• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

With all the recent RDNA4 leaks i think its pretty much confirmed the Pro is coming soon
RDNA4 is to PS5 Pro what Polaris was to the PS4 Pro
Vega you mean.

"In case you didn't see the thing I'm hiding, here it is again"

Yep. I am fairly convinced Kojima latest game will be the main showcase for PS5 Pro and Decima + RT.

Last edited:
PS5 Pro release is exciting, but I'm just as excited to see the messiah Mark Cerny do another technical deep dive presentation, I find his talks to be very fascinating.
Part of it is that he knows that tech is always getting better and is not afraid of telling the bad with the good. The PS5 is not the most powerful console ever, it had enough power for next gen experiences. The PS5 has not super fast RAM, it had a fast SSD that can help with the modest increase it got on RAM compared to last generation of consoles. Stuff like that is very relatable IMHO and the Kraken part is perfect to show the kind of architect he is. He saw a way to help devs and make the PS5 better, and did it. I hope that he will continue that way and not be silenced by Sony going forward in favor of stupid PR statements.

Some ASMR Cerny goodness!

Sony is a different beast now so we will see if he is allowed the opportunity to share his wisdom.
Yes they've been coy in recent years - but one way or another, they'll have to give some sort of technical briefing to explain things like PSSR and the significant boost in ray-tracing. I imagine it'll follow a similar style to Cerny's PS4 Pro briefing.

Moses85

"In case you didn't see the thing I'm hiding, here it is again"

Top Hat Magic GIF by Brabant in Beelden

ComboBongo

Neo Member
It can’t be identical as it will need to support the new disc drive so I imagine it will look like a scaled up slim.
Seems to be the case and this is also a give away for me, even though it seems obvious and inevitable. Notice how the stand specifies that it’s for the PS5, yet the drive mentions digital edition consoles.

dYudhuz.jpeg
BPHbN1l.jpeg

ShakenG

Would it not be silly to have the Pro standard with a disk drive after all the work they went to make it?
Im 99% sure the Pro will be identical to the slim and the drive will fit it. They're trying there hardest to get that price down afterall.
ComboBongo ComboBongo 👍

Maybe this was obvious already, dunno. Have been busy and tried to keep up best i can.

ComboBongo

Neo Member
Would it not be silly to have the Pro standard with a disk drive after all the work they went to make it?
Im 99% sure the Pro will be identical to the slim and the drive will fit it. They're trying there hardest to get that price down afterall.
ComboBongo ComboBongo 👍

Maybe this was obvious already, dunno. Have been busy and tried to keep up best i can.
I’m sure there will be two SKU’s just as there is now with the slim.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Bill-Bil Kun PS5 PRO

TL;DR:

• Announcement in the first half of September

• Design is slightly thicker than the PS5 Slim, with three stripes down the middle instead of one

• They have seen the box for a model without a disc-drive and can't verify if one with a disc-drive exists yet
I have said this part before so its not news but got to tour their packaging facility in Terre Haute Indiana and the NDA expires very soon, like 48 hours soon

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Nothing stops this train!
damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

When he told us his friends packing facility had either expanded for sony or had made room for sony last year around this time'

That's when I knew for sure his Pro info was legit. It was either for the portal or the Pro
If I remember correctly Sony uses that plant in Terre Haute Indiana (of all places) to package everything for North America, consoles and physical games

I knew back then the expansion was for the Pro I just couldn't say it but its why I brought it up in this thread

Imtjnotu

If I remember correctly Sony uses that plant in Terre Haute Indiana (of all places) to package everything for North America, consoles and physical games

I knew back then the expansion was for the Pro I just couldn't say it but its why I brought it up in this thread
I just rememeber vaguely the details for the expansion. It was around this time last year.

Thanks for being this threads guiding light daddy

Luipadre

Gold Member
I hope this comes out in october before DA so i can play it on the pro at launch. Probably mid november launch tho

King Dazzar

Going by the atrocious support PS have shown me. I'm nervous about getting this directly from PS. Hope there are other retailer options at launch... I also expect price to be £549 to £579, perhaps solely for the digital SKU though.

You’ve been fairly solid, if a little reluctant to spill the beans a few times on this thread.

The hints and latent messages must account for about 40 pages on this thread alone 🤣😎 All have been spot on, even down to what I assume a certain every year shooter will be like on a possible pro type console 😁

Well played sir 👍🦾

Kings Field

Will it be impossible to buy (off Amazon) at launch because of scalpers? What was the PS4 Pro availability like?

I didn’t preorder the PS4 pro and walked into GameStop on launch and picked one up. I think this is a gamble for the scalpers but never underestimate them.

vivftp

I wonder how soon he'll start talking about the PS6 generation of hardware?

Tom has said he had details on the PS6 for over a year at this point. That said, if Sony does come out with some sort of handheld device before the PS6, I'm sure he'll be one of the first to leak it

Loxus

Tom has said he had details on the PS6 for over a year at this point. That said, if Sony does come out with some sort of handheld device before the PS6, I'm sure he'll be one of the first to leak it
He's implying we aren't getting anymore PS5 generation hardware after the PS5 Pro. So the next hardware from Sony is the PS6.

Besides, we already have the PS Portal.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You’ve been fairly solid, if a little reluctant to spill the beans a few times on this thread.

The hints and latent messages must account for about 40 pages on this thread alone 🤣😎 All have been spot on, even down to what I assume a certain every year shooter will be like on a possible pro type console 😁

Well played sir 👍🦾
Thank You So Much GIF by euphoria

I have been a little active in this thread to say the least :)

vivftp

He's implying we aren't getting anymore PS5 generation hardware after the PS5 Pro. So the next hardware from Sony is the PS6.

