• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Benefits for 1080p TV Owners (general and game-specific)

mileS

Mafia patch was released. Anyone willing to try for me?

This is going to be an interesting one right here. Supersampling will help but not enough. This is one of those games that needs a good amount of options for pro. Hopefully we get better draw distance.

Is there anyway to tell if PS4 Pro mode is activated if that's even a thing? I'm playing COD Infinite Warfare on a Pro with a 1080p display, is there anything I have to activate for it to work or is it just automatic?

mileS

Is there anyway to tell if PS4 Pro mode is activated if that's even a thing? I'm playing COD Infinite Warfare on a Pro with a 1080p display, is there anything I have to activate for it to work or is it just automatic?

Going to be all over the place for a while. Some of them will have options to pick, probably defaulting to one. Other games will be forced and you probably won't know what you're gaining unless you look it up. (90% of the time it will be supersampling I assume when it only has one option)

Going to be all over the place for a while. Some of them will have options to pick, probably defaulting to one. Other games will be forced and you probably won't know what you're gaining unless you look it up. (90% of the time it will be supersampling I assume when it only has one option)

Yeah it's hard to tell, there should be some sort of standardized indicator that a game has a Pro mode and if it's using it.

holy crap this is disheartening. a new console just came out and people aren't even sure if they're experiencing the new part yet.

Yeah it's weird, like if you couldn't see the console there would be no indication that you have a PS4 Pro and not just a regular PS4, I guess that's kind of the point based on what Sony had in mind but it's kind of confusing for some.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Do we have any kind of info regarding a Patch for Rocket League? As per usual the devs went radio silent about it. Seeing the game still in active development makes me wonder why they havent announced or even acknowledged the ps4 pros existence..
Also loading times got horrendous since the last update..
Really hope for a patch for RL.

Carpo

Neo Member
I really cant justify getting a Pro without a 4K. Its like getting in a Ferrari and doing 60MPH.

Pretty sure most people do 60MPH in them when its the speed limit..

Pro is a nice upgrade if you want to spend the money, USB on the back is another positive for the upgrade :)

XBP

So is the high frame rate mode for second son native 1080p or is there still some kind of downsampling going on?

SpokkX

UC4 on ps4 pro. I don't know what ND did or didn't do for 1080p display but it is very clean.

Also running 1080p
I tried the at sea chapter and it looks really clean and the framerate is improved, right?

I remember definite drops on the first beach when panning the camera. No drops on pro :)

Hopefully this is the thread for these questions.

As far as FFXV is concerned for PS4 Pro. Do we know what to expect?
There was a picture floating around here at one time comparing the normal version to the pro version (not sure on the legitimacy of this photo), but it looked like the pro version actually had changes not just related to resolution/supersampling. Trees and terrain in the background were more detailed, lighting looked different, etc.

Have there been any confirmations or should I just expect the same game as normal with better resolution?

jwk94

Heads up: Anyone playing Rise of the Tomb Raider on a 1080p display, set it to 4K mode if you want better graphics. That looks better than the enhanced visuals mode.

Hopefully this is the thread for these questions.

As far as FFXV is concerned for PS4 Pro. Do we know what to expect?
There was a picture floating around here at one time comparing the normal version to the pro version (not sure on the legitimacy of this photo), but it looked like the pro version actually had changes not just related to resolution/supersampling. Trees and terrain in the background were more detailed, lighting looked different, etc.

Have there been any confirmations or should I just expect the same game as normal with better resolution?

There's a thread going around that they're target 1080p/60FPS but that patch won't arrive until December sometime

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Finally got the console and ended up dropping it onto the hardwood flooring while moving my entertainment center around, hope I didn't damage anything inside.

Heads up: Anyone playing Rise of the Tomb Raider on a 1080p display, set it to 4K mode if you want better graphics. That looks better than the enhanced visuals mode.

Really? That's surprising. Are you sure there aren't other graphical effects in enhanced mode? Such as what is mentioned in the OP?

DBT85

UC4 on ps4 pro. I don't know what ND did or didn't do for 1080p display but it is very clean.

The only thing they've done is make it render at 1440p. So on a 1080 display you get a nice supersampled image.

Finally got the console and ended up dropping it onto the hardwood flooring while moving my entertainment center around, hope I didn't damage anything inside.

I think you'll find that if it doesn't work it must have arrived in that condition. Unless you've put a huge dent in it lol

I really cant justify getting a Pro without a 4K. Its like getting in a Ferrari and doing 60MPH.

