• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Benefits for 1080p TV Owners (general and game-specific)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So.....4k mode it is then!!!

Although I will be in the 1080p department when I'm on the move with my monitor.....27 inch with downsampling is going to be bullshot mode heaven

Hoping to snag a KS8000 to replace my 800D this black friday

Thanks Inu!

Your wording is weird though

you mention downsampling first.......but then talk about how pixel count is much more important relating to the 4k checkerboard method.....you kind of swung both ways with that answer XD

Maybe i can explain what i meant better...

Your still internally rendering a much higher resolution image in the 4K checkerboard rendering mode than the native 1080p rendering modes, so regardless of which kind of TV you have, be it 4K or 1080p, that higher resolution image is going to be much more pronounced and noticeable than the graphics settings.

My view is to only pick the 1080p mode if you want the higher FPS of the original Tomb Raider definitive edition. The 1080p graphics mode is nigh on useless

Thank you lord.
This is what i hope all games will have from now on on the Pro.
From a jaggy game to a pixar movie

Looks really nice but shame about the pop in. Pretty fuckin sick of it in games tbh and its become the new 'jaggy irritation' to me at least!

I mean look at Horizon Zero Dawn too. Can Developers not dial down detail if it needs to be popped in instead?

Curufinwe

Looks really nice but shame about the pop in. Pretty fuckin sick of it in games tbh and its become the new 'jaggy irritation' to me at least!

I mean look at Horizon Zero Dawn too. Can Developers not dial down detail if it needs to be popped in instead?

52684258.jpg

Yeah well, some day. I can say that pop in doesn't bother me as much as jaggies.
But sure, pop in is a factor that makes games a bit less immersive.

no pics/videos yet but infinite warfare looks extremely sharp/clean on my 10 year old Panasonic 1080p plasma and new ps pro. will try uc4, rachet and super stardust. hope doom gets patched eventually...

Probably not until release day. Makes we worry it won't be as significant as I had hoped. IF the framerate isn't improved over the PS4 version I'm skipping it.

Really hope we will get surprised. I mean, 30% increase in CPU and double the gpu should help to improve the framerate in big multiplayer matches, right?

Grechy34

Really hope we will get surprised. I mean, 30% increase in CPU and double the gpu should help to improve the framerate in big multiplayer matches, right?

Wasn't multiplayer going to be the same across the board in that both the OG PS4 and the Pro were going to output the same performance FPS wise in order for it to be fair online? Not sure I'm right about this though.

Wasn't multiplayer going to be the same across the board in that both the OG PS4 and the Pro were going to output the same performance FPS wise in order for it to be fair online? Not sure I'm right about this though.

No. It's about the target Framerate. A game targeting 30fps in multiplayer won't be patched to target 60fps.
But Battlefield 1 is already targeting 60fps in multiplayer. It's just not stable, goes into the 40s and even 30s, jumping forth and back. So they can improve the framerate with the pro patch, bringing it closer to the targeted 60fps.

They are already doing that in Titanfall 2 with the pro patch.

It most definitely should. I want to say that GPU was the biggest problem. The fog by itself seemed to really drag down performance.

No. It's about the target Framerate. A game targeting 30fps in multiplayer won't be patched to target 60fps.
But Battlefield 1 is already targeting 60fps in multiplayer. It's just not stable, goes into the 40s and even 30s, jumping forth and back. So they can improve the framerate with the pro patch, bringing it closer to the targeted 60fps.

This is the primary reason I got a Pro.

Grechy34

I still think these are some of the issues that split the userbase although that's a separate discussion. Awesome for Pro owners though. :)

Hawk269

Any information on how Elders Scrolls Online is running at 4k? My worry is that on the positive it will be native 4k, but will it be rock solid 30fps?

PepperedHam

I still think these are some of the issues that split the userbase although that's a separate discussion. Awesome for Pro owners though. :)
Yeah especially for BF1 as the frame drops in certain 64 player situations are total shit compared to the pretty solid TF2.

It isn't gamebreaking but base PS4 performance becomes second tier in comparison, which is the point of the new box but it's kind of sad for those not upgrading. I'm likely getting a Pro if the BF1 patch rocks but it would be nice if in addition Dice spent some time tuning things down a bit for base hardware to get those frames back.

Yes, I'm aware. The added 1GB of DDR3 will allow the OS to allocate 512 MB of the faster GDDR5 for games to use mostly for the larger 4K frame buffer that takes a few hundred extra megabytes compared to a 1080p frame buffer depending on how it's constructed. What it won't allow though is the higher quality texture work more suitable for 4K.

I'm just questioning Sony's logic with doing this upgrade right now. It's not hitting the 4K target in most titles, or allow for 60 FPS, and it's not even benefiting non-patched games. At best it's 4K "ready", and even HDR is patched into the old consoles so that's not a selling point either. The only real point for PS4 Pro launching right now would be the extra power for PSVR, but even for that the lackluster CPU upgrade isn't fitting. As a whole PSVR and PS4 Pro don't seem compelling enough for mainstream, nor powerful enough for a high end offering. Both seem to be here before their time, and lacking in tech and software support. It's good that Sony's pushing for these things, but to me it seems like they just took a half-step too early.

I think it would've been better if Sony had waited for next year like MS. I have no interest in getting a Scorpio, but I do prefer MS's strategy with this upgrade. It makes a whole lot more sense as a truly higher end option, especially if they manage to bring improvements to old games without a separate patching process (which I feel there's a decent chance, but not guaranteed). I feel Sony dropped the ball with requiring devs to make specific 4K patches, and they probably milk some extra money from publishers to validate those patches. Otherwise they would've actually had to put in some effort into making sure the old games worked right with better specs, or at least make a toggle as an option for those games that do work. They chose the easy way that benefited them more than the potential customers.

