• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 latest UI update introduces adverts you can’t disable (Up: Confirmed bug caused this behaviour, post #301)

Companies fail to understand that intrusive ads creates more anti-bodies than help the consumer buying the products.
Absolutely. I remember when I booted Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown on PS4 excited after a new update hit and instead of balance changes or new content the versus screens and city stage had ads. I was so pissed off. I have barely booted the game since. The fuck Sega?

Fake

Gold Member
This is how returnal looks like, god damn you sony.

EruIpT3.jpeg

This is parody at this point.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The Explore tab on my PS5 has contained ads since day 1. I guess with the changes and rolling out the renamed tab everyone gets ads now.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Somebody post what Genshin Impact's screen looks like - I'm curious since they literally have a tie in going with McDonalds.

Reminds me of when I recently bought Monster Hunter Rise & Sunbreak ON SALE, and every time I booted up the game it said: Rise & Sunbreak are now ON SALE! on the title screen.

Genius...

jakinov

PS4 had stuff like this already and prob PS5 to some extent. They would also add brand new tiles trying to sell you PlayStation now at a discount. People just never noticed because it’s usually never a 3rd party sponsored non-gaming related ad spot and just platform highly gaming related adverts.

Last edited:

hlm666

If there's no blow back this totally wont escalate to getting car adds for the latest mustang in your gt7 page or adverts for the latest marvel movie in spiderman. Then it escalates to something like adds for terrifier 3 in your cod feed because there's a skin in the game of art the clown. Letting it slide because it's "related" content is a huge open door you can drive a truck through these days with all these tie in deals in games.

Nydius

Fuck that. Give me back themes and folders.

PS5s UI was already the worst sony has ever done I hated it at launch and its even worse now with this shit

100% agree with both of these.

The PS5 UI has been an abomination since it launched. Overly cluttered, zero real user customization, just the shit they want you to see. This update makes it leagues worse.

I need “customizable widgets” on yet another device like I need another hole in my head. Themes and folders were peak design where I could have a minimalist Home Screen to my liking and manage my games for ease of accsss. If I wanted to see news or updates for games I have installed, all I had to do was press down. If I wanted ads for upcoming games, I’d go into the PlayStation store app.

And yes, if you defend this shit, you’re the reason why everything is going through enshittification. Give these companies an inch by justifying, ignoring, or hand waving this away, they feel more empowered to take a mile.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I never saw that screen.

Then again, maybe a gamer only got that ad on a full system boot up.

Yeah, that's what I suspect as well. It's obviously some sort of infrequent injection screen, thus not comparable to what sparked this thread.

This is how returnal looks like, god damn you sony.

EruIpT3.jpeg

Man, that's amateur hour.. But to be fair to the Sony/Playstation UX/UI team, I have a feeling it's a "fuck you, I'm the boss" decision from the top down.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Man, that's amateur hour.. But to be fair to the Sony/Playstation UX/UI team, I have a feeling it's a "fuck you, I'm the boss" decision from the top down.
This is also obviously the case of someone that uploaded art for a blog post that was never designed for, or intended to be used as, a full page splash screen for the game. This will get optimized (note: I did not say better) as their publishing partners learn what these will be used for and will design around the existing UI elements.

SSfox

I already decided PS5 is my last console and going full Steam and Nintendo only next gen, and this just confirm my decision. Thanks Hermen.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Could it be just for the US?
"Welcome hub will become available to select users in the U.S. starting later today. We will gradually expand support in other regions over the coming weeks, starting with players in Japan, followed by select countries in Europe, and finally releasing worldwide."

From the Sept. 12th update, so not sure how much it applies to this, but they seem related...

Second Concord tax. Hulst is doing everything he can to avoid been fired by the shareholders.

"I made a huge $400 million mistake, just let the poor players pay for my mistake."
They should get rid of Hulst....Being the head of a beloved franchise like Killzone, and instead of bring it back to PS5, seems to be Horizon obsessed...That´s a fucked up enough, and if you add up Concord among other mistakes...

Crayon

I had to turn it on to check. Maybe it's ads, maybe it's not, but it's a downgrade. It's weird engagement-pushing stuff for games I already have....

Rebirth - "Watch Now". Watch WHAT now? Did they pick random promotional image to throw on there? I can't tell if that's even referring to any button I can click on the page.

