• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

ComboBongo

Neo Member
Considering the most likely internally forecasted low(er) volume of PS5 Pro sales compared to Slim, it would probably make more sense to go with 1 SKU + addon drive.

There's really no upside with two SKUs after getting us used to this combo with Slim, unless they can make the SKU with built-in somehow cheaper (both to sell and manufacture)?
With that logic then there would only be one SKU for the slim too. It really depends on the numbers and if there are enough people buying high end which still buy discs. The manufacturing costs will be negligible considering it’s just a case of snapping in a disc drive and packaging in a different box. Maybe they see this as an opportunity to train people into buying a discless model with the drive as an add on. I could se
No, following my logic, where I say we had to get used to the concept with the Slim, there wouldn't be one SKU for the Slim.
That was the trial run, end game is discless SKU + addon, the question is when, with the PS5 Pro or PS6.
Yeah fair enough, I get what you’re saying and I agree that it’s the inevitable goal. But as you say, is it now or is it PS6. Manufacturing is mostly irrelevant so it’s just a case of whether the strategy is to get people used to it now or not. If the data shows that Pro customers typically go digital then I could easily see the one SKU option now. If it’s still split then I imagine we see two SKU’s.

Sethbacca

No, following my logic, where I say we had to get used to the concept with the Slim, there wouldn't be one SKU for the Slim.
That was the trial run, end game is discless SKU + addon, the question is when, with the PS5 Pro or PS6.
Wouldn't be surprised to see digital as the base model of the PS6 and other models going forward and the disc as an addon for those that want it. A lot of people aren't going to want to give up backward compatibility with their physical library at this point.

MikeM

Gold Member
Really curious to see what kind of RT perf this will be pushing. Not sure if i’ll buy as may elect tk sell my 7900xt and go with a 5080.

Loxus

Different devices for different markets. One is a steaming only device reliant upon the PS5 (and eventually cloud once they add it) and the other will be an actual platform capable of locally playing games while also giving the option for remote play and cloud streaming.

The DualSense was selling gangbusters yet Sony elected to create a higher end controller with the Edge to cater to a different market at a higher price point. The PS5 has been selling very well yet they're creating a PS5 Pro that's more expensive to cater to a different market. It's precisely the same reasoning they will create a higher end handheld to cater to a different market.

Plus they can build off of the Portal base design and utilize many of the same components to save on cost. It's all about offering options to remain engaged in their ecosystem and this would be one more way. Not to mention things like handheld PCs and the Switch 2 are gonna get a ton of third party support over the next several years so why shouldn't Sony hop on that bandwagon to offer their own variant since devs are already putting in that work to make versions of their games that can run those sort of devices?
Think back what happened to PS Vita and look at the issues the Xbox Series S is facing.

Devs isn't going to optimize for a handheld if their not even doing it for the consoles. Which is why Sony did the PS Portal.

Loxus

and of course all of the uninformed people with no information suggesting there's a 50-50 chance that it may or not come out this year.
At least I do my research before posting.

Plus I can see you being ban before your account reach 1 year old.

bundylove

and of course all of the uninformed people with no information suggesting there's a 50-50 chance that it may or not come out this year.
I go by common sense.

What we see in the world right now scares the shit out of me.

Countless wars almost at the brink of full out nuclear war.
The worst inflation since ww2.
Food prices at record highs and so on and so on.

Election is coming up that can once again shape the world one way or the other.

Too high of a risk to release or commit to anything prior to it.

Just think back what was during covid and that ps5 series came out at the peak of it and there was none available.

If i am a business man, i wait till january once we see all the results playing out from events i described above

jm89

I go by common sense.

Just think back what was during covid and that ps5 series came out at the peak of it and there was none available.

If i am a business man, i wait till january once we see all the results playing out from events i described above
Forgot to add.

The earth is also flat.

bundylove

Forgot to add.

The earth is also flat.
I run a business. I go by economics and not wishful thinking.

You guys can make fun of me all you want but this is my take.

Doesnt mean i am right. I am probably most likely wrong. Which would be great for all of us but i need to stay realistic and not be dissapointed for no reason.

Having said that, for the pro to make sense, it will habe to be released this holiday.
Mind you this time without the stimulus check support so you have to earn your money for it🤭

I go by common sense.

Doesnt mean i am right. I am probably most likely wrong. Which would be great for all of us but i need to stay realistic and not be dissapointed for no reason.

Having said that, for the pro to make sense, it will habe to be released this holiday.
Mind you this time without the stimulus check support so you have to earn your money for it🤭
WDU2nng.jpeg

finalflame

What does any of this even mean? What economics are you going by? Oy vey. Hopefully you run your business better than you theorize about console hardware.

kevboard

Digital foundry article on this implying that there might not be a disc drive version. Honestly if that is the case there is no way in hell I am buying it. Will be the biggest let down ever if that is the case. I'm sure it will be, but even so it's got me nervous.

they probably want to make additional money by selling the overpriced disc drive separately.

maybe they will sell the Pro at the same price as the current disc version of the Slim, so that the "price of the console" seems fair, even tho it will be 80 bucks more in reality

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Digital foundry article on this implying that there might not be a disc drive version. Honestly if that is the case there is no way in hell I am buying it. Will be the biggest let down ever if that is the case. I'm sure it will be, but even so it's got me nervous.
Sony would never do this.

