• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 latest UI update introduces adverts you can’t disable (Up: Confirmed bug caused this behaviour, post #301)

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Looks to be a Bug.

I'd really like to believe that but I've lived long enough to know that it's most prolly Bullshit...

Maybe they tried to have their way/test the waters and now they're backtracking due to the backlash (?)

Anyway, bring back the "resume activity" function ye Soony® fookers (I presume that's also a "bug", right ?)

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I'm in the UK and don't get these ads either.

I'm in Italy using a Greek account and I've had this for the past couple of days.

Meanwhile, voice search is still a no-go over our side of the pond 4 years later (it's US only) and I'd really like to know if we'll ever receive the new welcome screen with the widgets etc.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I'd really like to believe that but I've lived long enough to know that it's most prolly Bullshit...

Maybe they tried to have their way/test the waters and now they're backtracking due to the backlash (?)

Anyway, bring back the "resume activity" function ye Soony® fookers (I presume that's also a "bug", right ?)
Activities aren't working at all for me (at least on the games I've got installed).

Baldesion

Neo Member
¿De verdad es molesto? He visto a mucha gente decir que es publicidad, hasta ahora no he visto ningún anuncio de McDonald's, Uber, etc.

qnkRbVZ.jpeg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Looks to be a Bug.

Probably why I have not seen it, at all.

I just get the normal game backgrounds (or if they updated them dynamically from a GaaS update like GT7 shows the newest cars added, or areas you left off in single player games like Elden Ring's progression).

Have all the news widgets closed since there is a dedicated news bar that's always been there that posts updates on games you choose to follow.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
¿De verdad es molesto? He visto a mucha gente decir que es publicidad, hasta ahora no he visto ningún anuncio de McDonald's, Uber, etc.

qnkRbVZ.jpeg
Depends on the game. In the end it's up to the publisher I guess, so use it as a news feed, others to advertise other games, like the Lego Horizon ad on Horizon, or F7Rebirth on Remake.

Saber

Hopefully its a bug. Because reading some autistic responses here makes me thinking that Sony really needs some real terrible updates, like poping up ads during gameplay. You all need the worst of Sony until you wake up from this stupidity.

Why does an internet server even have the ability to do this? What if this server is hacked and pushes out some malicious code hidden in the "latest news"? Why was this not caught in testing? Someone is just rolling out untested server side updates? How did most countries magically avoid having this bug?

xrnzaaas

I wish MS had such bugs instead of realizing most of the main screen of the dashboard is supposed to be filled with ads.

Anyway another reason to delay installing firmware updates as much as possible, less chances of being affected.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

"Just a bug guys" :pie_eyeroll:

Now where have a heard that one before :unsure:

Oh yeah...

Funny how it's all quiet but as soon as people catch on and complain then it's "just a bug".

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
So Sony's falling back on the "it's a bug" excuse, huh? Bugs like this aren't exactly unheard of, but with all the CI/CD pipelines, automated tests, and UAT in place, you'd think catching something like this before it hits production would be almost guaranteed. It makes you wonder how it even got through.

Topher

Gold Member
"Just a bug guys" :pie_eyeroll:

Now where have a heard that one before :unsure:

Oh yeah...

Funny how it's all quiet but as soon as people catch on and complain then it's "just a bug".

Honestly I don't give a shit if it is just a bug or some stupid decision......as long as they fix/take care of it.

midnightAI

Honestly I don't give a shit if it is just a bug or some stupid decision......as long as they fix/take care of it.
I actually believe it is a bug (or something got deployed that was nowhere near ready), reason is some of the news posts made no sense, really old news that is no longer relevant. Now whether we see it again in some form in the future I don't know (hopefully with this backlash they will scrap that idea if that was their intention)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
lol wonder if Sony lawyers shut down the "it's just a bug" talk, that video/tweet is gone now

EDIT: Oh I guess that tweet was from a Senior Product Manager at PlayStation - wonder if that guy didn't get the memo from the marketing department.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

That's not a bug, it was clearly removed.

It was pretty useful.

Mr Moose

I still see "Official News" on Fallout 4 but it's gone for the other games.
Never mind (fake edit) I restarted and that one has gone too.

So the bug was they'd fucked up part of the HTML or whatever and the "Official News" was leaking in from lower down? Close your damn tags, Sony.

Last edited:

Duchess

Playing Alan Wake Remastered, and the background used to say that it was now available on PS Plus.

Turned on my PS5 just now, and all that's gone.

The Mobius Machine, and Elden Ring were also affected by the "news" background, which have since vanished.

It might've been a bug, or it might've been Sony doing A/B testing. Whatever it was, I'm glad it's gone.

Mr Moose

Fixed?

LjqZix.gif

But I don't think it was a bug, someone put that there in the first place.
I think whatever they are using to display the info (backgrounds and shit) had unclosed tags (like HTML) and that made it appear higher than it's meant to, I just checked FF7 remake. If you have that installed, press down a few times to see "Official News" and it'll have the image from the OP.
Edit: That makes sense why two games didn't show it for me, they don't have any "Official News" when I looked lower.
Literally one ad upon booting steam as opposed to the countless ads on the dashboards of both consoles
Screenshot20240930at.png

-

Activities doesn't do shit except open the game. That needs fixing.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

qnkRbVZ.jpeg
I saw the FF7 Rebirth ad when I loaded FF7 Remake, it looked like total shit.

It's not necessarily McDonald's or Uber. I actually would have preferred a tasteful Uber ad to that wall of shit.

Top Bottom