• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 latest UI update introduces adverts you can’t disable (Up: Confirmed bug caused this behaviour, post #301)

Mr Hyde

Checked out a couple of other games too and it's on them also. Kena shows an ad for PSN store that it's 45% off. It's also pushing DLC. Why the fuck would I be interested in that when I already bought the game? So fucking annoying. There was a news alert before that gathered all those news and it was fine that way. Now it's intrusive and in your face.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Doesn't each game have a space for related content?? Why would they make the game backgrounds ugly as fuck with game ads!!?

What an absolute egregious decision Sony has made. Sony used to be classy, now their trying to be as trashy as Xbox.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What an absolute egregious decision Sony has made. Sony used to be classy, now their trying to be as trashy as Xbox.
First thing I thought when I saw the thread title - "Remember when people laughed at Xbox for having a tiny box with an ad in it on the home screen?" So Sony's pushing ads now for their "game feeds" and making them full screen? Time to start disconnecting my PS5 from the internet and only connect it occasionally to install updates (I don't play online multiplayer games).

Anyone know if these still show up while you're offline? I.E. do they get cached locally when you're connected so they can be displayed when you're offline?

Bojji

Online:

bZ4zUn2.jpg

While offline shows normal image.

I also love English ad on Polish console UI.

Last edited:
What i care about the most is the friggin' removal of "resume activity" function - why, just why did they have to remove it ?

It would take you straight to your last save in just a couple of seconds whereas now, you have to freaking watch every unskippable start-up logo AND go through extra loading screens...

It was (almost) the equivalent of Xbox's quick resume feature ffs, so, i ask again, WHY the fuck did they remove it ?
Just last night I still had this on Trails through Daybreak. I haven’t checked other games. Do none of your games have it? It hasn’t always been supported on every game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Good to know! This means I can either take the console offline completely while I'm not actively updating it. I'll also run a DNS trace on my AdGuard server, so I can identify the source of the ads and block it there. If blocking Sony's servers that serve the ads also blocks the console from connecting online, so be it.

Good to know! This means I can either take the console offline completely while I'm not actively updating it. I'll also run a DNS trace on my AdGuard server, so I can identify the source of the ads and block it there. If blocking Sony's servers that serve the ads also blocks the console from connecting online, so be it.
This is what I will do, I have no interest in being online anyway.

Killjoy-NL

Just turned on my PS5 to check it and gotta say, it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

HFW, Destiny 2, HD2, MW3, NMS and Fortnite show official news.
No idea why that is such a big deal?

I was expecting dumb commercials or whatever.
Yet again, people are making a mountain out of a molehill, just when you think gamers couldn't get more petty.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Just last night I still had this on Trails through Daybreak. I haven’t checked other games. Do none of your games have it? It hasn’t always been supported on every game.

Shake, as per last FW update, no game in my library supports it anymore.
Some people said that it can be done through the game/activity card section but again, it does not work.

Hope to God it's some FW update fuckery/bug but I'm not holding my breath...

Cheers

Last edited:

Bojji

90 Day Fiance Goodbye GIF by TLC

Enjoy the show boys, Sony attempting to kill the PS brand is something that we saw only one time before, almost 20 years ago, that means that 95% of the people on this forum were 10 years away from being born.

I was Sony fanboy in PS3 days and holy shit watching their decisions (and defending them) was painful... Then in 2009 they decided to unfuck their fate and we had a decade of amazing games ❤️

Topher

Gold Member
90 Day Fiance Goodbye GIF by TLC

Enjoy the show boys, Sony attempting to kill the PS brand is something that we saw only one time before, almost 20 years ago, that means that 95% of the people on this forum were 10 years away from being born.

Eh....folks, let's not get carried away here. This shit is annoying and should be ridiculed, but it ain't gonna "kill the PS brand".

jshackles

Just turned on my PS5 to check it and gotta say, it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

HFW, Destiny 2, HD2, MW3, NMS and Fortnite show official news.
No idea why that is such a big deal?

I was expecting dumb commercials or whatever.
Yet again, people are making a mountain out of a molehill, just when you think gamers couldn't get more petty.
The problem here as that these news feeds are controlled by the developers. It's essentially a blog platform that developers have, that's now fully amplified by Sony. The ability for developers to upload game updates and backgrounds has been there for a while now, and up til now it's been mostly hidden unless users clicked on a "show updates" or "show news" button (or if you're in the US, it's been icons on your start screen).

