits for 1080p TV Owners (general and game-specific)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Remember when people wouldn't shut up about how difficult it would be to implement these changes and have "options" like on PC and how crappy that would be. I remember. GAF seems pretty happy now.

That's a strawman.

If you have a more powerful platform like Pro that is basically running the equivalent of current gen PS4 games, of course it will have the leeway to provide options.

On a standard XB1 and PS4, that is generally much harder to accomplish without careful optimization that most developers are unable to accomplish just optimizing for the base game to run smoothly in general, especially on their dedicated hardware pipelines.

Sony have said they worked hard at minimizing the amount of effort needed to optimize for Pro on that basis. We can assume if they carry the "Pro" label forward, their numbered consoles will be the base limitation of the generation and the Pro will be the halfway iterative unit to give more oomph, just like what was promised.

Aces&Eights

Question about the Tomb Raider modes: Can you start a game on one mode then toggle to the others on the same game save for comparison? I will most likely go with the targeted 60fps mode but would like to switch between the other two, while in game, to get an idea of how they look and run.

DESTROYA

So we get better image quality? Sign me up!
Do we also get more FPS in games that are pro patched? Lastly games that are pro enabled will we also see higher more stable FPS in games over the OG PS4?
I'm at work so sneaking in some questions, sorry if they have already been answered but can't read entire thread or boss gets pissed.

Bramble

So we get better image quality? Sign me up!
Do we also get more FPS in games that are pro patched? Lastly games that are pro enabled will we also see higher more stable FPS in games over the OG PS4?
I'm at work so sneaking in some questions, sorry if they have already been answered but can't read entire thread or boss gets pissed.

That is all up to the developer.

GreekWolf

Even in videos, tomb raider looks so good. Uncharted too.

vlcsnap-2016-11-07-198djh9.png

Beautiful. My only concern now is which option will provide the best image quality - 1080p mode with all the bells and whistles or 4k downsampled to 1080p?

You can already stream at 720p @ 60 fps on a base PS4. I'm sure you can stream 1080p @60 fps on the Pro.

As for as capturing is concerned, not sure.

You can stream at 60 fps (only available for Youtube) but not record at the same time. Although you can use the archive on YouTube.

You can stream at 30 frames (Youtube/Twitch/Dailymotion) and capture the last hour at 30 frames at the same time.

You can capture at 30 frames the last hour of gameplay at 720p (PS4 OG) and 1080p (PS4 PRO)

You can't capture at 60 frames per second at the moment.

Yup seems like a serious misstep by Sony.

I will hold out to see what Microsoft offers with the scorpio.

Kinda. For some people it will be interesting, but I'm the kind of persons that values framerate over bling. I used to disable everything I could to achieve that on PC, so making the graphics prettier does not work for me. The possibility of getting faster load times, though...

BumRush

Somewhat unrelated, but I keep forgetting about 1080/60 remote play. Almost worth it for that alone, if you have a good Internet connection.

ghibli99

^ Very good point!

Even though I have a 4K, I'm just as interested in the 1080p benefits the Pro will bring to the table... in some cases, even more so! Can't wait, and thanks for this thread. :)

nowhoney

Question about the Tomb Raider modes: Can you start a game on one mode then toggle to the others on the same game save for comparison? I will most likely go with the targeted 60fps mode but would like to switch between the other two, while in game, to get an idea of how they look and run.
I'm like 99% certain that on one of Kinda Funny's exclusive gamescasts (where Greg interviewed a dev from Crystal), he confirmed that you can switch on the fly whilst playing (i.e. pause, change setting, carry on playing).

ViciousDS

Banned
I'm not sure what to do though. Games like tomb raider I would rather play in 1080p mode due to the enhancements compared to just 4K check rendering with the OG graphics

any idea on this guys? Really wondering if 1080p full bells and whistles if offered by a game would be better. You would get probably a more stable framerate, better shadows, view distance possibly......would be better than just the simple checkerboard rendering to 4k

Thanks to everyone who has contributed information! I also appreciate the kind words about the thread. I will continue to update the OP as long as new info keeps coming.

I had added the following based on what a poster said:
- Faster game loading from the default 1TB hard drive

Is anyone able to find a source on that? If not, I'll take it off the list.

MADGAME

Do we know if/when the new DS4 controllers with lower latency when plugged in can be purchased individually?

And if able to, can they be used on OG PS4 with same benefit?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
any idea on this guys? Really wondering if 1080p full bells and whistles if offered by a game would be better. You would get probably a more stable framerate, better shadows, view distance possibly......would be better than just the simple checkerboard rendering to 4k

Personally, i'd choose downsampling from the high resolution mode. The marginal graphics settings increases of PC games, especially on Tomb Raider are way less dramatic in most circumstances than the raw clarity that comes from the higher pixel count PC gaming gives games. In Tomb Raider especially, you'll notice the lack of jagged edges and sub pixel shimmer far more than the marginal graphics increases at a much lower resolution which those marginal graphics increases are harder to perceive.

ViciousDS

Banned
Personally, i'd choose downsampling from the high resolution mode. The marginal graphics settings increases of PC games, especially on Tomb Raider are way less dramatic in most circumstances than the raw clarity that comes from the higher pixel count PC gaming gives games. In Tomb Raider especially, you'll notice the lack of jagged edges and sub pixel shimmer far more than the marginal graphics increases at a much lower resolution which those marginal graphics increases are harder to perceive.

So.....4k mode it is then!!!

Although I will be in the 1080p department when I'm on the move with my monitor.....27 inch with downsampling is going to be bullshot mode heaven

Hoping to snag a KS8000 to replace my 800D this black friday

Thanks Inu!

Your wording is weird though

you mention downsampling first.......but then talk about how pixel count is much more important relating to the 4k checkerboard method.....you kind of swung both ways with that answer XD

viHuGi

Banned
Honestly I can't wait to play Mass Effect Andromeda on both modes and Horizon Zero dawn, I just can't wait omg!

Top Bottom