Besides, we already have the PS Portal.

Tom began leaking the PS5 Pro less than 2 years out from launch. Most of his other hardware leaks were maybe a few months out from the official announcements. There's still more than 4 years to go in this gen. Ample time for there to be more that he might not have any info on yet

schaft0620

The Pro announcement has to be like today or next week.

I see some media people are at SIE today too. Huge reason the info is starting to come out.

Loxus

Tom began leaking the PS5 Pro less than 2 years out from launch. Most of his other hardware leaks were maybe a few months out from the official announcements. There's still more than 4 years to go in this gen. Ample time for there to be more that he might not have any info on yet
Why would Sony release two handhelds in one gen? Not to mention the PS Portal not to long released and is selling very well.

Besides, the next handheld from Sony is already rumored to release in the PS6 generation.
New PlayStation Handheld Powered by AMD Is in Early Development; 18 CUs, 1.8 GHz or Slower GPU to Maintain Compatibility With PS4/PS5 Titles
While the new PlayStation handheld could be just two years away, there's the chance it will take more time to see its release if it is greenlit, as it has been suggested to Moore's Law is Dead that the console will be part of the PlayStation 6 family, releasing as a handheld alternative meant for the Japanese market.

The Pro announcement has to be like today or next week.

I see some media people are at SIE today too. Huge reason the info is starting to come out.

Wouldn't surprise me if Pro is a standalone video and blog drop and the SoP is just showing more games and how they'll run on the Pro.

Preseznik

Neo Member
I’m sure there will be two SKU’s just as there is now with the slim.
Considering the most likely internally forecasted low(er) volume of PS5 Pro sales compared to Slim, it would probably make more sense to go with 1 SKU + addon drive.

There's really no upside with two SKUs after getting us used to this combo with Slim, unless they can make the SKU with built-in somehow cheaper (both to sell and manufacture)?

Wouldn't surprise me if Pro is a standalone video and blog drop and the SoP is just showing more games and how they'll run on the Pro.
New major hardware release so they'll have to make a big impression - I suspect there will be media briefings with some of the major outlets like Wired and Eurogamer, and embargoes lifting during Cerny's technical presentation.

Imtjnotu

I have a bad feeling this will never come out.

Lets put it this way.

Ps4 pro was announced way before september , i want to say may with ff15 and then around august or september with first party games like days gone. And days gone was not released at that point yet .

Right now i dont even know what sony first party game is coming next so ita not like they have anything to show off the machine with.

So i am very sceptical this time around.

So its either coming this year and soon or never.

We are too far into this gen for it to have a major impact not to mention xbox already pulled out of a pro version and is focusing to start fresh with their next gen that will come best case a year after the ps5 pro.

In short , i think its cancelled
Hey bro just checking in to see if you're good

ComboBongo

Neo Member
Considering the most likely internally forecasted low(er) volume of PS5 Pro sales compared to Slim, it would probably make more sense to go with 1 SKU + addon drive.

There's really no upside with two SKUs after getting us used to this combo with Slim, unless they can make the SKU with built-in somehow cheaper (both to sell and manufacture)?
With that logic then there would only be one SKU for the slim too. It really depends on the numbers and if there are enough people buying high end which still buy discs. The manufacturing costs will be negligible considering it’s just a case of snapping in a disc drive and packaging in a different box. Maybe they see this as an opportunity to train people into buying a discless model with the drive as an add on. I could see that too.

vivftp

Why would Sony release two handhelds in one gen? Not to mention the PS Portal not to long released and is selling very well.

Besides, the next handheld from Sony is already rumored to release in the PS6 generation.
New PlayStation Handheld Powered by AMD Is in Early Development; 18 CUs, 1.8 GHz or Slower GPU to Maintain Compatibility With PS4/PS5 Titles
While the new PlayStation handheld could be just two years away, there's the chance it will take more time to see its release if it is greenlit, as it has been suggested to Moore's Law is Dead that the console will be part of the PlayStation 6 family, releasing as a handheld alternative meant for the Japanese market.

Different devices for different markets. One is a steaming only device reliant upon the PS5 (and eventually cloud once they add it) and the other will be an actual platform capable of locally playing games while also giving the option for remote play and cloud streaming.

The DualSense was selling gangbusters yet Sony elected to create a higher end controller with the Edge to cater to a different market at a higher price point. The PS5 has been selling very well yet they're creating a PS5 Pro that's more expensive to cater to a different market. It's precisely the same reasoning they will create a higher end handheld to cater to a different market.

Plus they can build off of the Portal base design and utilize many of the same components to save on cost. It's all about offering options to remain engaged in their ecosystem and this would be one more way. Not to mention things like handheld PCs and the Switch 2 are gonna get a ton of third party support over the next several years so why shouldn't Sony hop on that bandwagon to offer their own variant since devs are already putting in that work to make versions of their games that can run those sort of devices?

Last edited:

Preseznik

Neo Member
With that logic then there would only be one SKU for the slim too. It really depends on the numbers and if there are enough people buying high end which still buy discs. The manufacturing costs will be negligible considering it’s just a case of snapping in a disc drive and packaging in a different box. Maybe they see this as an opportunity to train people into buying a discless model with the drive as an add on. I could see that too.

No, following my logic, where I say we had to get used to the concept with the Slim, there wouldn't be one SKU for the Slim.
That was the trial run, end game is discless SKU + addon, the question is when, with the PS5 Pro or PS6.

Top Bottom