• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 latest UI update introduces adverts you can’t disable (Up: Confirmed bug caused this behaviour, post #301)

tmlDan

Why lick a corporations boot? Seriously. After the shit they have been doing lately. I have been a ps gamer since ps1 era. Since 2017ish sony has slowly crept into villian overlord company. Sorry but this shit should be optional. an Opt out if you will.
Why also no themes? Custom avatars, a damn web browser? PS3/PSP XMB was peak user-friendliness and options. They scrapped that and gave us less control. I remember buying a ton of game and artwork themes, dynamic themes, avatar icons, etc.... Was that not enough money , why not do that again instead?

Why no button for news on the game hub tab? That way you can see that stuff if you want it. Options, options, options.
why is this licking their boots, its content for the game, i understand the "but what if they do something worse in the future" but don't berate people for not caring about something that shows content for their games.

Here's something, if you bought themes thats worse corporate bootlicking cause you bought something so useless as a custom theme. You bought a cosmetic microtransaction.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I wouldnt be a fan of this if Xbox did it. I like my static Titanfall wallpaper. There's enough dashboard promo boxes recommending this or that.

Put it this way, if your PC or laptop forced your home page to be ads to buy this or that, instead of your own custom wallpaper or boring Windows default background, you'd be pissed.

Just because I use CCleaner to clean my system and StudioTax for income tax filing, I dont want my home screen saying upgrade to Premium.

Last edited:

Three

Unless he furiously defended COD having ads, I'm pretty sure he's just poking fun at COD players declaring they won't support the game for X reason.
He posted that in a thread about full screen xbox ads popping up on console boot and replying to somebody showing their disinterest in COD and the ad. As if it has no effect what they think. Yet he thinks some ad on icon hover will "kill the PS brand". Guys been up Series X and Gamepass' ass for a while.

Last edited:
MS-Exec-NadellaSony-CEO-Kenichiro-Yoshida.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That example is a classic cognitive barrier the user would tend to feel forced to climb over to get to the desired destination. But at least it appear to be a special occasion type screen, not something that pops up every time you browse a different game in your library?
I never saw that screen.

Then again, maybe a gamer only got that ad on a full system boot up.

It's not. It's FF7 Remake advertising Rebirth. It's Star Wars Battlefront advertising EA Play and other EA Star Wars games. The Warhammer one isn't an ad but just a video about the game. I doubt Sony is even getting ad revenue from these it's just the publishers using the platform to promote their other games/services through the added possibility of live backgrounds for games.
That makes it just as bad. This way of advertising seems extremely limited which was part of my point. Most algorithms try and eventually funnel you down to a singular path and this ad method is arguably worse than that.

RespawnX

I always thought the adverts on Xbox were okay, even if they took up more and more space over the years, they were an organic part of the interface. It got much worse with the last Xbox dashboard update, Sony probably wants to beat Microsoft here too.
Sad, the PS5 had a pretty clean dashboard not so long ago.

midnightAI

But who asked for this?
It's not enhancing my experience as a consumer and it's making game backgrounds look bad. Sony needs to undue this. It's sloppy at best.
Well, no-one (or probably devs/pubs asked for it), but there are plenty of features that we get that aren't asked for, sometimes they don't work out (they have rolled back features before because of issues/backlash). I was just explaining why it was a shit image not that I condone any of it (simply because its open to abuse by the devs/pubs just using it as an excuse to throw an ad in your face that they'll call 'news')

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Let's not act like you spend hours looking at the dashboard, and not like 5 seconds choosing the game you want to play and hit Play Game button. Its an non-issue

Brucey

Just turned on my PS5 to check it and gotta say, it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

HFW, Destiny 2, HD2, MW3, NMS and Fortnite show official news.
No idea why that is such a big deal?

I was expecting dumb commercials or whatever.
Yet again, people are making a mountain out of a molehill, just when you think gamers couldn't get more petty.
Latest talking point assigned by Xbox headquarters for those that remain, working for free?

I wouldn't even say this is malicious, it's just really ugly and poorly thought out. Like the Division 2 background is now promoting a free weekend... That happened in July. That only people that own the game would even be able to see. This as an "ad" doesn't even make any sense, which of course it doesn't because it's just a news feed item that was randomly pulled in.

This feels like someone was testing layouts and hit save instead of undo.

Kvally

I always thought the adverts on Xbox were okay, even if they took up more and more space over the years, they were an organic part of the interface. It got much worse with the last Xbox dashboard update, Sony probably wants to beat Microsoft here too.
I only see 1 small square ad on mine.

PatientGamer

Gold Member
And this is what happens when there is ZERO competent competition in an industry. They can just rollout whatever they want, and no matter how bad it is, it'll have no impact on subscriptions or gaming revenue.

Hate this.

It was a mixed bag. It increased the recent games played selection and visible background. The menu ribbon became super neat and small. It added two rows of ads underneath but the grouping feature remained ideal for organizing games. PlayStation Library always sucked when trying to find older stuff. Here is what I have currently:
eT0y3TN.jpeg
lR1NeAv.jpeg
r9U9Iuq.jpeg

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Yeah this update sucks. I hate all these "widgets" and just want them gone, but for some insane reason you have to keep at least three up.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't get any of this. I still get the game's artwork.

I still get news updates for games I follow.

And I was able to disable news/store/plus widgets.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I don't get any of this. I still get the game's artwork.

I still get news updates for games I follow.

And I was able to disable news/store/plus widgets.
Are you in Europe? I think this only affects users outside of here because of some eurolaw going against it.

Magister

Neo Member
Just sell PS5 for free if you want to chase that ad money or at least make it cheaper and yes, I'm looking at you PS5 Pro.
At least when I buy a Kindle with ads, they give me a discount.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
They are doing this here:

W8hbj1q.jpeg

If everyone thinks like you will end up with this in the future:

jX0rBsH.jpeg
I'd just like to point out that while a useful metaphor, a frog will not just sit there and die. It's been proven false.

Last edited:

Reaseru

I don't have the welcome tab yet, but the ads, I do. Well, Europe costumers aren't second rate consumers after all. To advertise and shove things down through our throats, we all are first class to Sony.

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
And people complained about the little advert tiles on Xbox lol. This is next level

Last edited:
Top Bottom