• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Benefits for 1080p TV Owners (general and game-specific)

Taker34

Banned
Anyone tried Deus EX with the PS4 Pro ? I could not stand the choppy framerate on the regular PS4.
Seems locked 30 from what I played a couple of days ago. Didn't spend too much time on it, due to playing too much Skyrim. So take it with a grain of salt - even though I did notice the 1-3 fps drops in Skyrim a few days ago, so I should've noticed it in Deus Ex as well.

Djin1979

Seems locked 30 from what I played a couple of days ago. Didn't spend too much time on it, due to playing too much Skyrim. So take it with a grain of salt - even though I did notice the 1-3 fps drops in Skyrim a few days ago, so I should've noticed it in Deus Ex as well.

Thanks !

Sinistral

Which exclusives that are already out are must haves that benefit from the Pro?

Looking at the list in the OP, I already got Ratchet. Looks like I may pick up Infamous as well when I get the Pro later today.

What's weird to me is that Cerny used Knack in his presentation but i played it on the pro yesterday and it still looks jaggy as fuck. Especially after coming from Ratchet & Clank (goddamn that game is clean).

Didn't see any other update than a 1.01 update in the list of the game updates.

5taquitos

What's weird to me is that Cerny used Knack in his presentation but i played it on the pro yesterday and it still looks jaggy as fuck. Especially after coming from Ratchet & Clank (goddamn that game is clean).

Didn't see any other update than a 1.01 update in the list of the game updates.

Pro patch for Knack isn't available yet for whatever reason.

Freeman76

I mean, you're free to do whatever you want with your money, but this thread kinda proves that it's not "pointless."

I dont really see how though? Believe me, if I thought there was a decent benefit I would have gone out and got one (I have the cash saved) but I must be missing the footage showing the increased detail etc as I cant really find any on youtube etc. Am I missing something, please point me to it if I am lol

I dont really see how though? Believe me, if I thought there was a decent benefit I would have gone out and got one (I have the cash saved) but I must be missing the footage showing the increased detail etc as I cant really find any on youtube etc. Am I missing something, please point me to it if I am lol

Don't mean to sound rude but have you read this thread?

noomi

yes this is right from my ps4 on 1080p, put on usb key then to youtube from my pc. trimmed some of it in youtube but don't think it would recompress? the ps4 is supersampling the 4k image to render the 1080p one.

it's too bad that's it's still 30fps. I've read it's possible to get 60fps via broadcasting to you tube directly but i believe it's just interpolating frames...

Hey, thanks for the reply appreciate it :)

Caderfix

Update is 1.10
Gives you either 30fps high def
Or
PS4-like graphics at high frame rate!

Man, we're getting closer and closer to the dream of choosing lower visual quality in order to get better frame rate or vice-versa on consoles.

That's awesome.

So, is the upgrade worth it? I'm really not looking to drop $400 right after the PSVR if all we're looking at is some better average performance with no discernible visual upgrade unless you're on a 4K set.

Videos of Ratchet looked damn good but whether or not it looks that crisp on a regular 1080p set remains in question.

Oneself

So, is the upgrade worth it? I'm really not looking to drop $400 right after the PSVR if all we're looking at is some better average performance with no discernible visual upgrade unless you're on a 4K set.

Videos of Ratchet looked damn good but whether or not it looks that crisp on a regular 1080p set remains in question.
It looks really damn good. Absolutely worth it if you are into IQ and or higher framerates.

I hope all games going forward will have three visual enhancement options like Rise of the Tomb Raider.

I immediately noticed the difference with the enhanced visuals/30fps option on my Samsung 1080p

The image is just cleaner. The artifacting is gone. It's a richer and more detailed look, and Lara looks way better.

Update is 1.10
Gives you either 30fps high def
Or
PS4-like graphics at high frame rate!

Yep, just tested it.
Clean at 30 and normal ps4 with some jaggies at 60.

Niiiice!!
Yep!

By the way, switching between the 3 modes in ROTTR can be done through the pause screen! Instant comparisons!! The high framerate looks so good too. o_O

Shame you have to restart the game to see the difference in Knack. It's an option before you play the game.

Dave_6

I just bought a Pro and I'm still rocking a 1080p Pioneer 6020 plasma, though I do have plans to get a 4K display (probably an OLED but waiting to see what 2017 offers). I've seen enough between screenshots posted in the Pro OT and videos (DF, Gamersyde etc) that I felt like it was worth buying one. Especially since I'm a graphics junkie :p

Oh nice. Definitely easy then. Thank you!

Yes. I popped in R&C yesterday and Titanfall 2. Games automatically downsampled to 1080P and they look great.
Just popped in Knack and that games asks you if you want to play 30 fps high resolution (downscaled clean graphics on 1080P screen) or high framerate on normal old 1080P.
The game will ask you every time you start it up.

Yes. I popped in R&C yesterday and Titanfall 2. Games automatically downsampled to 1080P and they look great.
Just popped in Knack and that games asks you if you want to play 30 fps high resolution (downscaled clean graphics on 1080P screen) or high framerate on normal old 1080P.
The game will ask you every time you start it up.

I hope more devs gives us options for 1080p. Pro could really shine in this aspect.

So apparently Batman Arkham VR looks better in PSVR on the Pro. It has not received a specific Pro patch.

Does that mean that all games inherently look better on the Pro? Or do they look literally exactly the same unless they're patched?

LaneDS

So apparently Batman Arkham VR looks better in PSVR on the Pro. It has not received a specific Pro patch.

Does that mean that all games inherently look better on the Pro? Or do they look literally exactly the same unless they're patched?

Guessing here, but maybe it launched with the Pro support included?

If you are on a 1080P screen? No. it goes automatically. But games like Tombraider have different options for 1080P.

Strange thing is... I can choose 4K in Rotr on 1080p and the game looks razorsharp. Did I miss something here? Try it out in the menu btw, you'll notice immediately. Weird.

Other options also work btw ( 1080p unlocked and 1080p enhanced gfx... which I think is supersampling or am I wrong? )

Strange thing is... I can choose 4K in Rotr on 1080p and the game looks razorsharp. Did I miss something here? Try it out in the menu btw, you'll notice immediately. Weird.

Other options also work btw ( 1080p unlocked and 1080p enhanced gfx... which I think is supersampling or am I wrong? )
No that's the downsampling mode.
That happens automatically on games that don't have the options like RotTR

Top Bottom