Mokus

I think you're a troll. You leave it on the dashboard for a gaming "experience"?! Nothing about looking at the wallpaper is gaming.

That said it does ruin the look of the game on the dash.
Maybe one day you will learn that others are enjoying the same things differently than you.

King Dazzar

I had to turn it on to check. Maybe it's ads, maybe it's not, but it's a downgrade. It's weird engagement-pushing stuff for games I already have....

Rebirth - "Watch Now". Watch WHAT now? Did they pick random promotional image to throw on there? I can't tell if that's even referring to any button I can click on the page.
Yeah, they've been using "Official News" to push advertising before. When I'd go to access the quick home bar, I'd find stuff like Concord forced into my news feed, even though everything was unfollowed. I didnt like that, but at least you only saw it on occasion and wasn't terribly intrusive.

Someone will need to remind me. But we've had a similar bug like this contained within a Ubisoft game. i.e it was driven by an online feed and was found to be a bug and fixed. This just reminds me of that due to it only affecting online consoles.

Mr Moose

My understanding is that the Explore/Welcome tab is still being rolled out worldwide - its just being done in phases.
UK here, I have the "Official News" thing on most games (except Powerwash sim and Star Rail) but no tab. Backgrounds seem normal though, at least for the games on my list.
Somebody post what Genshin Impact's screen looks like - I'm curious since they literally have a tie in going with McDonalds.
Just says some shit about 5.0 "Roam the towering cliffs" and has the characters from that version.

Last edited:

Bojji

More stuff looking at currently installed games:

vw7kDwN.jpeg

Add for Ray Tracing?

ouHk4LW.png

Only thing about game is in top left corner, I thought I have Transmission installed...

I also love this one, tells me about ended subscription for PS+ (and that I won't be able to play it) while I have disc version installed:

Kl9XXXd.jpeg

It's full of ads and full of bugs. Looks like they lost control over it...

Last edited:

King Dazzar

UK here, I have the "Official News" thing on most games (except Powerwash sim and Star Rail) but no tab. Backgrounds seem normal though, at least for the games on my list.
Similar then mate. No tab yet either. Might just be your list of games. My older games dont seem impacted as it may just be games with a more recent news feed and that feed needing to have a picture. You can check with other titles by clicking on them in your library page, but just not launching them.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

vw7kDwN.jpeg

Add for Ray Tracing?

ouHk4LW.png

Only thing about game is in top left corner, I thought I have Transmission installed...

I also love this one, tells me about ended subscription for PS+ (and that I won't be able to play it) while I have disc version installed:

Kl9XXXd.jpeg

How the fuck did this get by QA without being flagged?

midnightAI

vw7kDwN.jpeg

Add for Ray Tracing?

ouHk4LW.png

Kl9XXXd.jpeg

They aren't ads (as such)

They are news articles, now if whoever is in charge of that dev/publishers news added an advert as news then that's why it shows up (and let's face it most news from a Dev or publisher can quite often be adverts or feature pushing)

(But just to be clear, should this be here? No in my opinion, it was fine as is with the news below. I really do think they'll roll this back)

Trogdor1123

I feel as though we are at another tipping point online regarding advertising. I’m old and remember when it first started with pop ups being so intrusive the net became literally unusable. It killed a ton of pages looking to extract as much money as possible from users. It really feels like we’re getting there again with how gaming and YouTube is. Going to be a very interesting next few years…

Nydius

You mean like DLC, Game Pass, expensive digital prices for games, no optical disc drives for consoles etc...?

Indeed, but you forgot "increasing the cost for basic online multiplayer and paywalling cloud saves" :messenger_expressionless:

Does batman collection show this work of art?

images

"10 out of 10", what a game!

I hate when publishers ruin perfectly good box art with marketing trash.

See also:

cLqzxdz.png

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

vw7kDwN.jpeg

Add for Ray Tracing?

ouHk4LW.png

Kl9XXXd.jpeg

By the looks of what people are seeing, the devs and Sony just laid out a shotgun approach to whatever they feel like promoting. Some are DLC, some related games, and some like Metro looks like nothing worth promoting. So they just plug a game feature like RT. On the side they got some DLC, but the main screen is a nothing burger.

It would actually be a good feature if gamers could customize it by having an option of no ads or promotional plugs, while just have rotating wallpapers. Some of them look cool.

Top Bottom