• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 is outselling Xbox Series Consoles at a rate of about 4 to 1 the last 15 months

YES!!! That 61 million number is from the end of June 2024. If GTA6 comes out in October of 2025.....that's 15 more months worth of PS5 sales. It's VERY VERY reasonable to assume the PS5 sells 19 million units in 15 months. That's not crazy.

19 million in 15 months would be slightly disappointing considering forecasts and trajectory.

Cramoss

I think Xbox will be fine after all but it is still sad to see those numbers. On the console side of things, the Xbox digital store is using our actual local currency here in my country so prices are way more reasonable than PSN since the latter is still using USD. New releases can even be $30 more expensive on the PSN side of things. I know some of you live in a US bubble and don't actually care if Xbox goes out of business as a console maker but please know that competition can greatly improve game prices in some countries.

Last edited:

SweetTooth

Gold Member
I know some of you live in a US bubble and don't actually care if Xbox goes out of business as a console maker but please know that competition can greatly improve game prices in some countries.

Phone Call Reaction GIF

Competition WILL NOT disappear with MS, there still is Nintendo, Steam, PC handhelds, mobile, Amazon...etc

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I have noticed the strange phenomenon that Xbox customers have a really warped sense of their position as consumers. They don't seem to realize that as fans, they are suppose to spend money on their hobby. Somehow they believed that being a fan means being given freebies. And that it is Microsoft's job to keep Xbox going by keep running it at a loss.

Say what you like about Apple customers, but at least Apple users know that their ecosystem require that they spend on the Apple store. That what they buy is important. Consumers have a duty to do their job spending money on what they think worth buying, thus influencing the market and let the supplier know what sells.

The whole "just parrot what the PR says is good" path just leads Xbox down a dark path where there is no return.
The "welfare state" of gaming.

Phone Call Reaction GIF

Competition WILL NOT disappear with MS, there still is Nintendo, Steam, PC handhelds, mobile, Amazon...etc

While I agree, unlike the above Xbox was a DIRECT competitor to PlayStation, at least in those PS3/360 days.

I’m not sure who else could enter the home console business without being kicked out on their backsides by Sony.

Same with handhelds, PSP is the only non-Nintendo system to ever have success in that market. I doubt anyone could challenge Nintendo.

Last edited:

Cramoss

Phone Call Reaction GIF

On the high end console side of things, it will. Nintendo does not offer the same games mostly and not everyone will game on PC.

Last edited:
be patient, good things are coming.

I mean if Microsoft, a company which has over the last couple of decades been the most valuable, who own the Windows OS, who already made games even before releasing the Xbox in 2001…

…couldn’t do it, I don’t know who could. At this point it would be like a third company trying to compete with Coca-Cola or Pepsi in the cola wars.
vrqKuWu.gif

m14

I mentioned the sales data that the European charts cover. They don’t include Germany and UK. And Xbox being at 30M next year…how? They have been decreasing like hell for this year.
Xbox was already at over 28 million in June, before the release of NCAA College Football 25, which gave them a nice boost in the US. Then there's Black Friday and Christmas in the next couple of months and I'm sure they will be hoping their new games over the next 12 months stimulate console sales as well. It's ridiculous suggesting they can't sell 1.5-2 million consoles over the next year.

I mean if Microsoft, a company which has over the last couple of decades been the most valuable, who own the Windows OS, who already made games even before releasing the Xbox in 2001…

…couldn’t do it, I don’t know who could. At this point it would be like a third company trying to compete with Coca-Cola or Pepsi in the cola wars.
vrqKuWu.gif
You've forgotten again how Apple destroyed Sony's Walkman business almost overnight in the early 2000s? Not to mention that Sony overall are a significantly diminished company compared to what they were 20 plus years ago.

Xbox was already at over 28 million in June, before the release of NCAA College Football 25, which gave them a nice boost in the US. Then there's Black Friday and Christmas in the next couple of months and I'm sure they will be hoping their new games over the next 12 months stimulate console sales as well. It's ridiculous suggesting they can't sell 1.5-2 million consoles over the next year.

You've forgotten again how Apple destroyed Sony's Walkman business almost overnight in the early 2000s? Not to mention that Sony overall are a significantly diminished company compared to what they were 20 plus years ago.

Every electronics company on the planet was replicating Walkmans before then. There was no ecosystem unlike PlayStation.

I’m bored with your delusions now, as is the rest of the forum.

m14

Every electronics company on the planet was replicating Walkmans before then. There was no ecosystem unlike PlayStation.

I know these are quite uncomfortable reminders when you like to think that Sony are infallible. Sony Walkman was a leading brand but where is it now? Sony was a significantly bigger company in 2000 than it is today.

No-one here knows who the next disruptors in the video game industry will be or how, but one guarantee is that the Hermen Hulsts and Jim Ryans of this world won't see it coming either.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Yo fam, this is nuts :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

If Apple could make a console and destroy Playstation that easily, why haven't they tried yet?

Topher

Gold Member

vrqKuWu.gif

Yeah....that has been the case the "last couple of decades" and it hasn't made any difference. Doesn't really matter what Microsoft "could" do. What they are not doing is making Xbox consoles the centerpiece of their gaming ecosystem. Not when they are kicking the legs out from under Game Pass on consoles, actively advertising "no console required" and publishing games on PlayStation. None of that sounds to me like a company that is willing to continue down the console rabbit hole. We know they are not exiting hardware though so that leaves PC and/or handheld. Either way, I wouldn't be looking to Microsoft's wealth to pull Xbox console's up off the mat.

m14

Yo fam, this is nuts :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

If Apple could make a console and destroy Playstation that easily, why haven't they tried yet?
Where did I state that Apple would be making a console? All I did was provide a real world example of Sony having their lunch eaten by a more innovative company when they were the market leader with a particular device.

StereoVsn

I don't play much: got two young kids, fulltime job... and a wife. Gaming has to compete with that. Often I chose a movie or a tv show. Not because I don't want to play. But because I can't be bothered to sit through half an hour of animation (and that's if you click through it) before the game starts proper. I grew up in the NES/ SNES days - I considered myself a serious gamer back then. There are exceptions, though. Games that I'll never miss: the Resi's, GTA's and the Zelda's. And I'm glad Capcom hasn't dropped Xbox - I play Nintendo on the site.

I know Playstation is the 'Apple' in videogaming. You don't have to rub it in. Thing is, I'm invested in Xbox -I got a collection of 360 and Xbox One games that I can still play on a Series X. That is of value to me. And as far as big games skipping the console goes: as long as it isn't GTA6 and Resi CV, I'm good.
XSX is a decent piece of gear especially at the price you got it. Nothing wrong with that and you can get some good and cheap BC games going all the way to OG Xbox era.

Having disk is a must and XSX does quite a few things better than S which you can still use for a streaming box/casual stuff.

Plus the main thing is like you say is time. Two kids, wife, work, friends, etc… only leaves so much time for gaming and other hobbies. Xbox platform has thousands of games and many, many hours of gameplay. Yeah, you may miss some exclusives , but it really doesn’t matter all that much.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Um, if GTA VI drops anytime late 2025 to anytime in 2026,

I can't believe y'all have even continued to waste your time. :p

Top Bottom