• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 latest UI update introduces adverts you can’t disable (Up: Confirmed bug caused this behaviour, post #301)

diffusionx

Gold Member

Ah yes, a "tech error".

Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
If they are using HTML or something similar to display the content, all it would take is an unclosed tag and it could all go to shit.
I doubt that would be the case, there are very common tools to warn devs about that kind of errors (lint) and still, a missing tag or semicolon or whatever isn't going to change the logic at that scale, I really doubt it.

In any case, cool that it's fixed. Having ads displayed without control fucking sucks no matter where.

Last OS update broke FFXVI randomly

If they are using HTML or something similar to display the content, all it would take is an unclosed tag and it could all go to shit.
Sure but it seems impossible that the OS team doesn't have automation pipeline unit tests in place that would have failed the PR let alone a prod deployment

Can't help but feel like they removed talent from the company to boost the stock price but didn't due any diligence into who would maintain QA after

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I doubt that would be the case, there are very common tools to warn devs about that kind of errors (lint) and still, a missing tag or semicolon or whatever isn't going to change the logic at that scale, I really doubt it.

In any case, cool that it's fixed. Having ads displayed without control fucking sucks no matter where.
The "Official News" is still there, but it's now displaying correctly and where it's supposed to.
Before (it's not February):
GYmqcIGXQAAEVWq

After:
20240930235352.png

Sure but it seems impossible that the OS team doesn't have automation pipeline unit tests in place that would have failed the PR let alone a prod deployment

Can't help but feel like they removed talent from the company to boost the stock price but didn't due any diligence into who would maintain QA after

This didn't require a console update to fix.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Well, either their OS team is that incompetent with such a visible error, or, Sony tried to push something and had to walk it back. I think the latter is more believable than the former.

Topher

Gold Member
What kind of tech error is that? How do you code all the shit required to display that stuff instead of an static background "by accident"?

Sounds more like "we tried but people didn't like it so lets pull back".

As Mr Moose Mr Moose just pointed out, there was no update to fix this. I saw the "ads" this morning and this afternoon it was fixed. No updates involved. That tells me these are not static images. They are more likely being fed by a content delivery network.

Mr Moose

Do you think the OS team is that incompetent and can't spot an error that literally takes over their entire screen?
It's not the OS. It didn't need an update to fix it.
And yes I can see how this would easily be missed. I didn't even notice the background had changed on GT7, but it had changed to the update 1.49 preview image (from the "Official News" thing lower). I think GT7 is on 1.50 now.

Last edited:

ZehDon

It's not the OS. It didn't need an update to fix it.
And yes I can see how this would easily be missed. I didn't even notice the background had changed on GT7, but it had changed to the update 1.49 preview image.
So, the OS isn't responsible for displaying the background on the OS? Not sure I'd try that point myself. You're not paid to notice, nor do you have automated systems in place to catch these kinds of errors.

Topher

Gold Member
So, the OS isn't responsible for displaying the background on the OS? Not sure I'd try that point myself. You're not paid to notice, nor do you have automated systems in place to catch these kinds of errors.

Obviously I'm guessing here, but the OS is probably set to pull from a designated delivery system if the console is online. Just like the ads that are displayed on neogaf. Those images are not local to the server. They are pulled in from elsewhere.

Not saying this is what is going on, but it makes sense to me as a developer. If nothing changed on the console then something changed elsewhere.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Again?didn't thet also break it 2 update ago?

ReyBrujo

Gold Member

Personally it was supposed to go into dev but went straight into production.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
As Mr Moose Mr Moose just pointed out, there was no update to fix this. I saw the "ads" this morning and this afternoon it was fixed. No updates involved. That tells me these are not static images. They are more likely being fed by a content delivery network.
I dunno man, I'll give the benefit of the doubt since I don't and never will know how they have all that stuff set up. But it's weird for sure.

Personally it was supposed to go into dev but went straight into production.
Shit happens, CD/CI can be a bitch some times.

Topher

Gold Member
I dunno man, I'll give the benefit of the doubt since I don't and never will know how they have all that stuff set up. But it's weird for sure.

Shit happens, CD/CI can be a bitch some times.

Not saying Sony absolutely wasn't up to no good here. I wouldn't put it past them to try some shit like this and they still might. I'm just making some guesses with what I believe to be a client-side/server-side architecture. An update isn't required on the console for things to get jacked up on the server. But as you say, we will never know for sure.

Last edited:

ap_puff

Not saying Sony absolutely wasn't up to no good here. I wouldn't put it past them to try some shit like this and they still might. I'm just making some guesses with what I believe to be a client-side/server-side architecture. An update isn't required on the console for things to get jacked up on the server. But as you say, we will never know for sure.
This begs the question though: why havent they allowed us to use custom themes, unless they're reserving the screen real estate for something?

ZehDon

Obviously I'm guessing here, but the OS is probably set to pull from a designated delivery system if the console is online. Just like the ads that are displayed on neogaf. Those images are not local to the server. They are pulled in from elsewhere.

Not saying this is what is going on, but it makes sense to me as a developer. If nothing changed on the console then something changed elsewhere.
Oh, I don't disagree. But taking an image and selectively displaying it as the background instead of inside a designated news widget requires more than a missing backslash. It's clear the OS can do this quite deliberately, even if it wasn't supposed to do it in this instance. Given Microsoft are doing full screen advertisement dialogs on Xbox from time to time, I presume Sony must be testing the same.

Topher

Gold Member
Oh, I don't disagree. But taking an image and selectively displaying it as the background instead of inside a designated news widget requires more than a missing backslash. It's clear the OS can do this quite deliberately, even if it wasn't supposed to do it in this instance. Given Microsoft are doing full screen advertisement dialogs on Xbox from time to time, I presume Sony must be testing the same.

Could be. If we start getting ads in the coming months then I think we will have our answer.

Mr Moose

I'm not very good at explaining what I mean but I'll try, and with some fake code of what I think happened. Do the consoles use HTML5 widgets or some shit?
Anyway, you've got the OS, and it displays the tabs for the games. There's the icon and below that is the game name and some text, below that is the play game button and so on (further below is trophies and activities, which I am going to assume is part of the OS rather than outside of it). Then there's the "Official News" crap.
Code:
<OS><GAMETAB>
<Game name/background and text>Text here (this is where the error is, I believe, something like an unclosed tag causing it to fuck up and then display something lower down in the list, which has it's own background, and that background is then set as the games background).
</GAMETAB></OS>
It stopped displaying the game name and background (between the icon and the Play Game), and instead displayed "Official News" and the background image contained in the first "Official News" in the list.
This is how the "Official News" is meant to be displayed:
20240930235352.png

It's sloppy work, whatever it is that happened.
I'm not saying this can't be used as ad space, but this to me looks like a bug (game name gone, displaying old ass "Official News" and the backgrounds).

If you don’t want to see ads just don’t go online with your PS5!

AeBYzP6.gif

In all seriousness, this is a bit silly if they are intending to do this. It’s not like the gaming community isnt vocal about things like this.

Last edited:

RCU005

bring back the "resume activity" function

I believe the resume activity is still there. It's always been done around the activity cards (which they ruined, though). The resume activity button just let you got to the most recent one, but you can still select the card and resume.

Top Bottom