Maybe you should build your own console seeing how you know much more than Sony on how to build a console and sell 50,000,000 of them. lmao. Fact is 4k and hdr are still relatively luxury items and not everyone have them yet, as evidenced by this thread. All that talk about the Scorpio is all assumptions. I highly doubt the difference in the graphics between the pro and scorpio will be that big considering it's only a 45% theoretical increase in power over the pro, close to the 40% increase in power the base ps4 has over the xbox one. And it will also come at a premium. This decision was the best for the everyone as they can keep the price down and still provide a more powerful ps4.

pottuvoi

Banned
Yes, I'm aware. The added 1GB of DDR3 will allow the OS to allocate 512 MB of the faster GDDR5 for games to use mostly for the larger 4K frame buffer that takes a few hundred extra megabytes compared to a 1080p frame buffer depending on how it's constructed. What it won't allow though is the higher quality texture work more suitable for 4K.
Even more reason for games to adopt virtual texturing as it decouples texture resolution from amount of memory used.

Melchiah

Thanks to everyone who has contributed information! I also appreciate the kind words about the thread. I will continue to update the OP as long as new info keeps coming.

Thanks for the effort of making the thread, where all the information is collected.

madmackem

Well the target fps on base ps4 is 60 it just drops from there so being a more locked 60 wouldn't be breaking those rules at all.

madmackem

How will that spilt base though, it's a variable how much the drop might effect you right now say one person is closer to more smoke and fire he will have more frame drops than the player aiming at him who may not have the screen full of effects and that within the same base ps4 mp. The game targets 60 so I see no harm in pro players having a more stable 60.

zoukka

That's clean as fuck.

The performance-whore in my wants to complain about the framerate, but I won't this time. I'll settle for this creamy IQ.

Got my Pro today (from Amazon germany).
Will test the Battlefield 1 multiplayer, even without pro patch and check out the framerate, when playing with 64 players.

I don't expect changes without the patch, but hey, let's see for myself.

BigEmil

I'm just questioning Sony's logic with doing this upgrade right now. It's not hitting the 4K target in most titles, or allow for 60 FPS, and it's not even benefiting non-patched games. At best it's 4K "ready", and even HDR is patched into the old consoles so that's not a selling point either. The only real point for PS4 Pro launching right now would be the extra power for PSVR, but even for that the lackluster CPU upgrade isn't fitting. As a whole PSVR and PS4 Pro don't seem compelling enough for mainstream, nor powerful enough for a high end offering. Both seem to be here before their time, and lacking in tech and software support. It's good that Sony's pushing for these things, but to me it seems like they just took a half-step too early.

I think it would've been better if Sony had waited for next year like MS. I have no interest in getting a Scorpio, but I do prefer MS's strategy with this upgrade. It makes a whole lot more sense as a truly higher end option, especially if they manage to bring improvements to old games without a separate patching process (which I feel there's a decent chance, but not guaranteed). I feel Sony dropped the ball with requiring devs to make specific 4K patches, and they probably milk some extra money from publishers to validate those patches. Otherwise they would've actually had to put in some effort into making sure the old games worked right with better specs, or at least make a toggle as an option for those games that do work. They chose the easy way that benefited them more than the potential customers.
Killing Floor 2 is adding ultra textures on PS4 Pro though and other devs using the extra RAM for Anisotropic Filtering etc

Even more reason for games to adopt virtual texturing as it decouples texture resolution from amount of memory used.
Interesting never heard of this gonna look it up

tesqui

I really hope that further down the line of the pro developers will cater more towards 1080p 60. I honestly think it's way too early to be rolling out the 4k consoles. I mean developers aren't even achieving 4k. They're settling for 1440p in some cases.

We're not progressing in art and graphics when we're bottlenecking it with 4k resolution.

BadAss2961

I really hope that further down the line of the pro developers will cater more towards 1080p 60. I honestly think it's way too early to be rolling out the 4k consoles. I mean developers aren't even achieving 4k. They're settling for 1440p in some cases.

We're not progressing in art and graphics when we're bottlenecking it with 4k resolution.
I agree completely. It's isn't 4K's time yet. Even the PC market is just getting there.

Pro is the first console that can truly max out 1080p with high framerates. Wish that was more of the focus.

noomi

made a video for infinite warfare with my ps pro and 1080p...

https://youtu.be/UMBDJw6I5wQ

Is this captured and uploaded directly from your ps4 pro?

I'm happy to see that a 1080p recording option is now available, but the quality and compression of these videos recorded directly from the console still look.... not that great.

I wonder if extracting to a USB and then uploading to youtube would provide a better quality video.

Also, is this down-sampled from 4k?

The prices for a 4K TV are pretty intimidating; I am looking for a bigger TV since I've been playing with a 720p display this whole time, so I may as well just shop around for a 1080p display.

Won't be getting a 4K TV until later next year or 2018. Might get a Pro if there are considerable amount of games with improved 1080P visuals for my current set.

Is this captured and uploaded directly from your ps4 pro?

I'm happy to see that a 1080p recording option is now available, but the quality and compression of these videos recorded directly from the console still look.... not that great.

I wonder if extracting to a USB and then uploading to youtube would provide a better quality video.

Also, is this down-sampled from 4k?

yes this is right from my ps4 on 1080p, put on usb key then to youtube from my pc. trimmed some of it in youtube but don't think it would recompress? the ps4 is supersampling the 4k image to render the 1080p one.

it's too bad that's it's still 30fps. I've read it's possible to get 60fps via broadcasting to you tube directly but i believe it's just interpolating frames...

Top Bottom