And even if they do, they will have a disc drive attachment available for purchase.

welshrat

Sony would never do this.

And even if they do, they will have a disc drive attachment available for purchase.
Yeah I know but the very talk of it has me concerned that's all. It would be suicide but until it's confirmed I will be nervous.

Df saying they are not sure a disc drive will be available. Clickbait I guess.

Last edited:

ComboBongo

Neo Member
Well if there isn’t then just buy one for it.

welshrat

Well if there isn’t then just buy one for it.
Oh I have no issue with that. It was simply the.

"The PS5 Pro will be offered as a digital-only model, reportedly to keep costs down, though today's report suggests it may still be possible to affix the PS5 disc drive add-on to it - although this is not confirmed either way."

That had me concerned.

vivftp

Think back what happened to PS Vita and look at the issues the Xbox Series S is facing.

Devs isn't going to optimize for a handheld if their not even doing it for the consoles. Which is why Sony did the PS Portal.

There's more than one way to skin a cat and it's been brought up many times in the threads on this hypothetical handheld. I'll just quote myself:

The best case scenario that I see, Sony releases a new handheld based on the Portal blueprint, but of course chonkier. This device can natively play PS1, PS2, PS4, PSP games downloaded from PSN. It can also play select PS5 games that have been specifically downported to run on this device, so case by case basis. Additionally, if/when Sony develops an emulator for PS Vita and PS3 games, add those to the above list for native playback. Additionally it can do remote play and cloud streaming.

Package it up and offer it for at least $499 USD. That way the Portal remains a viable option for those who only want remote play (and cloud streaming once it's eventually added) at $199 and those who want the ability to play games natively get their option at $499. Use this gen as a testbed for such a strategy for the handheld device to be released next gen around the mid-way point just like the PS6 Pro.

So unlike the Vita, this potential device doesn't require its own dedicated library of purpose built games and because the Switch 2 and handheld PCs exist, it's guaranteed that a wide variety of third parties will support it so long as it's in the same general ballpark of power. First party support would vary from title to title, depending on how hard the game pushes the PS5 itself and how feasible it'd be to scale it down. Games that can't be ported to this device can still fall back on remote play and cloud streaming for a portable experience.

Unlike the Series S this doesn't have to be a mandatory requirement for all devs, meaning it doesn't have to hold the PS5 back in any way, shape or form. A purely optional device would still see new game support for years to come while also having a massive back catalog of games to fall back on.

To your point of devs not optimizing for a handheld, many already are! That's what devices like the Steam Deck and Rog Ally and Switch 2 are all about. Any third party game that could run on those devices could run on this hypothetical Sony handheld. Sony would just be tapping into a market and dev effort that's already there to begin with to support this endeavor. There are no downsides to Sony or to gamers, only more options.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

I dont understand this. Why does Sony have to make a disc drive SKU when they already have a disc drive attachment?

welshrat

I dont understand this. Why does Sony have to make a disc drive SKU when they already have a disc drive attachment?
attachment is fine, it was DF implying that there might not even be that option. I know its unlikely but with Xbox making a digital only Series X I am just slightly nervous as really want a Pro but no disk drive is a massive issue.

Last edited:
Of course you will be able to add a drive. Digital Clownry better stop writing such rubbish.

If someone with a physical collection wants to play his games on the pro what will he do??

KevinK15

Neo Member
Remember when Xbox forced people to buy Xbox One with Kinect and how bad that hurt them? I don't think Sony will force people to Digital only. I'm not going to upgrade if the Pro is digital only as that means some games I have, I would have to re-buy in digital format.

DJ12

I have said this part before so its not news but got to tour their packaging facility in Terre Haute Indiana and the NDA expires very soon, like 48 hours soon
I'll be back in two days, I expect guts to be spilled sir ;)

I do find it funny people doubt you when you've said that you seen the packaging facilties which I assume we're packing ps5 pros or at least getting ready to do so.

sachos

Things are heating up uh? Next 2 weeks are gonna be amazing for hype. Now that we are potentially getting closer we should bet on price no? If there is a no disc version i can see them doing 550 for digital and 650 for disc version. They would need to decrease PS5 Slim price though. 350 Digital 450 Disc? Nah seems too good to be true.

Last edited:

bundylove

Things are heating up uh? Next 2 weeks are gonna be amazing for hype. Now that we are potentially getting closer we should bet on price no? If there is a no disc version i can see them doing 550 for digital and 650 for disc version. They would need to decrease PS5 Slim price though. 350 Digital 450 Disc? Nah seems too good to be true.
Be assured it will start at 600.

attachment is fine, it was DF implying that there might not even be that option. I know its unlikely but with Xbox making a digital only Series X I am just slightly nervous as really want a Pro but no disk drive is a massive issue.

It's just Digital Foundry being shills for M$ again, and shitting on any Playstation news to halt their momentum. But you can't stop this train, and neither can DF.

Top Bottom