"Fortnite shows official news" right now means that it's advertising the latest battle pass or whatever. That's bad enough, but now that developers know they have this screen space, they'll exploit it. Next week it might be "Fortnite teams up with McDonalds to give you the skibidi rizz meal" or whatever.

It's weird to me that people would defend this.

K' Dash

Eh....folks, let's not get carried away here. This shit is annoying and should be ridiculed, but it ain't gonna "kill the PS brand".

Clearly this is not going to kill the PS brand, it’s all the other stupid shit Sony is doing PLUS this.

Last edited:

LordCBH

First thing I thought when I saw the thread title - "Remember when people laughed at Xbox for having a tiny box with an ad in it on the home screen?" So Sony's pushing ads now for their "game feeds" and making them full screen? Time to start disconnecting my PS5 from the internet and only connect it occasionally to install updates (I don't play online multiplayer games).

Anyone know if these still show up while you're offline? I.E. do they get cached locally when you're connected so they can be displayed when you're offline?

I hate these basically as much as when Microsoft pushed a full screen ad on boot up for new games.

midnightAI

This change really needs to be reverted back.

Ahhh, now I see, it's literally the last news post, yeh, that's pretty naff (I usually don't pay attention and just hit play anyway so doesn't affect me too much). Strange there isn't an option to change what is displayed there (game info, latest news, latest activity or whatever)

I can see this being reverted back/changed, it's not really ads as such but I'm sure it will be abused to be ads only for that game.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
Online:

bZ4zUn2.jpg

I also love English ad on Polish console UI.

For now on my PS5 will remain 100% time offline. Fuck that shit.

And thank god I stop playing Horizon Zero Dawn. Jesus Christ what a horrendous home screen. Imagine turning ON your PS5 and seeing that LEGO shit in your home screen every single time.
Trully garbage.

Last edited:

tmlDan

are these really ads when they just show content for a game? they're not showing a mcdonalds commercial or forcing a pop-up like xbox does

I actually like this cause i dont see new content in the current PS format for games i play, it could be a slippery slope, yes, but its not a big deal at the moment.

midnightAI

Doesn't each game have a space for related content?? Why would they make the game backgrounds ugly as fuck with game ads!!?

They are coming from that companies latest news post, so if they used a shit image then that is displayed

Topher

Gold Member
are these really ads when they just show content for a game? they're not showing a mcdonalds commercial or forcing a pop-up like xbox does

I actually like this cause i dont see new content in the current PS format for games i play, it could be a slippery slope, yes, but its not a big deal at the moment.

The slippery slope is the problem. When you have corporations where each individual department is pressured to increase revenue YoY every quarter then that ad for Final Fantasy can easily turn into cross promotions with Mountain Dew and Doritos. Basically turning PS5 into VGAs on a daily basis. Best to voice displeasure with that early and often, imo.

Fake

Gold Member

Also, isn't funny that they are advertising games for Nintendo Switch and PC... in your god damn PS5 home screen?

Why is this even a thing? Who for god sake approved this? How can you market your competition in your damn product? How do you expect selling PS5 products with ads like that?

Who ever thought this was a good ideia should be fired.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Also, isn't funny that they are advertising games for Nintendo Switch and PC... in your god damn PS5 home screen?

Why is this even a thing? Who for god sake approved this? How can you market your competition in your damn product? How do you expect selling PS5 products with ads like that?

Well that's the danger isn't it, companies are free to post whatever news they like and so if that's their last (or presumably 'promoted') post then that's what is displayed regardless of content, I doubt Sony will be monitoring these posts closely and some they won't be able to do anything about (such as promoting other platforms like this example)

Edit: even worse, imagine if these feeds could be hacked, imagine (actually don't) what kids could be exposed to IF they are unmonitored feeds, they may not be)

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Maybe the intention is to get PS5 players to buy a copy on each of the platforms

It’s just displaying content around the same IP.

“You like this game, here’s where you can find more if it.”

Not everyone is as connected as we are.
Why lick a corporations boot? Seriously. After the shit they have been doing lately. I have been a ps gamer since ps1 era. Since 2017ish sony has slowly crept into villian overlord company. Sorry but this shit should be optional. an Opt out if you will.
Why also no themes? Custom avatars, a damn web browser? PS3/PSP XMB was peak user-friendliness and options. They scrapped that and gave us less control. I remember buying a ton of game and artwork themes, dynamic themes, avatar icons, etc.... Was that not enough money , why not do that again instead?

Why no button for news on the game hub tab? That way you can see that stuff if you want it. Options, options, options.

Top Bottom