• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 is outselling Xbox Series Consoles at a rate of about 4 to 1 the last 15 months

Mr Moose

Hey dude how old is this data? It's interesting that how the companies are tracking. Sony looks to be comfortably tracking over half way to the final ps4 number while xbox is behind by a couple of mill.

Xbox sales seem to have fallen off a cliff so they'll probably only reach 40 million sales by the end of the gen. Not a great result at all but still not a bad install base to sell games to.

Their problem is software and the uncertainty about what games go to other platforms. I can't believe we are four years in and they haven't hit us with any next gen only bangers. Embarassing.
June this year I think.

My problem with this is that MS hasn't shown any signs that they will go into high production mode & make a push for people to see Series S as the best option for people needing a cheap current gen console . They had this same chance with Hogwart Legacy & they did nothing & things have actually gotten worse since then.

They didn't even put up an effort to sale Series S on Prime Day & they have new consoles releasing in a few days but people barely even know they exist. So expecting them to suddenly jump up like Grandpa Joe when the golden ticket is found is far fetched.

Exactly

GTA 6’s impact will be similar to that of Hogwarts, in that it’ll be a big seller with mainstream appeal, albeit much more popular.

What m13 isn’t taking into account though is…

- Xbox Series S’s early momentum was partly down to the chip shortage

- GTA 6’s audience will skew a lot older, people who have a lot more disposable income (Series S skewed towards being a kid’s toy)

- Xbox Series’ overall momentum is plummeting

- PlayStation is the marketing partner for GTA6

So while GTA 6 could boost PS5 sales, it’s very unlikely going to save Xbox Series.

If Xbox, as we all expect, fails to sell 5m this year then next year it’s dead.

Last edited:

Ebrietas

We're looking at between 35 and 45 million.

So much of that variance is about if Microsoft can keep up their ratios for GTA6, which will require stock in key places. Selling 26K units across Europe for an entire month suggests your console is dead in Europe. They could easily sell less than a million units in Europe for the rest of the XBS life cycle.

At some point you have to remove it from shelves and warehouses and then instead of small numbers like we see here, we see essentially zeroes, like you see in Japan.

Microsoft wants to announce their whole slate of games for PS5, but they're not unaware of the PR disaster that is. They want those GTA6 sales first.
35 million is fantasy. Look how few consoles they sold for the past 12 months. They will sell even less than that over the next 12 months.

I wonder if the low sales this year are also down to people not buying both consoles.

I mean in previous generations owning both a PlayStation and Xbox gave you the “best of both worlds”.

If there’s no worthwhile Xbox exclusives (or they’re all coming to PS5) then why get both?

I think it’s easy to see consoles as a one or the other thing, but many people have always bought both.

Last edited:

m14

Yeah, how portable your home console is is such a huge selling-factor. It's very important that your console that stays hooked up to your 70" television can be moved around constantly with minimum effort.

That's why the GameCube had a compact-size, miniature discs and a super necessary carrying handle and went on to be the best selling console of all-time.
The Series S is an excellent portable gaming console, whether someone chooses to invest in a screen for it or not. Some people do indeed move their consoles, especially those who travel a lot. But of course because no-one who you know does this, then no-one does, right? Everyone has 70'' TVs and that's the only way they could ever possibly play games.

It's also a much more unobtrusive looking piece of hardware than the PS5. Someone buying a console for the first time will be much less likely to balk at the size of the Series S than they would the larger consoles.

Exactly

GTA 6’s impact will be similar to that of Hogwarts, in that it’ll be a big seller with mainstream appeal, albeit much more popular.

What m13 isn’t taking into account though is…

- Xbox Series S’s early momentum was partly down to the chip shortage

- GTA 6’s audience will skew a lot older, people who have a lot more disposable income (Series S skewed towards being a kid’s toy)

- Xbox Series’ overall momentum is plummeting

- PlayStation is the marketing partner for GTA6

So while GTA 6 could boost PS5 sales, it’s very unlikely going to save Xbox Series.

If Xbox, as we all expect, fails to sell 5m this year then next year it’s dead.

Older audiences will often have adult financial responsibilities and may be less inclined to spend money on a more expensive console when there is a more cost effective option which allows them to play the exact same game.

As for your final line... I can't imagine why you're so desperate for MS to pull the plug on Xbox before the GTA 6 launch. :messenger_smiling:

Last edited:
Older audiences will often have adult financial responsibilities and may be less inclined to spend money on a more expensive console when there is a more cost effective option which allows them to play the exact same game.

As for your final line... I can't imagine why you're so desperate for MS to pull the plug on Xbox before the GTA 6 launch. :messenger_smiling:

All you do is clutch as straws and pull “what if” scenarios out of your backside.

I’m not desperate at all for Microsoft to do that.

Open your eyes, look at the actual SALES. Look at what people are DOING.

Xbox consoles are close to dead, that’s the reality.

m14

All you do is clutch as straws and pull “what if” scenarios out of your backside.

I’m not desperate at all for Microsoft to do that.

Open your eyes, look at the actual SALES. Look at what people are DOING.

Xbox consoles are close to dead, that’s the reality.
Microsoft have already sold around 30 million consoles and GTA 6 is releasing next year. So "close to dead" is more your gleeful interpretation rather than actual reality.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
N64 also sold 30 million units, as with Xbox Series no one’s buying them anymore either.
Not excellent enough to run WuKong,

200w.webp

Last edited:
The Series S is an excellent portable gaming console, whether someone chooses to invest in a screen for it or not. Some people do indeed move their consoles, especially those who travel a lot. But of course because no-one who you know does this, then no-one does, right? Everyone has 70'' TVs and that's the only way they could ever possibly play games.

It's also a much more unobtrusive looking piece of hardware than the PS5. Someone buying a console for the first time will be much less likely to balk at the size of the Series S than they would the larger consoles.

More people have got GTA 5 on PS4/Xbox One than PS3 and 360. We are 4 years in the generation. By the time we will see GTA 6 on shelves, there will be probably more than 100 millions next gen consoles ready to play it. How many more people will be waiting then ? How many will use the opportunity to buy the rumored best way to play GTA 6 instead(the PS5 Pro)?

Last edited:
Top Bottom