For me having a fast car isn't about going fast. It's about getting to fast quickly with lots of noise :D

S2000 owner though, not quite Ferrari territory :p

Has call of duty infinite warfare been patched for pro? And am I going to notice a difference on all modes? ( Single ayer, zombies, multiplayer)

Edit: and do I have to "switch it on a options menu? Thanks!

platocplx

Build quality on sony consoles is quite crazy. When i had a launch PS3 it fell about 3 feet on hardwood near the power button. It was messed up there and still worked for about 3 years til it got the YLOD

Viruz

The only thing they've done is make it render at 1440p. So on a 1080 display you get a nice supersampled image.
Then it's just a matter of rendering the game at higher resolution? I don't think so, it looks too good.

Seriously?! Damn. Here I was testing it last night thinking enhanced visuals mode looked sweet.

Does anyone know if there are any other games with Pro benefits that are similar to Tomb Raider?

Did Dishonored 2 get something similar?

Will it just automatically supersample/downsize whatever the term is and output at 1080p even if I choose the 4k mode?

styl3s

Does every game have an option for the supersampling? or do some like Mafia/Infinite Warfare just automatically do that because i launched both and both look and run the same as they did on PS4.

jwk94

Really? That's surprising. Are you sure there aren't other graphical effects in enhanced mode? Such as what is mentioned in the OP?

Seriously?! Damn. Here I was testing it last night thinking enhanced visuals mode looked sweet.

Does anyone know if there are any other games with Pro benefits that are similar to Tomb Raider?

Did Dishonored 2 get something similar?

Will it just automatically supersample/downsize whatever the term is and output at 1080p even if I choose the 4k mode?

Yeah, so all you have to do is select 4K and you're good to go. Enhanced has some extra bells and whistles, but the picture is clearer in 4K mode. I'll see if I can get a screenshot.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
After trying both, I disagree. But that's just me.
There's too many visible jaggies in the enhanced, and I think the enhancements are largely something that can only be really appreciated by analyzing screenshots. On the other hand, the fantastic image quality provided by 4K downsampling is in-your-face obvious anytime you look anywhere while playing.

Not sure if posted yet, but Gamersyde has some Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 Pro coverage (and other games too):
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_the_other_ps4_pro_modes_of_roftr-18541_en.html
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_rottr_with_much_less_aliasing-18536_en.html

Seems like no version is perfect. The framerate on the "High Framerate" mode is just unlocked and bouncing between 30 and 60fps with between 40-50 most of the time. Not a great experience at all.

The other two modes have also performance issues as reported, but no framerate analys for them now. Hopefully it's not another case where performance took a hit on PS4 Pro.

I guess we will know for sure when John from Digital Foundry is showing his summary.

Yeah, so all you have to do is select 4K and you're good to go. Enhanced has some extra bells and whistles, but the picture is clearer in 4K mode. I'll see if I can get a screenshot.

Yeah, as someone about to start the game for the first time, I would love to know which mode to play on. I don't really want to spend my time testing everything out.

Edit:
There's too many visible jaggies in the enhanced, and I think the enhancements are largely something that can only be really appreciated by analyzing screenshots. On the other hand, the fantastic image quality provided by 4K downsampling is in-your-face obvious anytime you look anywhere while playing.

Seems like I'll go with 4K then unless I see more info before I start it.

High Framerate mode stutters, the enhanced mode has visible jaggies, Just look at the Geothermal Valley in the Gamersyde footage. It's clearly visibile. 4k supersampling seems like the best choice on the pro. You won't see the benefits of the enhanced mode that much in comparison to the much cleaner overall image.

No Love

Banned
Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 are much crisper on 1080p. BF1 is so much smoother and no more hitching when going back to the respawn screen.

calder

Just started Infamous:SS as it was the first thing that finished downloading and damn that IQ is amazing. It was a good looking game at launch with solid picture quality but using the 'higher resolution' setting is something else. Sorry improved performance ;)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, as someone about to start the game for the first time, I would love to know which mode to play on. I don't really want to spend my time testing everything out.

Edit:

Seems like I'll go with 4K then unless I see more info before I start it.
Btw if you liked the high framerate of the previous Tomb Raider game on PS4, you have that option as well. It will give you smoother playability - but the 4K mode has smoother image.

Marmelade

Not sure if posted yet, but Gamersyde has some Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 Pro coverage (and other games too):
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_the_other_ps4_pro_modes_of_roftr-18541_en.html
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_rottr_with_much_less_aliasing-18536_en.html

Seems like no version is perfect. The framerate on the "High Framerate" mode is just unlocked and bouncing between 30 and 60fps with between 40-50 most of the time. Not a great experience at all.

The other two modes have also performance issues as reported, but no framerate analys for them now. Hopefully it's not another case where performance took a hit on PS4 Pro.

I guess we will know for sure when John from Digital Foundry is showing his summary.

That high framerate mode is useless.
Way too much variance

Top Bottom